Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Millions never had the chance for first generation.

Comments

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited November 2018
    Amathe said:
    Kyleran said:
    I tell myself the same, yet after so many years I'm not so sure I really do want to play MMORPGs anymore.

I sometimes feel mmorpg.com is a halfway house for people who on some level know they aren't going to play mmorpgs anymore, but are just not ready to admit that to themselves yet. 
    This exactly. I always say, acceptance is not necessary, its still happening regardless if we accept it or not. Its best to get with the times and try to find some joy in it.

I tried to get my 11 year old to play WoW and he said a few things

"Dad its borrring"

"Do I have to read all of this?"

"I have to help my friend run strikes tonight"

"None of my friends play this, Can I play the xbox now?" 

I realized long ago its really over but this cemented it for me. Kids today give no damns about that type of game. I was 12 in 99 when Everquest released. We were poor so I didn't have a computer until a few years later, but I remember a school friend having one. We would go to his house and watch him play it for hours. It was the most amazing thing ever because everything was new novelty. 

Open Worlds, Online Gaming, Character Creation, 3-D gaming.. it was all new.

Today? Lol.. these kids don't give a damn about none of that, they have lived it. My kid was born around the time GTA 4, Halo 3, Bioshock and COD 4 MWF. The first game he asked me for was 2014's Destiny. He was 7. His entire generation is like that. Its fortnite, warframe, destiny, division or nba2k that what the kids are doing. They LOVE console games. Computer games.. not so much.

True MMOs are for old people. Its the new bingo. (omg)

That's why I keep saying we should be grateful for games like Destiny they are keeping it somewhat alive. Its kinda cool to see. We should embrace what they are.

Nostalgia isn't going to save anything

Sidenote: Remember when granny forced you to go to bingo hall on wednesday night? All we wanted to do was go home and play EQ or WoW.

That's us forcing our kids to play traditional MMOs. All they wanna do is go play fortnite. 
    gervaise1MrMelGibson
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited November 2018
    my 7 year old loves Wow , and Fortnite ............. weird huh

And ill add , there has always been and will always be kids who like Baseball and Golf (slower TB  sports), and kids who like Football  and Rugby(Faster action sports) , and some kids that will like both .. There is nothing new here
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    klash2def said:
    Amathe said:
    Kyleran said:
    I tell myself the same, yet after so many years I'm not so sure I really do want to play MMORPGs anymore.

I sometimes feel mmorpg.com is a halfway house for people who on some level know they aren't going to play mmorpgs anymore, but are just not ready to admit that to themselves yet. 
    This exactly. I always say, acceptance is not necessary, its still happening regardless if we accept it or not. Its best to get with the times and try to find some joy in it.

"Dad its borrring"

I realized long ago its really over but this cemented it for me. Kids today give no damns about that type of game. I was 12 in 99 when Everquest released. We were poor so I didn't have a computer until a few years later, but I remember a school friend having one. We would go to his house and watch him play it for hours. It was the most amazing thing ever because everything was new novelty. 

Today? Lol.. these kids don't give a damn about none of that, they have lived it. My kid was born around the time GTA 4, Halo 3, Bioshock and COD 4 MWF. The first game he asked me for was 2014's Destiny. He was 7. His entire generation is like that. Its fortnite, warframe, destiny, division or nba2k that what the kids are doing. They LOVE console games. Computer games.. not so much.

That's why I keep saying we should be grateful for games like Destiny they are keeping it somewhat alive. Its kinda cool to see. We should embrace what they are.

Sidenote: Remember when granny forced you to go to bingo hall on wednesday night? All we wanted to do was go home and play EQ or WoW.

That's us forcing our kids to play traditional MMOs. All they wanna do is go play fortnite. 
    My 26 year old son was raised on MMOPRGs from Lineage 1 through GW2.

Today he sent us his list of desired birthday presents.  Shoes, cookware, and....RDR2.

