Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epidemic of wrong views

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited November 2018
    klash2def said:
    wait whats going on?
    I'll try to explain with a fun analogy. 

Imagine if you will someone claiming that listening to the music you enjoy most on a cell phone or computer whenever you want is just too easy and makes it a crap experience.

The same person longs for a day when everyone listened to music on AM radio stations where they controlled what was listened to and how often it was played.

To get around this limitations people back then had to listen to music on vinyl "records" or 8 track tape players which made it a more challenging and meaningful experience.

It was especially made more special because fans could not easily choose the playing order and had to accept listening to the entire "group" of songs per album side until they finally got to the content they really wanted to hear.

The "hardcore" music fan proposes a return to delivering music on an 8 Track tape format because music fans really had to struggle to overcome its many limitations such as skipping due to the metal joining band right in the middle of a favorite song.  

For extra fun, people had to regularly clean the heads and player or it would freely "eat" the tape, fully "looting" you of your money and forcing a repurchase of the tape.

Finally, our forward thinking friend reveals he has never actually owned an 8 track player, having started listening to music after CDs had long since replaced earlier formats due to its superiority, even if some claimed some "magical" fidelity was lost from the days of vinyl. 

He has however listened to music on a 20 year old 8 track player which he totally didn't care for,  however he is "sure" with modern technical improvements people will willing flock back to listening to music on 8 track players, if only someone with vision and resources would actual build them.

Those of you enjoying Pandora as I am right now are just "sheep" for not agreeing with his argument and can just be considered as mindless pawns of "the man."

Now shut up and listen.

Signed

Kyle, AKA "Power Poster #2"

EponyxDamorcraftseekerklash2defMrMelGibsonCryomatrix[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Kyleran said:
    klash2def said:
    wait whats going on?

Imagine if you will someone claiming that listening to the music you enjoy most on a cell phone or computer whenever you want is just too easy and makes it a crap experience.

The same person longs for a day when everyone listened to music on AM radio stations where they controlled what was listened to and how often it was played.

To get around this limitations people back then had to listen to music on vinyl "records" or 8 track tape players which made it a more challenging and meaningful experience.

It was especially made more special because fans could not easily choose the playing order and had to accept listening to the entire "group" of songs per album side until they finally got to the content they really wanted to hear.

The "hardcore" music fan proposes a return to delivering music on an 8 Track tape format because music fans really had to struggle to overcome its many limitations such as skipping due to the metal joining band right in the middle of a favorite song.  

For extra fun, people had to regularly clean the heads and player or it would freely "eat" the tape, fully "looting" you of your money and forcing a repurchase of the tape.

Finally, our forward thinking friend reveals he has never actually owned an 8 track player, having started listening to music after CDs had long since replaced earlier formats due to its superiority, even if some claimed some "magical" fidelity was lost from the days of vinyl. 

He has however listened to music on a 20 year old 8 track player which he totally didn't care for,  however he is "sure" with modern technical improvements people will willing flock back to listening to music on 8 track players, if only someone with vision and resources would actual build them.

Those of you enjoying Pandora as I am right now are just "sheep" for not agreeing with his argument and can just be considered as mindless pawns of "the man."

Now shut up and listen.

Signed

Your a power poster, nothing wrong with that, but not a self proclaimed expert... so your ok :)
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Kyleran said:
    klash2def said:
    wait whats going on?

Now shut up and listen.

Signed

ahh for fun .. My first 2 eight tracks Deep Purple/ Machine Head  and Pink Floyd/ Animals , i wore them both out .. Epic days
    laseritKyleranMrMelGibson
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited November 2018
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    klash2def said:
    wait whats going on?

Now shut up and listen.

Signed

ahh for fun .. My first 2 eight tracks Deep Purple/ Machine Head  and Pink Floyd/ Animals , i wore them both out .. Epic days
    Machine Head was the first album I bought with my own money.

@Kyleran One thing that I cant quite get my head around is that sometimes when I'm listening to an album through my Iphone a song will start skipping, maybe Apple does that for realism ;)
    ScorchienKyleranMrMelGibson

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Is it intentional that the original post is an example of the thread title?
    MadFrenchieMrMelGibson[Deleted User]
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    delete5230 poking power posters nest. 
    [Deleted User]KyleranlaseritMrMelGibsonCryomatrix[Deleted User]
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    klash2def said:
    wait whats going on?

