Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Map voting announced

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Kyleran said:
    I'm unclear why it would be an issue for two servers to have the same map. (Or if it's even an issue. )

Understanding COE is hard.

:D 
    I'm in complete agreement here. Why not let every sever just get to vote on all 20 and get their pick regardless of the other severs choices?

My only guess is because they want cartographers to have at least some semblance of being necessary. If every sever had the same exact map and people uploaded maps to the internets... Well there goes your profession!

Also let's not forget, Ghettomaster can still trump in with the rest of his hard earned monies and buy all 5 of the best maps! Leaving the other two servers with options 5-15 to fight over

The map voting rules certainly leave a lot of room for strategy, which will be cool to watch how it all plays out.

For example, you can't change your vote once it has been cast. But lets say on Day 1, Ghettomaster votes for one map (maybe it's his favorite or least favorite, idk). Some of the other kingdoms team up to get that map and blow a ton of influence to out bid Ghettomaster's 400,000+ influence.

Then on day 11, Ghettomaster uses all of his other sparks of life (say he has 50), and splits his votes up to the maps that he really wants to win. Leaving only 1 of 50 votes on the original map. Fooling everyone!

I haven't quite worked out the master strategy yet lol, but you get the idea.
    NeutralEvil
    --------------------------------------------
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Kyleran said:
    I'm unclear why it would be an issue for two servers to have the same map. (Or if it's even an issue. )

I'm in complete agreement here. Why not let every sever just get to vote on all 20 and get their pick regardless of the other severs choices?

My only guess is because they want cartographers to have at least some semblance of being necessary. If every sever had the same exact map and people uploaded maps to the internets... Well there goes your profession!

Also let's not forget, Ghettomaster can still trump in with the rest of his hard earned monies and buy all 5 of the best maps! Leaving the other two servers with options 5-15 to fight over

The map voting rules certainly leave a lot of room for strategy, which will be cool to watch how it all plays out.

For example, you can't change your vote once it has been cast. But lets say on Day 1, Ghettomaster votes for one map (maybe it's his favorite or least favorite, idk). Some of the other kingdoms team up to get that map and blow a ton of influence to out bid Ghettomaster's 400,000+ influence.

Then on day 11, Ghettomaster uses all of his other sparks of life (say he has 50), and splits his votes up to the maps that he really wants to win. Leaving only 1 of 50 votes on the original map. Fooling everyone!

If the naming debacle is any issue, folks like Ghetto will try to vote maps away from others folks not because they necessarily want them for their own server in the end, but they just wanna piss off whales from other servers.
    Slapshot1188NeutralEvilWellspringKyleran

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    Kyleran said:

If the naming debacle is any issue, folks like Ghetto will try to vote maps away from others folks not because they necessarily want them for their own server in the end, but they just wanna piss off whales from other servers.
    I wouldn’t be surprised to see his Kingdom just hold off enmasse until the last day and then dump it all on whatever will piss off Malvourn the most.  Think that was the guy who’s name he tried to take.
    MadFrenchieWellspringNeutralEvil

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    edited October 2018
    I wouldn’t be surprised to see his Kingdom just hold off enmasse until the last day and then dump it all on whatever will piss off Malvourn the most.  Think that was the guy who’s name he tried to take.
    I would expect every kingdom to do that really. There is really no benefit at all to voting early. I suppose the tricking people may work, but dam risky. Over just voting in the last hour. The whole thing reminds me of poker. Do you wanna bluff it or just wait it out. I expect the only people that vote within the first few days. Will those not thinking about any kind of strategy/not caring or not with anyone.

For at least round 1. Round 2 being hidden. Makes little difference when anyone votes.
    Wellspring
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    Torrsk said:
    I would expect every kingdom to do that really. There is really no benefit at all to voting early. I suppose the tricking people may work, but dam risky. Over just voting in the last hour. The whole thing reminds me of poker. Do you wanna bluff it or just wait it out. I expect the only people that vote within the first few days. Will those not thinking about any kind of strategy/not caring or not with anyone.

For at least round 1. Round 2 being hidden. Makes little difference when anyone votes.
    I saw what I believe is your post in the official thread over there.  Good feedback.  If more were doing that I think we’d be in better shape

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:

I've already posted about having different maps on each server can and probably will cause the developers more work when it comes to patching this game.  I'm beginning to think that they believe that there won't be any mistakes, or unintentional exploits, or even any changes needed in the game, because they're so good.  Hubris in action that.  Maybe even hubris on overload, like a phaser in Star Trek.  Their opinion of themselves is likely to cause problems, and not just with harbingers and naysayers and critics and skeptics.

Slapshot1188

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

I saw what I believe is your post in the official thread over there.  Good feedback.  If more were doing that I think we’d be in better shape
    Haha thanks. I'm only surprised I wasn't downvoted or jumped more. Seems most think the opposite. Got in a few pointless arguments on discord about it as well. Not that I'm overly surprised at this rate. Though was surprised by the guy that was saying "That's what backing a KS gives you". Endless rewards? Nah I don't think so there mate. Or I'll wait for Ashes of Creation to start throwing out heaps of crap at me. Nah they are just too busy really making the game.
    Gdemami
    Map voting is live. Sure it was annoying to see it was delayed 7 hours, for reasons. But either way, look at these boring maps. 
    https://chroniclesofelyria.com/map-voting
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Interesting to see maps H and T as clear early leaders,  any guess as to why?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Which server? 

But seems crap all people have voted so far. Someone with a nice amount of IP voted and saw the bar move up crazy high. 

I would make a guess anyone voting now, either isn't with anyone or doesn't really care what they get. So while it looks some maps have massive leads. Doubt it's anything much really.
  • KathyDarlingKathyDarling Member CommonPosts: 6
    Kyleran said:
    Hard to say exactly. I think T might be advantageous to a certain Kingdom (or two Kingdoms as it were). Both maps have less of a bottleneck than others. H has water in the middle which might be nice for some.
    Torrsk said:
    Kyleran said:
    Which server? 

But seems crap all people have voted so far. Someone with a nice amount of IP voted and saw the bar move up crazy high. 

I would make a guess anyone voting now, either isn't with anyone or doesn't really care what they get. So while it looks some maps have massive leads. Doubt it's anything much really.
    Whoops, NA East was the one I was looking at.

Will be interesting to see how it all changes in the waning days.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Am I seeing them right, none of the maps have islands?

Just like my complaint with excluding continent maps from being a choice for the oceanic server,  why no archipelago option for the others?
  • NeutralEvilNeutralEvil Member UncommonPosts: 108

Just like my complaint with excluding continent maps from being a choice for the oceanic server,  why no archipelago option for the others?
    It's because all the other servers are choosing "the starting continent"

There are other land masses/islands/continents to discover in game
    Wellspring

It's because all the other servers are choosing "the starting continent"

There are other land masses/islands/continents to discover in game
    Oh that's cool then. 

While there are no islands duchy size. With that scale, be impossible to see any county/few counties big islands. Which very much could be the case. Of course I wouldn't hold my breath either. Higher chance for the OCE map to have such islands. 

I would have liked all maps to have some big (duchy size) islands off the coast. Just to mix things up, more than anything else. Though I only plan to have some alt on NA. Not really a fan of any of the maps. Would have rather more kingdoms in conflict with each other. Not basically having to fight through other kingdoms. While they could boat around, gaining land so far away, without a land trade route. Doesn't seem the best idea.
    edited October 2018
    @Torrsk, your posts are remarkably insightful and rational for a COE noble,  if we ever get to play this game I might look you up to see about joining.

Of course I realize the same can't be said about my posts, but what can you expect from a harbinger?   B)

Glad to have you here.

Slapshot1188Gdemami

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    I'm a bit disappointed they all have a similar shape but I would assume (hope) that's the plan
  • InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236

Good point, while I realise they are only using one continent, the early example they showed had a far more interesting look. Which included islands.

WellspringKyleranNilden
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Really guys.  Islands would be nice, but who really trusts these developers to create boats that work in the world?  No boats, no warfare against that kingdom and warfare against other kingdoms seems to be the primary goal of the actual game.   Other companies have tried and failed to deliver boats in games that weren't nearly as ambitious.  How much longer would naval combat add to the development time?

Wellspring

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    Really guys.  Islands would be nice, but who really trusts these developers to create boats that work in the world?  No boats, no warfare against that kingdom and warfare against other kingdoms seems to be the primary goal of the actual game.   Other companies have tried and failed to deliver boats in games that weren't nearly as ambitious.  How much longer would naval combat add to the development time?

