Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For God and Country

From what I've read there will be 4 nations you can be a part of:

Great Britain

Spain

France

Pirate

Well what about the Dutch.  The Dutch had several colonial possessions in the Caribbean during this era.. as so did the Portuguese, Swedish, and even the Danes.  However I think this game takes place in the late 17th century to the early 18th century (1650-1750), thus the Danish, Swedish, and Portuguese are out of the Caribbean.. but still the Dutch are around.

Does anyone know if the Dutch are going to be included?

Also, does religion have anything to do in this game.  You of course would have the Catholic nations of Spain and France.. and the Protestant nations of Britain and Netherlands (if included).  A lot of the wars during this time were a result of religious differences and spread from Europe to the New World.  Will there also be the inclusion of Creole cults like for example Voudou or Santeria?  I think religious conflict could add a lot to this game.

Comments

• ArrunArrun Member Posts: 12

No word yet on whether the Neatherlands will be included, but I am guessing not at this point. They may add it later as an expansion nation.

I am also not sure you will be able to creat a pirate nation. I would hope you could cause that is what me and my friends really want to do. I would hope you are not just on your own as a pirate, but can actually band together and for nations under your Pirate flag.

• IijsIijs Member Posts: 457

Nope. No Netherlands players. At least not officially. If you want to roleplay a Dutch captain sailing under a French, Spanish, French or Pirate flag, that is up to you. There's a Dutch guild (St. Martens) intending to join the French.

The time period is 1720 (to start), with some flexibility allowed in ship designs. Dutch will be in-game in the form of NPCs (in ports, not sure about Dutch NPC ships. Probably though).

The idea was THREE nation conflict was ideal and Dutch were simply 'odd man out.' Check out the PotBS website, you'll see a strong Dutch presence among forum members.

Pirates can band together, eventually raiding ports, but unlike the THREE nations, you cannot hold a port. Just ransack, pillage, loot, burn, then vanish into the night. Pirates will have their own friendly ports.
    (Pirates can't attack pirates)

• QwertykeyQwertykey Member Posts: 23

The Dutch will be NPC players, you can't really play for the Dutch, which I think was a bad choice, the Dutch were the ecenomic leaders of the world at this time. Anyway, the game takes place around 1720. As far as I know the Portugese were still around, though more out of the heart of the Carribbean, and out more in South America. Though, they were pretty much powerless to the Spainish, French, Engligh, and Dutch. The reign or Portugese major world power was a bit earlier, around the Renissance (If I spelt that right)

Cannibalistic cows eat cows.
    Cannibalistic people eat people.
    Cannibalistic cannibals eat cannibals.
    So why are there cannibals?

• KalvynKalvyn Member Posts: 56
    Heh...I laughed when I read through this. I think about 90% of the playerbase is gonna choose pirates. image
  • QwertykeyQwertykey Member Posts: 23

Generally when I play pirate games, I play as a merchant to what ever extent possible, which I guess is why I am one of the few people who like to play Port Royal 2 more then Sid Meier's Pirates (Sid Meier's Pirates - the insane number of bugs) but anyway yes I believe most will play as Pirates too.

I though, as someone who is usaually a trader, would have jumped on to sail with the Dutch. Unfortunatly this isn't a choice made aviable. So I try to decide Spainish or English, who to pick? Well I like the Spainish women, so I guess I'll go with that. ::::39::

Cannibalistic cows eat cows.
    Cannibalistic people eat people.
    Cannibalistic cannibals eat cannibals.
    So why are there cannibals?

• KalvynKalvyn Member Posts: 56
    Yeah, Merchants are always fun. Pirate merchants are better! image And besides, what's a pirate game without merchants? No booty... image