Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Map voting announced

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited October 2018
    Am I the only one who finds this pay for "advantage" label nonsense stupid? It's either pay 2 win or it's not in my book. Which I'm sure you don't need me to tell you which one I think CoE is. 
    Perhaps, I find labeling every advantage as "winning" to be ignorant, precision in language is actually important.

Look at how many struggle with terms such as MMO or sandbox.

JamesGoblinmystichazeUngoodNeutralEvilConstantineMerusAnOldFartInteritusGdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Kyleran said:
    Am I the only one who finds this pay for "advantage" label nonsense stupid? It's either pay 2 win or it's not in my book. Which I'm sure you don't need me to tell you which one I think CoE is. 
    Perhaps, I find labeling every advantage as "winning" to be ignorant, precision in language is actually important.

Words mean what I want them to mean at the time I want them to mean it and if you don't agree with my opinion, you are factually wrong.
    JamesGoblinKyleranConstantineMerusAnOldFart
  • kaladek51kaladek51 Member UncommonPosts: 65

JamesGoblinNeutralEvilDakeru
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    kaladek51 said:

Centauri: the only space-faring race that never developed a barber college.
    NeutralEvilAnOldFart

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

edited October 2018
    Kyleran said:

Words mean what I want them to mean at the time I want them to mean it and if you don't agree with my opinion, you are factually wrong.
    Actually your personal opinion of what a word means actually has little to do with what it represents, which is a fact.

Opinions can't be wrong but can be ill-formed, incoherent or based on ignorance, willful or otherwise. 
    NeutralEvilTorrskConstantineMerusAnOldFartGdemamiLokero

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Kyleran said:

Yup...

I kinda gave up on even entertaining P2W cries when I was playing GW2, and people called Mount Skins P2W, not mounts, but purely cosmetic skins, they called P2W, that just totally killed the term for me. Like.. not even gonna bother.

So yes.. very much so precision in language is important, or the terms themselves become meaningless.
    NeutralEvilAnOldFartGdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Kyleran said:

Perhaps this needs its own topic, but I'll respond briefly. 

I'm not saying label every advantage as P2W at all. My point is that the label "pay for advantage" has no significant meaning.  

Either the advantage is so minor that it doesn't result in a real advantage at all and isn't classified as P2W. Or the advantage is significant and is considered P2W. So call it what it is, P2W or not P2W. 

This whole pay for advantage thing came about because there was disagreement on what "winning" was in an MMO. And "advantage" was a less harsh word to hear. So now everything is being called "pay for advantage" but the word has no real informative value and dilutes things that are actually P2W. 

For example, buying votes for the map selection may give an advantage to some kingdoms (arguably), but in the context of the final game, I personally (based on what I've read so far) wouldn't consider it P2W.
    NeutralEvil
    --------------------------------------------
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    I use Pay for Advantage to avoid getting dragged into a rabbit hole in every thread by people who want to debate what "winning" is as opposed to addressing the actual issue being discussed.
    WellspringSpottyGekkoGdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

I use Pay for Advantage to avoid getting dragged into a rabbit hole in every thread by people who want to debate what "winning" is as opposed to addressing the actual issue being discussed.
    Again, there is this debate on what it means to "win" (by "advantage") in an MMO. However, what do you call it when there is no MMO?
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    When it comes to CoE, I am really am still very much on the fence on the whole Advantage thing, because all of these "advantages" are shared, they are no solitary.

Like for example: a Player buys a Kingdom, which includes an amount of infrastructure like, Roads, Bridges, Buildings, and Natural Resources like Rivers, Trees, Etc, that everyone else in that kingdom gets access to, free of charge, IE: They do not need to pay real money for it. So this King is shelling out Real Cash, for an Advantage that ALL of the citizens get to reap.

Unlike say, Buying a ChainMaile Bikini that keeps their personal nether regions protected from a crotch shot.

However, more people would view buying the Kingdom as P2W, then the Bikini, yet, the Kingdom is a shared investment whereas the bikini is a personal advantage.

Same with this voting for land domain or whatever the hell it turns out to be, I imagine that the King or Queen that gets first pick, which they will pay cash out of pocket for, will opt to go for a ideal plot of land with better natural defenses and more abundant resources, an in doing so, they will confer that Advantage to all their citizens, Everyone Down the Line, from their Nobel's, to city counsel members right down to the pig farmer and peasant, all will be able reap that reward as well, even if they didn't pay a cent of real money for it.

Sure the "King" and other nobel's as well as other positions will be able to charge taxes, which is their right, no matter how they managed to obtain the crown, nor how much they spent to give an advantage to their people. As such, all the money these Monarchs are spending past the purchase of the Crown itself is really money they are giving to their citizens to ensure they have a better place to live.

