Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo Immortal

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,132
    SBFord said:
    I'm about as disappointed as can be imagined, both in the Diablo Immortal announcement and in BlizzCon overall. I'm sure there's much more that we don't know, but this whole thing could have been handled better.

Just look at what Bethesda did with revealing games that are years down the road. Just a flyby, "Hey look what we're working on" without any details, but fans are satisfied.

Blizz could learn something from that and understand that this isn't the early 2000s any more. They simply don't have that luxury.
    That's actually a good comparison. One of the Bethesda reveals at Quakecon this year, Elder Scrolls Blades, was actually something very similar to the Diablo Immortal reveal but they did two things that Blizz didn't do:

1. It's not mobile exclusive but multi-platform instead. Despite being definitely mobile in spirit, it is playable on all consoles and PC with crossplay. Not only is that more inclusive of their current fan base it makes much more business sense than mobile only.
    2. It was not their main announcement, FO76 was, and as you say Suzie, they also gave sneak peeks of the other bigger PC/console games they're working on.
    NycteliosTorvalSBFordConstantineMerusCazrielblueturtle13MrMelGibson
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 2,912
    SBFord said:
    I'm about as disappointed as can be imagined, both in the Diablo Immortal announcement and in BlizzCon overall. I'm sure there's much more that we don't know, but this whole thing could have been handled better.

Just look at what Bethesda did with revealing games that are years down the road. Just a flyby, "Hey look what we're working on" without any details, but fans are satisfied.

Blizz could learn something from that and understand that this isn't the early 2000s any more. They simply don't have that luxury.
    You put this much more elegantly than me. From my point of view they are pissing on their customers and telling them it's raining fun. A mobile Diablo version that was outsourced to a third party... hahaha WTF.

Totally not an out of season April fools joke...

This makes Fallout 76 look like an actual attempt at a game. LOL
    SBFordConstantineMerusNycteliosCazrielMrMelGibson

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

• lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,929
    So, more like Diablo Immoral.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ConstantineMerusIselinNycteliosSedrynTyrosNildenTorval
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,447
    edited November 2018
    By next year though people will have forgotten and bought their Blizzcon tickets. (If they don't Blizz will have to produce some crocodile tears.)
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member RarePosts: 3,307
    I call bullshit. 

The user base that took Blizzard to the mega corp it is are not people who would get hype about a mobile re-skin of an older version. There are no "mobile gamers" there is only a mobile user base. If Blizzard desired to fleece the mobile user base,they could have done it without the dramatics that target their die-hards.

They thought the base wanted this. They invested in the reveal. They were confident. They were wrong.

People being consumer drones has nothing to do with it. Sure it will likely do well on sales day because compulsive mobile purchase people and FOMO (fear of missing out), but they have a 1:32 ratio of positive to negative sentiment. Blizzard got their ass kicked on this in plain view, and the fans don't forget.

So here's to hoping the uptick in revenue was worth the marketing diarrhea they now have in the bed

Do remember EA/Bioware/Mass Effect debacles...
    This post perfectly illustrates the disconnect this board has with reality.

There are mobile gamers, just because you dont know any doesnt mean they dont  exist.

If they didnt exist then Black Desert Mobile wouldnt be making 3x more money than the PC version.

Or NCsoft's mobile games making almost 2x more than all of their PC MMOs combined.

In Activision Blizzard's reports you can see that King(Candy Crush) makes more than Blizzard at a fraction of the production costs.

Also, you call ME Andromeda a debacle and it did perform under expectations but it did sell millions of copies and was a financial success.

Developers persue the mobile market because thats where the money is.
    klash2defkillerqueer
  • CazrielCazriel Member UncommonPosts: 419
    Of course mobile gamers exists.  The market is huge.  Nobody is saying their isn't a market for mobile gaming. 

Everybody's saying, where's our  next PC game for Diablo?  Because PC gamers and mobile gamers are not necessarily the same.  How hard is this understand? 
  • ZhenoxZhenox Member UncommonPosts: 59
    edited November 2018
    Diablo "Immoral" at last my dream came true, ACTIBLIZZARD delivers me a fully fledged shitting experience. Boy, oh boy, i hope my hairy sack is not gonna be swimming in that shitty water while i take that long majestic fully fledged experience. 

