Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76 Review - Our Verdict on Bethesda's Wasteland Extravaganza - Fallout 76 Review

1678911

Comments

  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 4,826
    M.D.33 said:
    Is this review an early april fools joke! ;)
    No. It's a late one.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 2,937


    AngryJoe is not so kind:






    Angry Joe is a Flamboyant Thespian douchebag, that shills for the highest bidder.

    The score was fair. Video games like everything else these days are partisan, and if you don't agree with the group think, your are evil and must be destroyed.

    Personally my opinions are my own, and let me give a big crap covered middle finger to anyone that has an issue with that.
    "Thespian"?

    ...is that meant to be a insult?  If so, it's a weird one.

    "The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 4 tracks in Distance

  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 4,826
    I haven't seen any examples of AJ being a shill. His sponsored videos are disclosed, his opinions are fairly consistent, and I haven't seen much from him that is out of line with what I already thought.

    If anything, he's a corporate hater, not a shill. The worst one can rightly accuse him of is being a fanboy.
    Phaserlight
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,040
    Aeander said:
    I haven't seen any examples of AJ being a shill. His sponsored videos are disclosed, his opinions are fairly consistent, and I haven't seen much from him that is out of line with what I already thought.

    If anything, he's a corporate hater, not a shill. The worst one can rightly accuse him of is being a fanboy.
    The problem I have with AJ is that he's a bandwagon jumper. I have never seen him have an outlier opinion in any game - he just looks at which way things are going and goes with the flow. It's his lack of original thought that makes me not a fan.

    I happen to agree with him in this case but If I'm going to watch an anti studio shenanigans critic with a clown act I'd rather watch Jim Sterling any day of the week. He at least does have original thoughts about the stuff he slams.
    Sovrath
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 4,826
    Iselin said:
    Aeander said:
    I haven't seen any examples of AJ being a shill. His sponsored videos are disclosed, his opinions are fairly consistent, and I haven't seen much from him that is out of line with what I already thought.

    If anything, he's a corporate hater, not a shill. The worst one can rightly accuse him of is being a fanboy.
    The problem I have with AJ is that he's a bandwagon jumper. I have never seen him have an outlier opinion in any game - he just looks at which way things are going and goes with the flow. It's his lack of original thought that makes me not a fan.

    I happen to agree with him in this case but If I'm going to watch an anti studio shenanigans critic with a clown act I'd rather watch Jim Sterling any day of the week. He at least does have original thoughts about the stuff he slams.
    I enjoy Jim as an entertainer and appreciate his thoughts on the industry. As a game critic, I find his tastes eye-rolling. Placing a walking simulator on your best games of the year may be original, but it's also silly.
  • FeleveFeleve Member UncommonPosts: 14
    NUTS
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,040
    edited December 2018
    Aeander said:
    Iselin said:
    Aeander said:
    I haven't seen any examples of AJ being a shill. His sponsored videos are disclosed, his opinions are fairly consistent, and I haven't seen much from him that is out of line with what I already thought.

    If anything, he's a corporate hater, not a shill. The worst one can rightly accuse him of is being a fanboy.
    The problem I have with AJ is that he's a bandwagon jumper. I have never seen him have an outlier opinion in any game - he just looks at which way things are going and goes with the flow. It's his lack of original thought that makes me not a fan.

    I happen to agree with him in this case but If I'm going to watch an anti studio shenanigans critic with a clown act I'd rather watch Jim Sterling any day of the week. He at least does have original thoughts about the stuff he slams.
    I enjoy Jim as an entertainer and appreciate his thoughts on the industry. As a game critic, I find his tastes eye-rolling. Placing a walking simulator on your best games of the year may be original, but it's also silly.
    Silly is a good description of him lol.

    But he has quite often been first off the mark with scathing criticism of industry practices when deserved. I respect him for that despite his silly schtick.
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 182
    7 feels about right. I'm enjoying the game solo as well. It plays much differently than FO4, and until I compared strategies with a friend, I would have given it a 4 or 5. Someone above mentioned being swarmed by a hoard of Scorched and ragequitting. I've been there and did the same until I learned that you gotta have a melee weapon ready to go. If you are expecting to be able to outgun everything with VATs, you are going to die. If you are expecting to be able to loot the entire world a la FO4, you will be quickly overencumbered with nowhere to store stuff. You gotta pick and choose what is most immediately important to your character build. I think a lot of hate is because this game isn't as easy as FO4 nor does it play like FO4...despite looking like FO4. There are certainly bugs, and the whole CAMP despawn thing really sucks when it occurs, but the game is new. Hopefully it gets the attention it needs to rise to 8-9.
    boris20Existentialist

    That's just, like, my opinion, man.