He has no interest in MMORPGs anymore.

klash2defMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited November 2018
    Scorchien said:
    nope not weird. Your kid is your kid lol. Most kids today do not care for any MMORPG. I'm willing to bet you if you show 10 kids WoW and Fortnite in 2018 and asked them to pick one, 9/10 of them will pick fortnite. Your kid maybe being the exception.

I was only pointing out the shift. When I was 12 MMOs were the rage. Now its not.  
    ceratop001MrMelGibson
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

klash2def said:
    Scorchien said:
    nope not weird. Your kid is your kid lol. Most kids today do not care for any MMORPG. I'm willing to bet you if you show 10 kids WoW and Fortnite in 2018 and asked them to pick one, 9/10 of them will pick fortnite. Your kid maybe being the exception.

I was only pointing out the shift. When I was 12 MMOs were the rage. Now its not.  
    Problem with this is the average online game player is ........... 35  these arent kids and not a shift of generation but a shift more in gamer preference and more gamers each day joining, Under 18 only make up 28% of gamers the rest are 18 -50+
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    The amazing thing about EQ was I actually got to know some of hte players....It was like a chat room where we could play while we talked...I often got to know about other players families, what they did for a living or what school they went to...I knew many of them by their RL first names..... I can honestly say this didnt happen in any other MMO...WHile WoW did pick up the pace of play, the community was poor....Many of the players were total jerks because you could solo so much of the game that they didnt need anyone.....Pantheon will be interesting to follow, but I fear that style of play has gone the way of the dodo.
    One of my guilds actually had a get together at the Baltimore Fan Fare and I got to meet the people that I didn't already know in real life.  We even ate lunch with the model for Firiona Vie.
    Got to talk to the (infamous or famous - depends on how you feel about him) Brad McQuaid and other everquest developers.
    delete5230
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:
    Scorchien said:

Problem with this is the average online game player is ........... 35  these arent kids and not a shift of generation but a shift more in gamer preference and more gamers each day joining, Under 18 only make up 28% of gamers the rest are 18 -50+
    I was talking about the kids. I said the Kids don't care about MMOs anymore which is true. You brought up your kid liking wow as if it proved somehow that kids do care about MMOs. I think its great a 7 year old loves WoW but its not a representation of the full picture. I didn't say anything about the avg gamer. I said the kids don't care about MMOs anymore. They don't. 

What does the percentage of gamers being adults have to do with kids not caring about MMOs anymore? You brought this up and i'm confused how its relevant.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    klash2def said:
    Amathe said:
    Kyleran said:

"Dad its borrring"

I've tried to tell my counterpart who is waiting on this that the 'Old School' MMORPG days were the innovation of the MMORPG and player interaction as well as the game itself. There's a ebb and flow effect between the two of how our experiences played out and how we were entertained. 

The evolution of how we interact online continues... and games were created to keep the yin-yang effect in place with the tech/tools.

Example:

There was so much joy establishing relationships for the first time in EQ. Making friends, groups, clans was an achievement to me.

When Pantheon releases, established clans from years of playing together using voice chat will systematically target each class and profession to ensure this is no need to seek outside help... effectively killing the greatest social aspect of the genre to begin with... establishing the community.
    klash2defArglebargleMendelMadFrenchietweedledumb99MrMelGibson
    klash2def said:
    Amathe said:
    Kyleran said:

"Dad its borrring"

I've tried to tell my counterpart who is waiting on this that the 'Old School' MMORPG days were the innovation of the MMORPG and player interaction as well as the game itself. There's a ebb and flow effect between the two of how our experiences played out and how we were entertained. 

The evolution of how we interact online continues... and games were created to keep the yin-yang effect in place with the tech/tools.

Example:

There was so much joy establishing relationships for the first time in EQ. Making friends, groups, clans was an achievement to me.