In that vein, they seem truly Nobel, and worthy of the title.
    mystichazeAnOldFart
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

What people are failing to consider here is that when all is said and done, the only one who is going to benefit from any "paid-for" advantage is Caspian.
    KyleranWellspringGdemami
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    ConstantineMerus said:8has 
    Can someone please bring me up to speed, does all of this boil down to game having a P2W aspect? Or is there something else going on?
    Yes! No! Maybe so?

As these "maps" don't really exist, nor much of anything else we've seen it is difficult to predict if one map will provide any real advantage from a gameplay or strategic advantage.

It clearly is PFA (Pay for advantage) in terms of those who have the most influence (mostly from paying more) will get to decide what map a server has.

So it's one way to "win" but unlikely to impact the average player. 
    Well, they have caused needless drama then. They could've just added something like "special council" ring and only people with influence could join. What's with all the silly voting then?

If you don't want to consider every opinion just do it as a good old monarch, don't roleplay a democracy--that one was for you Slap! ;)
    KyleranGdemami
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Well, they have caused needless drama then. They could've just added something like "special council" ring and only people with influence could join. What's with all the silly voting then?
    I think it's too drag things out, while keeping the community active. It's like the plague event. It turned out to be completely pointless. But it kept everyone active and really just distracted. Much like this whole event. I really doubt the maps will be that different overall. While even SBS has said, there is no bad map. So the point? Doing this event, no one is really complaining about how nothing is happening. Like when pre-alpha is ever going to hit, when alpha 1 is even coming out. It's a smart game plan really. Put all these pointless events in here. Makes the community feel like stuff is getting done, but really, it's just the illusion. Funny in one way, how easy it is to control the sheep.
    Slapshot1188Gdemami
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Torrsk said:
    I think it's too drag things out, while keeping the community active. It's like the plague event. It turned out to be completely pointless. But it kept everyone active and really just distracted. Much like this whole event. I really doubt the maps will be that different overall. While even SBS has said, there is no bad map. So the point? Doing this event, no one is really complaining about how nothing is happening. Like when pre-alpha is ever going to hit, when alpha 1 is even coming out. It's a smart game plan really. Put all these pointless events in here. Makes the community feel like stuff is getting done, but really, it's just the illusion. Funny in one way, how easy it is to control the sheep.
    I agree that it's a distraction technique and tbh a good one at that, but since I don't follow Coe as I depth anymore these distractions don't bother me. 

Yes I played the searing plague event, purely to get additional free packages to give away (mostly to friends but someone here benefitted)

I don't agree that map selection is pointless, being involved in selecting the world you may play on is great, so is seeing the world map. 

But
    As someone pointed out if CoE is not released its pointless. 
    Gdemami
    edited October 2018
    AnOldFart said:
    Torrsk said:
    I agree that it's a distraction technique and tbh a good one at that, but since I don't follow Coe as I depth anymore these distractions don't bother me. 

Yes I played the searing plague event, purely to get additional free packages to give away (mostly to friends but someone here benefitted)

I don't agree that map selection is pointless, being involved in selecting the world you may play on is great, so is seeing the world map. 

But
    If that is the final outcome then I think we can all agree it will have been Pay to Lose.

Also if you think being involved in map selection is great, are you disappointed that very likely your vote has little to no impact compared to some others?

;)
    ConstantineMerus

edited October 2018
    Ungood said:
    When it comes to CoE, I am really am still very much on the fence on the whole Advantage thing, because all of these "advantages" are shared, they are no solitary.

Like for example: a Player buys a Kingdom, which includes an amount of infrastructure like, Roads, Bridges, Buildings, and Natural Resources like Rivers, Trees, Etc, that everyone else in that kingdom gets access to, free of charge, IE: They do not need to pay real money for it. So this King is shelling out Real Cash, for an Advantage that ALL of the citizens get to reap.

Unlike say, Buying a ChainMaile Bikini that keeps their personal nether regions protected from a crotch shot.

However, more people would view buying the Kingdom as P2W, then the Bikini, yet, the Kingdom is a shared investment whereas the bikini is a personal advantage.

Same with this voting for land domain or whatever the hell it turns out to be, I imagine that the King or Queen that gets first pick, which they will pay cash out of pocket for, will opt to go for a ideal plot of land with better natural defenses and more abundant resources, an in doing so, they will confer that Advantage to all their citizens, Everyone Down the Line, from their Nobel's, to city counsel members right down to the pig farmer and peasant, all will be able reap that reward as well, even if they didn't pay a cent of real money for it.

Sure the "King" and other nobel's as well as other positions will be able to charge taxes, which is their right, no matter how they managed to obtain the crown, nor how much they spent to give an advantage to their people. As such, all the money these Monarchs are spending past the purchase of the Crown itself is really money they are giving to their citizens to ensure they have a better place to live.

In that vein, they seem truly Nobel, and worthy of the title.

You are so very close to understanding the logic Caspian has been using to sell this whole concept which is why it's not surprising who agreed with you, they view themselves as some sort of noble servant of people. 