  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,035
    edited December 2018
    Anyone who clearly states their reasons why they don't like a particular game, is not a bandwagon jumper.

    'Fanboy' and 'hater' are too easily thrown around.

    As for Fallout 76. If you have played FO4, then I can't see how you would think FO76 is ok.
    - There is no improvement (graphics, less bugs) and just taken away (story, characters, gutted crafting). And to me the annoying part is that Todd Howard was exaggerating as if FO76 was all improvement.
    - As a typical survival game, it lacks incentive. There is no reason to PVP, or even co op in PVE. The survival aspect is almost non existent.

    The game is basically a go and fetch scrap bonanza with multiplayer. It makes no sense at all that the game is (originally) priced as high as FO4 GOTY. 

    The pattern I see when people like FO76. Many have not played FO4 and are mostly talking about the fun with other players. Not the game itself.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,298
    Anyone who clearly states their reasons why they don't like a particular game, is not a bandwagon jumper.

    'Fanboy' and 'hater' are too easily thrown around.

    As for Fallout 76. If you have played FO4, then I can't see how you would think FO76 is ok.

    Yes, those words are thrown about a lot, even if they aren't appropriate.

    And while a person to clearly states their reasons for not liking a game is not a "bandwagon jumper" neither is a person who states why they like a game a shill or sellout.

    It's a person's experience and what they want in a game that will determine whether they will like Fallout 76.

    Just because someone likes Fallout 4 doesn't mean they should like Fallout 76 or hate it.

    I didn't really like the Conan MMORPG but I think Conan Exiles is wayyyyy! better.

    Maybe someone played Fallout 4, thought "it's ok" but really likes certain things about Fallout 76?

    The problem here, as always, is that some people just can't fathom why anyone would not be aligned with their own thoughts on a game.

    Yes, there are things that are going to be pretty universal like bugs, or issues rendering but that is what it is. If for some people that's not a deal breaker then it isn't.

    Some people say "there's no way someone would like this because x, y, and z. That's just making a statement based on their own personal preferences.


    ConstantineMerus



  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 1,884
    By the way, did you know Fallout 3 contained an easter egg for Fallout76? It's amazing they were planning it so far back.


    MadFrenchieGobstopper3DturinmacleodPhaserlightConstantineMerusNildenCryomatrix


    MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 4,826
    OG_Zorvan said:
    By the way, did you know Fallout 3 contained an easter egg for Fallout76? It's amazing they were planning it so far back.


    Maybe that's where all the canvas bags are stored.
    MadFrenchieOG_ZorvanGobstopper3DPhaserlightNilden
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,040
    Sovrath said:
    Anyone who clearly states their reasons why they don't like a particular game, is not a bandwagon jumper.

    'Fanboy' and 'hater' are too easily thrown around.

    As for Fallout 76. If you have played FO4, then I can't see how you would think FO76 is ok.

    Yes, those words are thrown about a lot, even if they aren't appropriate.

    And while a person to clearly states their reasons for not liking a game is not a "bandwagon jumper" neither is a person who states why they like a game a shill or sellout.

    It's a person's experience and what they want in a game that will determine whether they will like Fallout 76.

    Just because someone likes Fallout 4 doesn't mean they should like Fallout 76 or hate it.

    I didn't really like the Conan MMORPG but I think Conan Exiles is wayyyyy! better.

    Maybe someone played Fallout 4, thought "it's ok" but really likes certain things about Fallout 76?

    The problem here, as always, is that some people just can't fathom why anyone would not be aligned with their own thoughts on a game.

    Yes, there are things that are going to be pretty universal like bugs, or issues rendering but that is what it is. If for some people that's not a deal breaker then it isn't.

    Some people say "there's no way someone would like this because x, y, and z. That's just making a statement based on their own personal preferences.


