Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gaming is an Addiction

1235»

Comments

• mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    mmrv said:
    More evidence of the perversion of medicine and science. where we now turn everything into what the social engineers (marxists) want. Gaming is currently considered the hotbed for "toxic masculinity" and "white privilege" and "something to do with earning and deserving to thrive based on your efforts in a game" so we have to destroy it, meanwhile having a penis and pretending your a girl isnt a mental disorder. This is what the left does and they have gotten quite good at it. They redefine/, twist, and manipulate everything to push their agenda, hence things like "micro aggression" created to control people who disagree with them and even use violence to do so, new definitions of racism "only white people can be racist because we decided only oppressors can be racist oh and btw we also decided all white people are oppressors regardless if you realize it or not you are doing it because bazinga "micro aggression".

Its pretty amazing to be honest how they have perverted most of western society and a vocal minority is now in control. Hell they even call non white people "minorities" when we know as a matter of fact its actually white people who are one of the actual minorities of this planet a fact that is undisputed well until they refine minority because you cant be a minority if you are the oppressor lulz.
    Your post has serious issues. Medicine likes labeling things and makes an effort to do so as a way to allow standardization of practice. You need to meet X definition and you treat it this way, you meet X and Y definition, you treat it another way. 

Being an oppressor and a numerical minority are not linked. In syria, the aliwi sect, which is a huge minority, runs that country and  oppresses everyone else.

Also, making the political landscape a dichotomous setting where it is just your extreme definition of left vs how you define normal people, is silly at best.

Any person who is extreme in their thinking, regardless of what their thinking is, is problematic. The people you are referencing are the extreme fringes of the left and not the main stream. 

Layoff the extreme political websites, they are chock full of logical fallacies. 

LOL? Take off your blinders what I descibed happens on a daily basis at most every american college and media....its not limited to "extreme websites". Also you are incredibly naive not to understand fields like medicine are dominated by heavy politics now adays. Also you dont get the point because you are too busy defending it, and thanks for reinforcing my point on oppressing and "numerical minority" but i didnt actually link the two I gave it as the next example of what we can expect to be perverted, infact it already is I mean we are told everyday we live in a "global world" yet we continually refer to blacks/asians/indians as minorities when they clearly are not
    Kyleran
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    mmrv said:

Y

LOL? Take off your blinders what I descibed happens on a daily basis at most every american college and media....its not limited to "extreme websites". Also you are incredibly naive not to understand fields like medicine are dominated by heavy politics now adays. Also you dont get the point because you are too busy defending it, and thanks for reinforcing my point on oppressing and "numerical minority" but i didnt actually link the two I gave it as the next example of what we can expect to be perverted, infact it already is I mean we are told everyday we live in a "global world" yet we continually refer to blacks/asians/indians as minorities when they clearly are not
    Yes, medicine is to some degree influenced by society, areas such as psychiatry and gun safety are more likely to be swayed by that given their intersection in society. The greater reason that medicine likes to group and create criteria for everything is due to what i said. In psychiatry, some of these diagnoses can get you benefits and what not in different states, hence, definitions are important. 

I think when they say we live in a "global world" they kind of mean how forces in one area of the world can affect many other areas in the world. Like 1000 years, a plague in Europe, didn't do shit to anyone in the western hemisphere. Now, if there was a plague in Europe (and let's say it didn't spread anywhere else) it would have a global affect. 

Also, when someone says minority, it is always in context. For example, i'm male, i'm clearly not a minority in general, but in the pediatric field, where 75% of pediatricians are female, i am clearly a minority. 

In America, blacks are a minority by definition of population. Everyone but WASPS basically. So the context is within America. I think you confused the term Global world and how minority since it has to have a reference point is based on context. 

Colleges are usually left leaning but there are a lot of other viewpoints that are allowed. Finally, when someone just spews out stuff like "the left all they do is just do X, Y, Z, they just pervert society blah blah blah" is a hallmark of extremist thought . . . which I think is worse to America than whatever perversions you feel are going on. 

Also, to put food for thought in the transgender issue. 