I'm so hyped, i'm not even buying FUCKING VANILLA SUBSCRIPTION because of this. 
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,590
    I think I'd rather play Pokemon Go
    YashaX

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,200
    Xiaoki said:
    I call bullshit. 

The user base that took Blizzard to the mega corp it is are not people who would get hype about a mobile re-skin of an older version. There are no "mobile gamers" there is only a mobile user base. If Blizzard desired to fleece the mobile user base,they could have done it without the dramatics that target their die-hards.

They thought the base wanted this. They invested in the reveal. They were confident. They were wrong.

People being consumer drones has nothing to do with it. Sure it will likely do well on sales day because compulsive mobile purchase people and FOMO (fear of missing out), but they have a 1:32 ratio of positive to negative sentiment. Blizzard got their ass kicked on this in plain view, and the fans don't forget.

So here's to hoping the uptick in revenue was worth the marketing diarrhea they now have in the bed

There are mobile gamers, just because you dont know any doesnt mean they dont  exist.

If they didnt exist then Black Desert Mobile wouldnt be making 3x more money than the PC version.

Or NCsoft's mobile games making almost 2x more than all of their PC MMOs combined.

In Activision Blizzard's reports you can see that King(Candy Crush) makes more than Blizzard at a fraction of the production costs.

Also, you call ME Andromeda a debacle and it did perform under expectations but it did sell millions of copies and was a financial success.

The disconnect is on your end.  It’s like McDonalds making an announcement at the cattle convention for their new veggie burger. And telling attendees “You eat veggies right?”

YashaXCazrielNycteliosMrMelGibson

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126

Today, Polygon spoke with Allen Adham, executive producer and Blizzard co-founder, and Dan Eggren, production director, about the response to Diablo: Immortal. The pair repeatedly stressed that Immortal is just one of the Diablo games currently in development at Blizzard and they hoped that fans will remain patient for future announcements.

“We have said that we have multiple Diablo teams working on multiple Diablo projects and that remains true, even after releasing [Diablo 3 for Nintendo] Switch and announcing Diablo: Immortal,” Adham said. “We still have multiple Diablo teams working on multiple unannounced Diablo projects. Diablo is a tentpole franchise for us. And it always will be. We love it. We hope our fans understand what we’re saying when we say that.”

“The world is evolving both geographically and demographically,” he said. “Younger folks now, many of them, mobile is their primary gaming device. And then around the world in many regions it’s their primary gaming device, and so it’s always been our aspiration [to bring games to them].

https://www.polygon.com/blizzcon/2018/11/3/18059222/diablo-immortal-blizzard-response-blizzcon

bartoni33MadFrenchieMisterZebubMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros Member EpicPosts: 2,924
    SBFord said:

Today, Polygon spoke with Allen Adham, executive producer and Blizzard co-founder, and Dan Eggren, production director, about the response to Diablo: Immortal. The pair repeatedly stressed that Immortal is just one of the Diablo games currently in development at Blizzard and they hoped that fans will remain patient for future announcements.

“We have said that we have multiple Diablo teams working on multiple Diablo projects and that remains true, even after releasing [Diablo 3 for Nintendo] Switch and announcing Diablo: Immortal,” Adham said. “We still have multiple Diablo teams working on multiple unannounced Diablo projects. Diablo is a tentpole franchise for us. And it always will be. We love it. We hope our fans understand what we’re saying when we say that.”

“The world is evolving both geographically and demographically,” he said. “Younger folks now, many of them, mobile is their primary gaming device. And then around the world in many regions it’s their primary gaming device, and so it’s always been our aspiration [to bring games to them].

https://www.polygon.com/blizzcon/2018/11/3/18059222/diablo-immortal-blizzard-response-blizzcon

They're not wrong about the mobile market.  Where they're wrong was thinking it was a good idea to announce it at Blizzcon (which I'm sure they now realize was a big mistake).
    SBFordlahnmirSlapshot1188MisterZebubMadFrenchieCazrielFlyByKnightlaseritNycteliosMrMelGibson
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited November 2018
    Xiaoki said:
    I call bullshit. 