Especially since the mounted combat stretch goal never got unlocked, I can't imagine naval combat being a priority.

Unless it was included in the base $900k game? :wink:
    Kyleran
    @Kyleran Wasn't always the case. Was only at the start of the year, I thought this whole website was a troll website. Which is how most view it. But a few of the choices SBS has made, never sat well with me. Though it's really this forum that opened my eyes, everyone making critical, well thought out posts. Compared to the CoE forums, where it's mostly "you guys are awesome" on everything. 

CoE forums/discord may not be an echo chamber on the level that star citizens forums are. But it's slowly getting there. I personally hate you can't see who upvotes/downvotes. Could be one group doing it, who knows. Someone last night comment in discord they didn't like their vote was meaningless, low IP person. They got jumped hard and fast. People made sure that person wouldn't talk again. Which even if people feel that person is wrong, they never handle a different view the right way. 

Where here, having some random LOL at half my posts. It's some random I don't know, unlike if there I could get -10 from who knows. If I could see the names, could be the same thing "Oh a bunch of nobodies too gutless to comment."

Onto the map voting. I'm honestly amazed it was delayed, then it still wasn't finished. There should be duchy lines added to be the map. Which looking now, still has not been added. I would have thought when they announce map voting is coming, it's 100% complete, by the time of that post. Seems the smarter way to do things. That way they never miss any deadline/date they set themselves and everyone is happy overall. Unless some bug was to happen at the last second, but it always seems like they just never set themselves enough time.
    KyleranAnOldFartGdemamiLokero
  • InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    Actually map E has either an island or a very skinny land bridge on it's Northern coast.  But boats must be in game in some fashion. Because of the smaller population, the Oceania server is being granted a special selection of 5 archipelago-style maps.  Without boats how do players interact with each other?
    Interitus said:
    Actually map E has either an island or a very skinny land bridge on it's Northern coast.  But boats must be in game in some fashion. Because of the smaller population, the Oceania server is being granted a special selection of 5 archipelago-style maps.  Without boats how do players interact with each other?
    Caspian commented on E, it's still just connected by land. Still awesome spot, probably a duchy big.

There is boats in the game, had a sale on them awhile back. Basic boats, the starting tech will be coastline boats. Nothing worthy of ocean travel. But much as there is mounts in game, there isn't mounted combat. While mounted combat was at least planned and it said to come in the game at some point. I doubt naval combat would ever come in or at least not for several years. Have not heard anyone talk about it or even ask about it either. Which is somewhat curious really. Maybe I will make a post on it... and watch it get ignored like any thread I make.
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    edited October 2018
    Torrsk said:
    @Kyleran Wasn't always the case. Was only at the start of the year, I thought this whole website was a troll website. Which is how most view it. But a few of the choices SBS has made, never sat well with me. Though it's really this forum that opened my eyes, everyone making critical, well thought out posts. Compared to the CoE forums, where it's mostly "you guys are awesome" on everything. 

CoE forums/discord may not be an echo chamber on the level that star citizens forums are. But it's slowly getting there. I personally hate you can't see who upvotes/downvotes. Could be one group doing it, who knows. Someone last night comment in discord they didn't like their vote was meaningless, low IP person. They got jumped hard and fast. People made sure that person wouldn't talk again. Which even if people feel that person is wrong, they never handle a different view the right way. 

Where here, having some random LOL at half my posts. It's some random I don't know, unlike if there I could get -10 from who knows. If I could see the names, could be the same thing "Oh a bunch of nobodies too gutless to comment."

Onto the map voting. I'm honestly amazed it was delayed, then it still wasn't finished. There should be duchy lines added to be the map. Which looking now, still has not been added. I would have thought when they announce map voting is coming, it's 100% complete, by the time of that post. Seems the smarter way to do things. That way they never miss any deadline/date they set themselves and everyone is happy overall. Unless some bug was to happen at the last second, but it always seems like they just never set themselves enough time.
    I came here a while back, defended Coe and was a dick. 

I admit it and I admit I was wrong. 

I now come here for a breakdown of Coe from someone not just echoing how great it is.

I hate the down voting system in coe forums and will up vote someone if I think they are unfairly downvoted
    Post edited by AnOldFart on
    KyleranTorrsk