Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I wait for the next WoW...

I've been saving up for a few weeks to get WoW, but in the meanwhile I have been playing cs and gw, and I am not by any means bored. I tried the WoW beta, and I pretty much liked it, but I was wondering if I should get WoW, or a wait a few months for the next big mmorpg. Is there anything coming out in the near future that will be as big/bigger that WoW, or is WoW the best we're gonna get for a few years? I don't want to spend my money on this if in a few months something else will catch my eye and drag me away. Please give me your opinions.

Comments

• magebornmageborn Member Posts: 122

wow wont keep u interested for longer than 6 months

• Trigget4kTrigget4k Member Posts: 45

When you mean save up do you mean save up for the subscription or just for the game. I personally wouldn't get WoW becuase it just is so boring after some good moments but thats it. If I were you I would just wait for the new games and suck all the fun out of CS and GW while you can.

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

Or you could click the button called Game List and pick a better game than WoW like EVE, DAoC, UO, etc. There are more games to choose from than WoW.

• leipurileipuri Member Posts: 559
    Just because there is so many players dont mean you should go after it too.  image
  • angerrangerr Member Posts: 865
    i have all 3 of those games gw, cs, wow and i would buy wow if i was you. people love to bash wow but it is a great game in my opinion. especially since it may be a while untill anither great game comes out...

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by lightning13

I've been saving up for a few weeks to get WoW, but in the meanwhile I have been playing cs and gw, and I am not by any means bored. I tried the WoW beta, and I pretty much liked it, but I was wondering if I should get WoW, or a wait a few months for the next big mmorpg. Is there anything coming out in the near future that will be as big/bigger that WoW, or is WoW the best we're gonna get for a few years? I don't want to spend my money on this if in a few months something else will catch my eye and drag me away. Please give me your opinions.

Buy WOW, it is a very good game, much better than GW.
    Or you can wait for DDO, which should be a cross between GW and WOW, but it will be out in december.
    So you have 6 months to play WOW and if you get bored you can buy DDO image

PS: Also I noticed that you support Arsenal.......good boy image
    GO Gunners!!!!

• Shab_NiguratShab_Nigurat Member Posts: 64

WoW sux. Doesnt worht of buying at all. Even CS better than wow. If u play GW keep playing GW. Ull get bored of WoW after 5 mins of play

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458

It's true, people just like to bash on WoW because it's easy/they refuse to go with the flow/there's probably a third one but it's 5am here and my head hurts.

But that doesn't mean the opposite is right. It's true, you'll be bored with WoW within a few months. It's definately definately designed for the mid-levels rather than the high-levels. You'll have a lot of great times, but in the end, you'll feel drained and disappointed. You won't have achieved anything special, because there's hundreds of other level 60's on your server. PvP gets very repetitive (and yes, even battlegrounds).

I'm not trying to scare you away from a fun game. I'm just trying to give you the honest fact. And that fact is: WoW is a great game for someone relatively new to MMORPGs, and can give you a LOT of memorable times. But it's just something you won't dedicate yourself to like DAoC or EQ.

Hope this was helpful. I really urge you to do research on other games first before you buy WoW. Not saying it's a good or bad game, just saying WoW might not be your cup of tea, and you should look around a little bit before just shelling out for the game you've been hearing about the most.

-Machiavelli

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

There wont be a next WOW :S The list of new mmorpgs look crap and most of them don't even have PVP

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by Shab_Nigurat

WoW sux. Doesnt worht of buying at all. Even CS better than wow. If u play GW keep playing GW. Ull get bored of WoW after 5 mins of play

Oh please don't get me started on GW........
    I am not a fan of WoW but at least I played it for few months, and I enjoyed it throughoutly until it lasted.
    GW, on the other hand, I forced myself and played it for one week just to make sure that I wasn't wrong.
    And I wasn't.
    Most boring game I hever played, I would be surprised there is still people playing it at all.

• Shab_NiguratShab_Nigurat Member Posts: 64

Oh please don't get me started on GW........
    I am not a fan of WoW but at least I played it for few months, and I enjoyed it throughoutly until it lasted.
    GW, on the other hand, I forced myself and played it for one week just to make sure that I wasn't wrong.
    And I wasn't.
    Most boring game I hever played, I would be surprised there is still people playing it at all.

Because u cant play serious games like GW. WoW is easy and kiddish thats why u play it. GW is too difficult for u

• IvanRashnuIvanRashnu Member Posts: 178

Shab_Nigurat, I've been playing GuildWars and I've had fun so far, but it also disturbs me that you try to squeeze GuildWars in every single thread although they're not about GuildWars. Lightning13 is already playing it, what is the motive of putting GuildWars in this thread?