Disconnect from reality? Really? I think you missed the point. The point is perception of the market. Companies don't view the mobile user market as "mobile gamers". That's not to say that millions and millions of people don't play games on their smartphones but natural FACT that can be researched is, as it pertains to smartphones, gaming is a secondary or tertiary function. That's like calling everyone with a smartphone a "photographer" because there's a great camera functionality on them and people take pictures.

OF COURSE there's money to be made but when your primary base comes from mediums that are singularly based in gaming, do you sacrifice, leverage, or gamble that in favor of general mobile market without being 100% sure your base is there for support? NO you don't, or you end up with a 1:32 positive to negative ratio on your game reveals.

This is what happens. Is that revenue spike worth the EA/Bioware stigma? 
    MadFrenchieNyctelios
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • MisterZebubMisterZebub Member LegendaryPosts: 3,584
    SBFord said:

Again I agree it would be very foolish for Blizzard not to try to tap into the mobile gaming market. The fact a Diablo mobile game happens to exist does not make me angry. Their complete obliviousness over the reason for the bad reaction to the news about Diablo Mobile however makes me want to punch a few faces.

The problem these dingbats seem to be ignoring is that announcing a half-assed not even made by Blizzard Diablo mobile game at their premiere expo, that fans have bloody payed through the nose to attend, without throwing their PC playing fans a bone about a non mobile Diablo title was like waving a red flag at a bull. It was a serious bone head play, doubly so if indeed a PC Diablo project actually is in the works as they seem to be hinting. Personally I'm hoping whatever public relations shithead that had this little brainstorm is going to soon be seeing the inside of an unemployment office ... well that or the inside of a pack of rabid wolves. Either suits me.

Get your shit together Blizz.
    SedrynTyros

"You have kept me at your beck and call for fifteen years. I shall never again do what you demand of me. By every rule of single combat, from this moment your life belongs to me. Is that not correct? Then I shall simply declare you dead. In all of your dealings with me, you'll do me the courtesy to conduct yourself as a dead man. I have submitted to your notions of honor long enough. You will now submit to mine."

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
    Yep, @SedrynTyros I think they should go after mobile, but not at the expense of making their other customers happy too. I'm sure there's lots more coming, but it would have been nice to have been teased. I would have been mollified. 
    CazrielSedrynTyrosblueturtle13Nyctelios

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,200
    Yes a PC Diablo project is in the works.  It probably started last night.  
    YashaXAoriSBFordSwampySackblueturtle13mklinicTorvalGremeFlyByKnightPemminand 3 others.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• AoriAori Member EpicPosts: 4,167
    I'm not upset that they are releasing a Diablo mobile game. Honestly I thought Diablo 3 would fit well on the mobile platform, hell a good chunk of the ARPGs on mobile are modeled after D3.

I'm more upset that they announced it at Blizzcon, where the most hardcore of fans who pushed Blizzard to the top gather. To those like myself who've been craving Diablo information this is an enormous let down. They should have teased at the least something more substantial, D2 remaster or D4, it would have been enough to calm most flames.

I have no idea what Blizzard was thinking with this plan, it really feels like a slap to the face of the loyal fans over the years who have been patiently waiting. Yes, I think the Diablo fans are among some of the most patient there is.

Either way, I'll try the game, out of curiosity. 

Side note, I really do feel for Wyatt Cheng, that poor man was sent up to die. He helped make something he was told to make. Blizzard said give us a mobile game and he assumingly did his best and was proud trying to give something worthwhile. He has been with the company for some time and I have never seen a developer appear so defeated.
    MisterZebubMrMelGibson
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,569
    edited November 2018
    I will never understand why people get so upset because their favorite game company made something that's not for them. Its the same thing to me as getting upset because Marvel is making toys aimed at 10 year olds instead of a film. 

It not like Blizzard is never going to make another Diablo, and even if they didn't, you can still play the other Diablo games or products by blizzard. Hell there are thousands of games to play not named Diablo. 

I find it hard to be upset because some new thing isn't made with me in mind. I'm not even trying to defend blizzard, I personally dont care for diablo that much but its just nuts seeing people get so upset over this new game because they feel like it wasn't for them. I really dislike gamer entitlement, and the sooner we move past it the better quality content we will get. Devs already have enough pressure as is. Some reactions are just not necessary. 

