Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was the name of this long-ago cancelled MMO?

BazharkhanBazharkhan Member UncommonPosts: 31
For a short time about 8-10 years ago I played a very crafting/gathering-heavy fantasy MMO where everything was pretty much player-made; players and guilds could effectively 'own' mines that no one else could access, you could chop down trees, make your own weapons and armor (that degraded with use, forcing you to make new ones pretty often) and had a relatively brutal gear curve where you constantly had to gather/farm to get the next level of metal, wood, leather, cloth, etc. Not remembering its name is killing me; the only other thing I can really remember about it was that it was open world and there was one part with a ruined castle containing skeletons you had to fight, and that at some point you could get crafting patterns for things like boats and houses.

Answers

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2018
    Isometric? 3rd person?
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    sounds like Darkfall
    marcustbartoni33
  • marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495
    Agree and DFO was cancelled but we now have Darkfall New Dawn.

https://darkfallnewdawn.com/

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• bosmer24bosmer24 Member UncommonPosts: 116
    It may not be the one you are refering to,but Istaria is fantasy & crafting heavy.
  • GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644
    i would say Shadowbane ? from your description it sounds like shadowbane to me
  • BazharkhanBazharkhan Member UncommonPosts: 31
    So I was browsing around today and finally found it; Dawntide, the overly-ambitious game that wasn't. Thanks for the help trying to figure it out though, everyone.
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    So I was browsing around today and finally found it; Dawntide, the overly-ambitious game that wasn't. Thanks for the help trying to figure it out though, everyone.
    Thanks! I was wondering what the game was. It sounded interesting ;)

Also, the thread said "Answered" and I didn't see one specifically :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    This makes me miss Istaria/Horizons. I absolutely loved how crafting levels added to combat stats (i.e. tailoring added to your dexterity). I remember being a like level 5 ranger type guy but lvl 32 tailor, i was a god amongst the level 5 mobs !
    Caffynated
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Ah, I think I played the Alpha/Beta or whatever they called it for that one.

If that's the game I'm thinking of, it was a mess.  Did that game ever get anywhere close to release?  It wasn't barely even playable when I had access and tried it. Rubber-banding and brain-dead enemies that didn't fight back, etc., is what comes to mind, iirc.

I mean, it was as raw a game as I tried, and I've had quite a few pre-release experiences.  I think it was just a one man project, but I could be wrong... been a long time.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Utinni said:
    This makes me miss Istaria/Horizons. I absolutely loved how crafting levels added to combat stats (i.e. tailoring added to your dexterity). I remember being a like level 5 ranger type guy but lvl 32 tailor, i was a god amongst the level 5 mobs !
    That game is still up you know. It has a small but really loyal player base that's older and very welcoming to new players.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    I tested that game. It had an awful lot of potential.

Once upon a time....