    True enough but shills do exist and so do bandwagon jumpers. Some of them even state reasons but they can be borrowed reasons.
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,298
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Anyone who clearly states their reasons why they don't like a particular game, is not a bandwagon jumper.

    'Fanboy' and 'hater' are too easily thrown around.

    As for Fallout 76. If you have played FO4, then I can't see how you would think FO76 is ok.

    Yes, those words are thrown about a lot, even if they aren't appropriate.

    And while a person to clearly states their reasons for not liking a game is not a "bandwagon jumper" neither is a person who states why they like a game a shill or sellout.



    True enough but shills do exist and so do bandwagon jumpers. Some of them even state reasons but they can be borrowed reasons.
    Oh, believe me I know.

    That's why people need to think for themselves, take what reviewers say and compare it to their own tastes/thoughts.
    laserit



  • Warhawke80Warhawke80 Member UncommonPosts: 220


    AngryJoe is not so kind:






    Angry Joe is a Flamboyant Thespian douchebag, that shills for the highest bidder.

    The score was fair. Video games like everything else these days are partisan, and if you don't agree with the group think, your are evil and must be destroyed.

    Personally my opinions are my own, and let me give a big crap covered middle finger to anyone that has an issue with that.
    "Thespian"?

    ...is that meant to be a insult?  If so, it's a weird one.
    No "Douchebag" was the only insult, "Flamboyant Thespian" is an accurate descriptor, but I'm sure the outrage culture will find a way to equate fascistic, racist, or homophobic intent....it's just how the game is played....and it is a game, without one iota of sincerity. 
  • justintbhsjustintbhs Member UncommonPosts: 37
    This review screams $$$$
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 10,237
    Anyone who clearly states their reasons why they don't like a particular game, is not a bandwagon jumper.

    'Fanboy' and 'hater' are too easily thrown around.

    As for Fallout 76. If you have played FO4, then I can't see how you would think FO76 is ok.
    - There is no improvement (graphics, less bugs) and just taken away (story, characters, gutted crafting). And to me the annoying part is that Todd Howard was exaggerating as if FO76 was all improvement.
    - As a typical survival game, it lacks incentive. There is no reason to PVP, or even co op in PVE. The survival aspect is almost non existent.

    The game is basically a go and fetch scrap bonanza with multiplayer. It makes no sense at all that the game is (originally) priced as high as FO4 GOTY. 

    The pattern I see when people like FO76. Many have not played FO4 and are mostly talking about the fun with other players. Not the game itself.

    I've played fallout 4, and I like fallout 76. It's not without its problems, but there's still a lot of fun to be had. Enemies are much more varied and a lot tougher in 76. There are a lot of different weapons and mods for weapons.  I completed fallout 4 in maybe 30 hours or so.  I still have so much to do and haven't completed the main quest yet in 76 with nearly triple that time played. 

    Nuclear strikes and blast zones add difficulty, I spent 3 hours farming enemies for legendary items yesterday in a blast zone with 8 other people with me. Had some very interesting interactions I've never had in Fallout 4.  


    Fallout 4 was great for story. Largely the gameplay was similar though between the two games.  The bugs I deal with on the daily is unforgivable in FO76... there are things I'd like to see changed as well within the way the game works... but the core game I feel is still pretty good. After more play time I've decreased my personal score from a 6 to a 5.5 because of some of the thoughtlessness on blast zones mixed with the instability of the game, it seems like they should have had some foresight as to some complications that left me with a distaste yesterday that took me several hours to remedy.

    But that being said, still enjoying it.
    Torval



  • RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 553
    edited December 2018
    Anyone who clearly states their reasons why they don't like a particular game, is not a bandwagon jumper.

    'Fanboy' and 'hater' are too easily thrown around.

    As for Fallout 76. If you have played FO4, then I can't see how you would think FO76 is ok.
    - There is no improvement (graphics, less bugs) and just taken away (story, characters, gutted crafting). And to me the annoying part is that Todd Howard was exaggerating as if FO76 was all improvement.
    - As a typical survival game, it lacks incentive. There is no reason to PVP, or even co op in PVE. The survival aspect is almost non existent.

    The game is basically a go and fetch scrap bonanza with multiplayer. It makes no sense at all that the game is (originally) priced as high as FO4 GOTY. 

