Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Classic - Why?

VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 626
Why wait when there are private servers available now?  I don't understand this logic.....

They are free to play, and you know that Blizzard is going to have the economy screwed up due to the inevitable purchase of WoW Tokens.  

I've played these servers earlier this year.  They are fun....for a little while.  Then you realize the questing system has you going ALL over the place just to make a tiny bit of progress.  Then the gear you acquire is the (obviously) the same old crappy graphical stuff you've ignored for over a decade, because it is so lackluster.  The talent trees, which I've missed, unfortunately do not inspire.  You end up doing the same old builds you did a decade ago.  

Look, I like classic servers and progression servers.  I do.  But WoW Classic is just the same as it is now, only more "irritating".  Whereas something like EQ Progression servers, and classic private servers offer something not available today.....original gameplay.

I find it hilarious that the company that made the dang game takes 1.5-2 years to release their Classic servers, when fans (who probably do not get paid to do so) did it in their spare time in WAY less time.  I would forgive Blizzard if they were doing something to the new servers that could accommodate that long wait.  But as far as the beta showed, they are not.  

Comments

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 404
    edited December 2
    The reason for the delay is that Blizzard is trying to force the old game into the new infrastructure...  you know square peg into round hole sort of thing.  Private servers aren't trying to do that.

Yes, it is true Blizzard's Classic and private server won't be the same.  But on that note, Blizzard will get the raids and dungeons up and running they way they should be running as opposed to the private servers who just don't have the code to do it.  So in essence, private servers aren't true to classic any more than Blizzard will be.

Now the reason for waiting has more to do with the fact that a Blizzard server isn't going to be constantly hounded by DSoD attacks, or go down for lengthy amount of times, or have the real possibility that they will be shut down at any moment.

People want the old play style back with the promise of stability.  Private servers can't promise that.  People can and have been playing private servers... but the reality is, they are hosted on the other side of the world so ping is horrible for NA players and the player base really comes mostly from the other side of the world... so play times are also affected.  It's dead as a door nail during peak NA times but bristling with activity when you would normally be asleep or at work. 

So, take a moment to educate yourself on just what is going on and stop watching the you-tube rants for a moment.  Classic will be here soon enough.  It won't be true classic any more than private servers are true classic.  But what it will be is the old play style, which is what everyone wants to come back... not the glitzy graphics, transmog, LFD, et al.  Call it an Amish take on WoW.  

Post edited by btdt on
    TheocritusSovrathLokero
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 7,699
    Why WoW classic ?
    I'd personally love to have the old talent trees, the old gameplay and the old world back.
    "Old" meaning "before Cataclysm".
    I've played "private" servers, but they aren't legal, can be closed anytime, and are at the mercy of the dishonest people who run them.

So yeah, I'm going to give money to Blizzard for classic. I actually can't wait to roll my characters on such a server next summer.
    TorvalPhryMadFrenchieKyleran
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• WankyudoWankyudo Member UncommonPosts: 201
    There's also the fact that your favorite private server can get killed off at any time.  Y'know, like Nostalrius because if they are taking donations then they are taking money using blizzard's IP.  Something about assurance that you will have the character you invested in the next day makes classic a tad bit more worth it then going to a private server.
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 456
    I played Nostalrius and Lighthope for 2 years and I quit the day after Blizzard announced Classics.
    Reason being because Vanilla have limited content and I didn't want to risk getting burned out by the time Classic releases.

Plus, as others pointed out, those servers can be shut any time, which is an extra reason that made me decide to just wait for the official servers.
    MadFrenchie
  • GutlardGutlard Member UncommonPosts: 419
    I'm waiting for a WoTLK classic server myself!

The good ol' days!

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 5,088
    Wankyudo said:
    There's also the fact that your favorite private server can get killed off at any time.  Y'know, like Nostalrius because if they are taking donations then they are taking money using blizzard's IP.  Something about assurance that you will have the character you invested in the next day makes classic a tad bit more worth it then going to a private server.
    I find it funny that Nostalrius got shut down, next thing you they are in bed with Blizzard, I think they did it voluntarily for a big payoff.  Other servers are still up and working fine without a single glitch. 

I'm on one, have been for YEARS and its always up, almost NO BUGS and a healthy population. In fact I just started again, I had a Rogue 11 and now is 14, I'll be playing it in a few minuets, last night I made a friend and we did a good part of Westfall together.  I can't wait to get level 20 so I can make poisons for my weapons and do the SI:7 quest :) 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 5,231
    Wankyudo said:
    I find it funny that Nostalrius got shut down, next thing you they are in bed with Blizzard, I think they did it voluntarily for a big payoff.  Other servers are still up and working fine without a single glitch. 

I'm on one, have been for YEARS and its always up, almost NO BUGS and a healthy population. In fact I just started again, I had a Rogue 11 and now is 14, I'll be playing it in a few minuets, last night I made a friend and we did a good part of Westfall together.  I can't wait to get level 20 so I can make poisons for my weapons and do the SI:7 quest :) 
    Has Blizzard threatened the folks who run the server you play on with a lawsuit?

If you were running such a server would you take the risk of financial ruin?

There is nothing - at all - to suggest there was any sort of financial payoff. 

Nostralius was - by all accounts - a large, well known, vocal and growing private server. The vocal bit may be why it got hit with a lawsuit. That plus making an example of course.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 6,902
    TEKK3N said:
    I played Nostalrius and Lighthope for 2 years and I quit the day after Blizzard announced Classics.
    Reason being because Vanilla have limited content and I didn't want to risk getting burned out by the time Classic releases.

Plus, as others pointed out, those servers can be shut any time, which is an extra reason that made me decide to just wait for the official servers.
    At this point, if you're interested in vanilla WoW gameplay, your best bet is to just wait for Blizzard's attempt.

For all their recent faults, there's nothing to suggest Blizzard's classic server won't be much higher-quality technical experiences than private servers.
    Kyleran

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,166
    I assume Blizzard is putting in the effort to make their Classic servers the way that the actual Vanilla experience should have been.

In other words, I'd hope all the things that were broken and unbearable about original era will be fixed.  Ex. Useless talent trees, etc.

I personally think Vanilla WoW was pretty bleh, so I don't really care one way or the other, but what they are doing is vastly different from what those private servers do.

I remember what a massive amount of work they put into those EQ progression servers(probably still are, since it's their biggest moneymaker at this point :lol: ).