Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge Devs Delay Relics of Hiram Launch to Ensure Stable Servers

2»

Comments

• lucyluffy101lucyluffy101 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    lol if XL Games cared people would had a sub server by now.
    Xlgames say no subs because they don't trust Trion, also Trion is for sale.  
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,777
    edited October 2018

They don't Trust Trion but they do Trust the money all the greens ther're going to lose if the whales jump ship. Come down to money Trion was in for the money and as well XLgames loved it or they would of pull Arche Age long time ago from Trion.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 5,920

They don't Trust Trion but they do Trust the money all the greens ther're going to lose if the whales jump ship. Come down to money Trion was in for the money and as well XLgames loved it or they would of pull Arche Age long time ago from Trion.
    XL Games don't operate AA in the west; same way that e.g. Blizzard don't operate WoW in China.

There will have been a contract between XL and Trion - presumably involving Trion paying XL Games money based on some assumed metrics (flat fee, variable fee, percentage, a mixture - whatever). Trion will have borne the cost of servers, staff, collecting payments etc.

Assuming Gamigo have taken AA over then the AA's fundamentals - money coming in vs. cost of running the game - must have been sound. (Same for other games that Gamigo have taken over.)

Trion's problem is that they have had "other costs". From what has been reported the cost of paying 175 other people (so maybe $20M) who were doing development, senior management posts etc. Plus probably some other costs. 

Same issue SoE faced basically. Games making money, development teams costing money. Also the reason Gamigo - in their history - say that they stopped developing games in 2013. Development was (is) risky. Develop a Fortnite and you are off to the races, develop a Wild West Online and you could be looking at a financial black hole with no hope of ever seeing a profit. As was the case with Sony and EQN - Sony reported a formal $20M loss on game development (e.g. EQN) just before they sold SoE.

And the question is: how many other companies are staring at a financial black hole?

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    edited October 2018
    Sovrath said:
    bennylong said:
    Wow.aa shutting down. Goal is to keep server alive. Wow
    ?

"It remains unclear if Gamigo will continue publishing AA or if it will revert to developer XLGames.

I would say the delay could be because it's unknown who will be publishing AA. I didn't see AA shutting down. 
    I'm not sure how much you guys know about Gamigo but they are a company that is known for buying dying games so they can cannibalise.

I remember their name from many years ago when they cannibalised a defunct soccer MMO game.

• asnowasnow Member UncommonPosts: 25
    since our ArcheAge fans are of the utmost importance to us.
    Read more at https://www.mmorpg.com/archeage/news/update-archeage-relics-of-hiram-delayed-xlgames-working-to-settle-things-1000050263#PGhFBs6WHEU2FJ4p.99

You're archeage Fans ? Bro ... its dead game... 50 player online are not fans, its just nerds :D
  • stuart45stuart45 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Something I will never understand on here is how people seem to think its cool to rage against whatever game it happens to be. I love Archeage and always will and am very sure there are tons of players who feel the same way. <3 Archeage