Now shut up and listen.

Signed

@Kyleran One thing that I cant quite get my head around is that sometimes when I'm listening to an album through my Iphone a song will start skipping, maybe Apple does that for realism ;)
     Problem with 8 tracks players is that you had to rely on the forward push of the tape pushing on the drive motors to drive the tape across the head, to make matter worst, the motors didn't directly drive the tape, it was driven by a belt and the belt would ware out like a rubber band.  And even worst, you could never find a good replacement belt, to tight it would speed too loos it would drag..... Then on top of all that the power transistors were not efficient, inefficiency would cause  higher watts and current draw, so they would burn up.   Us Hammer heads back in the day had to blast music to the max, I guess that was our way of making up for low fidelity.  Add that we didn't have the 12 bucks to pay for new transistors.  Most would stiff me on the bill and avoid me until I forgot about it.

Cassettes were much better they ran directly off the turn wheels in the center of the tape, their fore less drag.    

To make a long story short, jamming a book of matches under the 8 track tro make them hold tight helped, I'm sure you all had a book of matches cause half the kids smoked in school, because that was cool, now their all buttercups.
    Kyleranlaseritbartoni33
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    This is an opinion website. Everyone is an expert in their own minds. Not sure if OP is just ranting and letting off steam. I get mad all the time with people in here, but that is what makes it interesting for me to comment and share my ideas. We need a group hug maybe...
    MrMelGibson

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949

"Power Poster".. I haven't heard that name in years. Folk don't call me that anymore.  
    [Deleted User]laseritMrMelGibson[Deleted User]
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

This is an opinion website. Everyone is an expert in their own minds. Not sure if OP is just ranting and letting off steam. I get mad all the time with people in here, but that is what makes it interesting for me to comment and share my ideas. We need a group hug maybe...
    EVERYONE would get a hug but me :(
    ceratop001AsheramMrMelGibson
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Idelete5230 said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    klash2def said:
    wait whats going on?

Now shut up and listen.

Signed

Problem with 8 tracks players is that you had to rely on the forward push of the tape pushing on the drive motors to drive the tape across the head, to make matter worst, the motors didn't directly drive the tape, it was driven by a belt and the belt would ware out like a rubber band.  And even worst, you could never find a good replacement belt, to tight it would speed too loos it would drag..... Then on top of all that the power transistors were not efficient, inefficiency would cause  higher watts and current draw, so they would burn up.   Us Hammer heads back in the day had to blast music to the max, I guess that was our way of making up for low fidelity.  Add that we didn't have the 12 bucks to pay for new transistors.  Most would stiff me on the bill and avoid me until I forgot about it.

Cassettes were much better they ran directly off the turn wheels in the center of the tape, their fore less drag.    

To make a long story short, jamming a book of matches under the 8 track tro make them hold tight helped, I'm sure you all had a book of matches cause half the kids smoked in school, because that was cool, now their all buttercups.
    I like your post and it was very informative. But at that time in history if you wanted to listen to an album in your car it was 8-Track. And my father played them often and he loved having that choice from FM/ AM radio. I remember fondly Marty Robins playing on his car 8-Track driving to my grandfathers house for Christmas dinner.
    laseritMrMelGibson
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    EVERYONE would get a hug but me :(
    Hey I hugged you but did you have to grab my.... B)
    craftseekerlaseritMrMelGibsonCryomatrix

Sal1 said:
    Idelete5230 said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    klash2def said:
    wait whats going on?

Now shut up and listen.

Signed

I like your post and it was very informative. But at that time in history if you wanted to listen to an album in your car it was 8-Track. And my father played them often and he loved having that choice from FM/ AM radio. I remember fondly Marty Robins playing on his car 8-Track driving to my grandfathers house for Christmas dinner.
    And that's if your car made it to your grandfathers house, without the battery going dead, a flat tire or the engine blew out, back then cars only got 60 thousand miles. but on a good note people didn't mind walking. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Sal1 said:
    Idelete5230 said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    klash2def said:
    wait whats going on?

Now shut up and listen.

Signed

While cassettes were better sometime record labels had the nerve to split a song in half across both sides in order to avoid paying for a little extra tape.

MrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited November 2018
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    klash2def said:
    wait whats going on?

Now shut up and listen.

Signed

Totally off topic but I am posting this as I am listening to the 50th Anniversary Edition of The White Album that released today. Totally worth the money.

