Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight Frontiers & the Awesome Power of Relic Weapons - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageTorchlight Frontiers & the Awesome Power of Relic Weapons - MMORPG.com

Relic Weapons are as integral in defining who your character is as your pet and the gear that you’re wearing. In essence, pet, character class and relic weapon become your identity, but one that can shift from Frontier to Frontier or just because you want to play a different way.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Such a great interview and, honestly, a system that I'm really looking forward to! I love that what a "character" is is determined by the class, pet and relic weapon. It offers so many unique ways to play. I can't wait to learn more about the game's pets too. :)
    IlayaNextrixTokkenElvocMrMelGibsonSilvantor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Wow this sounds better and better. Although I've kind of grown tired of the aRPG genre in general lately this looks to hold my interest a bit more.

I could do without the typical spam-fest potion-chugging aRPG combat but we'll see how that pans out. Although they've mentioned cooldowns on the relic weapon abilities I kind of wish there was more strategy/timing/skill to *every* skill.
    VorthanionThupliMrMelGibson
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I've always liked the idea of weapons that level with you ever since I first saw that kind of system in LOTRO but I've yet to see anyone do it properly.

As to gear being a huge portion of who your character is and being able to swap it to change your playing style, I'm already quite used to that in ESO and like that approach quite a bit.

ESO has a lot more than just + stats on gear with many sets that "proc" interesting and useful extra effects. Some even add just a plain fun visual factor like the two sets they added with Clockwork City: one set procs a spinning "fabricant" that sends mobs flying up in the air as it damages them and the other one procs a murder of crows that pecks at your enemies.

So yeah, I'm liking what I'm hearing about Frontiers.
    MrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited October 2018

As  a huge Torchlight fan , im a bit skeptical of this system , need to see more , as finding new armor and weapons in an ARPG is paramount , it seems like this moves away from that bit...And players love weapons dropping , this again seems to move away from that ..

And correct me if im wrong , But isnt Frontiers gonna be a lobby game much like D3 and POE ... and we never called them MMos
    edited October 2018
    Scorchien said:

As  a huge Torchlight fan , im a bit skeptical of this system , need to see more , as finding new armor and weapons in an ARPG is paramount , it seems like this moves away from that bit...And players love weapons dropping , this again seems to move away from that ..

And correct me if im wrong , But isnt Frontiers gonna be a lobby game much like D3 and POE ... and we never called them MMos
    You're absolutely still on the hunt for weapons  and new armor. That's all still there. The Relic Weapons are and additional slot! Weapons are still the bread and butter with Relics adding new abilities / active / passive skills on top of all the other gear that you're acquiring. :)
    ScorchienIselin[Deleted User]someforumguyTacticalZombehMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426

Scorchien said:

Those Relic Weapons are more of an additional skill tree that can be equipped by every class than a weapon. They reside in a special slot next to your regular weapons which are random drops and not crafted items.
    Also in addition to the towns that serve as lobbies Torchlight Frontiers features shared world areas where players fight monsters and will meet each other randomly and could potentially group and play together in the instanced content of the game. This is what qualifies the game for the MMO tittle and makes it different from other lobby games. Those areas will feature relatively small amount of players in an area instance though so think more Neverwinter than Guild Wars 2.
    "Those areas will feature relatively small amount of players in an area instance though so think more Neverwinter than Guild Wars 2."

They need to define how many players are in this instanced area before we can start calling it an mmo

Scorchien said:

They need to define how many players are in this instanced area before we can start calling it an mmo

Cannot tell you exactly how many players there would be in those at the moment as they are tweaking things and in different builds where were 8. 12 or 16 people per area instance. They can make the areas support large number of people but they said that it felt more like being alone in a crowd rather than playing with someone else that is in the same place so they artificially lowered the player count. Still that is about the same as Neverwinter where there are either 10 or 20 people per area and we still call that game a MMO.
    Anyway, there is a write-up with more information about the Relic Weapons at Torchlight's official reddit and it is kind of an interesting read: https://www.reddit.com/r/Torchlight/comments/9pm2pk/relic_weapons_deep_dive/
    edited October 2018
    No...

No thats not an MMO , and there nothing wrong with that, I look forward to playing this Coop/Multi player ARPG
    lahnmirTacticalZombeh
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Scorchien said:
    No...