Btw there is a huge market for Mobile gaming so Blizzard did nothing wrong b trying to throw a real contender in that market. Even Bethesda has a big Mobile game coming. Mobile is part of the future of gaming. 
    "PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

Currently: Games Audio Engineer
    You've heard what I've heard

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,415
    Nice way to piss off nearly all Diablo fans, lol.
    ConstantineMerus
    lots of people think they are sticking it to the "man" by holding Blizzard "Accountable" for not making a new thing for them. It sounds so silly. They are eventually going get to a PC Diablo.

Just relax. 
    "PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,132
    The part I'm still having a hard time understanding is why mobile exclusive? I mean... when Bethesda revealed their very similar project, Elder Scrolls Blades, they made it mobile but also consoles and PC - even VR with Xplay on all of them.  It's obviously also primarily a mobile game and Tod Howard even went to the Apple yearly event to promote it there once again.

Why ignore your traditional platforms when it would be so bloody easy to release it also for PC and consoles. Not to mention you're releasing it to a much bigger market that way? The reaction at Blizzcon might still not have been all that great due to lack of other big announcements but it wouldn't have been nearly as bad if they hade made the extra effort.

That mobile-only decision is a real head scratcher. Just how hard would it really be to also release it for PC and consoles?
    blueturtle13SBFordYashaXTorvallaseritNycteliosMrMelGibson
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,447
    SBFord said:

<snip>The pair repeatedly stressed that Immortal is just one of the Diablo games currently in development at Blizzard and they hoped that fans will remain patient for future announcements.

“We have said that we have multiple Diablo teams working on multiple Diablo projects and that remains true, even after releasing [Diablo 3 for Nintendo] Switch and announcing Diablo: Immortal,” Adham said. “We still have multiple Diablo teams working on multiple unannounced Diablo projects. <snip>

They just decided not to mention this at Blizzcon. Whoops!

Now maybe they just forgot or - more likely - these "other developments" are not that far advanced and they decided they didn't want to mislead attendees. Arguably though they had already misled folks by teasing a "big announcement". And whilst D:I can be considered a big announcement it seems it wasn't that big a deal for attendees.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    edited November 2018
    What will be interesting to watch is the potential effect on the direct competitors of the Diablo IP.
    Right now it seems that Blizzard has completely abandoned the ARPGs for an unknown amount of years.

(Quoting ME Andromeda as a money maker is misleading. Yes id did make money, but it did so by riding the fame of the already established IP, which ultimately killed)
  • VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632
    klash2def said:
    I will never understand why people get so upset because their favorite game company made something that's not for them. Its the same thing to me as getting upset because Marvel is making toys aimed at 10 year olds instead of a film. 

It not like Blizzard is never going to make another Diablo, and even if they didn't, you can still play the other Diablo games or products by blizzard. Hell there are thousands of games to play not named Diablo. 

I find it hard to be upset because some new thing isn't made with me in mind. I'm not even trying to defend blizzard, I personally dont care for diablo that much but its just nuts seeing people get so upset over this new game because they feel like it wasn't for them. I really dislike gamer entitlement, and the sooner we move past it the better quality content we will get. Devs already have enough pressure as is. Some reactions are just not necessary. 

Btw there is a huge market for Mobile gaming so Blizzard did nothing wrong b trying to throw a real contender in that market. Even Bethesda has a big Mobile game coming. Mobile is part of the future of gaming. 

Nah, it's kindof in the same vein as say, Tool finally releasing their new album after SO dang long, only to discover that it's country music.  
    CazrielNycteliosMrMelGibson
    Vhayne said:
    klash2def said:

Nah, it's kindof in the same vein as say, Tool finally releasing their new album after SO dang long, only to discover that it's country music.  
    but its TOOL doing country, not garth brooks. Also TOOL doing country or an album doesn't mean they are never going to get back to their classic sound.

• CazrielCazriel Member UncommonPosts: 419
    klash2def said:
    Vhayne said:
    klash2def said:

but its TOOL doing country, not garth brooks. Also TOOL doing country or an album doesn't mean they are never going to get back to their classic sound.

Quoting another poster, It's like unveiling a Vespa at a Harley-Davidson convention.

So people who go to a Harley-Davidson convention shouldn't be annoyed when the Big Announcement turns out to be a scooter?
    ConstantineMerusMadFrenchieYashaXSlapshot1188NycteliosMrMelGibson