Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Release #11 Balance Preview

RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
A quick video from this morning to tide folks over through the Thanksgiving Holiday as we work our way down towards Release 11, December 8th - 14th. 

Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
MikehaRexKushmanAmathetweedledumb99

Comments

• RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    There are no guards yet so you either make it to a zone line (or the tavern), or potentially die. And yes, the AI is fairly primitive at the moment and mobs can get stuck in town if someone dies in the center; they'll pick fights with folks in the area until they are killed. Which can create some spawn nightmares =)

All part of the pre-alpha fun !
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

I played again today and man, those wild boars are incredibly tough. I can deal with deer and stags, but a wild boar wipes the floor with me every single time (am currently at around lvl 8 on fire, focus, survival and anatomy)

As it should be, this is whats missing from todays MMO's.
    delete5230
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Renfail said:
    There are no guards yet so you either make it to a zone line (or the tavern), or potentially die. And yes, the AI is fairly primitive at the moment and mobs can get stuck in town if someone dies in the center; they'll pick fights with folks in the area until they are killed. Which can create some spawn nightmares =)

I played again today and man, those wild boars are incredibly tough. I can deal with deer and stags, but a wild boar wipes the floor with me every single time (am currently at around lvl 8 on fire, focus, survival and anatomy). 

I managed to figure out a few things on my own, so I can more or less survive in the world if I stay in a 100 meter radius around town :) . One thing I am still puzzled with is where I get a new relic or whatever that reagent you need for casting spells is called, once you deplete the one you are given at start. :) 

Anyway, I will be looking forward to the next release.
    They did tell you to not solo too far from town, better try to group up next time.  (Find yourself a pocket healer)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I want in.  

Target after the holidays !
    @coretex666 ;
    I'll admit, I haven't done my homework yet.... THIS WILL COME after the Holidays.  

I'm extremely interested in the pre-alpha.  What are the basic qualifications of playing/testing the game ?

The condensed version will be fine :)

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    @coretex666 ;
    I'll admit, I haven't done my homework yet.... THIS WILL COME after the Holidays.  

I'm extremely interested in the pre-alpha.  What are the basic qualifications of playing/testing the game ?

$40
    delete5230[Deleted User]Renfail
    --------------------------------------------
    @coretex666 ;

40 bucks is the minimum pre-order, and you need an understanding that the servers are only up once every few months and that we have a strict no-refund policy. 

The full details are over at our pre-order page: https://sagaoflucimia.com/pre-orders

Release 11 ended at midnight last night and the servers won't be up again until around March for Release 12, when we'll be testing early iterations of questing + harvesting + crafting. 
    delete5230
    Renfail said:
    @coretex666 ;

40 bucks is the minimum pre-order, and you need an understanding that the servers are only up once every few months and that we have a strict no-refund policy. 

The full details are over at our pre-order page: https://sagaoflucimia.com/pre-orders

Release 11 ended at midnight last night and the servers won't be up again until around March for Release 12, when we'll be testing early iterations of questing + harvesting + crafting. 
    Ok the pre-order page is surprisingly condensed enough, thanks.  It sounds like it will be awhile before I/we can jump in but that's ok, I'll help support the game anyway :) 

Like Fox Molder from the X Files 
    I want to believe  
    RenfailManWithNoTan
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    The game really looks to be coming along nicely, well done to the small team that is working on it.

I had thought this game was going to be first person only.. am i getting this confused or has it changed? I remember the earlier videos all being first person but this 3rd person view looks even better.
    Renfail

The game really looks to be coming along nicely, well done to the small team that is working on it.

I had thought this game was going to be first person only.. am i getting this confused or has it changed? I remember the earlier videos all being first person but this 3rd person view looks even better.
    In the early days, we wanted to do first person primary, with third person via abilities. So we focused on systems only for the first couple of years and ignored worrying about the camera POVs until earlier this year.

At the end of the day there ended up being way too many edge cases surrounding the way we wanted our first person system to work, not to mention it was adding unnecessary development time to something that even AAA companies have a hard time getting right, so at the end of the day we decided to just focus on third person primary with first person as an option for those who want it. 

We've still got a lot of work to do with our animations and the like, but yes; third person looks and feels pretty good so far :) 
    RexKushman
    Kyleran said:
    Renfail said:

I played again today and man, those wild boars are incredibly tough. I can deal with deer and stags, but a wild boar wipes the floor with me every single time (am currently at around lvl 8 on fire, focus, survival and anatomy). 

