Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bill Murphy - Fallout 76 May Be the Sandbox MMO We've Been Waiting For - MMORPG.com

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The most hypocritical part of it all is people say MMOs are where you play with 1000s of players...

but...

then move the goal post back and say MMOs with less than 20 people online are still MMOs because there is the "potential" for 1000s (then at that point any game would fit the "potential" part lol.) But fallout 76 still has more people on at a time then many smaller MMOs do lol
    That's not really hypocrisy mate. Capacity and success are two different factors to measure. 
    True, if a game does not have the capability of handling hundreds of players at the very least then it isn't Massively Multiplayer, just regular Multiplayer, at the same time a game that is capable of handling hundreds if not thousands of players but only has a dozen or so players does not cease being a Massively Multiplayer game on that basis, the capability is there even if the players are not. It is something that actually happens quite a bit in region locked MMO's where during off peak hours when players are either sleeping or at work, there are far fewer people logged in than during peak hours in the evening.
    As a quick rule of thumb, if a game has 10's of players then its Multiplayer and if it has 100's of players its probably a Massively Multiplayer.
    You can't have Massively Multiplayer without having 100's of players at the very least, its a basic requirement. :/
    ConstantineMerus
  • CitizenX007CitizenX007 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I will not be playing this "MMO".
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,908
    I will not be playing this "MMO".
    Welcome to the boards!

A pithy first post at that. :)
    ConstantineMerus

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• DEXA88DEXA88 Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Fallout 76 the mmo i was paid to advertise - Better name for your article !
    VinterkrigBlueliner
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,934
    edited November 2018
    Albatroes said:
    I have this feeling Bill threw a live grenade into a crowded room just to see the reaction.
    He rubbed his hands together and cackled like an evil genius right before submitting this article.
    Are you suggesting Bill would toy with the easily triggered like a puppet master? :naughty: :mrgreen:
    Slapshot1188Robsolfalkarionlog
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• ForgefeuForgefeu Member UncommonPosts: 115
    That saying a lot about current MMORPG states. By all standard of gaming this game is obviously bad but still the most fun mmorpg lite experience to be had. Sad year to come
  • sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132
    Doesnt matter if this game can host 2 people or 200.
    In current beta state the game is riddled with bugs, bland gameplay , lack of challenge and meaninful npc.
    Till today modders saved all Fallout games .  You will be heavily disappointed 76 does not have mod support due to online element.

maskedweasel
  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,762
    I have been considering replaying the Fallout games and when I had a look at the mods and the number of modding videos it is extremely obvious why this franchise did so well. It's the modders and 76 will not have that. It will be fraction of what a modded game would be like and it will show its flaws very quickly and the fact that there will be no modders to help this game will ultimately drive away the fans.
    Asm0deus

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 10,577
    sassoonss said:
    Doesnt matter if this game can host 2 people or 200.
    In current beta state the game is riddled with bugs, bland gameplay , lack of challenge and meaninful npc.
    Till today modders saved all Fallout games .  You will be heavily disappointed 76 does not have mod support due to online element.

You've obviously been playing a different version of FO76 than me, because it isn't riddled with bugs, and the gameplay isn't bland... and as for challenge LOL it's way more challenging than most games I've played on the market lately. 

The challenge has to do with the leveling disparities as you progress through areas, as well as enemies that people may not be familiar with.   I'm around level 20 now, and I was traveling through an area with level 16 mobs.. but barring my way across a gorge that I needed to get through was a Snallygaster, level 30, hidden within other roving enemies that I was slowing wading through.  As a long range sniper, going slow and taking out enemies would generally feel less challenging,  but if you've never fought a Snallygaster, you're in for a surprise.  

They do these things often, where you have tough enemies in their own right, but then they pump the difficulty by throwing in high level enemies in with the low.  I've also had puzzle missions where I've been required to find things by actually reading text,  or I've had to complete objectives in time frames that required near perfect execution to achieve.  Things you rarely if ever see in online games. 

People can say what they will about FO76, apart from the bugs on the PC version, which are valid criticism, most of the hostility towards the game seems to be that people dislike change, and plan to resist it.  

Through and through FO76 is a fallout game in every facet.  I'm excited to be able to finally get in for good this week.

• Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 542
    You forgot to add the "sponsored" tag because it's obvious you're lying through your teeth.

But of course, i forget, gaming journalism here doesn't do that, isn't that right?
    maskedweasel
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Which one is it? Click bait, trolling readers, or sponsored?

