Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of WoW

Apache_Apache_ Member Posts: 168

Hello everybody.  I know that there is a similar topic already posted on these forums, but I didnt get the information I was looking for from those replies.  I am considering WoW, but looking for specific things in a game. If any of you could answer some of these, I would very much apreciate it.

Does WoW have.....?

1) Character Customization- It doesnt have to be extremely in depth, but enough to set me apart from the rest a little so I dont look like a clone.  Does WoW have this feature?

2) The Grind- I understand that the grind is a part of any mmorpg, but is this games grind like a second job? And is it possible to solo?

3) The World at Large- I prefer a wide open world to play in.  Where I can pick a direction and take off.  Does WoW have this type of enviroment?

4) Equipment- How varied is the equipment? Do all sets of armors, and swords ect. look exactly the same?

Those are the main selling points for me.  Any responses and replies would be much apreciated.  Thank you.

Comments

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

1 yes

2 no

3 pretty decent

4 pretty varied , do not look same

• 1) Well, the character customization isnt great but yeah it can set you apart form others. There are Face variants, hair style, hair color, and skin color and thats it I think. The only problem I have with it is it will give you a few good options but the others are just wierd, its like choosing dark pink from dark blue, which one is gonna be seen around more?

2) Grinding is so so. There are a few places that you can visit for your level, its not like you have to be in one area for your level, there are 2-3 places to go. Soloing all depends on your class and professions.

3) Yes, WoW has exactly that type of enviornment. Here is an example: Dwarves, Humans, and Elves all have their own starting point (Gnomes live with the dwarves) (Alliance races), So if say you want the Human attributes to your class or profession but just enjoy the enviornment of the Elven enviornment, with a little work you can go to the elven starting point and the same quests will be availible. The only exception are class specific quests, so if you are a human paladin and you go to elven lands, you wont be able to do your level 10 or 20 paladin quests because elves cant be paladins!

4) I dont play anymore but the last time I checked the equipment variety was only bad in the beginning, to level 10 or so. After that you can start going after different armor types with different attributes. Hell, I am the only level 40 paladin I know that has a huge shovel. But trust me, I can mow people down with it, its jut really funny to have people ask me "Is that a shovel!!! ::::37:: WTF??!?!?"

Anyways, hope you get it and enjoy your experience playing WoW!

• difancerdifancer Member Posts: 18

the overall of that game is good.

1: yes no so bad. when you get some cloth and armor. you cant look the same,

2: theres grinding times. but most of the times you do quests.

3: the world is big. and like the other person up here said, there is lots of race. but he only told you about "good" race. people tend to play alliance side a lot. and it make the ballance terrible for horde. that consist of troll,orc,undead and tor

4: theres a lot of variety in the armor and cloth. its not like in those korean mmo where each 5 level you get the same sets as everyone.

i myself got bored of this game, because they only add high level stuff. and tend to forget that between 42 and 55 theres a huge gap to fill with mission and "fun" things to do. instead of boring gathering mission. but with groups. it turn ok.

i got the game since the minutes it was released. it changed since then. but not for the best in every way ;P if you search for something new. go for it. its worth playing.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

1) Character customization in WoW is not great. you have some options but nothing extraordinary like SWG or Everquest 2. You can't change body type at all, so all guys of same race are same height/fat. The real customization come with equipment, see answer 4

2)WoW is one of the most Grind-light game i ever played. Most of this is because levelling is generally faster and secondly the quests do a great job of giving you a sense of purpose. Also the harvesting of resources is done all in the envinroment and is all seamless integrated in your adventuring experience, as a result, you will jump in joy when finding that rare True silver deposit and this also will break the kill kill kill. Quests are also varied enough.

3)The World of Warcraft is wide and colorful, but i am not sure about your comment. Let me explain. The game is level based and nothing stops you from threading in zones that are not your level. You will die messily and repeatedly if you go away from the main roads though. On the good side, at any given level, you are not limited to one zone. you ususally have some options, (2-3 at low levels, much more in your mid and high levels), in addition in each zone there are points of interest of various nature. Caves, Encampments, Magical circles, villages, small cities, you name it.

4)Equipment and loot is one of the strong point of WoW. almost all items differ from each other, so you can bet you will have some unique stuff around. you can also add Glows and particle effects to the weapons and there are armor sets that are really cool (like the Warlock cloth armor set (but other classes can use them), which helmet makes your eyes go of an evil red hue). This, incidentally, is also how you customize your character.

hope it helps

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• ajaxxajaxx Member Posts: 476

1) Character Customization-

Basically a dozen or so options for face, hair style, hair color, and skin tone. Pretty basic and a little disappointing considering the overall artistic style of the world. You can still make a unique looking character but I'd stay away from the good looking models or you'll end up looking like a clone especially the human one's.

2) The Grind-

Levelling is a lot faster than other comparable mmog's. You can solo from 1-60 if you like, but the best rewards goto grouping and dungeon crawling. Post 60 the majority of pve requires grouping.

3) The World at Large-

You can go anywhere you like but your aggro radius will be much larger if your lower level than the intended zone.

4) Equipment-

Lot's of varied and distinguishable armor and weapons. The superior and elite weapons usually have distinctive art and cool special effects. There are also lots of different potions, trinkets, and enchantments that are available. For example Barov's Peasant Caller is my favorite trinket.

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

1. I found the level of custimzation to be pretty feeble. Of course the only games that (in my mind) have "good" character customization are City of Heros and Phantasy Star Online.

2. You can levell purely by questing pretty easilly. There is also something called a "rested bonus." Basically if you don't play for a while you get double Xp for everything you kill. In fact the game is largely reviled by hardcore gamers because they think it's "too easy."

3. The world is really fantastic. It has an amazing sense of freedom to me. And so many amazingly pretty zones (although, oddly, the horde capital city is one of the worst looking zones in the game). In fact some of the zones are so big it's a little annoying :)

4. There is a great variety of weapons and armor over the course of your levels. However, I found that at any given level 90% of the characters of a given class were wearing the same two or three armor sets. It's not as bad as Lineage II or FF XI, but not nearly as good as something like DAoC or Eq 1 where you can customize your armor. Weapon variety was much better (I don't believe I ever met anyone with a shovel!)

It's a great game overall. I'd highly recommend it. If the crafting system were better I'd still be playing it.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.