Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My hopes for a Super Hero MMORPG

I would like to see another go at it. Just not another COH type one. DC and Champions online follow the COH formula but to me aren't quite as good.

Environment: Large open world with two cities, sewers, suburb, rural.  

Players would be street level heroes and villains.  A few heroes/Villians who are OP to be used to fight in groups. No Batman level heroes mixed in with Superman. 

Content I would like to see.

No constant chaos with villian, heroes or problems just sitting around. Just have open world events from time to time that players can clean up. 

Time based missions which players use phasing tech to have outdoor or indoor/outdoor missions.  Of course indoor missions be instanced. Randomly generated group missions that require tactical cooperation. Mission outcomes effect your rep. PVP esport missions that pit heroes and villains against each other in scenarios.

That's all I can think of.  Not sure why I have had the itch for a hero MMORPG and the two on the market just don't do.

AlBQuirkyApollosWillScot

Comments

• ApollosWillApollosWill Member UncommonPosts: 82
    I google Square Enix the avengers project at least once a week. Just hoping for what you ask. I know the chance is so slim, but won't stop dreaming until they are crushed ;).
    Vermillion_Raventhal
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,979
    I google Square Enix the avengers project at least once a week. Just hoping for what you ask. I know the chance is so slim, but won't stop dreaming until they are crushed ;).
    My Spidey sense is tingling...I am getting a mental image of some sort of Battle Royal game on smartphones. :)
    ApollosWill
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    I would like to see another go at it. Just not another COH type one. DC and Champions online follow the COH formula but to me aren't quite as good.

Players would be street level heroes and villains.  A few heroes/Villians who are OP to be used to fight in groups. No Batman level heroes mixed in with Superman. 

No constant chaos with villian, heroes or problems just sitting around. Just have open world events from time to time that players can clean up. 

Time based missions which players use phasing tech to have outdoor or indoor/outdoor missions.  Of course indoor missions be instanced. Randomly generated group missions that require tactical cooperation. Mission outcomes effect your rep. PVP esport missions that pit heroes and villains against each other in scenarios.

That's all I can think of.  Not sure why I have had the itch for a hero MMORPG and the two on the market just don't do.

I like the atmosphere, voice overs and combat of DCUO, but everything else was a flop. Game really needed open world pvp with consequences, risk vs rewards ect.
    ApollosWill

MurderHerd

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198

I like the atmosphere, voice overs and combat of DCUO, but everything else was a flop. Game really needed open world pvp with consequences, risk vs rewards ect.
    Yeah it just feels like City of Heroes half brother. 
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I'm surprised with the success of all the Marvel movies over the years we don't have more super hero games in general. 
    AlBQuirky
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    thunderC said:
    I'm surprised with the success of all the Marvel movies over the years we don't have more super hero games in general. 
    I've often wondered about that, too. Even in City of Heroes' heyday, there were not a lot of super hero games out there.

We've had a lot of Batman games, and now I see a slew of Spider-Man games upcoming, but there really never has been much pf a market for these settings.

I remember awhile back reading (somewhere...) how quite a few players said that super hero games just weren't a setting they liked.
    JeffSpicoli

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DwaaawffulDwaaawfful Member UncommonPosts: 65
    The problem most superhero games share is the lame gameworld graphics.

There's no point having infinitiely customisable characters with decent rendering and animations ... and then forcing them to do battle in a flat-looking Nowherescape.

This is especially true for city settings.

Wh wants to immerse themselves in a planet wrought from cardboard?
    Stumpiness & Unbridled Misery Masquerading as VIRTUE

Need an AI-Free Elf Names Generator to bring your next elven character to life? Why ... course you do, you darn fool!
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Superhero games off all types share one basic problem -- the characters are individual creations (for the most part).  This means that a game company has to license multiple characters from possibly different sources in order to make an MMORPG.  Many of the characters that people want to play are still in production, and the IP owners want to keep tight control over how their characters are presented to protect next month's sales.

A game with only 'retired' heroes, such as Phantom Stranger or Congo Bill just wouldn't attract as many players as a game featuring Batman or Spiderman.  The idea behind a superhero game is to take the role of a big name hero, like the Hulk, not a radioactive freak they make up.  Until that fundamental mindset changes, from both developers and players, there really won't be many comic book MMORPGs.

AlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    For the record, I'd love to see a serious superhero MMORPG again.

Moxom914JeffSpicoliApollosWillAlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    yea me too
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    The avengers project won't be an MMO, but expect it to be closer to a shared world game such a Destiny and FO76.  
    ApollosWill

thunderC said:
    Marvel Alliance games were fun.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited November 2018
    I hope for a super villains only game where i can do a lots of thing with the dear heroes .

It's because i live long enough to see myself turned into villain .

Gameplay is simple , you assault cities , clean the civilians , then hero appear , fight them , kill or catch them , then do a lots things relate to them to release the stress

For example , use aqua type hero to fish jaw or torture flash type with hamster wheel or feed them to monster at home hahahahahaha !!! while chilling in villain pud .
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Mendel said:
    Superhero games off all types share one basic problem -- the characters are individual creations (for the most part). 
    [...]
    The idea behind a superhero game is to take the role of a big name hero, like the Hulk, not a radioactive freak they make up.
    That might be the idea behind a generic supes game, but not a supes rpg (single or MMO alike). At least not for me, and I believe I'm not alone with that view otherwise Champions wouldn't be near 40 years old... (the rpg, not CO of course. Its first release was in '81)

The idea behind a supes rpg (or any other creative process, drawing an avatar, making your own comic book, etc.) is exactly what you say a "basic problem": to create your own hero and play with him in the selected supes world. Personally I don't want to play Hulk (your example), I want to play my own hero and meet the Hulk, go with him or against him.
    That's the very core concept of rpg, to make your own character. Why would it be different in a supes rpg?
    ApollosWillAlBQuirkyVermillion_Raventhal
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    ship of heroes is your only bet atm i'd say
    maskedweasel

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Thane said:
    Nah, City of Titans is also doing a great job. 

But to think that either of them will be anything more than what you'd expect from a run of the mill indie game is just wellwishing. Both games are being created by small teams on the side. 

The Avengers Project will be the newest most comprehensive game we see in the super hero space outside of mobile in the foreseeable future. 

If you want a game close to what Marvel Heroes was, DC Unchained is supposed to release globally on mobile in the next few months.  Great mobile game.

Thane said:
    Nah, City of Titans is also doing a great job. 

But to think that either of them will be anything more than what you'd expect from a run of the mill indie game is just wellwishing. Both games are being created by small teams on the side. 

The Avengers Project will be the newest most comprehensive game we see in the super hero space outside of mobile in the foreseeable future. 

If you want a game close to what Marvel Heroes was, DC Unchained is supposed to release globally on mobile in the next few months.  Great mobile game.
    Many of those games are trying to reclaim City of Heroes.  All super hero MMO have been i this manner.