    The pattern I see when people like FO76. Many have not played FO4 and are mostly talking about the fun with other players. Not the game itself.
    Quite frankly, the fact you call people who are ok with the game (NOT GREAT), as people who haven't played FO4 or any previous game of the series is just very telling of internet mentality.

    I have played over 700 hours of Fallout 4 and close to that for NV and FO3. FO76 is still ok in my book. It's not what I wanted from the next Fallout game, but I'll take it over NOT PLAYING a new FO game for years. I would call myself a much more established FO universe fan than you as you obviously have not played the game (easy to see from your two complaints that you read from the web).

    - Bugs are there - it's a Beth game and FO. You live with it or don't.
    - There's plenty of incentive to group up, especially with your buddies. Such as sharing perk cards, one of you being the melee dude, other heavy gunning or sniping from the back. The fact you don't know this tells all I need.

    You can think you're like, what, the pinnacle of FO player ever existed and look down on those who still do play this game for all it's faults if you want. All I'll answer is don't believe everything you read on the internet.

    Game is frustrating at times and very enjoyable at others. It's still very much a FO game - whether you like it or not. I still easily spend 4-5 hours playing it every evening now.

    For the record, I'm lvl 62 now.
    Warhawke80
  • AnskierAnskier Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Personally I disliked the lack of NPC's.
    Not so much because they were missing in and of themselves but because it spoils every story in the game. You know before you even get started that every story in the game ends with "and they died".
    There is no other ending in the game and this gives all the quests and stories a sort of nihilistic pointless feeling. Some may like the atmosphere from this but I do not.
    For me that is a much bigger problem then the bugs.
    Torval
  • SplattrSplattr Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Anskier said:
    Personally I disliked the lack of NPC's.
    Not so much because they were missing in and of themselves but because it spoils every story in the game. You know before you even get started that every story in the game ends with "and they died".
    There is no other ending in the game and this gives all the quests and stories a sort of nihilistic pointless feeling. Some may like the atmosphere from this but I do not.
    For me that is a much bigger problem then the bugs.
    I do have to agree about the "and they died" part, but I am still enjoying the journey. I would like to think that this is just a jumping off point though. One of the selling points of FO76 was the whole "and you get to rebuild it" narrative. Many people have already complained you don't get to do that in the game, but why would anyone think a multiplayer online game would get you to that point so quickly. I think of the current state of the story to be the introduction, with more to come later through updates and/or DLC. 

    As far as the lack of actual NPCs in the game, isn't that what MMO players have been yearning for? I know I have seen a million threads where people bitch about the big yellow question marks over the quest giver's head and begging to be left alone in their sandbox to do whatever they want. Now Bethesda has given us that and all anyone can do is scream about not having anything to do. 
    TorvalWarhawke80maskedweasel
  • MazenealMazeneal Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Thank you, this was cleverly and well written.
    maskedweaselWarhawke80
  • RegnorRegnor Member UncommonPosts: 108
    You gave this game a 7? A 7 would imply that it's mostly enjoyable with room to grow. The fact of the matter is that this game is severely hindered by bugs that make it unplayable at the worst times and frustrating at the best times.

    The game deserves a 3 at best.

    I would agree that the *potential* of the game is exhilirating and the company should continue to strive toward all the possibilities. But that is not a basis for scoring the current game that your readers are going to experience when they put down their money based on your recommendation.

    Shame on you.
    Aeander

    Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    edited December 2018
    Rawiz said:
    Anyone who clearly states their reasons why they don't like a particular game, is not a bandwagon jumper.

    'Fanboy' and 'hater' are too easily thrown around.

    As for Fallout 76. If you have played FO4, then I can't see how you would think FO76 is ok.
    - There is no improvement (graphics, less bugs) and just taken away (story, characters, gutted crafting). And to me the annoying part is that Todd Howard was exaggerating as if FO76 was all improvement.
    - As a typical survival game, it lacks incentive. There is no reason to PVP, or even co op in PVE. The survival aspect is almost non existent.

    The game is basically a go and fetch scrap bonanza with multiplayer. It makes no sense at all that the game is (originally) priced as high as FO4 GOTY. 

    The pattern I see when people like FO76. Many have not played FO4 and are mostly talking about the fun with other players. Not the game itself.
    Quite frankly, the fact you call people who are ok with the game (NOT GREAT), as people who haven't played FO4 or any previous game of the series is just very telling of internet mentality.

