Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Happy Halloween from the Ship of Heroes Team - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageHappy Halloween from the Ship of Heroes Team - MMORPG.com

It IS Halloween and no game is immune from a themed event! The Ship of Heroes team wants its fans to know that Halloween has a special spot in the game. To show some of what the devs have planned, a new video has been sent out with a description of what players can look forward to once the game debuts!

Read the full story here

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Nice work! This game is going to be epic fun.
    GladDog

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Wouldn't it be better if ship of heroes and its clones also in production pool their collective resources and build something much better?

Don't get me wrong i like the look of the gameplay n all but it just looks dated and im not talking last gen dated i mean looks like its atleast 10 year old graphically same goes for its clones.

currently it looks worse of than DC universe online (2011 was its release). which is a similar game.

IF they wanna attract players they need something, A WOW factor to grab the younger populace this goes doubly for console players as console fidelity and gameplay are closer to pc than it ever has been.
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    The idea of pooling resources to create just one or two games has been floated and turned down multiple times since 2013. This is what happens when so many people have their own vision of how one properly done spiritual successor should be. You get several projects going and you as a player have to get behind any number of them in order to hopefully play something in the future, even if you don't like any of the options because none of them are your vision of how it "should be done".
    I've already jumped projects twice because of irreconcilable differences and I'm at the point where I just don't care anymore. Either I play something that just isn't my game or I won't play anything at all.
    I don't care for the setting of SoH at all but I respect the hell out of the development team because I believe they are producing the game the right way. That's just my opinion so take it as you like.
    GladDog

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• Golden-AceGolden-Ace Member UncommonPosts: 12
    edited October 2018

Wouldn't it be better if ship of heroes and its clones also in production pool their collective resources and build something much better?

Don't get me wrong i like the look of the gameplay n all but it just looks dated and im not talking last gen dated i mean looks like its atleast 10 year old graphically same goes for its clones.

currently it looks worse of than DC universe online (2011 was its release). which is a similar game.

IF they wanna attract players they need something, A WOW factor to grab the younger populace this goes doubly for console players as console fidelity and gameplay are closer to pc than it ever has been.

it would set both projects back at least a year maybe several. even though they are both superhero games the powers are different, the settings are different, along different models being used. the platforms are also different. these things just don't mix easily. it would be like mixing World of Warcraft with Star Trek online. so like it or not, there will be at least two separate games. this game is moving at a very fast pace, and the dev's are very open about everything including setbacks. they have earned my trust. I am very much looking forward to the paid beta early next year.
    Blaze_RockerGladDog
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    I really think the space ship thing shouldn't be a problem, mostly because that's going to be mostly very much in the background. Just look at the video -- does that give you the sense of being on a spaceship?

Obviously this still has a lot of work to be done. I hope they will tone down and downsize the effects, although I love how different they are for different attacks!

I'm beginning to think the game engine they are using is never going to produce a look I'm really happy with -- in some ways the effects look more realistic (like the fireballs, flames, electric bolts) than on CoH but in some ways that just makes them stand out too much, not fit with the CG surroundings. The (AoE?) target on the ground was kind of neat, but also looked like something out of an ancient video game. Maybe just needs to be tweaked so it's not sharp-edged and obvious.

And I presume that the view will be zoom-able; if I had to play so far back from my character I might as well play an isometric game. I need tight over-the-shoulder view, preferably with a first-person zoom-in option, to get the feeling of immersion I'm looking for. I think whoever made the video just has a different preference or wanted to be sure to catch all the action.

Also I hope their nighttime will be, uh, nightlier(?) This looked just dim gray all over. Needs more chiaroscuro. Moonlight, street lamps providing more light in some areas, and in some places dark, dark shadowy areas. Stars twinkling in the heavens. Clouds floating over and creating more darkness.

All that said, it looks like something that would be fun to play as it is, especially if it wouldn't be long after logging on that you'd be invited to join a team like that.
    GladDog
  • DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Why would any one of them want to pool with the cesspool Valiance Online? Dead weight. City of Titans and Ship of Heroes will probably be fine as separate projects. Valiance Online is the title hurting the most with a need to latch onto to an actual game instead of a working on their vaporware project.
    Blaze_Rocker
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Definitely hitting that nostalgia button there with the ToT'ing at the doors lol
    DavodtheTuttGladDog

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    DabOnThem said:
    Why would any one of them want to pool with the cesspool Valiance Online? Dead weight. City of Titans and Ship of Heroes will probably be fine as separate projects. Valiance Online is the title hurting the most with a need to latch onto to an actual game instead of a working on their vaporware project.
    For that matter why do you think City of Titans is more than vaporware? Have they shown anything close to characters moving around in a city? All I've seen is talk about their plans for storylines and such, pictures of a few characters who all look quite a lot alike actually, and all static or maybe showing some limited movement. On YouTube I found a Valiance gameplay video posted in May of this year. Over a year ago, this video: compared all 3 but didn't pick a favorite. It has some video of featureless characters fighting in what's supposedly City of Titans, but I haven't seen anything like that on the City of Titans website. I do hope they are coming along something like SoH here is, but if they are, they're doing a lousy job of letting people know.
    Blaze_RockerKwestorek1GladDog
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited November 2018

Valiance is using the Unity engine, CoT and SoH are using UE4. Nothing would share between VO and SoH & CoT. H&V is using Hero Engine 2 - nothing shares there either. So the only projects that could share anything are SoH and CoT. And quite honestly, SoH is far in the lead as far as having a playable game. It would likely take a LOOOOOOOOONG time to parse the CoT assets into SoH. Even longer to go the other way. Right now it would delay getting a playable game in our hands for at least a year to combine these two. Not worth it IMO. I missed a few things in your post. I really don't get what you are saying about 'dated' graphics. These images look pretty darn good IMO. You cannot compare a game like this to an FPS like DOOM 2016. The devs for that game can be as sloppy as they want with code, since it does not have 75-100 players on the screen at the same time. Instead, compare it to Black Desert Online. Or Bless Online. Those are games using UE3 - BDO is getting updated to UE4. And SoH looks FAR better than DCUO (UE3), a game I have played about 2.5 years total. The artists and programmers for this game are continually working on improving the look and feel of this game. It will look and feel a whole lot differently at Q4 2019 or Q1 2020, when it will most likely be released. SoH is not aimed at players that need a WOW factor to stay interested. Will there be WOW moments in this game? I believe so. But, they are looking at former CoH players as the main constituents of their player base. Then they are looking at old school type MMORPG players to fill that base out.
    Post edited by GladDog on

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Sorry about the big block of text, the editor did it and won't let me fix it.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!