Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cardboard “disc”

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,712
So... in general I’m enjoying F76 but this is one thing bothering me

I almost didnt mind at first, even though I found it really odd to find disc shaped cardboard in the box.  What really put it over the edge was when I received my Steelbook case yesterday in the mail. I’m not a collector or anything but the case was beautiful.  Probably the nicest one I’ve ever seen.  The outside is beautiful and the inside was a recreation of the map.

Am I supposed to put the cardboard disc in it?

I understand that disc clients can be outdated... but the same would be true for XBOX and PS4 versions and they got actual discs...

WTF?

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

thunderCTorvalceratop001Xarko

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 5,810
    They gave you a cardboard disc ?  :D Sorry that is just too funny.
    Asm0deusGobstopper3DScot
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 19,272
    Throw the cardboard in recycling. 

It will just get old and faded over time in that case.

Scot
  • RaquisRaquis Member UncommonPosts: 929

i am more interested in seeing what a f**K up Star Field and Elders scrolls 6 are going to be than being hyped anymore to play it that's what a joke Bethesda and gaming has become!
    Asm0deusPhrythunderCetlarRhoklaw
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member RarePosts: 2,462
    Raquis said:

i am more interested in seeing what a f**K up Star Field and Elders scrolls 6 are going to be than being hyped anymore to play it that's what a joke Bethesda and gaming has become!
    lmao I really laughed my arse off watching this video!

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

case: Coolermaster HAF932
    PSU: Antec EA 750watt
    RAM: 4x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
    Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
    CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
    GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
    cooling: Noctua NH-D14
    storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD

• thunderCthunderC Member EpicPosts: 2,069
    I blame all this shit on EA, I blame it on EA because they are so goddam good at making money and stick it up the gamers ASS so good that every other big studio out there is scrambling to either cut corners or downright stick it up your ass too. In this case the the cardboard paper disc could essentially double as toilet paper in a extreme situation. I mean when you think about it, it would have been way cooler if they printed the game code on actual toilet paper to stick up your ass and call it wasteland emergency wipe or something witty like that. Imagine a collectors item/game code & actual household item with practical use ?!!!

OG_Zorvan
    “Those who control the present, control the past and those who control the past control the future.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,712
    cheyane said:
    The worst part is that one of the guys in my group ordered from Amazon and his package was a day late.  He waited all that time just for a code on a cardboard disc...

Like I said, personally I thought it was silly but after they sent the Steelcase I really started to think about how ludicrous it was.
    thunderC

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WellspringWellspring Member RarePosts: 1,127
    I love how you're gripping the disc around the edges so as not to scratch the card board with your fingers. :lol:
    ConstantineMerusthunderCsneakerz007KyleranQuizzicalrertezbartoni33TheDarkrayneCaffynatedmikeb0817
    --------------------------------------------
    That’s not my pic.  Sorry.  Maybe tonight I’ll take one next to the steelcase

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 18,010
    cheyane said:
    The worst part is that one of the guys in my group ordered from Amazon and his package was a day late.  He waited all that time just for a code on a cardboard disc...

Like I said, personally I thought it was silly but after they sent the Steelcase I really started to think about how ludicrous it was.
    The entire point of ordering it physically is to use the media. WTF! They should at least have emailed you the digital code early. What a joke.
    Slapshot1188AethaerynIselinsneakerz007ceratop001LokeroConstantineMerusAsm0deusbartoni33Robsolf
    traveller, interloper, anomaly

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

• WizardryWizardry Member EpicPosts: 14,931
    edited November 16
    People just now figuring out this was a huge corner cutting game ..haha,no wonder devs have such high sales.

We just went through that Microsoft published Pirate game that was an absolute joke,a slap in the face to anyone who bought it and here we go again,basically a 6 month production of H1Z1 using the Fallout76 logo.

I hope before i die these gamer's SMARTEN up so these devs have to start making quality games and not get rich off of crap.Seeing how many waste money on cell phones,i guess it is going to get worse for gaming but better for cheap ass developers.

I just loved how i happened on Dans gaming stream,also a known sponsored streamer,he made sure to EXCUSE the lack of gaming by using a title that said something like...Enjoying it for the exploration..haha good one.
    Post edited by Wizardry on

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

I like in that video how Bethesda says "we love this engine because it helps us make games fast" lmao.Creating 1/10th of a game also helps you make them fast as well.

I forgot to mention both Cohh and Dans gaming tried to play up the Lore/immersion idea by both sitting there reading every last word on the computer screens they find in buildings..zzzzzzzzz.
    thunderC

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 25,385
    edited November 16
    Wizardry said:
    I like in that video how Bethesda says "we love this engine because it helps us make games fast" lmao.Creating 1/10th of a game also helps you make them fast as well.