When Pantheon releases, established clans from years of playing together using voice chat will systematically target each class and profession to ensure this is no need to seek outside help... effectively killing the greatest social aspect of the genre to begin with... establishing the community.
    Maybe so but in my case I doubt my LOTRO guild will go to Pantheon and I not seen any evidence of any of my old EQ or DAoC or EQ2 guilds reforming for Pantheon. So for really the first time in a long time, I will be starting out on my own.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Mylan12 said:
    <snip>
    Maybe so but in my case I doubt my LOTRO guild will go to Pantheon and I not seen any evidence of any of my old EQ or DAoC or EQ2 guilds reforming for Pantheon. So for really the first time in a long time, I will be starting out on my own.
    Why would any LotR guild move? Same with the others I suspect as well although its a while since I tried them. These are games that already provide "old style". 
    gervaise1 said:
    Mylan12 said:
    <snip>
    Why would any LotR guild move? Same with the others I suspect as well although its a while since I tried them. These are games that already provide "old style". 
    LOTRO is far from old style and I am probably one of the few in my guild that ever played EQ .

edited November 2018
    klash2def said:
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:
    Scorchien said:

I was talking about the kids. I said the Kids don't care about MMOs anymore which is true. You brought up your kid liking wow as if it proved somehow that kids do care about MMOs. I think its great a 7 year old loves WoW but its not a representation of the full picture. I didn't say anything about the avg gamer. I said the kids don't care about MMOs anymore. They don't. 

What does the percentage of gamers being adults have to do with kids not caring about MMOs anymore? You brought this up and i'm confused how its relevant.
    Because the group you are targeting is the minority of MMO players(and has been for 20 years 2 generations) , most kids under 18 dont play MMOs you are right .. but apparently after 18 they do .. So you have know way of knowing if this generation will move to MMO play when they get over 18 or wont .. do you .. 28-35+/- has always been average age of MMO players .. Nothing has changed yet , in 25 years .. We wont know if there is a shift till this generation is over 18 if the avg MMO age goes up to 45 then you would have a point ..

And your basing your experience on your kid and saying an entire generation ..  .. and yes the last generation of Kids were playing Halo and CoD as well as was the Generation before that .. nothing has changed there either as well as the avg age of MMO player in 25 years , Games like Halo and CoD been around for 25 years thru 2 generations ... kids 20 years ago were playing Halo and CoD 01 and 03 ( or something similar ) even before that in the 90s

Now there is a shift in more action type games going on also in GW2 /ESO/BDO etc and i think as kids get older they will gravitate ....to those types of games .. But then again we are all hoping for something even better than that arent we ..

edited November 2018
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:
    Scorchien said:

Because the group you are targeting is the minority of MMO players(and has been for 20 years 2 generations) , most kids under 18 dont play MMOs you are right .. but apparently after 18 they do .. So you have know way of knowing if this generation will move to MMO play when they get over 18 or wont .. do you .. 28-35+/- has always been average age of MMO players .. Nothing has changed yet , in 25 years .. We wont know if there is a shift till this generation is over 18 if the avg MMO age goes up to 45 then you would have a point ..

And your basing your experience on your kid and saying an entire generation ..  .. and yes the last generation of Kids were playing Halo and CoD as well as was the Generation before that .. nothing has changed there either as well as the avg age of MMO player in 25 years , Games like Halo and CoD been around for 25 years thru 2 generations ... kids 20 years ago were playing Halo and CoD 01 and 03 ( or something similar ) even before that in the 90s

Now there is a shift in more action type games going on also in GW2 /ESO/BDO etc and i think as kids get older they will gravitate ....to those types of games .. But then again we are all hoping for something even better than that arent we ..

MMO players are the smallest part of the gaming pool. You know this right? What do you mean "after 18 they do"  Where are you getting this from? So you are saying there is a dramatic shift of gamers hopping in MMOs after the age 18?  I find it hard to believe. The numbers don't support it. 