I wouldn't say that was genuine out loud, even if it was.  :D
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    MMO = Mixed Martial Orts

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,537
    Bill Murphy - Fallout 76 May Be the Sandbox MMO We've I've Been Waiting For - MMORPG.com

Fixed it for Bill. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,729
    Ratero said:
    @Gruug I don't mean to quibble but could you please state where you saw that about the stash size?  All I've seen so far is that the 400 pound stash size is intentional.  I've been searching the past few days on this subject and only found where other people are having stash size issues and they want more capacity but nothing solid from the Dev's.  I really would like to read this if you found a source.  Thanks in advance.
    It was mentioned by the lead dev in one of their interviews a short while ago. It was also just mentioned in the up coming day one release patch notes. However, it does not say it will actually be IN that patch nor does it say the amount to which the stash will be expanded. The way I read the notes was more along the lines that the bump up in stash size will not be what we (or I) was led to believe previously.

**(Sorry, didn't see your reply and hence why this response was late.)

Torval

Let's party like it is 1863!

• OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 2,186
    Call of duty Black Ops 4 holds 80 players per server. Call of Duty is more of an mmo than Fallout76. rofl
    NildenMadFrenchie

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,597
    Everything I've seen and heard about it seems to indicate that without actively seeking out other players, it's largely empty and bug ridden.  So I guess it may emulate a sandbox in the vein of launch day SWG, in those respects.  But with fewer players per server.

15 years of progress, and that's where we are.
  • BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Why don't we just call this game what it is? ….. Lazy

OG_Zorvan
    Robsolf said:
    Everything I've seen and heard about it seems to indicate that without actively seeking out other players, it's largely empty and bug ridden.  So I guess it may emulate a sandbox in the vein of launch day SWG, in those respects.  But with fewer players per server.

That's way wrong. There are events that run where players congregate, and you can run into players anywhere, but they are shown on the map so you can avoid them if you want, or meet up with them.

Thus far, in almost every case, when I happened upon another person, they wanted to group up, unless they wanted to kill me.  Luckily I never fired back at anyone who attacked me, so I didn't chance losing any of my many, many crafting items. 

Nyctelios

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,793
    Robsolf said:

That's way wrong. There are events that run where players congregate, and you can run into players anywhere, but they are shown on the map so you can avoid them if you want, or meet up with them.

Thus far, in almost every case, when I happened upon another person, they wanted to group up, unless they wanted to kill me.  Luckily I never fired back at anyone who attacked me, so I didn't chance losing any of my many, many crafting items. 

Always storage your junk and never fire back. That's my moto, yeah I'm a coward but one alive coward.
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

Current playing: 
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Shadowbringers; EvE Online

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
    Nyctelios said:
    Robsolf said:

Always storage your junk and never fire back. That's my moto, yeah I'm a coward but one alive coward.
    haha it's a good plan. I wish it was easier to to find places to store junk. I end up walking around overweight for hours.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    I can def see that wandering the wastes alone will become a fairly boring way to spend your time in Appalachia.

The questing is pretty standard fair, but the world does seem very isolated and lonely due to no NPCs that aren't hostile.

That being said, I can see this game (especially at end-game) being an absolute blast/riot when playing with a group of friends.

Certainly some similarities there to early MMO design.
    Torval
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,540
    Asch126 said:
    You forgot to add the "sponsored" tag because it's obvious you're lying through your teeth.

But of course, i forget, gaming journalism here doesn't do that, isn't that right?
    They are usually extremely blatant with their sponsored tags when they are sponsored. 

This seems more like a "Lets say something and stir everything up to get more interaction". 

I will probably try the game but I don't agree that it's a sandbox that I've been looking for. 
    BadSpock said:
    I can def see that wandering the wastes alone will become a fairly boring way to spend your time in Appalachia.

The questing is pretty standard fair, but the world does seem very isolated and lonely due to no NPCs that aren't hostile.

That being said, I can see this game (especially at end-game) being an absolute blast/riot when playing with a group of friends.

Certainly some similarities there to early MMO design.
    There are NPCs that aren't hostile. 
    Nyctelios

• samooryesordsamooryesord Member UncommonPosts: 72
    edited November 2018
    I won't write off this game because its only 24 players per world or whatever. I'll write it off because its a terrible game which has no point and no reason to exist.
    deniterRawiz