Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Fallout game is best of these 3

Comments

• RookieSmasher4000RookieSmasher4000 Member CommonPosts: 2
    I'd rather play FO2 and Wasteland2, but given a choice FO New Vegas out of those three all day every day
  • nupalauknupalauk Member CommonPosts: 7
    Fallout 3
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I haven't got the DLCs for Fallout 4 hoping Black Friday the season pass goes on sale.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited November 2018
    kitarad said:
    I haven't got the DLCs for Fallout 4 hoping Black Friday the season pass goes on sale.
    Most probably aren't worth it. They pissed me off by moving the ammo crafting table to one of the DLCs Wasteland Workshop so I did my best to avoid buying any.

Only one worth buying IMO is Far Harbor....
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:
    Most probably aren't worth it. They pissed me off by moving the ammo crafting table to one of the DLCs Wasteland Workshop so I did my best to avoid buying any.

I mod a lot so I need the full game with DLCs or the mods that usually ask for it won't work.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

kitarad said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

I mod a lot so I need the full game with DLCs or the mods that usually ask for it won't work.
    Better check, I think Bethesda put some sort of limitation on modding when they started offering them on their own and there was a huge downvoting of the game at the time.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

Better check, I think Bethesda put some sort of limitation on modding when they started offering them on their own and there was a huge downvoting of the game at the time.

I bought a GotY rollup version so it had the DLC. I'm glad I didn't buy in earlier. The DLCs are disappointing as an overall package. Contrast that to FarCry 5 which is pretty much how I dream of DLC dropping, or The Witcher 3 another DLC paragon.
    I wish I could pick and choose which DLC I want but if you go to Nexus and check the mods it says GOTY copy or the one with all the expansions. So I calculated and and it looks like buying the season pass is cheaper than buying each expansion separately. I'm such a dolt I bought Fallout 4 and then I never checked on the expansions whenever there was a sale. Wasted I tell you.
    cheyane[Deleted User]

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I put it like this:

Fallout 3 had a fantastic and mostly unforgettable set of side stories/quests.  Probably the best in the entire series.  The quest chains surrounding Tenpenny Tower was one of the first times a video game made me sit back and go "Wait... I caused that to happen?"

That being said, the the main story was a bit predictable, a little on-rails and had a conclusion that was a bit too stark for me.  But honestly, the rest of the game was so damned good, that I forgot about the main story entirely until I had literally run out of side quests to do.

Fallout NV had the best open world of the three and, by far, the best companions.  The available companions in the other titles pale in comparison to the wide ranging and fun to travel with NV companions.

NV also had the best main story.  If you can even call it that.  You can really do a lot with the main story in this game unlike in FO3 and FO4.  There are so many different branching choices with so many different endings that replay ability is extremely high and it doesn't feel artificial at all such as choosing a faction in FO4 felt.

If you love vault diving and finding out the lore behind all of the different vaults, then NV had the best ones of the series.  I love, almost more than anything, exploring a vault and finding out what happened to the occupants during their particular experiments.

Fallout 4 has the best crafting system of the three... by which I mean it actually has a crafting system while the others really didn't.  However, it feels to me as if everything else in the game received far less attention than the building and crafting part of the game.

The main story, for instance, I had figured out within minutes of the opening scenes.  I literally sat back and said to my wife... Oh dear lord, I already know how this ends and the game just started.  She had me tell her, and damned if I wasn't right.

Not only that, but the side stories were just as uninteresting as the main story, and the companions weren't all that compelling to be with.  I found myself not using one for most of the game.

In fact, I didn't so much play Fallout 4 as I played a tower defense game by trying to build settlements that couldn't be raided.

Boston was a boring city.  Far too many doors that couldn't be opened and buildings/houses that couldn't be explored for my tastes.  The game engine is seriously degraded and aging at this point and it's really showing.

Lastly, I never once had a "OMG, that's so fucking awesome!" moment like I had in both FO3 and FNV.  In my opinion, unless you just really want to play a settlement building simulator, then I'd skip FO4 altogether.
    ScorchienJeffSpicoli[Deleted User]
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    H0urg1ass said:
    I put it like this:

Fallout 3 had a fantastic and mostly unforgettable set of side stories/quests.  Probably the best in the entire series.  The quest chains surrounding Tenpenny Tower was one of the first times a video game made me sit back and go "Wait... I caused that to happen?"

That being said, the the main story was a bit predictable, a little on-rails and had a conclusion that was a bit too stark for me.  But honestly, the rest of the game was so damned good, that I forgot about the main story entirely until I had literally run out of side quests to do.

