Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamestop with large 3rd quarter loss

parrotpholkparrotpholk Member RarePosts: 3,886
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/11/30/gamestop-reports-third-quarter-loss-of-4886-million

They have also adjusted 4th quarter to be less than expected.  Although I quit buying physical media a while ago it will be sad to see gamestop eventually go the way of the dodo bird.

I still go in for some collectible stuff as the one near base here has a great selection.  They are one of the better ones in Norfolk.

The next xbox and playstation are said to still include optical drives but at some point I have to believe those will be gone.  My newest PC build does not have an optical drive this time either.  If preowned games were that much cheaper than a new one then I might buy that way but only thing that makes preowned good is you can return in seven days and exchange for something else. 

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,717
    When I was up there, there was a place called Cool Stuff where I got my stuff.  Never new, but always way competitive to GS so I never bothered. 
    Torval
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member RarePosts: 1,515
    Always on online DRM even in singleplayer games has crushed the used gaming market. Gamestop is on it's way to meet Blockbuster at the Polycarbonate Bridge.

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 19,513
    Gamestop is done - what we are seeing are the final death throes.

But yeah it's dead Jim 
    Trolldefender99
  • parrotpholkparrotpholk Member RarePosts: 3,886
    The one I go to is the regions collectible storage basically and they have more of that than games as far as wall space goes.  Tons of digital code cards as well versus boxes on the wall.  Will be sad to see it go in a way as the folks were always fun to talk with at least at this one.  Its one of those things that I always thought would be there growing up but saw the writing on the wall a few years ago.
  • VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632
    I used to love Gamestop years ago.  But then their policies (returns, used games, hounding you for pre-orders, memberships, etc.) made me hate them.  Oh man I have some stories...  I wanted to see these stores fall.  

However, I had hoped another, better game store would take up the mantle and simply de-throne them.  I don't want to see them fall, due to changes in the retail climate, like what is happening now.  
  • cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 5,932
    You know you can get used games from Amazon. I stopped buying from Gamestop the second hand games when I started buying them from Amazon. I guess Amazon is partly responsible for this too.
  • GutlardGutlard Member UncommonPosts: 440
    I was sad to hear that GS was voted one of the worst places to work in previous years. I remember lots of hours spent walking through Electronics Boutique adding and taking off games from my Wish List, asking the helpful people their thoughts and opinions on games (they knew it all) and just being able to immerse myself in that gamer lifestyle with like-minded people.

I miss seeing all the movies at Blockbuster also, and talking to fellow movie nerds. I wish these companies could figure out a way to stay afloat and relevant in current times. I also like going to big book stores and enjoying that new book smell and being around fellow book worms.

I always wonder how much we give up for convenience sake. Is it really better in the long run?

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• parrotpholkparrotpholk Member RarePosts: 3,886
    Gutlard said:

I always wonder how much we give up for convenience sake. Is it really better in the long run?

Gut Out!
    For me it is about the degrading idea of customer service in the service industry.  

Once upon a time you did go in and talk to people or was greeted when entering or going up to a register.  These days you are more than likely to just be stared at until you initiate conversation or have someone just ask "what do you need" with a blank expression.

I can get that from amazon or any other online outlet and not feel like I suck for spending money at an establishment or asking a question.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member UncommonPosts: 756
    It is just more convenient buying online either through amazon or steam.  Retail going down hill.

The better question is if steam can hold the spot.  I heard epic gaming making new plateform which only taking 12% cut instead of steam's 30%.  So steam might drop their price to compete which is a good thing.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,185
    The hard sell on the game Insurance and power up reward membership was a bit much, They should have gotten a liquor license instead. One stop shop for Games and Beer ? Yes please.
    parrotpholk

• vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 281
    GS is a dinosaur.  Long past due for them to go away.  They were the worst of all the brick and mortar gaming stores.  I would only go there if the other ones were out of stock.

I do though miss the old computer gaming stores of "yesteryear" such as electroniques boutique, software etc. and places like that.  Was awesome to go in and computer games dominated the store.  Boxes of boxes of games with paper manuals inside.  I remember when the stores started shifting and the console side started being larger than the computer side and though to myself...  "I don't like wtf is going on here!".  Unfortunately, due to absence of gamer good judgement and taste that trend has continued and left us with dumbed down console games for the most part.
    JeffSpicoliTrolldefender99
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 6,477
    The only thing I have bought there in the last 5 years is Steam gift cards.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member UncommonPosts: 398
    parrotpholk said:
    They have also adjusted 4th quarter to be less than expected.  Although I quit buying physical media a while ago it will be sad to see gamestop eventually go the way of the dodo bird Blockbuster.

Fixed
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 25,538
    thundered said:
    The hard sell on the game Insurance and power up reward membership was a bit much, They should have gotten a liquor license instead. One stop shop for Games and Beer ? Yes please.
    Wouldn't have been a bad idea.

Somehow recreate themselves so they are a social hub? Not quite a video cafe but maybe hold local competitions, have guest speakers (like book stores) and keep themselves viable in the local community?

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,185
    Sovrath said:
    thundered said:
    Wouldn't have been a bad idea.

Somehow recreate themselves so they are a social hub? Not quite a video cafe but maybe hold local competitions, have guest speakers (like book stores) and keep themselves viable in the local community?
    I'll tell you this much, when Steam starts delivering 6 packs of Heineken and a pizza i may never leave the house again, Suck it Epic game store

Sovrathmaskedweasel

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 5,387
    A near $500M loss despite the sale of Spring Mobile for $700M - so $1.2B loss on basic sales. And this in what it seemed to be suggesting was a "good" quarter. 

Seems rumours of the patients life have been greatly exaggerated.

Torval
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 10,003
    edited January 7
    Sometimes I can't believe how far they've gone, but honestly I knew they would eventually die off. I used to go to EB Games before they were bought out, in my area, we had 4 gamestops within a 5 mile radius. True story, there was one in a mall, one outside the mall, on across the freeway from the mall, and then one at the next intersection of the mall.  

The one across the freeway was an EB Games that, when they were bought out, they kept the staff on.  It was a bright, clean store, large, where I would go and just chat it up with the workers there. We would play games on the test machines and talk about what's coming out next.  Then Gamestop started closing stores, and just like a big company, they didn't know nor care much about which stores they closed.

They kept open the one in the mall, and they kept open the one furthest from the mall, which also happened to be next to a cigar shop, so as soon as you step into the store, you smell nothing but smoke.  Now the choices are, get out of a car and walk a mall to go to the store, or go to a store where you can hardly breathe because smoke is filtering in from next door.  

They could have transitioned to way better options, but they still believe they're primarily retail, when in reality, they need to treat it more like hospitality.  I went into the stores and bought stuff because of the people at that EB Games, because i could play with them and hang out with them in a play for like-minded peeps.  Not because it was the only place I could go to get games. 
    Post edited by maskedweasel on
    Torval