Not "engine," editor. It's the editor that helps them create games fast.

And he's right, having tried other games' editors, I absolutely love this one. Wish it was a bit less buggy/wonky though.
    Post edited by Sovrath on

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 11,834
    Just when you thought you had seen everything. That is fucking ludicrous especially considering you have to wait longer than those who just bought the digital download.
    Torval
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
    That’s not my pic.  Sorry.  Maybe tonight I’ll take one next to the steelcase
    Heres a pic of the Steelcase outside, inside... and with the "disc"

TorvalAsm0deusWaan

edited November 16
    double
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 18,010
    I'm sorry but I seriously lol'd at the idiocy those pictures lay out. This has to be the result of a revenue strategy meeting. Good thing they used a quality protective case to keep that cardstock cutout.

I must be the one out of touch. Why wouldn't I want to buy an empty DVD case?
    MisterZebubSlapshot1188IselinAsm0deusd_20Scot
    traveller, interloper, anomaly

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

• MisterZebubMisterZebub Member EpicPosts: 2,896
    Torval said:
    I'm sorry but I seriously lol'd at the idiocy those pictures lay out. This has to be the result of a revenue strategy meeting. Good thing they used a quality protective case to keep that cardstock cutout.

IselinTorvalAsm0deusetlarbartoni33CaffynatedScotRhoklaw

"Mama's gonna make all of your nightmares come true
    Mama's gonna put all of her fears into you
    Mama's gonna keep you right here under her wing
    She won't let you fly but she might let you sing
    Mama will keep baby cozy and warm
    Ooh babe
    Ooh babe
    Ooh babe of course mama's gonna help build the wall”

edited November 17
    Torval said:

Oh no... I'm sorry.  That protective Steelbook was mailed separately!  I picked up my game on Weds but the Steelbook came via UPS (not even the USPS) on Thursday.   

So they literally made not one, but two cases for a cardboard fake disc. And whatever pennies that’s saved on the disc were dwarfed by not just having 2 useless cases, but shipping the steel case as a separate item with UPS...

Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    Torvald_20

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,551
    Torval said:
    cheyane said:

The entire point of ordering it physically is to use the media. WTF! They should at least have emailed you the digital code early. What a joke.
    Agree with Torval that is some weak shit. It just tells me that have too many young people in charge over their. Please explain to the young folks growing up that physical media actually means a disc if you put it in a disc case. Unbelievable.
    Torval

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Really cool steel case to protect that 'disc'...

You know what they say; diamonds are nice, but cardboard is forever!
    TorvalAsm0deusKyleran

1. You have the right to shut the hell up.
    2. You have the right to a opinion just as soon as I tell you what it is.
    3. You have the right to die quietly or kicking and screaming. It doesn't really make a difference because you're dead either way.

• crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 34
    thunderC said:
    I blame all this shit on EA, I blame it on EA because they are so goddam good at making money and stick it up the gamers ASS so good that every other big studio out there is scrambling to either cut corners or downright stick it up your ass too. In this case the the cardboard paper disc could essentially double as toilet paper in a extreme situation. I mean when you think about it, it would have been way cooler if they printed the game code on actual toilet paper to stick up your ass and call it wasteland emergency wipe or something witty like that. Imagine a collectors item/game code & actual household item with practical use ?!!!

The real blame goes on the gamers themselves for allowing these companies to continue to put out mediocre games and they just keep on stuffing their faces and asking for more instead of just saying "NO".
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,551
    crankked said:
    thunderC said:

The real blame goes on the gamers themselves for allowing these companies to continue to put out mediocre games and they just keep on stuffing their faces and asking for more instead of just saying "NO".
    We do complain to them. All the time we knock them for their faults. Please read the forums more.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,322
    Think of those who ordered the disc to avoid downloading the whole thing. If it was me, I would've eat the damned thing out of frustration. 
    TorvalKyleran
    Something wicked comes this way @Feb-2019
    Is it perhaps possible this was a last minute decision because they had problems with the publishing?
    As mentioned,you would have THOUGHT they would release the code right away,that is what always happens in these cases with other games.

Or were they purposely TRYING to avoid backlash,so kept a secret,that would be some pretty shotty business standards that deserve a lot of backlash.

I would lol so hard if their PR team comes up with some excuse...oh this was a mistake at our distribution center  lol.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member RarePosts: 2,462
    Was there somekind of small print saying no physical DVD/CD included? 

Jeez what a rip off, I wonder if some people are thinking about refunds....lol

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

case: Coolermaster HAF932
    PSU: Antec EA 750watt
    RAM: 4x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
    Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
    CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
    GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
    cooling: Noctua NH-D14
    storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD