Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are all MMORGP's crap ?

ScoliozScolioz Member UncommonPosts: 110
The first MMORPG I ever played was Asheron's Call 1 for about 3 years.  The second I played was World of Warcraft for about 6 months.

Now I can't stand MMORPG's...  They're all shit.  In fact pretty much all video games these days are pure shit. The only thing I play is DOTA2.

You mad?
mmolouPanther2103KyleranInteritusTheScavengerCaffynatedanemoPeskyceratop001dave6660and 1 other.

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    No I'm not mad. I enjoy quite a few MMO's still. If you think they are all crap and enjoy playing Dota 2 then don't play them and play Dota 2. It's not hard. 
    KyleranInteritusQuizzicalCazrielhallucigenocidezigalucardGobstopper3D
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Scolioz said:

Now I can't stand MMORPG's...  They're all shit.  In fact pretty much all video games these days are pure shit. The only thing I play is DOTA2.

You mad?
    I'm pretty sure some people think games like DOTA 2 are "shit." Yet you play it.

No, I don't get mad at "video games." as it's entertainment. I might not like what some studios are doing or agree with how a studio develops its game, but if I'm not interested in a game or set of games I'll just find something else to do. Even if it's playing older games.

It's true that I don't like many things about newer mmorpg's but they do have their pros.

Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. its not here.
    Kyleran
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Shit sells?

No wait... that's SEX sells... Sorry ;)
    ScotSteelhelmiixviiiixGobstopper3D

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited October 2018
    I don't like modern MMOS for reasons.... and I don't play older titles for.. reasons.

Most of my reasons have little to do with games being "crap" and more on my personal preferences which certainly are by no means mainstream.

Games have changed true, as have I so I won't lay all of the blame on devs, though they certainly are responsible for some of the general dissatisfaction some are feeling here these days. 

hallucigenocidekjempff

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ragebulletragebullet Member UncommonPosts: 55
    because they are made to make money not fun. feelsbad
    ScotSteelhelmAlBQuirkykjempffTuor7Hariken
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    For me, the biggest difference between then and now is simply that I no longer have friends who play MMOs, nor am I involved in a guild.

So no real social element, which makes all MMOs pretty much the same to me... online RPGs that are not near as good as offline RPGs.

Fallout76 looks like a shitshow, but if my friends are all playing, could be a lot of fun.

Kind of how things work for me now.

But yeah, playing "modern MMOs" solo isn't very fun for very long for me.
    KyleranScotGeezerGameranemoAlBQuirky
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I'm ass-u-me-ing that it's hard making a game with enough gameplay for people of all levels of engagement to stick around and be profitable.

Cater to the Hardcores and alienate the bigger Casual audience.
    Cater to the Casuals and it makes the Hardcores want to face dive into a dumpster and shout off the rooftops about your garbage game.

How do you do the beginning/middle/end of a game so that there's enough 'stuff' that all groups of people can do for fun to make them stick around and keep throwing money at you?

How do you make/implement choices that are wanted and will improve the gameplay, instead of making abrupt changes that make your playerbase buttclench and complain and leave you scrambling to clean up the mess you didn't have to even create...

Someone figure this out quick!

Gut Out!
    CryomatrixAlBQuirky

What, me worry?

• BukkerzBukkerz Member UncommonPosts: 177
    I really don't think MMO's are even slightly 'crap'. I actually think it is down to technology and expectations just moving with the times and no longer is an online world a real boon or regarded as a staggering achievement. I probably think there is too much choice and way too many opportunities to try out those 'betas ' which always distract from the investment you have in any game.

Probably in terms of a MMORPG in the traditional sense is only really catering for a generation of players that were running PC's in the 90's and early 2000ths .... I have many younger work colleagues who do not play my type of game but are more interested in a Destiny style of franchise who themselves are being diluted by the Fortnight brigade.