If what you are saying were true, the MMO would be the leading thing in gaming. The best shot is Destiny but so many old heads don't embrace it for what it is. Still doesn't change whats happening with it. Anyway, Fortnite has 40 Million players. 40 Million.  That's bigger than the entire MMO slice alone. Fortnite is even bigger than WoW was in the early 2000's and it penetrated pop culture a lot faster.  This is something to pay attention to. Most MMOs not named WoW would also kill for the userbase of Destiny or Warframe. Pay attention to this. 

"We wont know if there is a shift until this generation is over 18"

I beg to differ. There is a shift happening already, just pay attention. 

I'm not saying entire generation because of my kid, I used my kid as a example. I'm saying generation because there are millions of kids who do not care for WoW or any MMO. Its a generational thing. If you had a scale and put all the kids 7-19 who care about WoW/MMOs on one side and the kids who don't care on the other.. the latter would send the former into space. Same thing with gamers 19-26 too. They may know what it is but they don't care about it enough to want to play it over fortnite, destiny, gta online or even minecraft.

The shift happened already just not the one you were hoping for.
    MrMelGibson

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Mylan12 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Mylan12 said:
    <snip>
    LOTRO is far from old style and I am probably one of the few in my guild that ever played EQ .

So was I.

If you want something "older style" than LotR, vanilla WoW and - I suspect - DAoC then I hope you find the game you are looking for. I don't believe it will be Pantheon though. Even EQ1 evolved because games need money which means they need players.
    gervaise1 said:
    Mylan12 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Mylan12 said:
    <snip>

So was I.

If you want something "older style" than LotR, vanilla WoW and - I suspect - DAoC then I hope you find the game you are looking for. I don't believe it will be Pantheon though. Even EQ1 evolved because games need money which means they need players.
    I didn't say that. DAoC was fine especially before the TOA expansion. LOTRO was decent early especially before they moved to FTP and the cash shop. its still one of the best of whats around now days.
     If pantheon does not do the cash shop/FTP thing, encourages group play. moves away from the quest hub solo style game play then it might be a fit for me. Having mostly group content with some raid content would be good. Having mobs in such content actually drop real items and not tokens which you have to grind massive numbers of them to trade for items would be a plus.

I not sure if all these games change over time because they are losing so many players or if they see games like WoW with so many players and panic and start changing things to try and get the same massive numbers. Of course once they start changing they probably lose old players because of the changes about as fast as they gain new players.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Not much changed at all,there was basically two changes and both were imo stupid changes.

One is the marker over npc heads,looks dumb ..fake ,whatever it doesn't belong in the game.Secondly is giving out xp for quests,xp is not just some simple number to aid leveling it is SUPPOSE to be the experience your class has at it's job.How moving from NPC A to NPC B has ANYTHING to do with Warrior experience is beyond me,like how do these dumbass devs put any thought into their decisions,guess i answered my own question..they DON'T.

Oh you brought me 10 bear pelts,great ,here is your XP.
    Your experience as a class should be ongoing as you kill stuff or heal things,yes even healing npc's if they are in battle or casting spells both buffs and debuffs,all of that should be a skill.

So common sense tells us that if you were to use say a buff of Protection 5 million times,you would or SHOULD be quite skilled at doing that,so your skill level should show that.You wouldn't become more proficient at casting protection by running 1500 fetch me errands in which time you may have never cast protection even once.

Know why devs have gone this direction>>>SUPER simple game design,it is just way easier to do it this way,so in essence they are LAZY and cutting corners on cost and time to design the systems.Just look at EQ2 as an example,they streamlined the stats,each class only gets one stat and the Stamina is for all.

Mylan12Adamantine

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Don't want to spend the time and effort to create a robust game,well let's make ARPG's,1% the budget and time afforded,let's make MOBA's,again cheap lazy game design.

There is one other change and why games are designed in a certain way>>>>cash shops.We all knew the problem going this route but devs and investors put it in every game now,figuring we will just accept it>>>WRONG,i don't accept it and i am sure others don't as well.

I don't want my games designed around a cash shop,i want them designed PROPERLY.
    Kylerandelete5230Mylan12

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Wizardry said:
    Don't want to spend the time and effort to create a robust game,well let's make ARPG's,1% the budget and time afforded,let's make MOBA's,again cheap lazy game design.

There is one other change and why games are designed in a certain way>>>>cash shops.We all knew the problem going this route but devs and investors put it in every game now,figuring we will just accept it>>>WRONG,i don't accept it and i am sure others don't as well.

I don't want my games designed around a cash shop,i want them designed PROPERLY.
    Ouch, agreeing with Wizardry, rare but it does happen on occasion. 

Never change Wiz....

;)
    Scorchientweedledumb99MrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Wizardry said:

Ouch, agreeing with Wizardry, rare but it does happen on occasion. 

Never change Wiz....

;)
    Ive been there , you feel dirty afterwards, a shower will make you feel better :)
    KyleranMrMelGibson
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Scorchien said:

Kids are good at finding the fun in things. Adults are good at finding ways to make things unfun. 
    Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited November 2018
    Wizardry said:
    Not much changed at all,there was basically two changes and both were imo stupid changes.

One is the marker over npc heads,looks dumb ..fake ,whatever it doesn't belong in the game.Secondly is giving out xp for quests,xp is not just some simple number to aid leveling it is SUPPOSE to be the experience your class has at it's job.How moving from NPC A to NPC B has ANYTHING to do with Warrior experience is beyond me,like how do these dumbass devs put any thought into their decisions,guess i answered my own question..they DON'T.

Oh you brought me 10 bear pelts,great ,here is your XP.
    Your experience as a class should be ongoing as you kill stuff or heal things,yes even healing npc's if they are in battle or casting spells both buffs and debuffs,all of that should be a skill.

So common sense tells us that if you were to use say a buff of Protection 5 million times,you would or SHOULD be quite skilled at doing that,so your skill level should show that.You wouldn't become more proficient at casting protection by running 1500 fetch me errands in which time you may have never cast protection even once.

Know why devs have gone this direction>>>SUPER simple game design,it is just way easier to do it this way,so in essence they are LAZY and cutting corners on cost and time to design the systems.Just look at EQ2 as an example,they streamlined the stats,each class only gets one stat and the Stamina is for all.

I think another reason they do it is because most players want it that way. It's convenient. For stats, lot of players don't like to examine the stats on items to figure out things. This is the same reason they removed resistance holes in Anarchy Online over 15 years ago. It's the same reason they put passive effects into permanent slots in EQ (like haste). For the marker over NPCs heads, that's a common complaint. It's the same reason they add glowing paths or automatic quest updates on the map. Players complain about XYZ--ex: it's too tedious!!! If the devs resist, they're treated like the plague. The end result is the devs surrender because money is the bottom line.

This doesn't mean players are stupid. It's just this is the common denominator or the largest population of players.There's a profile system at the rpgcodex.net forums to better understand the type of RPG player someone is. The different subtypes are: System, Story, Exploration, Combat, Choices&Consequences. Atmosphere or MomentToMoment is sometimes also added.

System is for stats and mechanics. Players who enjoy it will read hte manual or like to examine the stats and gameplay machinery. Story is the narrative that ties you to your c haracter and the world. Players who like this will want lots of quests and direction. Exploration is more mundane than a story, but many players enjoy it. Players who enjoy it feel rewarded for disovering odd things and for adventuring into the furthest expanses. Combat is killing things. Players who enjoy it want things to defeat and like action or tactical maneuvers. Choices and consequences put the bite in the bark. Players who like it want to feel like there's positive and negative weights to their decisions. Atmosphere or MomentToMoment is like how everyting ties together. Is the music good? Is the style good? Does it make you feel awesome?