I'm also looking for a nice MMORPG after retiring Anarchy Online. I've been tracking Vanguard:Saga of Heroes and Irth Online. Irth Online is currently its open beta stage, I've got the client however I can't run it due to dreadful fps. Vanguard is its beta stage 0 (Family-Friends testers) Apparently all I need to wait for a while. I need a solid MMORPG which keeps me interested long like Ultima Online (I played it about 2 years). I think GuildWars won't be able to do it owing to its limited content. I don't say it's a bad game, I do know what its developers aim.

Let's wait and see ::::02::

• goatfacegoatface Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by IvanRashnu

I think GuildWars won't be able to do it owing to its limited content. I don't say it's a bad game, I do know what its developers aim.

Seems like you've yet to discover what the game is really about. ie: pvp.

Its like cs in a way. cs has been around for 5 or so years and still going strong, reason is people can keep building up their skill in playing, both personally (aim) and teamwork (strats). This is true for GW too, possibly why u belive it lacks content. In short.. it "lacks" content simply because it doesn't need it. The game is about pvp. Like a cs war. I've must have warred on Dust 2 over 500 times now image and still love it both online and at local lan comps.

Anyway, back on topic:

I played WoW for 2 months... meh.... nothing great. Just every overdone feature in other games put into one. so what? some people like it... i dont. May give it another go in a few months but currently im looking forward to either DnL or RV.

If your new to mmorpgs then get wow, if you've been around abit.... id pass.

• IvanRashnuIvanRashnu Member Posts: 178

lol don't tell me what GuildWars is all about. I said I knew what its developers aim. I do know it doesn't need a large content, yet I need a diversion and a lot of content to keep me interested in the game long, it is my will. That's why I've been looking for a MMORPG. In GuildWars, you can miss some content like crafting. That's what I'm getting at, I'm not complaining. By the way Counter Strike is far out of topic, even out of this Website's content, it's an obvious FPS, and not my style.

Loves

• thilliothillio Member Posts: 13

To bash wow as a bad game is overdoing it.  To say it's the best ever is, again, seriously overdoing it.

In the end I agree wow is fun for a while but seriously lacks in endgame content.  But if 3-5 months is enough for you by all means go for it.

• DztructionUKDztructionUK Member Posts: 33

despite all the bashing wow is one of the best mmorpgs out at the moment. its stable, with a lot of content and quite open pvp on pvp servers. personally i would say it was better than eve or guild wars, if you rush through the game trying to get to 60, you wont have as much fun as somone whos playing it just to have a good time.

gank gank gank gank gank...

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

If you have enough fun with GW and CS, play those for now.

If you start needing more fun, it will be time to try new MMOs.

I think GW have more potential for fun and enjoyment then WoW, but it all depend on what you want and what you enjoy.  I didnt even try GW, but I know I threw WoW far far away in a few hours!  image  WoW is not a bad game, it is just that it has the same flaws as EQ, and if you overplay EQ, those flaws wont be bearable for any lenght of time.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Ok here's an honest opinion since I have no axes to grind in the Fantasy Genre. I don't have a favorite fantasy title so here's what I have to say on the matter:

DAOC, EQ2, WOW, Lineage II and even Horizons are all fairly decent fantasy genre offerings.

Here's how I look at each of them. (Note these are the titles I've played or re-tried recently I'm not going to say anything about games I haven't tried in over 6 months even though I have played a ton more MMO's than I listed because if I haven't played it in 6 months my info is far too old to have an informed opinion)...

WOW: Very solid game. Good performance even on older systems. Seems to be designed with people new to the MMORPG Genre in mind because it is relatively simple compared to other MMO's in the genre and fairly repetetive. There isn't much depth in the game but what is there is high quality. I highly recommend WOW to players new to the Genre because it will give them a good base to build from and introduce them to the Genre in the most painless way possible. For the Solo player this is possibly the best MMORPG on the market.

EQ2: A step up from WoW on the depth chart. Also very stable. Also high quality graphics. Until the PVP expansion comes out it is "carebear", however, in that there is no PVP currently. It's got possibly the best questing system of any MMORPG I've played and is very good at getting the player involved in the story line. EQ2 is designed to encourage grouping and at higher levels grouping is pretty much required if you want to accomplish anything serious at all. But Solo play is possible and even enjoyable through much of the game. EQ2 also has a very detailed and in-depth crafting system though it's daunting at first and the crafting tutorial leaves a lot to be desired.

