Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Analyze data

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited October 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Theirs a lot to take into account with the transition stage from first generation to second: 
-internet was getting stronger 
-computers for home use were getting stronger  
-people were buying more computers for home use 
-peoples lifestyle began to change because of computers 
-developers tools were getting stronger
-Advertisement got much stronger 
-Companies over hype numbers to a large degree 
-People themselves overhype numbers and cause false roomers.  

First you had to be an avid video gamer to know the word "EverQuest" and even then maybe not. Where World of Warcraft was advertised on TV.  Because of good advertisement people purchased computers just to play the advertised game called World of Warcraft !...… Often it didn't matter if the game was good or not, it was advertised !  

From second generation to what we have now, the equation became even more impossible: 
-everyone has a computer and more powerful ones 
-more recent people switched to smart phones, now computers are less accessible 
-free-to-play, people will play for this alone, FREE 
-mmorpgs are now just video games, introduces a new style of player

It's actually impossible to calculate the equation of populations, too many variables.  Data it self can not be gathered. 

Important: 
Powerful tools and Super Computers are now at the forefront.  Human strategies and education is stronger than ever for analyst. Yet figures still need to be pressed in manually.  

Populations, cost and profit is proprietary and kept secret from one company to another.  Companies go to great length to protect information. 

One source of information gathering could differ greatly from another, 
-Who's do you use ? 
-What were their parameters ? 
-What information did they focus on and what else have they minimized ? 

Human factor.... priorities change in peoples behavior.  People can go from video games to social media to nothing tech related at all in the matter of just a few short months, then back again. 

What it truly comes down to is one BIG-FAT-GUESS !!! 
The same guess that an individual not involved with processing information could analyze and hit the same mark, simply by closing ones eyes and taking a stab at it.   

When people say prove it...... I say you prove it.  
When people say look at this chart.... I say I don't like your chart ! 
When people say polls were conducted... I say who voted ? 
When someone states they have the answer.... I say from only one source….I say  how much is his/her own opinion ?  

This doesn't have to be an argument... You can give your opinion... This is not a revelation it's a message board.
mmolou

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited October 2018
    Years ago I purchased a Washing Machine that was heavily advertised on TV.  Because it was advertised it was hard to get... Manufacturing was barely producing this new product. 

It was "self proclaimed great" by the company.  

Later, it was found this Washing machine had major malfunctions with its mother board and repair was on a waiting list because of it.  

Consumer reports: 
    Rated poor 

Sorry too late, the company accomplished their mission millions sold.

It was hyped before "release" of the product.  
    mmolou
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Years ago I purchased a Washing Machine that was heavily advertised on TV.  Because it was advertised it was hard to get... Manufacturing was barely producing this new product. 

Later, it was found this Washing machine had major malfunctions with its mother board and repair was on a waiting list because of it.  

Me personally... It really did not wash very good.   

You don't know the difference between data analysis and personal opinions.
    mmolou[Deleted User]Amathe

Vrika said:

Me personally... It really did not wash very good.   

You don't know the difference between data analysis and personal opinions.
    Good point, 
    How much personal opinion is keyed into the data analysis.  
    Sit back and thank about this :)
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I can't make any sense out of the original post. 
    mmolouRidelynnMendelKyleranWarEnsemble

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Advertising doesn't always work. It works if it's what people want. Data analysis is a real thing, and companies follow analysis specifically because it works. If you want to make a passion project, you make a passion project and don't follow what trends are currently happening. But you can't whine when 10 million people buy the new Call of Duty because of advertising, when in reality it's because there were that many people wanting to play specifically what that game offered whether or not you like it.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Well he went round the houses, but Delete seems to be telling us to do our research on new products, always good advice.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Amathe said:
    I can't make any sense out of the original post. 
    I can make it short for you:
    "I, delete, am more reliable than statistics based on hard numbers coming from a large pool of samples".
    His argument (using the term loosely here) is because there is data which we don't have access to, there is no way to predict future consumer behavior with any reliability. 

He is ignoring the fact we have many terabytes of data regarding what players have bought in the past along with what they are buying today.

This gives sellers a reasonably good model to base business decisions on what to produce and market. 

True, the many variables and unknowns often make this an art form but big data, predictive analysis and other new technologies are interjecting more "science" into the decision process every day.

Is it perfect, of course not, but it isn't anywhere as random and impossible as the OP tries to make it.

Or I could be completely wrong about what point he was trying to make, certainly wouldn't be the first time. 

:D

mmolou[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

DMKano said:
    My favorite part is this:

"When people say prove it...... I say you prove it.  
    When people say look at this chart.... I say I don't like your chart ! 
    When people say polls were conducted... I say who voted ? 
    When someone states they have the answer.... I say from only one source….I say  how much is his/her own opinion ? "

Could be lyrics to a future Eminem hit

Honesty.....This IS GREAT !!!  

Thanks DMKano, 
    Shows you can think on your feet :D
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited October 2018
    Scot said:
    Well he went round the houses, but Delete seems to be telling us to do our research on new products, always good advice.

"To suffer and burn until the end of time...  But he loves you.  He loves you, and he needs money!"

RIP George, one of the best stand up comedians the world has ever seen.  How a guy stays so essentially relevant for as long as George did is truly remarkable.
    delete5230Scot