Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76 Players Given Lifetime Ban for Homophobic Attacks

Comments

• parrotpholkparrotpholk Member EpicPosts: 4,452
    edited December 2018
    Grunty said:
    You can either stay in a bubble and let asshats take over society or you can toughen up, call them out for their behavior and ostracize and ban them in order to help make the best of the life you and other non-asshats have to live.

That ban hammer isn't heavy enough.

Without getting overly political or preachy I disagree.

Everyone needs to have a thick skin and cannot get offended by every poor attempt at humor out there.  To ostracize and ban is what the people claiming to be persecuted are fighting against so you would propose to have the same behavior in return because you believe whatever it is on your end.

This is the problem with the world in that there is now zero tolerance for any opinion that it is not your own.  So instead of creating acceptance and tolerance you have created the ultimate intolerance.  People need to grow up and move on instead of thinking they can change every individuals way of thinking.  World is full of individuals and they are every single one entitled to their personal views and the expression of those views.  You may not agree with them but it is their right.  I am not a fan of bigots or the antifa crowd but both have the same right to have their views.  If both ends would accept that and move on then the world would be better.  Instead we get riots and violence in the streets.

Somewhere along the line people actually came to think that their views and beliefs trumped someone else which is a shame.  It kills diversity and does not promote it.

/rant off
    newbismxSlapshot1188GdemamiPhryKyleran
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,568
    I have a controversial different take on this. I'm for not banning anyone. If you can't handle words you are way to sensitive. I'm not politically correct. PvP should be ruthless and crazy. Let all things happen. Good or bad people are who they are. I feel today's younger generation is way too sensitive and needs to toughen up a bit. I love it when players can say what they want and do what they want. It makes PvP more exciting and tactical. Words can't hurt you. They are just words and you can ignore it.

Cheers...

• GruntyGrunty Member RarePosts: 8,587
    edited December 2018
    Grunty said:
    You can either stay in a bubble and let asshats take over society or you can toughen up, call them out for their behavior and ostracize and ban them in order to help make the best of the life you and other non-asshats have to live.

Everyone needs to have a thick skin and cannot get offended by every poor attempt at humor out there.  To ostracize and ban is what the people claiming to be persecuted are fighting against so you would propose to have the same behavior in return because you believe whatever it is on your end.

This is the problem with the world in that there is now zero tolerance for any opinion that it is not your own.  So instead of creating acceptance and tolerance you have created the ultimate intolerance.  People need to grow up and move on instead of thinking they can change every individuals way of thinking.  World is full of individuals and they are every single one entitled to their personal views and the expression of those views.  You may not agree with them but it is their right.  I am not a fan of bigots or the antifa crowd but both have the same right to have their views.  If both ends would accept that and move on then the world would be better.  Instead we get riots and violence in the streets.

Somewhere along the line people actually came to thing that their views and beliefs trumped someone elses which is a shame.  It kills diversity and does not promote it.

/rant off
    I can accept some behavior from friends because I know where they are coming from.  I will not accept that behavior from people who are not my friends. 

Having been sexually assaulted twice in my lifetime there is some behavior I will not accept from anyone. 
    SBFordKyleran
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Grunty said:
    Grunty said:

Somewhere along the line people actually came to thing that their views and beliefs trumped someone elses which is a shame.  It kills diversity and does not promote it.

/rant off
    I can accept some behavior from friends because I know where they are coming from.  I will not accept that behavior from people who are not my friends. 

Having been sexually assaulted twice in my lifetime there is some behavior I will not accept from anyone. 
    Somewhat hypocritical that you are fine with  your friends doing it but not someone else so I would be lying if I was to say I understand that.  You take time to understand behavior from one group over another.

I would never advocate for sexual abuse or violence of any kind though against someone.  We are talking about words and someones bad attempt at humor and if they should get a lifetime ban for that in an online environment.  That is a big difference between that and assault.
    Slapshot1188JeffSpicoliConstantineMerusGdemamimmolouPhryKyleran
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,056
    Now here is my take on it. 

Had the asshats just hurled their insults, taken some potshots and then when asked to leave left... I might be agreeing with the "boys be boys" club... But as far as the story goes, they continued after having been asked to stop and when no other indication was shown that the people on the receiving end was enjoying the experience. 

At that point we move in to an actual legal situation and the actions of the arsehats can be seen as actual harassment. 

And that is when they fall of what ever moral highground they had. There is never a reason to verbally abuse someone who have asked for said treatment to stop, if you do... You are harassing. Add to that the fact that using homophobic slurs is also illegal (where i live) you have two strikes right there. 

No... Banning these asshats was the right call. If they want to come back and try to act like decent human beings. Gamestop is over there. --->

If that is to much.... 

