Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIP Stan Lee

2»

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Amathe said:
    I am reminded of the reported last words of Alexandre Dumas, who when asked his feelings about death responded "I shall tell her a story and she will be kind to me." I know somewhere Stan is telling a story and getting good treatment.
    We should all expect to see Grim Reaper in a whole new custom. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Rain_DeathravenRain_Deathraven Member UncommonPosts: 87
    RIP :(
    AmatheUngood
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    He leaves a legacy behind which will outstretch Disney's. Not in a single organisation, as the rights are variously held, but the ideas and the mediums into which you can put supers. While DC struggled and in many ways still does to impart their vision to the world of entertainment, his picked up that torch and ran with it until you get what we see today.

Nuff' said.
    SBFordUngood
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Will they use a cardboard cut out of him so he can cameo in future films?  Not being disrespectful.  I think he would enjoy that better than flowers at his grave.
    Scot

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Much sadness.
    That man was as much of an influence on today's nerd culture as Tolkien was. If not more so.

RIP Stan, and thanks for all the fond memories!
    Asm0deusGorweScotSBFordUngood

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Will they use a cardboard cut out of him so he can cameo in future films?  Not being disrespectful.  I think he would enjoy that better than flowers at his grave.
    You have raised an intriguing suggestion, with digital effects now it would be easy to put him in every Marvel film from here on in, he only appears for a few seconds. :)
  • WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 375
    I feel bad for Stan Lee.  Not because he died, but because of how alone he must've been what with his daughter and blood-related family isolating him further and further from his support base.  I'm also happy that he's not suffering anymore, but will miss him and his wit all the same even if I never had any encounter with him.
    MadFrenchieConstantineMerus
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    It is actually sad how bad elder abuse is. 

The elderly get abused so bad especially financially. When the elderly get older they revert back to being powerless like kids with the exception that they get money from the state. Family, like they do in child abuse, are usually the one that abuses elderly. 

Pretty sad, that someone like Stan Lee, could potentially be taken advantage of, but we all lose our faculties when we get older. 

[Deleted User]craftseeker
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited November 2018
    As I understand it Stan lee eniedthat he was being abused or harassed by his family in any way shape or form. Whether that's true or not are he was protecting his family I don' know.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2018/04/13/marvels-stan-lee-denies-reports-abused-friends-family/

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    DMKano said:
    It is actually sad how bad elder abuse is. 

The elderly get abused so bad especially financially. When the elderly get older they revert back to being powerless like kids with the exception that they get money from the state. Family, like they do in child abuse, are usually the one that abuses elderly. 

Pretty sad, that someone like Stan Lee, could potentially be taken advantage of, but we all lose our faculties when we get older. 

The strong prey on the weak - not sure how these people live with themselves. Sociopaths probably.
    I don't think it is just sociopaths. The rate of sexual abuse is absurdly high and child/elderly abuse are very common. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited November 2018
    He really loved his fans. Seriously click the link and hear Stan Lee talk about his love for his fans. What an amazing person.

Amathecraftseeker[Deleted User]MadFrenchieUngood

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    To be honest I never knew about him until I watched Spiderman with Toby Maguire.  Outside of Superman and Batman I hadn't really been a big fan of Super Hero related things.  I wasn't really into comic books that much.  The Spiderman movie was something I related to.  Toby was from my generation and his life in high school was something I could relate to.  His character was also very human and flawed.  He was by no means a near perfect character like Spiderman and he wasn't rich and snoby like Batman.  He has become my favorite super hero even though I will always like Christopher Reeve's Superman.
    Scot
  • DwaaawffulDwaaawfful Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Deal is, Stan Lee changed the landscape of the medium he was passionate about.

This doesn't happen very often.

Look at most fantasy games and literature ... and it's impossible to ignore Tolkien.

Look at most rpgs ... and it's impossible to ignore Gygax.

Stan Lee figured this deal with comics, no doubt about it.

In those early Spideys, readers were often less gripped by the webslinger's duels with the Lizard, the Rhino and the Green Goblin than they were with concerns like ... will Aunt May be Ok? ... and will Petey hit it off with Mary Jane Watson?

(The issue where she finally appears on Petey's doorstep is a classic.  Lee trailed her arrival for months, building up the impression that she was going to be a nightmare.  The panel when she finally shows is precisely the killer storytelling that put DC to the sword.)

Plenty people have influenced their chosen media, but often it's in a tangential way.

Lee messed with comics bedrock — and it's hard to see his influence unravelling any time soon.

ScotAlBQuirky
    Stumpiness & Unbridled Misery Masquerading as VIRTUE

Need an AI-Free Elf Names Generator to bring your next elven character to life? Why ... course you do, you darn fool!