I think story and lore is of utmost importance going forward with the MMORPG genre because it is the very best way of making you feel part of something in a world where graphics struggle to suffice. Blizzard are doing a fantastic job of retro fitting lore into WOW, which means for any studio maintaining or making new MMO'S a decent background context is paramount or all you have is a theme-park with dreadful cosmetic options that are totally unsuitable for a linear world immersion .... ie / Black Desert Bunny Girls or Arch-age modern skateboards and Pirate Ship ...total nonsense. 

I think Lord of the Rings (Turbine) MMO would have been fantastic if you had two playable factions and Warhammer Online would have been great given the proper funding and time to actually finish the game. Wildstar was a great MMO but the music score was too frantic and made you feel too hurried and on edge .... along with a stupid June launch .... small things that i think effed it up.

The Secret World was also great in theory. The story telling was great ... but you did not feel you were in a world as such and therefore difficult to appreciate differently from a single player game. The combat is better now but again possibly too late to make the game as relevant as it could have been.

The best MMO combat I think was Age of Conan .... fantastic ...  Tortage and the games beginning was great ... then ... baron and many loading screens = not a world

Always found it weird when the term WOW clone is used .... if one studio had actually cloned WOW'S online world theory there would have actually been competition, but every single triple A title for some reason decided to have a built in Achilles heal. ......every single one ..... 

So .... a new successful MMORPG will have to have everything WOW has ... avoid the sandbox / survival fashion, flash in the pan bllx ..... have a great and deep story .... a great game engine with optimized graphics for mass usage ....

SIMPLE .... 

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I honestly think that current MMO's aren't necessarily crap, they have just not innovated in the past decade and a half. When they came out it was so novel that it was amazing. Now that novelty wore off but there's no innovation. 

That's why I don't really play MMO's. I still play Path of Exile like crazy but that's because they innovate the game greatly every 3 months. (It is a lot easier to innovate than an MMO)

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    I'm willing to bet that if you choose 1 thing you care most about, there will be an MMO that has it...  It's more of a matter of you choosing to not play games that match that feature.  

It's pretty likely that you don't actually like the mechanic you think you do, especially if it's easier to find ways to disqualify the game than it is to play the first few hours of it.

----

IMO I don't think any sane dev would listen to players with that mindset.  Since they're  likely to never actually buy anything, with how easy it's for the player to disqualify anything.
    Kyleran

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited October 2018
    Scolioz said:
    The first MMORPG I ever played was Asheron's Call 1 for about 3 years.  The second I played was World of Warcraft for about 6 months.

You mad?
    Cool story bro, have you have tried them all to justify this thin tread of yours?
    Kyleran
    Why is DOTA2 crap?

in MY opinion ;)

I find it crap I find everything related to that kind of gameplay crap, but as we all says, It's all about opinion, not facts.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited October 2018
    Maurgrim said:
    Why is DOTA2 crap?

in MY opinion ;)

I find it crap I find everything related to that kind of gameplay crap, but as we all says, It's all about opinion, not facts.

Pro tip:  there are many ways for a game to be delivered which make them "crap" but you personally liking them isn't a valid criticism.

Bless might be crap because of poor production standards but if someone doesn't enjoy open world PVP it doesn't make the game crap.

Precision in language is so important for effective communication. 

My job is done here.

B)

[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyGorwe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Maurgrim said:
    Why is DOTA2 crap?

in MY opinion ;)

Pro tip:  there are many ways for a game to be delivered which make them "crap" but you personally liking them isn't a valid criticism.

Bless might be crap because of poor production standards but if someone doesn't enjoy open world PVP it doesn't make the game crap.

Precision in language is so important for effective communication. 

My job is done here.

B)

My post were pointing out that a lot of people always write this game is crap or that game is crap when in reality the game is not crap It's a game you don't like or understand, yes I know the irony of my post.
    KyleranAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • IwayloIwaylo Member UncommonPosts: 174
    What a weird post, ending with you mad. Wut ?  