I managed to figure out a few things on my own, so I can more or less survive in the world if I stay in a 100 meter radius around town :) . One thing I am still puzzled with is where I get a new relic or whatever that reagent you need for casting spells is called, once you deplete the one you are given at start. :) 

Anyway, I will be looking forward to the next release.
    They did tell you to not solo too far from town, better try to group up next time.  (Find yourself a pocket healer)
    I know, but none of my friends own the game, so I am logging in solo and at this point in development, you dont always have someone to group up with in the game.

Those pigs sometimes attack you 10 seconds after you leave the town. I am not complaining, just saying :).

The population is similar every time we do a build; we get a huge rush the first 48 hours, and then when we have extended runs (which we do for the holidays so that stragglers can log in and test) it tapers off until there are only a handful of people on any given day. 

It's natural. We're not testing content yet, only mechanics/features, plus gear & characters are wiped between builds, so once everyone has bashed mobs over the head for a couple of days, there's not a lot left to do. 

Release 12 is our first "major" content test, as it will feature quests + crafting/harvesting in their first iterations. Even then, it's throwaway content. 

It'll be a long time until we have enough to keep players logging into the game day in and day out for weeks/months/years on end. 

In the meantime, we've got a slew of more features we have to get added :) 

And it sounds like those little piggies are scared of the market   B)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    @coretex666 ;

I'd recommend against doing so until you do your homework. Read through Renfail's many Monday morning dev blogs so you fully understand what you are buying in to now and in the future.

It does sound like it will probably provide the "struggle" you think you want, but realize this will likely be the most group centric MMORPG out there. 

In the past you've said you are great at putting together groups, good thing as in this game it might be the most valuable of skills.

Finally, not beyond reason to believe it won't fully launch until 2022 or beyond, so you could burn out early if you spend too much time testing over the years.

But if you have an extra $40 and want to show support go for it, but be advised Renfail is quite "blunt" in his responses to criticism,  so conversations between you both will likely be entertaining. 

Cheers
    delete5230

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

But if you have an extra $40 and want to show support go for it, but be advised Renfail is quite "blunt" in his responses to criticism,  so conversations between you both will likely be entertaining. 

Cheers
    If you've ever spent any time on our forums or Discord, you would note that I am quite open to feedback from our pre-order community, and we have implemented many changes (that fit within our vision for the game) based on feedback from our testing community. We quite regularly feature Q&A with our Dev Tavern folks in particular (and have a separate section set up for them on our Discord + they have their own newsletter). 

There is a *huge* difference between constructive criticism from people who are interested enough in our product to register at our forums + hang out in our discord + actually play our game + have a DESIRE to be part of our community...

... and general MMORPG "critics" on websites such as these, who are more often than not nothing more than window shoppers who will never buy your product in the first place, and thrive on trollish behavior.  

We are always happy to listen to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism; i.e. feedback from our testing community of players who are actually interested in what we are building. 

We have zero desire to listen to, nor pander to, the vocal minority of players who frequent gaming websites and who are not even part of our core demographic. 

My attitude and general reaction towards Internet trolls will remain the same as it has always been: blunt and unapologetic. I'm more than happy to answer questions (and reply to just about every single poster, regardless if it is a negative or positive question/attitude), but I'm not going to please everyone, nor am I interested in doing so. I have a very dismissive attitude towards trolls, and that will never change. Just as much as my dismissive/blunt attitude has established me as a "jerk" to some, and those readers' opinions of me will never change. 

They weren't our target audience in the first place. Someone who starts ranting about our naming policies, or the fact that we won't have matchmaking systems, or that we won't have a minimap, or that we won't have PvP, or that we will enforce a Play Nice Policy, or X, Y, and Z? They were never interested in what we are building. 

Meanwhile, for those who are *actually* interested in what we are building and come register at our forums + join our discord + join our early access community? I am, at the very least, always open to discussion, even if we don't always cater to their every whim.  

There's our vision, and then there's the million little things that people want our vision to conform to. If we see someone talk about something that fits within our framework of what we consider to be our "dream" MMORPG, then we are more than happy to implement that feature. But just because someone has an idea of how something should work does not = the best thing for our game or even something we would consider in the first place. 

Feedback is great, as long as folks understand that they are not the ones in the kitchen baking this particular cake. We have a set list of ingredients we are cooking with, and while we can add a little spice here and there, a little flavor and fluff and a little extra icing and decorations, the core recipe is still ours, and ours alone. 
    ManWithNoTan
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I love the look of this game.
    Renfail

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests