Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World: Open, Full-Loot PvP?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 2,361
Wait, wait.  Is this another attempt at an involuntary, open-world PvP, full-loot MMO?  Is that possible?  If so, when are developers going to learn that 99% of those MMOs die a painful, early death because they appeal primarily to gankers?  Why do they always think their game is going to be the magical exception?  Do they think that they're going to be the ones to develop the ideal justice system that players can't exploit?

Please tell me that my impressions are wrong, and that PvP is going to be in contested areas only, or otherwise voluntary.
Octagon7711craftseekerMaurgrimArteriusbcbullyMrMelGibson

Comments

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 19,739
    edited October 2018
    Amazon is hoping for high twitch streaming of all their games.

That's why it's a PvP game because those are the most watched games by far on Twitch - just look at the top 5 streams every day.

The question remains if they succeed - but make no mistake the first people who have been playing this since Alpha are all twitch influencers as you have to get the popular streamers on board first.

Post edited by DMKano on
    NephethKyleranOctagon7711LorgarnGobstopper3DTokkend_20
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 2,361
    edited October 2018
    DMKano said:

That's why it's a PvP game because those are the most watched games by far on Twitch - just look at the top 5 streams every day.

The question remains if they succeed - but make no mistake the first people who have been playing this since Alpha are all twitch influencers as you have to get the popular streamers on board first.

Maybe I'm just totally out of touch with what MMO players want now.  I mean, I understand open PvP and full-loot in games that last 30 minutes.  There isn't much time or effort invested in what you lose.  But do people want that in a game that they would build their resources in for potentially months, or years?  Maybe they do.  They haven't historically, though, right?  Am I missing a major MMO that had these aspects for all players?

Post edited by MightyUnclean on
    YashaX
    edited October 2018
    DMKano said:

Maybe I'm just totally out of touch with what MMO players want now.  I mean, I understand open PvP and full-loot in games that last 30 minutes.  There isn't much time or effort invested in what you lose.  But do people want that in a game that they would build their resources in for potentially months, or years?  Maybe they do.  They haven't historically, though, right?  Am I missing a major MMO that had these aspects for all players?

Don't think of this game as a MMO with longterm goals that can be easily lost forever, what many are missing is how easy is it to recover from a death and gear loss?

Again - The New Wold is a hybrid game that has MMO elements but also elements of short-session PvP survival games.

Imagine Ninja with 100k viewers dying in this game and then it takes him 2 weeks of PvE crafting and gathering to get back all his stuff - nobody would watch that.

Amazon has no interest in building a traditional MMORPG with super slow PvE only progression that is as fun watching other people play as  watching paint dry

Bottom line:

Amazon wants huge following on Twitch for all of their games
    PvP games have the biggest twitch followers
    This is why "watchable PvP" is a key feature of all Amazon titles
    Don't expect any of their games to be "traditional MMORPGs" with slow PvE progression and PvE focus
    Post edited by DMKano on
    CazrielKylerancraftseekerd_20YashaX
  • MisterZebubMisterZebub Not In ESOMember EpicPosts: 3,127
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:

Don't think of this game as a MMO with longterm goals that can be easily lost forever, what many are missing is how easy is it to recover from a death and gear loss?

Again - The New Wold is a hybrid game that has MMO elements but also elements of short-session PvP survival games.

Amazon has no interest in building a traditional MMORPG with super slow PvE only progression that is as fun watching other people play as  watching paint drying.

Bottom line:

Don't expect any of their games to be "traditional MMORPGs" with slow PvE progression and PvE focus
    Sounds pretty good to me, though I'm one of the curmudgeonly old bastards who could give two shits about twitch streams. As long as the game and PVP is fun without too much grind I'm sure I'll give it a go.
    Octagon7711craftseekerYashaXMrMelGibson

“Prisons are built with stones of Law, Brothels with bricks of Religion”

DMKano said:
    DMKano said:

Amazon has no interest in building a traditional MMORPG with super slow PvE only progression that is as fun watching other people play as  watching paint drying.

Bottom line:

Sounds pretty good to me, though I'm one of the curmudgeonly old bastards who could give two shits about twitch streams. As long as the game and PVP is fun without too much grind I'm sure I'll give it a go.

PvP without too much grind - yep, I think you should be good to go.

Now of course the game itself will have to turn out good and worthy of playing - and that's the difficult part. 
    MisterZebubOctagon7711d_20Arterius
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Algo Star SystemMember EpicPosts: 3,372
    edited October 2018
    There isn't anything watchable about it.

The combat is so @$$, and it doesn't have many redeemable qualities beyond the gathering. It's like watching paint dry.

It's clear what their intentions are and it was never to create some MMORPG/Survival Mashup in a occult setting. It's a survival MMO tech demo for Lumberyard.
    Post edited by FlyByKnight on
    Signex
    Raging Demons for all flowchart "Kens". This is a metaphor.
  • CazrielCazriel San Francisco, CAMember UncommonPosts: 380
    I'm sure it will have a huge following for the first three months.  Then all the PvE players who have other games with friendlier mechanics will leave.  Six months in all the PvE players who were determined to stick it out will leave.  A year in, all the PvP players will have departed for other venues.

But glad to hear it will be a hit on Twitch. 
    craftseekerk61977
    Cazriel said:
    I'm sure it will have a huge following for the first three months.  Then all the PvE players who have other games with friendlier mechanics will leave.  Six months in all the PvE players who were determined to stick it out will leave.  A year in, all the PvP players will have departed for other venues.

But glad to hear it will be a hit on Twitch. 

If they manage to make the core game decent - Amazon can strongarm this into a mega hit with pure marketing dollars.

Example - pay all top streamers to play New World during all prime time hours - Amazon can afford to do this for weeks if not months and push their way into the top.

Huge marketing funds can do wonders as far as gaining major traction with the playerbase

But for any of this to work - the base game must be good enough - doesn't have to be great or amazing - just good enough to get masses to gobble it up like they did Fortnite
    KyleranOctagon7711d_20YashaX
  • cheyanecheyane EarthMember EpicPosts: 5,980
    I can totally get why a twitch player might play if he is being paid to play but a normal player would not play unless they find it fun not because it is popular surely or do people play games just because they are popular.

Well if your friends play you will play too is the obvious answer but personally I would not play a game unless it is fun for me.
    d_20
  • wielkipwielkip Member CommonPosts: 13
    Full loot PVP is the best what they can do. The game with full loot PVP are not P2W because you need to have a skill.
  • KinringKinring Member UncommonPosts: 99
    edited October 2018
    There isn't anything watchable about it.

The combat is so @$$, and it doesn't have many redeemable qualities beyond the gathering. It's like watching paint dry.

The combat is very bland so far, HOWEVER, it is also very far from finished. Half of the combat isn't even implemented yet. It is there, and we can see that it will be trainable, but its not activated yet. I would chill out about the combat as that is something they are likely waiting until beta (or a later stage of alpha) to implement/work on. 

The gathering and crafting system seems to be the focus so far, and I must admit that I am pleasantly surprised at how polished it is at this early stage. It still needs more depth, and it still needs tweaking, but at this early stage there is a very good foundation. 

One thing that no one has pointed out is that all alpha testers were invited to the alpha. No one had to pay to get in. Anyone saying this is a cash grab needs to consider previous cash grab games. They always charge for alpha and beta access! So far New World hasn't and I hope it stays that way. Also, I am not a streamer, so it is not offered to streamers only. I do have a Prime membership though *shrugs*.
    Post edited by Kinring on
    gervaise1YashaX

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko JohannesburgMember EpicPosts: 6,777
    Kinring said:

One thing that no one has pointed out is that all alpha testers were invited to the alpha. No one had to pay to get in.
    Amazon are playing the "long game" here, they want maximum exposure and need to establish themselves as a serious presence on the gaming scene. They'll reap the rewards later.

Amazon's entire gaming strategy is geared to leveraging their Twitch ownership. Their games are meant to boost their Twitch viewer count, not the other way around... :wink:
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 12,015
    From what I have seen so far everything about this screams survival game and as such, yes it probably will be full loot PvP like most of them unless they decide to go the FO76 route and make it partial loot.

I also have my doubts that a game where you spend 90% of your time gathering mats will be much of a Twitch hit.
    KyleranMadFrenchieYashaXMrMelGibson
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • NorseGodNorseGod My Bunker, MTMember RarePosts: 1,654
    Isn't this game built on Lumberyard? lol You guys realize what else is using Lumberyard, don't you? lol

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this game is not.
    Come home, North Man.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Austin, TXMember RarePosts: 2,462
    No one I know is going to be playing this.   Me neither.  But we're not the twitch streamer age/audience.
    KyleranMrMelGibson

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

No one I know is going to be playing this.   Me neither.  But we're not the twitch streamer age/audience.
    Amazon and Lumberyard was enough to get a pass from me. Not giving Bezos my money or personal information to sell. Already seen Lumberyard in "action". lol 
    Come home, North Man.
  • anxelesaxeanxelesaxe Xenia, OHMember UncommonPosts: 23
    This game could be like pre-T2A UO with the politics/city building of shadowbane. Amazon could have a hit on their hands if they don't rush and do things right. 

I'd say Darkfall Unohly Wars is probably the closest comparison. That game was fun but good god Aventurine was a terrible company. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 8,335
    So they don't really care how successful the game is, they just want good twitch numbers so they can sell more Lumberyard.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 7,239
    NorseGod said:
    Isn't this game built on Lumberyard? lol You guys realize what else is using Lumberyard, don't you? lol

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this game is not.
    It should be called Slumberyard Zzzzzzzzz
    Kyleran

• HefaistosHefaistos BucharestMember UncommonPosts: 333
    How many players per server? Cuz it seems its going towards survival games, max 100.

Hefaistos said:
    How many players per server? Cuz it seems its going towards survival games, max 100.

The other Lumberyard game can only have 50.
    Come home, North Man.
  • sassoonsssassoonss Monroe Town Patricia Palace, NYMember UncommonPosts: 1,125
    Not that I Know off :) but

Not full PVP loot - You dont lose money and what you are wearing . Only inventory gets looted.
    NorseGod said:
    Amazon and Lumberyard was enough to get a pass from me. Not giving Bezos my money or personal information to sell. Already seen Lumberyard in "action". lol 
    Just curious, what game did you play that was from Lumberyard? 

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member UncommonPosts: 468
    Kinring said:
    NorseGod said:
    Just curious, what game did you play that was from Lumberyard? 
    It's CryEngine so I imagine you'll find lots of games made with it. Technically.
    Hefaistos said:

The alpha servers already have well over 100 each. They said they are going for MMO and they meant it.