How about i spraypaint the word for people who touch children on your house and car... After all you just need to toughen up, car and house still works fine. They are just words right. 
    SBFordmmolouKyleran

Tawess gaming

Tawess soapbox

This have been a good conversation

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 2,884
    *sigh*  Voice chat, the eternal bugaboo.

A game that provides voice chat but offers no tools to monitor, record or report issues (at either end, apparently) does its customers a disservice.  If the name calling and insensitive behavior occurred via text, at least Bethesda would have a record of the specifics and could take action, including referring the behavior to legal authorities, if appropriate.  That Bethesda could (and did) only take action on this matter after there was a video of the event posted on an unrelated site, puts Bethesda in a bad light.

I wouldn't mind proximity chat in games if there were tools for both the customer and customer service to control the content.  If these features existed, then proximity voice chat *could* add degrees of depth to immersion in a game, making the world feel more alive.  I might even install the mic and headphones I bought 3 years ago.  (If I could find them).

Without controls and monitoring, all voice chat currently does (in all games, not just Bethesda's) is provide the technology for bad behavior to be imposed on others.  The technology isn't evil; the people spouting the offensive language are.

SBFord

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

tawess said:

How about i spraypaint the word for people who touch children on your house and car... After all you just need to toughen up, car and house still works fine. They are just words right. 
    Yes yes it is just words.  Would not affect me in the slightest as I am not a pedophile.  I would however press charges for vandalism which is a crime.  I can repaint my car and house with your money for your trouble that the court will award me.
    Phry
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 10,451
    tawess said:
    Now here is my take on it. 

Had the asshats just hurled their insults, taken some potshots and then when asked to leave left... I might be agreeing with the "boys be boys" club... But as far as the story goes, they continued after having been asked to stop and when no other indication was shown that the people on the receiving end was enjoying the experience. 

At that point we move in to an actual legal situation and the actions of the arsehats can be seen as actual harassment. 

And that is when they fall of what ever moral highground they had. There is never a reason to verbally abuse someone who have asked for said treatment to stop, if you do... You are harassing. Add to that the fact that using homophobic slurs is also illegal (where i live) you have two strikes right there. 

No... Banning these asshats was the right call. If they want to come back and try to act like decent human beings. Gamestop is over there. --->

If that is to much.... 

Hyperbolic and not helpful as you compare apples to oranges.  In the real world if I could press a button and no longer hear idiots that would be great.  At least we have the option in the virtual world. (Not even going to touch the silliness about spray painting (ruining property). 
    parrotpholkConstantineMerusPhry

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• WBadgerWBadger Member UncommonPosts: 252
    There's a significant difference between simply hurling the words in passing versus actively following them around, killing them while citing them.   I do believe that some people do need a tougher skin; but there would be no difference if the group were to change their homophobic slurs into racial slurs.  This isn't even a case of "they need a safe space," because the other group wasn't just saying light jokes but were actively saying the most extreme things they can to offend the other group.  If they were espousing the same rhetoric in real life following some guy around, they would be in court the next day for hate crimes.  So why should Bethesda give them a pass in their own game? 
    JeffSpicoli
  • FinvegaFinvega Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Grunty said:

You and yours have taken over society. I don't let people have power over me with words.
    Phry
    tawess said:

Yes yes it is just words.  Would not affect me in the slightest as I am not a pedophile.  I would however press charges for vandalism which is a crime.  I can repaint my car and house with your money for your trouble that the court will award me.
     True. I am sure it would not hurt you the least that everyone in your neighborhood saw, heck maybe it ended up on the web... spread around town and maybe even your state/district/county and what ever. Still just words right. Does not impact you at all what other whisper about behind your back, the cross locks you get.. Some people subtly moving their kids away from you at family dinners. Next of kin stop calling, invites to parties and stuff stop coming. But they are just words. 

But here is the deal, we have hard actual facts that not everyone is as strong as you (think you are) and maybe we should try to work towards a community that has the aim of keeping people safe. 

Why even give this sort of behavior any legitimacy. At work, any kid doing this would get the sternest of talking and i would bring it up with the parents. So should we not try to ask for a tiny bit more from people who are more or less adults... then we do from kids in elementary school. 

SBFordmmolou

Tawess gaming

Tawess soapbox

Wankyudo said:
    There's a significant difference between simply hurling the words in passing versus actively following them around, killing them while citing them.   I do believe that some people do need a tougher skin; but there would be no difference if the group were to change their homophobic slurs into racial slurs.  This isn't even a case of "they need a safe space," because the other group wasn't just saying light jokes but were actively saying the most extreme things they can to offend the other group.  If they were espousing the same rhetoric in real life following some guy around, they would be in court the next day for hate crimes.  So why should Bethesda give them a pass in their own game? 
    If I were to shoot someone in real life I'd be in court as well.