Perhaps the genes for secondary sexual characteristics and self-identification are not 100% linked. For example, when XY males are gestating usually (99%) of the brain development occurs with a male self identification. For that 1% something is missing and they get a female brain. 

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • aummoidaummoid Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Phry said:
    I think my earlier statement that you do not understand the concepts you are basing your arguments on is severely lacking. 
    I agree with you completely. 
    aummoid said:

As for "blame", the concept "you helped make the mess, you can help clean it up" is not a complicated one. I'm sure you can see how it applies.

You also mentioned how I helped to make a mess. Would you please define what "mess" and how I have helped it, thank you. 

Huh. I stand corrected.
    Apparently you can't see how it applies. 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Article writers don't always get to choose their own headlines.  But that is such a ridiculous, clickbait headline on the article.  Can't someone fix it?  While one can become addicted to gaming, just as one can become addicted to many other things, not all gaming is an addiction.
    FlyByKnightConstantineMerus
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Ungood said:
    aummoid said:
    Phry said:
    aummoid said:
    Personally, I'm looking forward to gaming addiction getting some recognition and research, and hopefully this will help put some regulatory pressure on gaming companies and their increasingly predatory business models. Long overdue, frankly.
    How you equate those two concepts as being somehow related only highlights how little you understand of either.  :/
    I'm sure many people in or around the tobacco industry have similar difficulty understanding the relationship between nicotine addiction and the industry's business practices. But the relationship nevertheless obviously exists, in spite of your skepticism.

Nicotine is the fifth most addictive known substance. You can compare video games to other types of games or even hobbies, not substance abuse. There are vast differences between various forms of addiction. You can't just put them all in one group and blame corporations. 
    Source, please?  I'm not defending nicotine, but that's pretty specific.
    Delphi Behavioral Health Group. I'm a smoker for 22 years now, it sounds about right. 
    So... you are applying personal experience as a universal maxim to one of the toughest problems of past centuries.  Very Kantian.
    No.. it's an absolute fact that Nicotine is one of the most addictive substance out there, this has been scientifically proven, nothing personal about it, in fact it is more addictive then things like heroin.
    You are missing the point; I'm not arguing the "fact that Nicotine is one of the most addictive substance out there".  In my first post here I clearly state "I'm not defending nicotine".

However... were someone to tell me it's the "fifth most addictive known substance" right away this begs many questions.  It's weirdly specific.  Fifth based on what parameters?  What double blind studies?  What are numbers one through four?  This is of course under the general context of whether or not "gaming" deserves a spot on any such ostensible list.

I Googled "Delphi Behavioral Health Group", and it looks like a treatment center in Ft. Lauderdale.  I'd be dubious of any such authoritative claim coming from there, although I'm sure it's well-intentioned.  I didn't see any obvious links to the supposed study.

It's kind of like the defensive driving course warning users not to get road-hypnotized.  I get what they're saying, but... take it with a grain of salt.
    Well I had initially read it on Independent UK, I Googled the source last night and it led me to Delphi Behavioral Health Group. Since I was on the phone it was a bit hard to find the study. I did a bit of digging and here's what I got - apparently this article is the main source. 

"Development of a rational scale to assess the harm of drugs of potential misuse"

Prof David Nutt (FMedSci), Leslie A King (PhD), William Saulsbury (MA), Prof Colin Blakemore (FRS)

Journal: The Lancet, Volume 369, Issue 9566, 24-30 March 2007, Pages 1047-1053

Experts leader is David John Nutt from Imperial College London. His h-index is 36 and his articles have 30960 citations. The study that I am referring to has received 580 citations.

You can purchase the PDF from ScienceDirect. I am member on ResearchGate so I could get it for free. I really can't type the whole article here mate, but here's some highlights:

"Harmful drugs are regulated according to classification systems that purport to relate to the harms and risks of each drug. However, the methodology and processes underlying classification systems are generally neither specified nor transparent, which reduces confidence in their accuracy and undermines health education messages. We developed and explored the feasibility of the use of a nine-category matrix of harm, with an expert delphic procedure, to assess the harms of a range of illicit drugs in an evidence-based fashion..."