Anyhow, since i do have MMORPG i currently enjoy and i have decent memories from other MMORPGs that i have stopped for reasons i think there's plenty of good MMORPGs. You just approach them with the wrong mindset and don't let yourself get hooked into them.   
    One very important factor is having a community to play with, clan/guild/friends etc. If you find/have that in a game you will be playing it even if it's complete garbage.  

Dota best moba btw end the arguing.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    MMORPG's were pretty good in their infancy because they were about as good as a developer could develop them,no not Wow,that was when crap began and the genre stood still.

Why are we not getting better mmorpg's now,easy>>>>$$$$

The market is flooded with every wannabe developer throwing all kinds of crap out there.People are spread out too thin across many genres.So the possible profit margin is too risky to invest in a HQ game.
    What we get now instead is extremely fast game builds,so little risk in losing out and huge profits if it sells via deceptive marketing.

The entire scope of gaming is one of boredom,so many crap games,so much boredom that people are just buying anything and everything but nothing sticks around very long.How could they stick around long when they are designed so cheaply.
    Kyleran

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Too much instant gratification. They simply aren't worth investing time in.
    AlBQuirky
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    He takes what I say to a higher level :D
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Mmorpg 's for the most point have become cash grabs and politically correct games. PvP open world games that were the essence of early mmorpg's fell by the way side. PvP hurts peoples feeling nowadays. Too many sensitive Nancy's nowadays and now developers just see dollar signs...

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370

Why are all MMORPGs crap?

Because NCsoft and EA Games shut down all the good ones.

:*

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    edited November 2018
    MMOs are too time consuming. I much prefer going into Overwatch for 3-4 hours and actually be competitive and do "end game" content without having to grind for months prior. This has allowed me to get mid-masters in OW and it makes me feel good. Mid masters is like what ... top 1% of Overwatch players? I think that was the number. Feels good. And I do see how I shit on lower ranked players when I play quick play or custom games. It's not just a number, I'm just really good at it, without having to grind for months. And it's not like my aim is as good as some twitch kid. Just proper decision making idk.

I play games to have fun, I don't seek a second job. Actually, I do have a second job, so my time is severely limited. 

This whole old ... go kill 20 in the next zone and walk back to me is really more of a nuissance to me these days. This is why I still keep Gw2 around because it allows for similar non-serious gameplay as I have legendaries which is BiS gear and regardless how much content they pull, I'm solid. Think it cost me like 100$ in gems over time to acquire everything but yeah, just doing w/e I want nowadays. Chill and relax. 

I really enjoy EVE Online's progression system, always have, as I can "afk progress" if that makes sense and enjoy the game when I come home with my proper abilities. However it has a sub and with my limited time it just doesn't make sense to pay it and with my limited time I can't grind PLEX either. Yeah I've heard about alpha clones. However with an alpha account I can't fly half of my ships <o> 
    AlBQuirky
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited November 2018
    Not only that, but alphas can't access half the skills, and which they do, many of those they can only up to 3 or 4. Plus other limits in trading, etc.
    (but I don't like EVE actually, so let's wait Kyleran's take on it :wink: )

For the Overwatch and GW2, all players have different playstyles, and all of those are fine until they're having fun. And I'm pretty sure your style is shared with quite the majority of players, that's why we see more and more games around that mindset.

Mine is different, while I too have only limited time for playing. I prefer the community, the cooperation over competition (pvp) and I like the story/leveling part of the games. Personally I wouldn't call those other games like GW2 crap (in this I disagree with the title), those are simply games which are not for me. And there's nothing wrong with that, diversity is good. But of course it's easy to say for me, I still have games I love to play and fall back to...

So in that matter I can understand OP's position. If someone has no games left to play since finds all of them in the "not for me" category, it's easy to get angry and calling the whole genre as crap. The problem is, it won't solve anything. Actually, players can do almost nothing to change the course. The best you can do is play the games you like, if you find any - and if not, just move ahead and look around in different places, while hoping for a rebound.
    Kyleran