Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rumor - Upcoming week - more turmoil in video game industry

Comments

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    LOL. Talk about melodramatic. Not many care about this at all Kano. Feel bad for the people losing jobs but it s the industry, get used to it, sadly.
    iamspamicusNorseGodjimmywolf
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,883
    Scorchien said:
    Aeander said:
    I don't think this is it.

Knowing DMKano, I'm predicting the opposite of a Trion failure or game closure. They're expanding their purview. My guess is that they intend to purchase a smaller studio - one with assets that they would like to lay claim to, and potentially fire/restructure the staff of said studio. 
    Trion has appeared pretty desperate the past 18 months, with there low budget cheap relaunches/remakes /enhanced / server merges,lay offs , money grabs , that the community is frankly sick of , it would not surprise me if they shuttered some games or sold the IPS off
    ^^  lol this ...
    SlyLoKNycteliosMrMelGibson
  • StaticWaxStaticWax Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I just want to let everyone know that sometime in the future, at some point, things will change. Things will be torn down and things will be built. People will die and will also be born. When this happens, I want you to think of me, with my superior knowledge and insider tracking on what you all will never understand. 

Peace.
    iamspamicusGrunimNycteliosRueTheWhirljimmywolfEQBallzz
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,003
    he's the resident Trion guy. it's rare to see others post positive stuff about their products so to him it probably is a big deal.

anyway it sucks for the people getting sacked. but that's the industry i suppose.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,642
    I'd love to see a big shake up of the industry.  I'm not liking it's current trajectory and would like to see things get mixed up, innovated, old companies with old ideas go out of business and new companies with new ideas and more fair business practices replacing the old.  I want to see MMORPG's take back their identity and focus on their target audience and stop chasing after console gamers, esports and twitch.tv.
    RueTheWhirltinoberserk

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,775
    I guess Kano's estimation of Trion's relevance in the industry is a little skewed.
    Soki123TillerDaRedHawkAsm0deusScorchienlaxieimmodiumGrunimRhoklawKellerand 9 others.
    So glad I decided not to spend any time or money on Rift Prime
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 5,954
    TillerlaseritOctagon7711FlyByKnightRhoklawNorseGodSedrynTyrosNycteliosOG_ZorvanWaanand 3 others.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    thunderC said:
    This made me bust out laughing in a quiet space. Well done sir.
    MrMelGibson
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Amathe said:
    Runner up. Man, keep these coming. You guys are making my Monday awesome.
    MrMelGibson
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,193
    DMKano said:
    This year has been brutal in terms of instability in video game industry.

Lots of rumblings about something imminent about to go down

Stay tuned.

P.S. Maybe this year will be the one to be the catalyst for change inside the video game industry as far as change needed to introduce some stability, as at this rate - developers will keep bailing and leaving the industry for something more stable.
    Being in the industry, I can say that there are some changes coming in the western market (which is all most of you care about). We might be involved in some, so I cant give any specifics, but many developers/publishers are not as stable as people would like to believe.
    I just love that @Gdemami gave this an unexplained LOL.

That dude has no shame.
    Some of you know what company I was associated with. When we sold that company, we had a non compete for many years, but that has since passed, and we have been considering moving back into the publishing market. There are many more opportunities at this time than you would have in a healthy market, and we have explored some.  Some of you might consider this bad (if you didnt like our service), but others might actually appreciate us coming back.
    TorvalMadFrenchieTyranusPrimeRueTheWhirlMrMelGibson
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,296
    edited October 2018
    Scorchien said:
    Lol thats it .. cmon Kano , This is a blip in the Industry and some of said that Trions been in trouble for quite some time ..

Ive been saying it for months ..

With Gazillion

With there Definace ..

With the Layoffs..

Many threads on this site we can dig up with folks saying that Trion is in trouble and desperate ..This is barely news..

Well ... I suppose that depends on where you stand. I think Kano has friends or some sort of tie-in with Trion so where he sits this IS news.

It's like that time, years and years ago, a friend learned of a new Beatles movie on the life of the Beatles just before they became famous.

He got some of us to go and insisted we get there first thing so we could get tickets and get a seat. They opened the theater (quite early incidentally) and there we sat with something like 5 other people besides our group.

My friend was looking around and then said "where is everyone?"

I guess a movie on the early Beatles doesn't command lines even though my friend thought differently.

