Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trying a Third Time!?

2»

Comments

• ElalandElaland Lake Charles, LAMember UncommonPosts: 28

Beyorn said:

This will be my third time trying to get into ESO.  I know why I have such trouble with it.  I don’t like switching between to bars/weapons and I absolutely hate all the staff animations

I only plan on doing the story and landscape quest.  The world looks amazing to explore from what I have seen.

Do you have to play with two weapon sets and to do a magica character do I have to use staffs?  Can I ignore them?

Finally for solo play which is the toughest character?  I want to complete quest quick and have no fear of pulling more than two/three mods.

Any suggestions?

The landscape is indeed amazing, and there are so many stories to follow you should find more than a few that appeal to you.  As far as weapon sets go I don't know if anyone else mentioned it but you can have the same type of weapons in both weapon set slots.  I actually do that for my main tank (a Dragonknight using a shield).  There are enough other good skills you can find to use to play in a way you enjoy - not only your class and weapons skills, but also other lines from the Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, Undaunted, etc.  If it is the timing issue of swapping sets in the middle of battle that bothers you I simply mapped my mouse's middle scroll wheel button to swap weapon sets when I press it. I can go back and forth very naturally, and on your other question I do use my tank for a lot of my soloing time; not that others can't be used as well but I just prefer to be hard to kill.
    YashaX
  • BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 342
    The only reason I keep trying to get into the game is that the world and quests look amazing.  The combat doesn't bother me but the weapon swapping and the staffs ;P really bother me.
    ZenJelly
  • BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 342
    I'm just trying to find a class I want to take to max to experience the content.  This game needs a necromancer
    Truvidien88
  • PhryPhry OxfordshireMember EpicPosts: 10,312
    Beyorn said:
    I'm just trying to find a class I want to take to max to experience the content.  This game needs a necromancer
    You might want to try out Path of Exile, its F2P and the cash shop only has cosmetics, but one of the things it does have is necromancy, currently have my witch up to 5 zombies and 7 skeletons its more fun than i expected it to be ;)
    ZenJelly
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 12,010
    Beyorn said:
    The only reason I keep trying to get into the game is that the world and quests look amazing.  The combat doesn't bother me but the weapon swapping and the staffs ;P really bother me.
    Just out of curiosity... have you tried all different types of staves?

I ask because there are two totally different types with respect to how they feel when you use them:

Fire and ice staves work in a hold and release way for their heavy attacks. In this respect they are the same as all the stamina weapons that all do their heavy attacks that way.

Lightning and healing staves are totally different and their heavy attacks are channeled beams. I actually like the feeling of using those two much better.
    YashaXZenJelly
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog SMember RarePosts: 2,018
    I really don't see the reason to bother and force yourself to play a game you don't like, there is too many around to waste time on thing you don't like
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember EpicPosts: 5,513
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:
    Phry said:
    Just play a stamina character. Almost every class's skills have a morph that makes it use either stamina or magicka. I mained a stamina sorcerer with dual wield and bow.. and I did Maelstrom arena with it (one of the hardest things in the game). Don't assume you need to be magicka just because of the class.

You'll need to use two weapon sets, sadly.. because it allows you to have another 5 skill slots and another Elite skill. You'll want access to those extra skills. For normal questing and exploring though it's perfectly fine to use a set up that doesn't require swapping bars all the time.

Every class can handle normal content easily but some require more work than others. I suggest you use dual wield as one of your weapon sets though and morph Flurry into Bloodthirst. For normal content you can usually just spam Bloodthirst and win. Bloodthirst is massive damage and heals you.
    Honestly the first paragraph highlights some of the biggest issues in the game, why call a class 'sorcerer' if it has little to no actual magical skills, instead the so called classes are little more than a 'racial bonus' with the actual classes being whatever weapons you select, of which there are sadly too few. If you really want to do well though your going to have to select from a limited number of options.  :/
    Er, no.. each class has 3 skill lines unique to that class. 18 active skills that no other class has.. 36 variants..  54 variants if you include unmorphed (there are some builds where you may prefer an unmorphed but it's rare).  12 passive skills unique to each class too.

Each class has 66 options that the other classes don't have.

66. Beat that argument.
    Honestly, why are skills even locked behind the classes? In a TES game, no less! Just make the classes into starting points, that's all! Conjuration(Daedra) + Shadow Magic of all types(including that skill line of Nightblade's) is what I consider a "Sorcerer" in context of TES. But you can't have that because…? No idea why, tbh.

Fighters / Mages etc Guild rewarding skills as well as books, items etc are the proper way to do it. Not to lock them behind some "classes" in a TES game(lol).
    All TES games are not like Skyrim. As a matter of fact the biggest difference from one installment to the next is how open or locked behind classes skills are.