SO I can say the marker over NPC heads is linked to Exploration. MMO's with lots of labels and automatic systems for traveling will attract players who're not Exploration leaning. Having a single stat for the different classes is System-oriented. What this means is the EQ2 players probably tend to be allergic to Systems.

This is not definitive or commonly accepted. It's just something put together at that forum to describe the playstyles of players.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited January 2019
    I doubt I'll try it.

Anyone who passed on EQ in the 99-2004 timeframe due to "UI and AI" is not likely to survive in this game, anyways... 

Personally, Diet Coke EQ isn't my thing, and it's 2019...  Any gaming company can do better than what they've shown us thus far.

I think the constant excuse manufacturing for this game being an obvious rip off of a historical relic says more than the naysayers could ever write on a forum.

EQ went out of vogue because a new generation of gamers came into the market and they weren't into what EQ had to offer:  No-Life Style Korean PvE grinding with bad PvP and a never ending gear treadmill.

It had very little to do with the expansions or the direction they took the game, the same way WoW "losing customers" has little to do with that.  These things are cyclical, and they very rarely go backwards.  The only exception being the recent "resurgence" of Isometric RPG games like Pillars of Eternity.

Everyone is always reaching to bring nostalgia into the present, but it doesn't work that way.

Those of us who actually stuck around long enough to experience EQ and it's amazing community and the culture within the MMORPG gaming community back then, have those memories.  They rest of you can keep donating in an attempt to buy it; but it's out of sale - indefinitely.
    MrMelGibsonWenchesnmead
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Wizardry said:
    Well it was done again 4 years later by FFXI and imo much better than EQ1.
    Reason it got left behind was WOW,the massive influx of new online gamer didn't know anything about the EQ1/FFXI design,they knew Warcraft,battle.net,Diablo,so they quickly knew and wanted to play WOW.

For some like myself,idc what a developer did before or that i might like one of their games,i simply look for a type of game design that i will enjoy.Problem is we no longer got CHOICE because all the new upstart developers saw how much fast money Wow was making and jumped all over that bandwagon with clone after clone after clone.

We still see the same bandwagon jumping,Farmville,then tons of Farmville copy cats,Mobas then tons of mobas,HS hits mainstream,tons of TCG's,Battle Royale's,tons more to follow.

All these new devs have ZERO confidence,so they aim for a game design that is proving to be popular.Problem with their bandwagon jumping is that there is only enough room for a few at the top,the rest won't make it.

Point being?Be a LEADER in game design,be creative,quit being a follower/copycat game designer.

Most games weren't WoW clones.  Cloning WoW means you get another WoW, and we didn't get that.  What we got were games that used design elements that WoW targeted to cater to a mass audience, but weren't able to capture a large player base.  Most games that died out died due to them being buggy messes, bad performance, almost no story investment, etc.

WoW's solo'ish quest-based leveling system wasn't and isn't a bad thing.  Grinding mobs for 6 hours a day was bad.  At some point, games have to relegate themselves to being forms of entertainment, and not time investments on the same level of full time jobs.

At some point, MMORPG communities have to relegate to being strangers on line, and people need to put more stock in real-life social activities.  This means getting off the PC and going out with friends, or having dinner withi family, etc.

Games like EQ weren't healthy, which is why it was called EverCrack.  The game garnered a bad reputation due to bad PR stemming from the way it forced players to live at their PCs, and as a result no one wanted to be associated with that - except Korean game developers.

Blizzard allowed players to be involved in an MMORPG community without devoting a third of their lives to it.  It was the best thing that happened to this genre; and it's the reason why the genre got as bit as it did.  Otherwises, we never would have seen the mountain of MMORPG game failures we have seen over the years.

Most games died not because of cloning WoW, but because they were badly developed, badly marketed, and simply not good games.

Vanguard was good only insofar as it was the "spiritual successor to EQ," and many of us were just coming off of EQ back then - so that type of gameplay was quite comfortable to us.  Outside of that, it was awful.  The engine was awful.  It had hilariously high system requirements (even more so than EQ2, which was AWFUL in that regard).  It didn't even look that good.  It was beyond buggy.

