Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard going mobile... and perhaps, an untapped potential

GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,593
No, no, don't get me wrong, I'm not going to praise Blizzard's decision to release a Diablo version for mobiles. After the initial "shock" (I'm not a Diablo player myself, but I can sympathize), I started thinking that maybe - and that's a big MAYBE - this move by Blizzard can lead to a positive side-effect.

If Blizzard sees the future of its revenues in mobile gaming, that could be a chance to start treating its other games differently - being willing to take more commercial risk and thus make more daring decisions in terms of gameplay.

Retail WoW was watered-down over the years in an attempt to please everybody fast to keep subscriptions coming (despite this having the opposite effect, apparently). Securing other sources of (main) revenue might be the catalyst for a turn to more challenging gameplay design - much like the gameplay found in Vanilla WoW, where effort was rewarded and nothing was free.

It might all be wishful thinking on my part, but it's not entirely impossible either.

Comments

• GutlardGutlard Member UncommonPosts: 440
    From a business standpoint, I can understand a Dev wanting to get in on the market that's spending is more than Console & PC Combined. If they can do that without hurting their other IP's more power to them.

I consider mobile gaming shallow, quick experiences that don't offer me anything long term, and the amount of crap you have to dig through to find the good is probably also more than Console & PC combined.

If they can find ways to create mobile add-ons that help enhance their core IP's on PC/Console that would be best.

Hey Blizz, can you make a mobile game that's core gameplay loop is to help grind my crafting for all my WoW toons? Fun little mini-games where leveling up in my mobile game actually increases my crafting levels in the main game. Just a thought....if people are interested and want to level/grind boring crafting that new more entertaining way then they can. If people aren't interested then they can just do it the normal way in the main game.

They can do that with lots of aspects of all their games if they can figure it out. Their WoW pet battle mechanic is just begging for a mobile iteration, and could you imagine all the fun things they can do with all the hundreds of Pets in the game?! Even if they just rip off Pokemon it could be another entertaining way to level up our Pets.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 7,384
    I thinks it's dangerously naive to think that a company would pull the money out of one market to put it into a less profitable market.

I would more expect Blizzard to contribute more resources to mobile gaming if their first forays prove hugely successful.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 9,485
    Galadourn said:

If Blizzard sees the future of its revenues in mobile gaming, that could be a chance to start treating its other games differently - being willing to take more commercial risk and thus make more daring decisions in terms of gameplay.

Retail WoW was watered-down over the years in an attempt to please everybody fast to keep subscriptions coming (despite this having the opposite effect, apparently). Securing other sources of (main) revenue might be the catalyst for a turn to more challenging gameplay design - much like the gameplay found in Vanilla WoW, where effort was rewarded and nothing was free.

It might all be wishful thinking on my part, but it's not entirely impossible either.
    I think it is wishful thinking on your part. We have seen this already with other companies who find more success in mobile and then Kill/Abandon their PC(or Console) counterpart.

There is something to take into account here. Mobile game sales are not profitable. All the money companies make from mobile is microtransactions only. And they still have the guts to put those sales side by side with PC/console game sales to show how mobile makes more money. It is stupid, but these companies still hop on that bandwagon.

IMO if Blizz turns mobile for good, we can kiss goodbye to the platforms that put them where they are today. They probably wont kill any of the current PC/console games that still make money, but they will ruin them with a huge MTX influx instead of consistent content updates.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 5,387
    Blizzard are not a company they are a business unit of Activision Blizzard. It is the board of Activision Blizzard - on which Blizzard bods will sit - that decides the strategy of the company.

Blizzard's own forays into mobile - when they were still part of Vivendi - were not overly successful. Which may be why AB now have a business unit called King. Which they paid several billion dollars for. Candy Crush ring any bells?

• newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 76
    We all have phones.