Having said that, I've always wished they had gone with no classes for ESO instead of a hybrid system... /shrug. Not a deal breaker but I would have liked that better too.
    Skyrim's literally the worst. It's just so far away from the likes of Morrowind, it's surreal. And let's be honest, TES were never exactly DnD about their skills. They were very open and then...ES:O happens with skills literally LOCKED behind classes! I mean...TES was always about creating your own character and roleplaying it. You could literally become a demigod with 21x100 and 9x100 and that was still somewhat in character(surely so for Sheogorath or Nerevarine). It was never about a Barbarian having its own skills, but rather about Barbarian being just a starting point that encourages some other play styles than a Thief does. And you just know that in ES:O, that "Barbarian" would have its own skills, as would a "Thief". That's DnD, not TES imo.
    ZenJelly
  • slowpoke68slowpoke68 Chicago, ILMember UncommonPosts: 525
    I just tried again to get into ESO, I wish I could.  This is about my third try as well.  I think my biggest problem with the game is that there are only five classes.  I wish they would have either added more or just had a classless system.  I did get a guy to level 45 last time I played and agree that the landscape questing and world are great.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 8,310
    I play for mostly the quests and mostly solo.  Templar was the fasting at leveling for me and everything could be done using just one bar, with the second bar dedicated to healing in order to survive when running away if you got in over your head doing the solo stuff, but that's for any class, imo.

I have the most fun with a vampire nightblade.  Tons of stealth which comes in good for solo play and two good drains that heal you at the same time and are easy to spam.  

Now it's mostly Warden, with or without pet.  Good at tanking, healing, and dps, a  great character that can do it all.  Add vamp or wwolf for additional fun, and just doing those quests to follow that storyline is worth it to me, but just Warden is great.  

ZenJellyYashaX

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Richmond, VAMember UncommonPosts: 143
    You don't have to use staves. I have one character that's a Sorcerer but wears heavy armor and double handed sword. Is it harder? maybe. but that's what I want that character to be.

You don't actually have to have two different kind of weapons either if you don't want, just get, for example, two double handed swords. When you switch, switch to the other one and have the second bar have all different skills. I do that with one character and bar 1 is for single mobs and bar 2 is for fighting multiples (more AoE focused).

Using either of these suggestions is not recommended if you want the 'best' build as a min maxxer, and certainly not for PvP.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 1,840
    I've tried now 4 times, I have hundreds and hundreds of hours in this game.  And I guess Im just stupid thinking every time I go back the combat will be like an elder scrolls game and its not.  The last straw was them removing the ability to knock back and hold an arrow.  Now bows just auto release when you click the mouse button, there pretty much just like guns that shoot arrows.  Apparently they did this because they couldn't figure out how to normalize the damage from them, so they turned bows into guns.
    Speaking of only using one bar and no weapon swapping...

I just saw this video recently of someone clearing Veteran Maelstrom Arena, the hardest solo content in the game, doing just that.

Sorry staff haters but he does use a staff :)

It's a longish video but it is recent so he's using the current, post-nerf, sorc bubble shield. There are also a lot of tips about the different vMA stages that anyone wanting to run it with any build would find useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=223&v=TltS1PUapZM

Torval
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 18,375
    edited December 2018
    You don't have to use staves. I have one character that's a Sorcerer but wears heavy armor and double handed sword. Is it harder? maybe. but that's what I want that character to be.

You don't actually have to have two different kind of weapons either if you don't want, just get, for example, two double handed swords. When you switch, switch to the other one and have the second bar have all different skills. I do that with one character and bar 1 is for single mobs and bar 2 is for fighting multiples (more AoE focused).

Using either of these suggestions is not recommended if you want the 'best' build as a min maxxer, and certainly not for PvP.
    Unless you want to heal [and not be "that guy"].

Fixed my response. :lol:
    Post edited by Torval on
    traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• SaunZSaunZ Las Vegas, NVMember UncommonPosts: 448
    I think you can heal without staff... I think.

Sz  :)
  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember EpicPosts: 5,513
    SaunZ said:

Nightblade or Templar? I actually think this could work. Granted would be somewhat janky.
    SaunZ said:

Yes you can but can you be a PvE healer without one? :)

I mean... every class can heal itself and most even have a self +1 but the only ones that could in a pinch, be a legitimate group healer without a healing staff are Templars and Wardens.

Even then that's pushing it for no reason other than to be special. Just like the special "tanks" with no taunt.

Your group would feel uneasy without the pre-cast HOT that only comes from the resto staff. I've done a lot of 4-man healing with every class and I wouldn't do it without a resto staff.

The other thing it does is that the heavy attacks with it give you back 30% extra magicka. You can go from 0 to full with just 2 heavy attacks, and you'll need that. 

Special, out of left field, builds can be fun but they're solo or PvP builds. When you do that in PvE group content you're just that person that the group will know in 30 seconds can't be trusted and isn't really there to make the group better.
    Torval
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • TokkenTokken Portland, ORMember RarePosts: 1,944
    Play Skyrim instead...... IMHO
    SlyLoK
    Warriors are like steel, when you lose your temper you lose your worth.