Games like Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, etc. were not "WoW clones," yet they still either died out, or practically died from the standpoint of maintaining a large enough player community for the game to function "as intended."

And I'd like to add, many people on this vry forum had a front row seat to allowing WoW to grow to epic size and control the industry.  They are now popping up with the "It was great until Wrath" B.S. excuse to allow themselves to trash it while acting like it was Satan to MMORPG gaming...  Doesn't really work that way.

If people were more willing to stick with other games and allow them to develop more, perhaps the market would be different, these days...  But we all know that 2006-2009 was the age of "If it ain't clicking by the time the free 30 days is up... leave it."

Being fickle has its price.
    SovrathWenchesnmeadcraftseeker
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    This mmo will be as highly successful as a remastered Windows 95 would be. Will it launch? Maybe, but if it does in what state? They only get one chance, and I doubt they will have the funds to stay afloat if the game isn't polished at launch. Those few on these forum's who think it will take off and be a massive sucess are either very naive or under the impression that their view is ubiquitous among gamers. The truth is that traditional mmos are dead. That is easily proven by the lack of any reputable studio developing new mmos. 

I spoke with my niece recently about mmos. She didn't even know what they were lol. She is 12. She definitely knows what roblox and fortnite is. Pantheon isn't going to change this. It will have to rely on the older gamers. Which most won't have the time to invest into an MMO like they did in their youth playing EQ1 etc.

I've said it before, the only way an MMO will be a huge success again is something revolutionary that hasn't been seen before. This game will be niche at best. And with a niche player base, when content gets consumed. The typical gamer will play something else till more content releases. After all there are more game options out there than time to play them all. Will a niche mmo survive an exodus like that? We are not in the early 2000s anymore. Back then people stayed with their mmos because they didn't have many options to migrate to in between content patches.

I have no animosity towards this game or it's fans. I just honestly believe they should temper their expectations. 
    MendelWenchesnmeadhallucigenocide
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited January 2019
    This mmo will be as highly successful as a remastered Windows 95 would be. Will it launch? Maybe, but if it does in what state? They only get one chance, and I doubt they will have the funds to stay afloat if the game isn't polished at launch. Those few on these forum's who think it will take off and be a massive sucess are either very naive or under the impression that their view is ubiquitous among gamers. The truth is that traditional mmos are dead. That is easily proven by the lack of any reputable studio developing new mmos. 

I spoke with my niece recently about mmos. She didn't even know what they were lol. She is 12. She definitely knows what roblox and fortnite is. Pantheon isn't going to change this. It will have to rely on the older gamers. Which most won't have the time to invest into an MMO like they did in their youth playing EQ1 etc.

I've said it before, the only way an MMO will be a huge success again is something revolutionary that hasn't been seen before. This game will be niche at best. And with a niche player base, when content gets consumed. The typical gamer will play something else till more content releases. After all there are more game options out there than time to play them all. Will a niche mmo survive an exodus like that? We are not in the early 2000s anymore. Back then people stayed with their mmos because they didn't have many options to migrate to in between content patches.

I have no animosity towards this game or it's fans. I just honestly believe they should temper their expectations. 
    I'll be honest, I agree.... BUT Pantheon has a chance to be popular with a large player base that has the possibility to grow.  EQ1 is so old, it has the possibility to be new again.

#1 It has to launch as a full game.  Look at the same old disaster as always with ATLAS, it's a P.O.S. 
    #2 It has to be near bug free. Very worried about this.   
    #3 Some commercial advertisement needs to be done along with word-of-mouth. 

As far as questioning a young family member, that's always a good thing to "ask a kid" they know the fad's..... But kids and fad's deal in realtime…. Realtime mmorpg's SUCK and have SUCKED for over 10 years now.  

Sure they would say mmo !, whats that ?