No thats not an MMO , and there nothing wrong with that, I look forward to playing this Coop/Multi player ARPG
    I not only agree, I also think it is a positive thing. Going from not interested at all to slightly curious.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ScorchienMrMelGibson
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

I think the amount of player interaction is much more determining if a game is an MMO than the number of players in an instance. I think an important feature of the genre is meeting players who you are not automatically allied or enemy with and presenting an environment with common or conflicting goals that the players can choose to cooperate for or potentially fight over if the game allows it.
  • ElthiumElthium Member UncommonPosts: 88
    I'm up to L79 with my Outlander in TL2. Looking forward to this title. Hope they can pull it off.
    XophHariken
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    MOOD:

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Nhisso13Nhisso13 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Sounds like gimmicky non sense that will fail hard. Instead of learning from torchlight 2's mods which gave the game amazing character and class customization, theyre forcing people to use pets and make relic weapons? Lol. No wonder this is some perfect world owned non sense. Game will be terrible and fail hard. I guess ill re download torchlight 2 and get all the mods i had and combine them like the good ol days, because frontier sounds like a wannabe world of warcraft with an ARPG style to it.
    NecroneusThupliBlacklabelcali
  • Nhisso13Nhisso13 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    P.s.: going out of your way to tell us youre a female was so cringey, although im guessing this was an identity thing...
    Blacklabelcali
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Torval said:
    lahnmir said:
    Scorchien said:
    No...

I not only agree, I also think it is a positive thing. Going from not interested at all to slightly curious.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Between culling, layering, slicing, and phasing are there many actual MMOs in existence?

Rift allows hundreds in an instance but culling prevents you from seeing more than around 50 at a time. Try this, go to a zone event where there are tons of people are walk around the rift of zone boss and you'll see your personal culling circle move with you.

Guild Wars 2... same thing. ESO, LotRO, etc and so on.

I wouldn't call this an MMO either, but I think the time has passed for shoehorning our games into an old marketing slogan. MMOs and the need to try and use them as a baseline measurement for a game can't die fast enough for me. That way when a game offers massive concurrency it will mean something. In other words calling this an MMO isn't any more of a joke than calling most everything else an MMO.

MMO is so simple for me: 500+ player concurrency with no instancing. Not many games actually fit that.

edit: spelling
    I agree, although I am not rigidly holding on to what an  MMO should be, like some purists are. Most examples you give are definitely MMOs to me, phasing, instancing etc. I couldn’t care less. I do loathe loading screens in game though....

I just don’t think Torchlight would work as a game with MMO mechanics, just like all other actual MMOARPGs have failed or just had very short life spans.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• GameolioDanGameolioDan Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Good spot of news there. Can't wait to see it in it's final form.

I think it's time to play Torchlight 1 & 2 again!
    G'day! Aussie guy that records videos of his gameplay. I stream gameplay too.

Youtube: http://youtube.com/c/gameoliodan
    Twitch: http://twitch.tv/gameoliodan
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Starting to think the staff is calling things mmos just to see how many people will comment "THATS NOT AN MMO WE REALLY NEED TO START ENFORCING THE MMO LABELING POLICY IT HURTS MY FEELINGS"

fortnite is the only mmo
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Utinni said:

Starting to think the staff is calling things mmos just to see how many people will comment "THATS NOT AN MMO WE REALLY NEED TO START ENFORCING THE MMO LABELING POLICY IT HURTS MY FEELINGS"

fortnite is the only mmo

Lmfao, for real. So many easily hurt weenies.
    Hariken
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Looks like the bee's knees to me. I just hope my 2 big items make it to live. Que-able content and pvp matches (don't mind if it's CTF or other type scenarios.)
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Nhisso13 said:
    P.s.: going out of your way to tell us youre a female was so cringey, although im guessing this was an identity thing...
    P.S. Shut the whole entire f#$% UP.
    MrMelGibson
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Zeppel80Zeppel80 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Everything about this sounds great. I sure hope this comes out well.
    Elthium said:
    I'm up to L79 with my Outlander in TL2. Looking forward to this title. Hope they can pull it off.
      really enjoyed the Outlander in TL2 , got mine to lv 100 Demigod ++ , i hope there is a similar class in Frontiers
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Nhisso13 said:

If a meteor hit earth again and killed all life. It wouldn't be so bad knowing people like you no longer exist.
    IselinBlacklabelcali