Yet like all rulers they really are manipulating the populace for their own self serving interests, even in the real world "evil" tyrants have done "good" things for their populace,  i.e. Cuba's education system, but this doesn't make them "noble."

In North Korea the "masses" can be seen wildly cheering their leader on, yet those of us on the outside say to ourselves, "wait, wut?" (Same goes for present US leadership I suppose) :)

Eerily similar parallel with COE (or other KSer games) where the fans really don't question the leadership, and vigorously defend actions (or inactions) those not so invested cannot fathom.

While the money spent might benefit the populace somewhat, doesn't change the fact they begin the game with significant advantage, regardless whether or not they can hold on to.it.

Caspian even said one reason for weighting the voting as he did was to give preference to those with the most to lose,  so it makes sense to let them have the greater say.

If you are invested in this game for but a pittance, your opinion matters very little. Heck he wasn't even willing to give the recently created free accounts a token amount of influence,  say like one or even ten, which might have made those folks feel like they were part of things.

Instead they are total outsiders with no more relevance than any non customer which is yet another failure by Caspian to really understand how players think.

Post edited by Kyleran on
    ConstantineMerusGdemamiUngood

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited October 2018
    An even shorter counter to the idea that these whales are "Noble": those kingdoms would exist even if they hadn't paid for them.  The entire game revolves around these kingdoms and the taking of the said kingdoms and resulting intrigue between kingdoms.  Without the actual kingdoms, with all the castles, roads, etc. In the game....  There is no game.

The "nobles" didn't create these kingdoms for the good of their fellow players.  They merely bought assurance that they'll be in the most advantageous position within one of the kingdoms that would inevitably be in the game.
    KyleranMendelGdemami

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Torrsk said:
    ... Funny in one way, how easy it is to control the sheep.
    When the sheep want to be controlled, it's a piece of cake, lol

The backers all want to believe, as long as Mr. Walsh can spin them a good story, they'll lap it up and ask for more. And he certainly can spin good stories...
    Slapshot1188KyleranAnOldFartTorrsk
    Kyleran said:
    AnOldFart said:
    Torrsk said:

But
    If that is the final outcome then I think we can all agree it will have been Pay to Lose.

Also if you think being involved in map selection is great, are you disappointed that very likely your vote has little to no impact compared to some others?

;)
    Disappointed, I'm furious, the eu Kingdoms are banding together to vote as a block meaning my vote now counts for Jack s**t
    Kyleran
    AnOldFart said:
    Kyleran said:
    AnOldFart said:
    Torrsk said:

But

;)
    Disappointed, I'm furious, the eu Kingdoms are banding together to vote as a block meaning my vote now counts for Jack s**t
    Time for a CoExit?
    ConstantineMerusKyleran

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    AnOldFart said:
    Gotta say, surprising those EU kingdoms could band together for anything. Unless the drama has finally stopped. They seemed to come across like they utterly hated one another. Was always a good laugh when some new drama post popped up. With them basically insulting one another.

But really unless someone is a duke+ or IP of one. Votes from anyone lower counted for crap all anyway. I would expect. NAE map will be decided by Vornair. NAW is a bit up in the air. But wouldn't be surprised if Ashland or BH picked it. OCE has two kingdoms on very friendly terms, they will vote together. While can only take your word on EU. But very possible whatever kingdom Ghettomaster is from, that would do the picking. All of the above is assuming the kingdoms can really control their followers to vote the same way.

Like I said before, it's the illusion there is really any kind of vote going on. Reminds me of those walking dead games. You think your choices matter. But really it's basically the same outcome no matter what you pick along the way.
    Kyleran
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    AnOldFart said:
    Kyleran said:
    AnOldFart said:
    Torrsk said:

But

;)
    Hey, trust in your Nobles !

You know they only have the best intentions for the health and happiness of their subjects ! ;)

Tbh, I don't know what all the fuss is about. If you've chosen to be a peasant in a game that simulates medieval society, then you have to accept that you have no power or rights. At all...
    AnOldFart said:
    Kyleran said:
    AnOldFart said:
    Torrsk said:

But

;)

You know they only have the best intentions for the health and happiness of their subjects ! ;)

Tbh, I don't know what all the fuss is about. If you've chosen to be a peasant in a game that simulates medieval society, then you have to accept that you have no power or rights. At all...
    Who said I was a peasant? 
    AnOldFart said:
    AnOldFart said:
    Kyleran said:
    AnOldFart said:
    Torrsk said:

But

;)

If you aren’t GhettoMaster we are all Peasants.
    AnOldFart

AnOldFart said:
    AnOldFart said:
    Kyleran said:
    AnOldFart said:
    Torrsk said:

But

;)

If you aren’t GhettoMaster we are all Peasants.
    Even he bows to the will of the "Mad Overlord."