"There are three main factors that together determine the harm associated with any drug of potential abuse: the physical harm to the individual user caused by the drug: the tendency of the drug to induce dependence; and the effect of drug use on families, communities, and society..."

They have scored the Dependence factor in 5 different categories: Intravenous, Mean, Psychological dependence, and Physical dependence. 

Psychological dependence top scored substances:
    1. Heroin 
    2. Cocaine
    3. Tobacco

Physical dependence top scored substances:
    1. Heroin
    2. Street Methadone
    3. Tobacco

Now different researchers assign different weights to each of these categories and conclude different lists. The article I had read on Independent UK is from 2016 - which has listed Nicotine as 5th addictive substance. And they have published another article in 2017 and updated their list and now Nicotine lands on the 3rd spot. 

I tried to Google more and lists Nicotine either lands on 3rd or on 5th on any I could find. 
    UngoodPhaserlight[Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    I know I'm an addict and have been since I was 8 y/o (I'm 41 y/o now) if I don't play for a day or two I get anxious and feel some stress surrounding me to the point I get angry easier than normal. That being said my wife watches TV shows while I'm playing video games and she feels the same about the TV shows can't do without them. When I didn't have video games I was reading books a lot that says it all, my brain needs stimulation and if I don't offer it the boredom kicks in and I get stressed. Life is short! if this makes me happy I'll keep doing it until I grow old. 
    edited November 2018
    Quizzical said:
    Article writers don't always get to choose their own headlines.  But that is such a ridiculous, clickbait headline on the article.  Can't someone fix it?  While one can become addicted to gaming, just as one can become addicted to many other things, not all gaming is an addiction.
    I for one like to learn why the writer chose the word "addiction" while referencing WHO, and if you read WHO page it is categorized as a 'disorder' and not an 'addiction'. 

http://www.who.int/features/qa/gaming-disorder/en/

So where is the source of the addiction claim?
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]Kyleran

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Ungood said:
    aummoid said:
    Phry said:
    aummoid said:
    Personally, I'm looking forward to gaming addiction getting some recognition and research, and hopefully this will help put some regulatory pressure on gaming companies and their increasingly predatory business models. Long overdue, frankly.
    How you equate those two concepts as being somehow related only highlights how little you understand of either.  :/
    I'm sure many people in or around the tobacco industry have similar difficulty understanding the relationship between nicotine addiction and the industry's business practices. But the relationship nevertheless obviously exists, in spite of your skepticism.

Nicotine is the fifth most addictive known substance. You can compare video games to other types of games or even hobbies, not substance abuse. There are vast differences between various forms of addiction. You can't just put them all in one group and blame corporations. 
    Source, please?  I'm not defending nicotine, but that's pretty specific.
    Delphi Behavioral Health Group. I'm a smoker for 22 years now, it sounds about right. 
    So... you are applying personal experience as a universal maxim to one of the toughest problems of past centuries.  Very Kantian.
    No.. it's an absolute fact that Nicotine is one of the most addictive substance out there, this has been scientifically proven, nothing personal about it, in fact it is more addictive then things like heroin.
    You are missing the point; I'm not arguing the "fact that Nicotine is one of the most addictive substance out there".  In my first post here I clearly state "I'm not defending nicotine".

However... were someone to tell me it's the "fifth most addictive known substance" right away this begs many questions.  It's weirdly specific.  Fifth based on what parameters?  What double blind studies?  What are numbers one through four?  This is of course under the general context of whether or not "gaming" deserves a spot on any such ostensible list.

I Googled "Delphi Behavioral Health Group", and it looks like a treatment center in Ft. Lauderdale.  I'd be dubious of any such authoritative claim coming from there, although I'm sure it's well-intentioned.  I didn't see any obvious links to the supposed study.

It's kind of like the defensive driving course warning users not to get road-hypnotized.  I get what they're saying, but... take it with a grain of salt.
    Fair response. You have a solid point that it's "oddly specific"

So, I googled "Top 5 Most Addictive Substances on Earth

As it stands, According to the Addiction Center, Nicotine is #5. As it stands however, according to them, Heroin is #1, so that would make me wrong. But then again, some studies say they are equally addictive, so.. being in the top 5 might be more a Tie then any real progressive steps, like "These are the 5 most addictive things on the planet, and they are all really.. really.. close to each other"
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Quizzical said:
    I for one like to learn why the writer chose the word "addiction" while referencing WHO, and if you read WHO page it is categorized as a 'disorder' and not an 'addiction'. 

