Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rumor - Upcoming week - more turmoil in video game industry

DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,658
This year has been brutal in terms of instability in video game industry.

Lots of rumblings about something imminent about to go down

Stay tuned.

P.S. Maybe this year will be the one to be the catalyst for change inside the video game industry as far as change needed to introduce some stability, as at this rate - developers will keep bailing and leaving the industry for something more stable.
TokkenOctagon7711KumaponJeffSpicolijimmywolfRueTheWhirl

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 6,428
    Coming from you that is very ominous.
    craftseekerKyleranYashaXkitarad
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 519
    People wanting stability in an industry that is known for instability is somewhat delusional.

Anyone getting in the business knows they could be out of work the very next day.  It's the nature of the business.

Hell, most jobs are pretty unstable these days.  
    Gone are the days of company pensions... they don't expect you to work for them that long.
    Most jobs are at-will employment, meaning they can fire you without notice.  Seen that happen at work just the other day.  Didn't even let them finish out a work week, fired them on a Thursday.  They had been with the company for more than 10 years.  Hasta la vista baby... good luck finding a new job in your 50's.

This is the world we live in.  Tragic world.  But let's get real, no one is immune to it.
    GdemamiEQBallzziamspamicusxmenty
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
    DMKano said:

Stay tuned.

P.S. Maybe this year will be the one to be the catalyst for change inside the video game industry as far as change needed to introduce some stability, as at this rate - developers will keep bailing and leaving the industry for something more stable.
    Care to elaborate in general terms what the rumors are?
    WellspringMrMelGibsonOctagon7711craftseeker

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    DMKano said:

Stay tuned.

Either say what it is, or don't bother posting about it. 
    SBFordAsm0deusSlapshot1188MikehaTokkenWellspringScorchienFlyByKnightGolelornTorvaland 12 others.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,200
    I stopped at a Psychic/Fortune teller on the way home.   She said that this week I would have many challenges but also bright spots.

mmolouTokkenMrMelGibsonNycteliosAsheramHatefullYashaXEQBallzziamspamicusRueTheWhirl

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,658
    edited October 2018
    SBFord said:
    DMKano said:

Stay tuned.

Care to elaborate in general terms what the rumors are?

I can't since there would be legal ramifications if I gave specifics. 

Just brace yourselves for the news - shouldn't be a long wait
    MikehaForgrimmMrMelGibsonOctagon7711Gdemamixmentyalkarionlog
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 1,895
    Sky is falling.

Again.

You heard it here first, folks.
    TokkenMrMelGibsonNycteliosHatefullGdemami

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,616
    Nothing in law is cold hard defined,so it always favors the devs and even allows them to circumvent the law.There is also law surrounding misleading and endorsing a product not defined as sponsored,in other words using BIASED reviews to get financial rewards.
    Yet again the law is garbage,way too undefined with enough specifics.So you give reviews using OTHER people,put in some CONS to say ,see there we are not all biased.

Crowd funding,once was considered illegal or never properly defined with guidelines.Yet again,expect changes and they are needed.REFUNDS?? haha good one,if the game is considered FREE to play,you NEVER have any recourse to recover funds.Ok so they DUPE you and circumvent the law with cash shops,aka ship sales or loot boxes or whatever else they sell.Got your item delivered,good the law is covered.The item is as stated and functions as stated,good you have no recourse for misleading products or a misleading developer/publisher.

EXCEPT !!! SO you like the game,don't mind spending a few $$$ for what you THINK is the best weapon.Well scummy dev just adds a NEW RAID boss,a new and better weapon and drops the very next week.So now your purchase is no longer good enough,the gear score is too low for that NEXT Boss fight,spend again.This is just a simple example,there are many DUBIOUS ways devs are grinding out money.
    I love when people who defend a game say stuff like "you don't NEED that item in cash shop".You can earn it with 50 years of playing,as Angry Joe pointed out to a non suspecting SC rep.Oh wait he says,we won't do that,this is just the testing phase or Alpha or whatever,we will surely make it earned when the game releases...LMAO,,oh so when is it releasing...we don't know ,haha.

There is just a LOT of bait and switch,hook gamer's in then basically FORCE them to spend or continue to MISLEAD the gamer into thinking it is worth spending because something GREAT is incoming,when,we don't know,you just have to trust us !!!

Gdemamiiamspamicus

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TokkenTokken Member RarePosts: 2,236
    Some people around here needs attention? OP
    HorusradarkheartsLokeroHatefullKelleriamspamicus
    Make PvE GREAT Again!
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 1,895
    Wizardry said:
    *snip*

In laymans terms, the neighborhood crack dealer moved into game development where he can't get arrested for slinging virtual dope."First hit's free..." and all that. I agree. It's why I couldn't care less if the entire online gaming industry burned in flames an hour from now.
    VorthanionEQBallzziamspamicusalkarionlog

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,200
    Rumblings could mean anything!

Can you at least give a vague hint so we know when it goes down, that you predicted it? Like is it about a specific company, the whole gaming industry, a new law? Or a general timeframe it will happen?

Next year some random studio could go out of business and when you're like "see told you so!", no one will believe you.  
    --------------------------------------------
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 2,972
    Wizardry said:
    Nothing in law is cold hard defined,so it always favors the devs and even allows them to circumvent the law.There is also law surrounding misleading and endorsing a product not defined as sponsored,in other words using BIASED reviews to get financial rewards.
    Yet again the law is garbage,way too undefined with enough specifics.So you give reviews using OTHER people,put in some CONS to say ,see there we are not all biased.