DAOC: This is an older title but probably one of the best implementations of voluntary PVP, which they call RvR. I played this title for 2 years when it came out (with occasional breaks to try other games). The low end of this game will be tough because most of the player base is high level and they allow anyone who's reached level 50 to start an alt at level 20 so you'll feel pretty lonely until you hit at least your 20's and can group with other folks' alternate characters. The game is very good but the quest system isn't the greatest. Crafting is one of the better systems out there except that you have to spend gobs and gobs of cash to improve at crafting which means that established crafters have no real competition unless someone has a personal fortune to blow to invest in training their crafting skill up. If you like PVP though this game is top notch and has the best PvP system in any MMO I've played except, possibly, for EvE.

Lineage II: My info is a tad dated on this one because the last time I gave it another shot was a couple months ago. The low level game is somewhat better and it seems like they moved the Grind out to 20+ (Before it started at around level 12 and just got worse from there). I'd compare it's level grind to that of EQ1 but with less to do to make the grind less onerous. The game has improved a lot and it's one of the only MMO's out with completely open PVP so if you enjoy that it's pretty good. The game isn't all that Deep and PVP seems to be it's only real "end game" but they have added a lot of PVE content since it's release. As far as quests? It's got the worst quest system I have ever seen and the Crafting is a joke but it's not a bad game... It's got a HUGE player base but most of it is in Asia. There is also a problem for low level players, especially new players, because there ARE a lot of BOTS in the game that tend to wipe out entire spawn areas farming cash for vets.

Horizons: Now this is a game that's improved a LOT since it came out. The graphics are top-notch though the animation still isn't what I'd consider fluid. The combat system is a bit tame but they have played with some interesting ideas there. You can be a dragon in this one, which is fairly neat. The crafting system is top notch, personally I think it's better than or on-par with EQ2's crafting. They're very similar but HZ's crafting is a lot less complicated which, to me, is a good thing but others like EQ2's crafting better. As far as Crafting goes I think the top 4 MMO's on the market for crafting are SWG, EQ2, UO and Horizons. You can rank them pretty differently depending on your preference. Horizon's single biggest problem today is lack of players. You can go hours without running into another player if you don't play during peak time and even then players are fairly few and far between. This game was released far to early and hasn't really recovered from a launch riddled with issues and promises that weren't fulfilled till over a year after release. It's a solid title now but it is today what it should have beenw hen it came out which means that even though it's better it's still not what it should be for a game that's been out for over a year.

All 4 are decent. My preference of the 4 would be EQ2 because it's got new players that you can hunt with and old players that are helpful and a very detailed quest system that'll keep you busy even if nobody you know is online and a solid crafting system that's pretty fun once you learn it. If you are NEW to the Genre go with WoW.... if you've been playing MMOs much then you'll probably like EQ2 more. Horizons, DAOC and L2 are also good titles and I believe both DAOC and Horizons have free trials out.

But the real honest answer is:
    If you are enjoying what you are currently playing then I wouldn't bother sinking money into another game until you're growing bored with one or more of the ones you are enjoying now :) Wait till you feel like you need something different/new before moving to another game :) That's one of the main reasons why I still play Star Wars Galaxies. A lot of people bash it and some have decent reason to (the game isn't perfect) but I love it, it's still extremely fun for me and I have no real urge to move to any other MMO. If I get an urge for Fantasy play I have an SOE All Access Pass so I can hop on EQ2 for a fast fix... which is fairly rare... but for the most part I play SWG almost exclusively because I just simply enjoy the heck out of it. I have no intention of spending money on another MMORPG until/unless I start feeling the need to move on from it. If you're happy where you're at and aren't feeling like you're bored at all... why move? :)

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• xanthanxanthan Member Posts: 3

I bought WOW a few weeks ago and i genuinely tried to like it but failed miserably. The games lacks any real depth and anyone thats played the older popular games (EQ, DAOC, AO, etc) will find it to be a dumbed down, newbie friendly game with cartoon graphics populated by tens of thousands of little immature kids runing around screaming "i will ownz joo" at the top of their lungs.

I think this sums it up...after creating my first character i go to play and walk from my starting point to the small town a couple hundred feet away and was challenged to duel by no less then 7 people. LOL

Goodluck.

• lightning13lightning13 Member Posts: 58

Thanks for all the input everyone. There seems to be a lot of controversy in this thread.

Towards the GW issue: Even for me, GW seems to be slipping awap slowly, I don't play it as much as I do counterstrike nowadays, but I try to get a few hours in every week. I'm hoping that the first expansion will be something that will keep me wanting to play this game, because the only thing I am working towards in GW is getting skills for GvG/PvP, but I'm sure that will only last another month at most.

As for playing mmorpg's other than WoW, I have already played lineage II, FFXI, RO, and a few more. I wanted to do the trial for EQII, but it was taking way too long to undate, and I knew that my computer wouldn't be able to run it smoothly. WoW is the only game (that I havn't subscribed to) that will fit on my computer and run smoothly (which I know from the beta).