Fallout NV had the best open world of the three and, by far, the best companions.  The available companions in the other titles pale in comparison to the wide ranging and fun to travel with NV companions.

NV also had the best main story.  If you can even call it that.  You can really do a lot with the main story in this game unlike in FO3 and FO4.  There are so many different branching choices with so many different endings that replay ability is extremely high and it doesn't feel artificial at all such as choosing a faction in FO4 felt.

If you love vault diving and finding out the lore behind all of the different vaults, then NV had the best ones of the series.  I love, almost more than anything, exploring a vault and finding out what happened to the occupants during their particular experiments.

Fallout 4 has the best crafting system of the three... by which I mean it actually has a crafting system while the others really didn't.  However, it feels to me as if everything else in the game received far less attention than the building and crafting part of the game.

The main story, for instance, I had figured out within minutes of the opening scenes.  I literally sat back and said to my wife... Oh dear lord, I already know how this ends and the game just started.  She had me tell her, and damned if I wasn't right.

Not only that, but the side stories were just as uninteresting as the main story, and the companions weren't all that compelling to be with.  I found myself not using one for most of the game.

In fact, I didn't so much play Fallout 4 as I played a tower defense game by trying to build settlements that couldn't be raided.

Boston was a boring city.  Far too many doors that couldn't be opened and buildings/houses that couldn't be explored for my tastes.  The game engine is seriously degraded and aging at this point and it's really showing.

Lastly, I never once had a "OMG, that's so fucking awesome!" moment like I had in both FO3 and FNV.  In my opinion, unless you just really want to play a settlement building simulator, then I'd skip FO4 altogether.
    i settled on NV a while ago been having a great time with it
    H0urg1ass[Deleted User]PhryRobsolf
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I don't enjoy modding with Windows 10. I swear my windows 7 allowed like 30 to 40 mods and hardly crashed. I put like 10 on  New Vegas and it is crashing. I am pulling my hair out trying to get it to work I hope it works before I'm bald.
    Chamber of Chains
    Got it for 14 euros at GMG the season pass for Fallout 4 on Black Friday deal and there was an extra voucher applied for the discount. Nice!

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    H0urg1ass said:
    I put it like this:

I disagree.  I find the balance between RPG and shooter at its peak in FO4.  The side quests aren't uninteresting in my opinion, either; an example being the Cabot House and its alien artifact connection.  Of course, there are also the "dynamic" quests given by listening to things like Freedom Radio (Minutemen channel) where you'll randomly hear about a settlement needing some bad guys nearby cleared out, or has been attacked, etc..  Those are pretty generic, but can be good XP filler if you have most settlements visited (a quick fast travel and you're there).  I didn't expect those kind of randomly generated quests to be unique.

The main story is not grabbing me, but if I'm being honest: I don't remember the last time a Bethesda main story was the driving force behind my enjoyment of their games.  It's the world and all the folks in it going about their lives that makes them awe-inspiring.

The companions are okay in that some are bad, some are good.  Nick Valentine is a universal favorite.  Preston Garvey?  Pretty run of the mill good guy.

Fallout 4 is the only one of the franchise that I feel like the actual combat isn't a chore.  In my opinion, that makes up for the randomly generated content.

edited November 2018
    H0urg1ass said:
    I put it like this:

I'd be curious how you think FO4 ended, or rather which ending you chose?

You can ping me a private tell if concerned about spoilers. Pl

I've managed to pull off two endings so far, 3 if you count my "no ending" playthrough.

Funny thing,  on my fourth play through and I'm still finding locations I've never found before,  most notable is vault 75, totally missed it somehow previously.  
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]

edited November 2018
    Kyleran said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    I put it like this:

I've managed to pull off two endings so far, 3 if you count my "no ending" playthrough.

Funny thing,  on my fourth play through and I'm still finding locations I've never found before,  most notable is vault 75, totally missed it somehow previously.  
    Did you go into Vault 81?  And if you did, did you notice a very conspicuous young boy of, about, say, 10 years old, wearing a Vault 111 jumpsuit who tells you that the "Grandmother" raising him isn't his real grandparent and that he was told his parents "died when he was really little"?

Methinks Bethesda had a previous iteration of the main story they ended up dumping and retrofitting into a side quest. :D 
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

edited November 2018
    Kyleran said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    I put it like this:

Did you go into Vault 81?  And if you did, did you notice a very conspicuous young boy of, about, say, 10 years old, wearing a Vault 111 jumpsuit who tells you that the "Grandmother" raising him isn't his real grandparent and that he was told his parents "died when he was really little"?