    I have played over 700 hours of Fallout 4 and close to that for NV and FO3. FO76 is still ok in my book. It's not what I wanted from the next Fallout game, but I'll take it over NOT PLAYING a new FO game for years. I would call myself a much more established FO universe fan than you as you obviously have not played the game (easy to see from your two complaints that you read from the web).

    - Bugs are there - it's a Beth game and FO. You live with it or don't.
    - There's plenty of incentive to group up, especially with your buddies. Such as sharing perk cards, one of you being the melee dude, other heavy gunning or sniping from the back. The fact you don't know this tells all I need.

    You can think you're like, what, the pinnacle of FO player ever existed and look down on those who still do play this game for all it's faults if you want. All I'll answer is don't believe everything you read on the internet.

    Game is frustrating at times and very enjoyable at others. It's still very much a FO game - whether you like it or not. I still easily spend 4-5 hours playing it every evening now.

    For the record, I'm lvl 62 now.
    The bugs are taken worse here because modders can't bail out Bethesda in such a game.

    The entire "well, it's Bethesda, so it's okay!" Is what the GameSpace article was getting at about FO76: no, it isn't okay.  We're paying full price for a product from a large corporation.  Having more bugs than a bee's nest should've never been an accepted quality for consumers.  But software magic: you can't hold companies accountable to normal quality standards, this is software development!

    Yes, we can.  And really, we should.  These devs and pubs are no longer passionate, small groups of gamers who wanna just make something cool to share.  They're in the business of maximizing profits while minimizing costs.  Letting them minimize costs via shoddy code work is a terrible idea, quite frankly.
    Mendel

    image
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 1,995
    I believe people are becoming more critical of things written here due to the dropping quality. For instance, calling Torchlight Frontiers an MMO despite it not offering even a remote semblance of any MMO gameplay or numbers. I would not hesitate to believe this very site even called Fallout 76 an MMO at one point too.

    So when a site has proven time and time again that it doesn't understand the content that it is supposed to be dedicated too, people want to tear it apart. It gets tiring when you see false articles, only to go to other sites and discover "Oh... its 4 players... not an MMO'.

    With that being said... this site really needs to work on its credibility. There is no room for argument about what the initialism of MMO stands for. It is 3 defined words that offer no room for confusion except to those who lack english skills (perhaps due to it being their second language). So maybe master what the site is supposed to be about before branching out onto other topics.

    Fallout 76 is a mess and deserves a lot less than the reviewer gave it. Perhaps not a 3 as some have called for. But a 5 would be much more in line.
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 154
    edited December 2018
    madazz said:
    I believe people are becoming more critical of things written here due to the dropping quality. For instance, calling Torchlight Frontiers an MMO despite it not offering even a remote semblance of any MMO gameplay or numbers. I would not hesitate to believe this very site even called Fallout 76 an MMO at one point too.

    So when a site has proven time and time again that it doesn't understand the content that it is supposed to be dedicated too, people want to tear it apart. It gets tiring when you see false articles, only to go to other sites and discover "Oh... its 4 players... not an MMO'.

    With that being said... this site really needs to work on its credibility. There is no room for argument about what the initialism of MMO stands for. It is 3 defined words that offer no room for confusion except to those who lack english skills (perhaps due to it being their second language). So maybe master what the site is supposed to be about before branching out onto other topics.

    Fallout 76 is a mess and deserves a lot less than the reviewer gave it. Perhaps not a 3 as some have called for. But a 5 would be much more in line.
    I agree about the score bit in their defense they are kind of stuck with an established name that reflects a dead genre... Most games are now online (the novelty is gone) and all the genres are merging. RPGs are becoming action games, cats are breeding with dogs- Its madness. madness I tell you.

    They should cover online games because if they stuck to MMORPGs all they would be writing about are F2p Japanese, Korean grinder games-  Those days of the genre peaking are long gone and as the mainstream embrace gaming more and more the industry moves and terms evolve- I hate it too, Alpha doesnt mean alpha anymore , an "MMO" is pretty much anything with co-op and 16 players on a server..and canvas means nylon.

    I mean- They have to cover something , right?
Sign In or Register to comment.