I went to the link you provided and read it, it clearly states that the disorder is only a small percentage of video game players. Video game addiction has been a term for many years and it's not a disorder!
    DeadSpock said:
    Quizzical said:

I went to the link you provided and read it, it clearly states that the disorder is only a small percentage of video game players. Video game addiction has been a term for many years and it's not a disorder!
    I know it has been a topic of discussion for many years. But you have to read and compare the studies, see which one got more citations and published in higher ranked journals. Although that isn't perfect by itself, but it is the only way as a scientific approach. 

So if you can back your claim with a source then we can check that out and see what it would bring to the discussion. 
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    DeadSpock said:
    Quizzical said:

It's still an addiction tho.. and not something to dismiss.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Just wanted to point out that this is a disingenuous statement:

"In 1998, a Nintendo 64 game cartridge costed around $70. Today, most games cost $60. So why are games cheaper now than they were 20 years ago? If you simply look at inflation and the cost of labor, games should cost approximately $110 now."

Games only cost $70 on the Nintendo 64 because the cartridge format increased the cost of the game substantially over that of CD-ROM game. Most CD-ROM games for PC and console retailed for about $50 in 1998, which adjusted for inflation is $78.24 today.
    It always struck me strange when people said games have been the same price forever.  I'm a millennial, and I remember the jump to $60 games as a boy.  Game prices have gone up.  Whether they've gone up enough is the only thing that can really be debated.
    laserit

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

"In 1998, a Nintendo 64 game cartridge costed around $70. Today, most games cost $60. So why are games cheaper now than they were 20 years ago? If you simply look at inflation and the cost of labor, games should cost approximately $110 now."

Games only cost $70 on the Nintendo 64 because the cartridge format increased the cost of the game substantially over that of CD-ROM game. Most CD-ROM games for PC and console retailed for about $50 in 1998, which adjusted for inflation is $78.24 today.
    It always struck me strange when people said games have been the same price forever.  I'm a millennial, and I remember the jump to $60 games as a boy.  Game prices have gone up.  Whether they've gone up enough is the only thing that can really be debated.
    PC games have gone from $49cad in the late 90's to $80cad today. The Canadian dollar was worth less then, than it is now, it averaged around 69-70 cents back then as opposed to 75-76 cents right now.

That adds up to a 60% price increase since that time and that ignores taking the exchange into account. If we take the exchange into account it's more like a 70% increase.
    MadFrenchie

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    We're all addicted to those things that give us those adrenaline hits!

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    laserit said:

PC games have gone from $49cad in the late 90's to $80cad today. The Canadian dollar was worth less then, than it is now, it averaged around 69-70 cents back then as opposed to 75-76 cents right now.

That adds up to a 60% price increase since that time and that ignores taking the exchange into account. If we take the exchange into account it's more like a 70% increase.
    You know, I recall when the Canadian dollar was worth about 15% more than US.

But this was before video games were a thing on the PC....heck, was before PCs even.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Kyleran said:
    laserit said:

You know, I recall when the Canadian dollar was worth about 15% more than US.

But this was before video games were a thing on the PC....heck, was before PCs even.
    The Canadian dollar closed at $1.08 in 2007

I just ordered one of these 

In North America purchases on this type of equipment is always in USD. My purchase price for this bad boy is $1,043,000.00 usd. Every penny the Canadian dollar goes up or down makes a difference of over 10k on the purchase price.
    [Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 641
    'Can become an addiction'. Would be the proper statement.  The mere act of playing does not equate to addiction.  I am on a out 2 weeks of oxy because of back surgery.  The fact that I am on a narcotic does not automatically enroll me in the addict club. 

After I ask and get a get approved for my 1 year extension request, then I might crossover.  Wish me luck.
    Sovrath