Probably Kano's case.

edit: I should add that it's possible that to people in the industry this IS big news but for us it's "yeah? What else ya got?" B)
    Octagon7711MrMelGibson

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    DMKano said:

Stay tuned.

P.S. Maybe this year will be the one to be the catalyst for change inside the video game industry as far as change needed to introduce some stability, as at this rate - developers will keep bailing and leaving the industry for something more stable.
    Being in the industry, I can say that there are some changes coming in the western market (which is all most of you care about). We might be involved in some, so I cant give any specifics, but many developers/publishers are not as stable as people would like to believe.

That dude has no shame.
    Some of you know what company I was associated with. When we sold that company, we had a non compete for many years, but that has since passed, and we have been considering moving back into the publishing market. There are many more opportunities at this time than you would have in a healthy market, and we have explored some.  Some of you might consider this bad (if you didnt like our service), but others might actually appreciate us coming back.
    I have said elsewhere more than once that I think a culling would, long-term, open up new revenue opportunities that might bring investors back to the genre once they saw said opportunity and room within the genre return.  Can't just keep adding franchises and titles to a finite customer pool and expect to continue making the same returns, and this genre, imo, still seems to be equalizing from the unprecedented swell of the genre when WoW exploded.
    GdemamiMendelMrMelGibson

• TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,127
    edited October 2018
    Welp, it ended up being on the level of someone telling me they pooped in the toilet and it stunk.

TheScavengerRueTheWhirlMrMelGibson

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,549
     :|
    TorvalOctagon7711MadFrenchieNycteliosTheScavengerlaseritRueTheWhirlGorweWalkinGlennMrMelGibson
    "PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

Currently: Games Audio Engineer
    You've heard what I've heard

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,761
    klash2def said:
     :|
    That made me lol.
    NycteliosMrMelGibson
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,507
    That's it? I expected something Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
    DibdabsMrMelGibson
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,588
    Imagine applying for a job and you have Trion on your resume. I wouldn't hire anybody from that disastrous gaming company. Unless you worked for them pre 2012.

Nyctelios said:
    That's it? I expected something Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
    Uphill both ways in the snow.
  • TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,127
    The Tri in their name must have been in relation to the 3 failures they would manage, and the same three that killed them as a company.
    RueTheWhirl

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 4,819
    Imagine applying for a job and you have Trion on your resume. I wouldn't hire anybody from that disastrous gaming company. Unless you worked for them pre 2012.
    Good thing you aren't the one hiring, then. The ones responsible for the fuckheaded business decisions aren't the ones currently out of a job. The upper management makes those decisions, and they are the ones to keep their positions after the fallout of said bad decisions. The hardworking coders, artists, and writers had no part in that. 
    GdemamiOctagon7711KyleranMrMelGibson
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 1,884
    DMKano said:

Stay tuned.

That dude has no shame.
    Companies die for reasons. What's dead needs to stay dead. Whole fucking genre is nothing but shambling zombie companies as it is already.
    GdemamiEQBallzz

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

• GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,197
    Is this it?
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 2,849
    Yawn.  Trion.  Useless company anyway.  I'm surprised it's staggered on this long to be honest.
    GorweEQBallzz
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member RarePosts: 2,859
    Sovrath said:
    Scorchien said:
    Lol thats it .. cmon Kano , This is a blip in the Industry and some of said that Trions been in trouble for quite some time ..

Ive been saying it for months ..

With Gazillion

With there Definace ..

With the Layoffs..

Many threads on this site we can dig up with folks saying that Trion is in trouble and desperate ..This is barely news..

Well ... I suppose that depends on where you stand. I think Kano has friends or some sort of tie-in with Trion so where he sits this IS news.

It's like that time, years and years ago, a friend learned of a new Beatles movie on the life of the Beatles just before they became famous.

He got some of us to go and insisted we get there first thing so we could get tickets and get a seat. They opened the theater (quite early incidentally) and there we sat with something like 5 other people besides our group.

My friend was looking around and then said "where is everyone?"

I guess a movie on the early Beatles doesn't command lines even though my friend thought differently.

Probably Kano's case.

edit: I should add that it's possible that to people in the industry this IS big news but for us it's "yeah? What else ya got?" B)
    meh, trion selling his ips or someone buying the whole thing was expect for like what? months? there was not one single thing they can do right for years now, now seeing archeage and defiance on aeria list will be funny as hell, not I will play it ever again anyway
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.