This is now a thread about great music released before most posters here were born.

Edit: Never bought any 8 tracks. My first album was Kiss Alive when I was 8 or so (Mom bought for me). My first musical purchase I personally bought was CD's of Abbey Road and Hair of the Dog in '86. I still have them.
    Kyleranlaserit

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Why anyone with a modicum of sense would reply to any of this genius' posts in a serious manner is beyond me.  And yet, I keep seeing people attempt to talk to a brick wall.  
    craftseeker
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    klash2def said:
    wait whats going on?

Now shut up and listen.

Signed

I hated 8 tracks because they had no rewind, if you wanted to hear that song again you had to fast forward through the damn tape until you got there again. God forbid if you forwarded too far ;)

Anybody  else hold a microphone next to the speaker in order to make your own greatest hits compilations ;)
    KyleranMrMelGibson

klash2def said:

"Power Poster".. I haven't heard that name in years. Folk don't call me that anymore.  
    That looks like my brother ;)
    [Deleted User]klash2defMrMelGibsonAlBQuirky

edited November 2018
    bartoni33 said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    klash2def said:
    wait whats going on?

Now shut up and listen.

Signed

Totally off topic but I am posting this as I am listening to the 50th Anniversary Edition of The White Album that released today. Totally worth the money.

This is now a thread about great music released before most posters here were born.

Edit: Never bought any 8 tracks. My first album was Kiss Alive when I was 8 or so (Mom bought for me). My first musical purchase I personally bought was CD's of Abbey Road and Hair of the Dog in '86. I still have them.
    I was a proud member of the Kiss Army lol. Hear they are doing a farewell tour and the the first show is here in Vancouver.

Think I'll bid them farewell.

I was pissed when my mother wouldn't let me buy a ticket during the Love Gun tour ;)
    bartoni33KyleranMrMelGibson

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Lol!  I love these threads.

/popcorn
    Seconded.  I kinda wanna force the OP and Wizardry into a forum debate just to see the fireworks.
    [Deleted User]laseritKyleranLokeroMrMelGibson[Deleted User]

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    laserit said:
    bartoni33 said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    klash2def said:
    wait whats going on?

Now shut up and listen.

Signed

I was a proud member of the Kiss Army lol. Hear they are doing a farewell tour and the the first show is here in Vancouver.

I was pissed when my mother wouldn't let me buy a ticket during the Love Gun tour ;)
    Me too! I still think that they never got a fair shake because of the makeup. I honestly put them just below Zeppelin and Sabbath in the 70's Rock Pantheon.
    KyleranMrMelGibson

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

edited November 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Sal1 said:
    Idelete5230 said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    klash2def said:
    wait whats going on?

Now shut up and listen.

Signed

While cassettes were better sometime record labels had the nerve to split a song in half across both sides in order to avoid paying for a little extra tape.

Well funny you should mention the record labels... It just so happened that when I got out of the Air Force I went to work for the second largest cassette manufacturing company in the world, it was called Specialty Records. I worked as a duplicating tech, where the operators would run the recorders and I would fix the machines. By the way they recorded at high speed, I think 64X speed off a large spool of tape called a pancake, you could get about fifty recordings from one pancake..   The process of deciding where the music would end before putting the recording on the reverse track was decided by the mastering department, not the labels, it was simply up to the employee where to end the music.... This procedure was simply up to the master tech only.  No one else had a say, and no one really cared.  It was never a money saving issue.

bartoni33MrMelGibsonCryomatrix
    bartoni33 said:
    laserit said:
    bartoni33 said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    klash2def said:
    wait whats going on?

Now shut up and listen.

Signed

Me too! I still think that they never got a fair shake because of the makeup. I honestly put them just below Zeppelin and Sabbath in the 70's Rock Pantheon.
    They catered to us kids, remember that tv movie filmed at Magic Mountain

Imho Dressed to Kill was their best album

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    bartoni33 said:
    laserit said:
    bartoni33 said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    klash2def said:
    wait whats going on?

Now shut up and listen.

Signed

Pops and I are looking at buying tickets to their End of the Road Tour...  I really wanna make it happen, because he first saw them as a high schooler..  So epic to experience that band with him now.

I remember him blaring Kiss and AC/DC in his old Ranger every day while he practiced us at the ball fields.
    delete5230laseritMrMelGibson

This discussion has been closed.