Also, from what I hear/reasearched, there won't be any mmorpg's coming out any time soon that will be as big/popular as the ones we already have. Maybe it's just me, but I don't get bored as easily as most gamers do, which may be why I havn't been flaming GW, and which will probably mean that I can suck the full 6 months out of WoW. Maybe the combination of WoW and GW will get me more into GW again, who knows.

PS: I'm not really interested in the whole science-fiction mmorpg (I'm a fantasy guy), which is why EVE online probably won't interest me.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

I hope you read Elnator's post on the fantasy games he has played, he hit the nail on the head.  I was going to post long info on each game but will only add a little to his list:

Anarchy Online:  This game is currently free (until Jan 06 with classic AO only) and can be very fun to mess around with for a while if you just need to tide some time and don't mind the space war genre.  It could probably tie up 3 months before you start to get sick of some of the more serious flaws in this game.

Knight Online:  This game is also free.  The population is mostly foreign but the game is interesting and can be fun once you figure out how the level and skill point system works.  Try a toon here but don't get attached because by the time you hit 20 you will realize you fooked up your template and will need to start over.  In the end, it has a long arduous grind, moderate amounts of content, can be overcrowded at times, but has some decent PvP at the end (like all Korean games it seems).

Eve Online:  This game is pay to play, but soo much fun.  Extreme learning curve IMO for beginners.  Open PvP.  If set up right your character continues to learn skills even when offline.  Overall a great space game.  Time is a serious limiting factor with this game as even with learning skills while offline, your progression is extremely slow.  Getting a character to full development requires months since progression is in real-time, not based on an accelerated in game clock and certain xp gain.

My vote for best bet to keep you occupied for 6 months?  Fantasy Genre:  DAOC, EQ2, WoW.  Space:  Eve Online, SWG.

• TheWackoTheWacko Member Posts: 68

As usual the WoW bashers come out without any evidence to support their bashing.

"I played WoW, it sux" or "You'll get bored in 2 days" or "GW r0x0rzj00 WoW suxorz"

Just more crap from self proclaimed "L33Td00dz"

WoW is a MMORPG with quests, PvP, GvG and crafting.  Don't play this game single, join an active guild that do instances and quests.  If you subject yourself to playing this game alone, then yes... you won't have much to do in the long run.  If you want to talk more indepth about the game itself, stop by our TeamSpeak server message me here if you would like the info.

• firemagicfiremagic Member Posts: 878

Originally posted by TheWacko
    As usual the WoW bashers come out without any evidence to support their bashing.
    "I played WoW, it sux" or "You'll get bored in 2 days" or "GW r0x0rzj00 WoW suxorz"
    Just more crap from self proclaimed "L33Td00dz"
    WoW is a MMORPG with quests, PvP, GvG and crafting.  Don't play this game single, join an active guild that do instances and quests.  If you subject yourself to playing this game alone, then yes... you won't have much to do in the long run.  If you want to talk more indepth about the game itself, stop by our TeamSpeak server message me here if you would like the info.

WoW has Guild v Guild PvP? When did they put that in?

• lightning13lightning13 Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by TheWacko
    Just more crap from self proclaimed "L33Td00dz"
    WoW is a MMORPG with quests, PvP, GvG and crafting. Don't play this game single, join an active guild that do instances and quests. If you subject yourself to playing this game alone, then yes... you won't have much to do in the long run. If you want to talk more indepth about the game itself, stop by our TeamSpeak server message me here if you would like the info.

Hey, you seem like your in a pretty cool clan, and if it enhances the fun factor of the game, I'd like to join. I'd like the TS info, or you could e-mail me ([email protected]).

PS: I'll probably get the game monday/tuesday.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Wacko, an aweful lot of ppl stated that WoW is a good game and there are few that say GW is actually that much better than WoW.  The fact of the matter remains that many people feel it is too simple, levelling is a joke, crafting is a joke, the pvp is moderately decent, and endgame raiding is only moderate atm.  Good Guilds enhance any game's playability, however you can find that in any MMOG out there.

The point is that the OP asked if he should stay with GW and CS or invest his hard earned cash in WoW.  I think you have misinterpreted people saying to stick to his 2 current games as meaning WoW sucks, while that clearly is not the case.

WoW does not suck, it merely is not worth the investment when you already have several other good games in your possession.  There is no need for "evidence" to support people's opinions either.  That is why they are called opinions instead of facts.  Stating a fact requires evidence if it contradicts commonly believed truth, however there is nothing in all the previous posts that could be broadly labelled a commonly believed truth, much less a fact.