Crowd funding,once was considered illegal or never properly defined with guidelines.Yet again,expect changes and they are needed.REFUNDS?? haha good one,if the game is considered FREE to play,you NEVER have any recourse to recover funds.Ok so they DUPE you and circumvent the law with cash shops,aka ship sales or loot boxes or whatever else they sell.Got your item delivered,good the law is covered.The item is as stated and functions as stated,good you have no recourse for misleading products or a misleading developer/publisher.

EXCEPT !!! SO you like the game,don't mind spending a few $$$ for what you THINK is the best weapon.Well scummy dev just adds a NEW RAID boss,a new and better weapon and drops the very next week.So now your purchase is no longer good enough,the gear score is too low for that NEXT Boss fight,spend again.This is just a simple example,there are many DUBIOUS ways devs are grinding out money.
    I love when people who defend a game say stuff like "you don't NEED that item in cash shop".You can earn it with 50 years of playing,as Angry Joe pointed out to a non suspecting SC rep.Oh wait he says,we won't do that,this is just the testing phase or Alpha or whatever,we will surely make it earned when the game releases...LMAO,,oh so when is it releasing...we don't know ,haha.

There is just a LOT of bait and switch,hook gamer's in then basically FORCE them to spend or continue to MISLEAD the gamer into thinking it is worth spending because something GREAT is incoming,when,we don't know,you just have to trust us !!!

Wrong thread?
    MrMelGibson
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,200
    Actually, I got it. OP you can mail your prediction to Bill Murphy in a sealed envelope with "Do Not Open until I Say So".

Then once the event happens and you're ready, Bill can open it live on MMOFTW and we can all see if you were right!
    NycteliosOctagon7711craftseekerChildoftheShadowsk61977iamspamicusRueTheWhirl
    --------------------------------------------
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,616
    We should expect more because of one game that seems to have awakened everyone,more so than Warcraft did>>>>Fortnite.

Funny how Epic games once revered for a large modding community and heavily endorsed modding is now NOT endorsing modding,but will instead SELL you stuff in their cash shops.

I have often pointed to my disgust with Hearthstone in how a developer can claim or PRETEND to SELL YOU items...CARDS but in reality,you NEVER own ANY of them...EVER.It wouldn't look good for Blizzard to just sell a LICENSE and of course they MANIPULATE how much value you can get from your so called PURCHASES,i mean licensed use.

MTG,the one who started it all,GAVE us the cards,maybe not a digital game so not quite the same but still we got value in our purchases and we mostly did OWN the cards to do as we wished.Even when MTG ran an online game,now closed down before this new rendition,we could cash in the digital cards for REAL ones,albeit with a harsh stipulation,you had to have the complete set.Even still we Did own the cards,we could sell them or give them away or trade them.

Long winded point is that we will eventually see changes to our purchases,we SHOULD have more rights with a purchase,we SHOULD OWN our purchases,the developers do NOT deserve to have the law ONLY on their side.So expect to see changes that allow modding to Fortnite and other games,we OWN it we should do as we please,if you are trying to circumvent the laws by claiming A free game,then TOO bad,we own a free game then.
    Gdemami

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,871
    This should have been a poll.
    A. Major laws being passed with more regulations for loot boxes.
    B. Consumer protection rights being elevated.
    C. A major push for a developer union.
    D. Stronger kick starter regulations.
    E. ...
    TorvalMrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,420
    Something wicked this way comes.

I'll make sure to wake up sometime this week to see what all the hullabaloo is.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,168
    This might be the most desperate shout for attention i have seen in a long time. 

It is almost sad. Especially as even if you are right now OP... It will all be a yawn. 
    MrMelGibsonChildoftheShadowsiamspamicusalkarionlog

Tawess gaming

Tawess soapbox

This have been a good conversation

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,200
    My sister's husband's cousin just filled me in.  According to rumblings, Sony and Microsoft are merging and will then acquire Activision Blizzard.  This may or may not be announced on Tuesday.  Apparently, there is some scuttlebutt about a video showing some executives discussing loot boxes and whether they were predatory or simply sexist.  Eventually, they got into a fistfight over how many genders were needed to be inclusive in a game.  This lead to someone posting something on Twitter.

A mob formed, but the mob is not sure if they are supporting or protesting against the cause.

More to come.

SBFordMrMelGibsonNycteliosNasacraftseekerYashaXAethaerynRueTheWhirl

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,911
      Seems to be some overeaction and knee jerk , ive personally made an awful lot of money this year thru the industry ..
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    This just in... weather is not going to look that great this month.

Lots of rumblings incoming, stay tuned.
    MrMelGibsonNyctelios
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,726
    Well it's not like he didn't give us any information at all.
    We know that Kano has insider connections which are tied to Trion.

So my guess is Rift or ArcheAge are closing?
    Wellspring
    Harbinger of Fools
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 2,972
    Dakeru said:

Not just Trion. He knew that ESO was going buy to play before it was announced.
    DakeruAsm0deusYashaXGdemamiRueTheWhirl
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,726
    Forgrimm said:
    Dakeru said:

You are right but I find it hard to believe that bad news about ESO are about to be released.

Believing that Trion games are going to close.. yes that doesn't sound unlikely.
    GdemamiDibdabs5CARLLeTT
    Harbinger of Fools
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,560
    Forgrimm said:
    Dakeru said:

We at TESOF also knew. Please.
    NorseGodScorchienSlyLoKklash2defYashaX
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,911
    edited October 2018
    Nyctelios said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Dakeru said:

We at TESOF also knew. Please.
    yea .. this pretty much the world new it was going F2P months ahead the rumors and signs were there..

If i remember right Forbes predicted it go F2P  like 10 months ahead of time to the day i think ..I was skeptical reading it .. but ..  

This is going to be anti-climatic :)