Methinks Bethesda had a previous iteration of the main story they ended up dumping and retrofitting into a side quest. :D 
    Very interesting,  I recall the encounter somewhat, never noticed the child really, probably killed him or something as I hate kids in my games or Sci Fi programs.  

Haven't been to vault 81 in this play thru, guess I'll stop by and look for that encounter.

Does sound like they had another plan for the story line, or perhaps this was just a clever red herring to mislead our heroine.  

Yeah, I play female characters for the most part, and they are all "lesbians" when it comes to romantic encounters. 

;)
    MadFrenchieimmodium

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Kyleran said:

Yeah, I play female characters for the most part, and they are all "lesbians" when it comes to romantic encounters. 

;)
    Yeah, if I play a female character they are also lesbians (in any game I play)

Clearly there is a part of me that will always be a 16 year old boy. :(
    immodiumKyleranceratop001
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    I put it like this:

Very interesting,  I recall the encounter somewhat, never noticed the child really, probably killed him or something as I hate kids in my games or Sci Fi programs.  

Haven't been to vault 81 in this play thru, guess I'll stop by and look for that encounter.

Does sound like they had another plan for the story line, or perhaps this was just a clever red herring to mislead our heroine.  

;)
    He will offer to give you a tour of the Vault when you enter.  You can tell him to scram, which I'm assuming is what you probably did. :D 

I literally alt-tabbed to Google and see if I could find anything about him..  Kid's name in the game is Austin Engill.  I will screen shot his jumpsuit next time I'm in there if I can remember, because there's also screenshots of him showing the Vault 81 jumpsuit.  As such, it may be a bug of some sort.  Still, the facts around the boy coupled with a bug putting him the same vault as the Lone Survivor creates an interesting "wonder how that happened?" scenario.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited November 2018
    Fallout 3 

Pros: Awesome immersive world. 
    Cons: Boring story

Fallout NV:
    Pros: Awesome story, in fact best story of the 3 major bethesda created fallout games (and yeah fallout NV wasn't made by Bethesda, I know, but I mean bethesda "era" fallouts)
    Cons: Very linear world (you can tell because there is a circular path you follow as things start off easy to hard)

Fallout 4:
    Pros: Awesome world, lots to do, amazing building, fun gameplay, good gunplay for a fallout game
    Cons: Worse story than fallout 3, in fact worst story of any bethesda game as the story you HAVE to be a father/mother and **** that. its not even open either, the father is a war vet (or something in the military), the mother is a lawyer...most linear character development (in terms of roleplaying) of any bethesda game. Voice acting of player characters actually makes it WORSE.

Fallout 76:
    Pros: 
    Cons: Everything

Fallout 2:
    Pros: Amazing gameplay, amazing world, amazing story
    Cons: Its old

Fallout Tactics:
    Pros: 

Fallout 1:
    Pros: First fallout
    Cons: Might as well play fallout 2

KyleranAlBQuirky[Deleted User]

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• HuntrezzHuntrezz Member UncommonPosts: 92
    All 3 are solid options.  I think you will eventually play all 3 as they are all good, especially when you get a taste of one of them.  The only fallout game to avoid is fallout 76 imo.
    Fallout 3 

Pros: Awesome immersive world. 
    Cons: Boring story

Fallout NV:
    Pros: Awesome story, in fact best story of the 3 major bethesda created fallout games (and yeah fallout NV wasn't made by Bethesda, I know, but I mean bethesda "era" fallouts)
    Cons: Very linear world (you can tell because there is a circular path you follow as things start off easy to hard)

Fallout 4:
    Pros: Awesome world, lots to do, amazing building, fun gameplay, good gunplay for a fallout game
    Cons: Worse story than fallout 3, in fact worst story of any bethesda game as the story you HAVE to be a father/mother and **** that. its not even open either, the father is a war vet (or something in the military), the mother is a lawyer...most linear character development (in terms of roleplaying) of any bethesda game. Voice acting of player characters actually makes it WORSE.

Fallout 76:
    Pros: 

Fallout 2:
    Pros: Amazing gameplay, amazing world, amazing story
    Cons: Its old

Fallout Tactics:
    Pros: 

Fallout 1:
    Pros: First fallout
    Cons: Might as well play fallout 2

I dunno, in Fallout 4 I'm often role playing a murdering bastard, the back story is just a side bar which I've totally skipped on one play through.

• AlpacarulzAlpacarulz Member CommonPosts: 2
    My vote isFallout 76
    cheyaneIselinKyleranAlBQuirkyGobstopper3D[Deleted User]
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Fallout 3: Base game is just ok, but DLCs are awesome, all of them.
    Fallout NV: Excellent story, but boring map, it doesn't really make you want to explore. You can tell is made by Obsidian.
    Fallout 4: Fallout 3 + Base Building.

