Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting read about China/hardware manufacturing

WizardryWizardry Member EpicPosts: 15,214
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/4/17937210/bloomberg-china-microchip-hack-supermicro-amazon-apple-servers

If i am understanding this right,there is a massive risk of takeover and backdoor entry into systems designed over seas.
They implant a chip or chips that allow some business somewhere to access the hardware and bypass security.

As long as inflation exists so badly over here,businesses will keep buying and assembling over seas for way cheaper costs.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Gorwe

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 5,916
    I'm trying to come up with a good response, but I can't think of one. I think the good news is most of the components in my machine are made in Taiwan, Malaysia, or South Korea. But... major companies that supply big businesses and data centers do use China. Just a quick list, Apple, HP, Amazon, Microsoft, and Google all use facilities in China.
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 5,456
    Cleffy said:
    I'm trying to come up with a good response, but I can't think of one. I think the good news is most of the components in my machine are made in Taiwan, Malaysia, or South Korea. But... major companies that supply big businesses and data centers do use China. Just a quick list, Apple, HP, Amazon, Microsoft, and Google all use facilities in China.
    Exactly. And what happens if DJ pisses off China? No, they won't go to war, why would they? They'll simply crush the American econ by putting exorbitant tariffs AND by allowing hackers free entry onto every big wig server that's important to America. Now, if isn't that scary?
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member RarePosts: 1,515
    Cleffy said:
    It does make building your own rig, and knowing where your parts and software come from, even more attractive than it already was.

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

• Lisajohny543Lisajohny543 Member CommonPosts: 6
    Cleffy said:

Agree with you.