ConstantineMerusPhry

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

Wankyudo said:
     If they were espousing the same rhetoric in real life following some guy around, they would be in court the next day for hate crimes.  So why should Bethesda give them a pass in their own game? 
    Realistically they would not have the balls to do that in the real world.  Bethesda did not give them a pass they suspended them for 3 days which was appropriate.  They only banned them because the asshat posted the youtube video.  Bethesda is like the NFL,  Kareem Hunt punched and kicked a woman while she was down in Feb and NOTHING was done but a video shows up and they try to all of a sudden do the right thing and release the guy.  Did not seem to matter while he was leading them to a 10-2 record or whatever it is.  

Fact is Bethesda reacted when punishment had already been delivered.

Note:  I in no way support these morons but just believe that punishment was dished out and Bethesda should have stood by that.
    SBFordGdemami
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,227
    gamers are homophobic. tis is nothing new.
    Phry
  • InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    This is part of the reason I don't use voice comms.

Between over the top vulgar comments, those kids who simply scream all the time, people who have whole conversations in a public channel. I feel like there is less actual communication about playing the game than just random crap being thrown around.

Bethesda has every right to ban them, when you sign up for anything, even here. You are saying I am giving up my free speech to follow your rules. If I break those rules you can ban me. Such a public banning may be Bethesda's way of scaring people who might do this later. Make an example out of someone early on, it's not unheard of.

And voice should always be opt-in.

SBFordPhaserlight
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,112

As for the guy who reported them, well, he needs to grow a much thicker skin. If this kind of thing sends him crying to Mommy Bethesda, he's going to have a very hard time in this world when he runs across actual hate based on superficial characteristics. There are no safe spaces to run to in the world at large. 
    Reporting can be and is often used in PvP games as another type of trolling.
    GdemamiPhry
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
    tawess said:
    tawess said:

True. I am sure it would not hurt you the least that everyone in your neighborhood saw, heck maybe it ended up on the web... spread around town and maybe even your state/district/county and what ever. Still just words right. Does not impact you at all what other whisper about behind your back, the cross locks you get.. Some people subtly moving their kids away from you at family dinners. Next of kin stop calling, invites to parties and stuff stop coming. But they are just words. 

Here is the thing mate.  My wife is black and my daughter is mixed.  People whisper all the time.  People I grew up with have said some god awful things about me and my family.  Hell my backwoods bigoted family has said horrible things and we do not get invited to certain functions.  

And none of it affects my day to day happiness.  I love my family, my country, my friends and my life.  Someone no matter how many laws will always have something negative to say.  Post it where you want and show it on social media.  It does not matter.  Those idiots who look down on us have every right to do so because in their mind it is what they believe.  As long as no cross is burning on my yard or violence because of it then it does not matter in the larger world.

There has been hate as long as there has been love and it is how you live your life that matters.  If you let everyone else opinion or views affect you then they have won.

kitaradXodicGdemami
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    This is why forced voice chat on EVERYONE is a failure.

This will only be more and more common as more developers force voice chat on everyone
    SBFordmmolouPhry

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

This will only be more and more common as more developers force voice chat on everyone
    That will at least force a push towards having the law catch up with the times. Making sure that actual harassment online get taken serious. Maybe with tools to help the police investigating this sort of shit. 

We do not accept people doing stuff like that to each other on the streets, nor should we on-line. 
    SBFordTEKK3NMendel

Tawess gaming

Tawess soapbox

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 2,742

Xodic

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,067
    It is interesting that we can ignore random stranger's hateful comments in everyday life, but face a meltdown when the exact same thing happens in the online world. What are the barriers that keep our feeling of self worth safe in the real world, but we tend to remove them in the online world?

And more importantly why?
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member EpicPosts: 5,940
    Why are these douchebags being rewarded with a lifetime ban? It would be more of a punishment to force them to play Fallout 76 everyday.
    TEKK3NVitaminKSlapshot1188SBFordJeffSpicoli
  • VitaminKVitaminK Member UncommonPosts: 74
    I thought this was freaking hilarious. Getting butt-hurt (ba-dun tss) from an ONLINE PLAYER?! Oh noes! QQ Ban them!

See.. this again is the perpetuation of incorrect information.  Nobody is forced into voice chat.  It is literally the first option under Audio.

People keep repeating made up crap.  There are plenty of actual faults with F76 we do not need to make up fictitious ones.
    VitaminKConstantineMerus

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 913
    Although i dont support their behavior, I thought teh Original 3 day ban was ludicrous and totally lacklustre.
    Then afterwards during that time when they got to review footage they did a permanent ban, this is going from 1 extream to the other. a 3-12mth ban would have sufficed. Then if they were apart of any other issue around that after they came back a lifetime ban.

It would have sufficed to say there is no tolence for that attitude out there in an online game, they should also have been made to make a formal public appolgy to the people that were involved after the ban was due to be lifted to then have it lifted.
    Gdemami
This discussion has been closed.