I personally like Fallout 3 DLCs, All of them are better than any official Fallout main story, even better than NV. Really engaging.

But since I am a sandboxer, Fallout 4 got it all. Might not be the best in all areas, but the Base Building itself adds many hours of fun on top of the normal gameplay.

Anyway if you can buy them all, do so.
    They are really good games (Just download the bug fixing mods. Required)
  • Gobstopper3DGobstopper3D Member RarePosts: 966
    IMO it's FO: New Vegas.  The others aren't even close.  It's the best of the group in terms of story/characters/game play.  Some really good mods as well to extend all those areas.  FO4 was too much pew pew and settlement building at the cost of story and characters.

I'm not an IT Specialist, Game Developer, or Clairvoyant in real life, but like others on here, I play one on the internet.

• gorichamdigorichamdi Member CommonPosts: 1
    i am sorry that i am posting it here .. but i couldnt find a create thread option!

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I feel like the first person shooter action I've grown up to enjoy is almost gone. The reason I say this is the business behind gaming has mutated it in my opinion, by splitting the genre with hero shooters and battle royale.

In 2016, the release of Overwatch was a HUGE success, splitting the fps market and causing a tidal wave of companies trying to copy their success, either trying to make class based shooters or just pure shooters adding classes into them so people interested in these mechanics may find interest. I enjoy overwatch, but it's not what I wanted it to be. I just never know when it's me doing bad or it's my team since there are so many factors to think about, and as dps I'm trying to focus on killing dudes, and sometimes the game just feels out of my hands. I don't mean to offend anyone, cause this is a good game, but at the end of the day, I'll only play it with friends.

Now days it's the battle royals craze, and that's taken shooters another step away... unlike the fast pace action, it seems you can spend 20 minutes in a game to get randomly headshot or hit super hard by something and you're done. I know there is plenty other things to enjoy, but the penalty of worrying solely about your survival makes fights feel anticlimactic and if I don't get good loot then I'm done and time to start all over. With fortnite on the never ending rise and all these shooters taking on the battle royale mask (COD, CSGO, battlefield), as well as steam being flooded with f2p battle royals hoping to make it, they also take away from the pure fps.

Idk if I'm just being super picky but with this split in the market I feel like I'm at a loss for what game I want to play... I currently play Quake champions and I never played Quake before but I love the mechanics and fast paced action. I can run into tdm and rush to catch multiple people off guard and get multikills, and not worry if my team isn't keeping up, and if it's not successful, I know if I get atleast 1 kill it's an equal value. I always know when I die what I can do next time or if I just need to aim as well as someone else, and there is still plenty of strategy knowing when to push and when to bait and how to keep the pace of the game, as well as positioning and weapon choice. So it's not like a "all aim no brain" thing, playing smart is still very important. I only use this as an example but I played tf2 and cod in my early years, but now days there is just so many gimmicks in cod you can't do anything about (being shocked inplace and not being able to do anything).

Idk if I'm alone on this but I wanna fast paced shooter to be popular and backed by a company that can support it, I love Quake but it's got a small community and people have kinda just seen performance issues and acted like if they touched it they'd be less cool and like "an old dad". Im just barely in my 20s but I feel like I'm having the "back in my day" rant. I don't mean to take anything away from the new kinds of shooters as they are hugely successful, and fun to play, just not my cup of tea.

Sorry for the essay

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Kyleran said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    I put it like this:

I wasn't ignoring this post, but I had a family emergency very near to posting this so I never got back to you on it.

I chose the "Kill the bastard" ending, if that's non-spoilery enough, and honestly, I only did one playthrough.  I picked the Railroad as my faction, and used the "disguise guy" as my companion most of the time (When I used a companion at all)... which is telling how bad the companions are since I can't even remember his name.

Maybe I'm biased too.  You see, I don't like exploring cities at all.  Just not my thing.  Even in FO:NV, I pretty much only did the bare minimum inside of Vegas and explored every last inch outside of it... and New Vegas is a much better city than FO4's Boston.

Boston is cold, grey and and more grey.  I also felt like I was playing a platformer in Boston.  Jump here, jump there, climb that thing, duck under here and fall through this crack and you'll find another vault!  Nope.  Not how I want to explore.

There's a lot of little reasons, but overall this game just didn't hit any of the right notes for me personally.

I had a way way wayyyy better time in Assassin Creed 3's Boston than I ever had in FO4's Boston.

All of that being said, I have 250 hours into FO4, which is higher than 80% of my steam library, so there was still enough there (Settlement Building) to keep me entertained on some level.
    [Deleted User]