Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Assassin's Creed Odyssey Review - Ubisoft's Wonder Woman - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageAssassin's Creed Odyssey Review - Ubisoft's Wonder Woman - MMORPG.com

Following the monumental success of Assassins Creed Origins how could Ubisoft even attempt to make something as good, or better? Is it even possible? That is the question that has been echoed across the internet since Odyssey was first announced mid-May this year. We are honored to be able to charge head first into answering this question with our Assassin's Creed Odyssey review.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I opened U-Play and preloaded the game. Can't wait! :)

KiwiHypeJeffSpicoliConstantineMerus

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233

Awesome review Kelley!

I have It preordered and look forward to diving into it!

Woot nice one, hope you enjoy and thanks for enjoying.

OG_Zorvan said:

Not sure how being able to play a woman is so monumental, when there's already been an AC with both male and female protagonists.

I'd like to EVERY TIME not just in Syndicate which is the only other time you've been able to actually play as a female. That reminds me I must play that one, I haven't yet.
    SBFordZenJelly
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    I've never really played any other AC games since I never really was excited with the gameplay I saw.
    However the theme is what does it for me in this release.
    So AC: Odyssey will the first in the series I play.... I'm glad the reviews up to now have been stellar.

AlomarJeffSpicoli

..Cake..

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The little bit in a stream i watched looked cheap and cheesy.
    The CS's as typical in many games go into a sub menu mode,the detail is higher but when the dialogue is done and moves back into the game the detail is much lower.No biggie,just a lazy cheap ways a lot of devs  design their games.

The QUESTS...ummm again obviously not seeing ALL of them but what i saw was again cheesy and weak.Stuff like shoot at the target dummies..ok quest complete,so that is what we call a QUEST?

Go talk to npc so an so...quest complete...yikes.
    I see a lot of very typical linear type game design but plays like SWTOR with the 3 choice dialogue but in reality is JUST dialogue as very little ever changes.
    Example WHAT WOOD....special wood,i am designing a new bow,well yeah the quest still remains the same.
    WHERE are the Bandits...how should i know..lol,well obviously they will be somewhat near the special wood...sigh.

To me the game looks boring,it is just a new setting,that intrigues some people with new exploration possibilities,but is that really good,more loin cloths,rocks,desert,swords,water umm yeah your typical boring landscapes.
    I would never give this game even close to a 9/10,way too much room to improve the ENTIRE game design,to me it is a 6/10 and even then the combat is not nearly good enough for me or i would have bought it already so to myself it is not even worth buying,so then i could even say a 4-5/10.if it was a 6 and combat looked fun,i might have bought it,instead i bought Dragon Quest 11.

BTW what happened to all this Monster Hunter talk,GREAT game,almost nobody cares about it ALREADY,this is because the market typically over hypes ALL the games to get people to buy them,the longevity value in these games seems VERY low.2 months later,this game will be collecting dust and this site will be hyping new customers/partners games.

BTW no mention of key binding or UI setup,review seemed to basically say,i love this game but of course being given the copy or having to buy it for review purposes is not the same as WANTING to buy it.

Psym0nJeffSpicoliThaharSadfistalkarionloggastovski1Gobstopper3DTacticalZombeh

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    ^^^

Psym0nTheDarkrayneSovrathMadFrenchieAlomarGruntyJeffSpicoliThaharPhrySadfistand 9 others.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310

KiwiHype said:

Awesome review Kelley!

I have It preordered and look forward to diving into it!

Woot nice one, hope you enjoy and thanks for enjoying.

OG_Zorvan said:

Not sure how being able to play a woman is so monumental, when there's already been an AC with both male and female protagonists.

I'd like to EVERY TIME not just in Syndicate which is the only other time you've been able to actually play as a female. That reminds me I must play that one, I haven't yet.

Assassin's Creed: Liberation
    [Deleted User]

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Psym0nPsym0n Member UncommonPosts: 283

^^^

Hahah. Every post Wizardry types is like a expanded DT Twitter Message. Stuff in ALL CAPS, and negativity!

On the review. Nice work, I am probably picking this one up. My last one was Black Flag which I enjoyed immensely. Glad to see they took the naval combat from that game and expanded it to the newer AC entries.
    KiwiHypeThaharJeffSpicolialkarionlogTacticalZombeh
    edited October 2018

I should've said Syndicate 2015 was last one so three years ago sorry Mondaymorningitis

Wizardry said:

BTW no mention of key binding or UI setup,review seemed to basically say,i love this game but of course being given the copy or having to buy it for review purposes is not the same as WANTING to buy it.

You need to read what folks say and not read things expecting them to say exactly what you want for your own peace of mind. 

I pointed out many reasons why this game is worth playing there is also a Pro's and Cons. I felt no need to put keybinds because those are straightforward and I wanted to put pics instead as that's my jam. i would have bought this game were I not reviewing it. Yes, people who write about games also buy games. Shocking right?

As for the UI one screenshot is all you need and it's in there. Naval combat has a UI but it's also straightforward I didn't want to spoil it or many things. The key to really enjoying this game is not knowing too much about it, I hope reviews out their launching today all do the same.
    TacticalZombeh
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Looking forward to making this my first Assasin's Creed game. I'm a sucker for anything Greco-Roman.
    KiwiHypeJeffSpicoliSBFord
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited October 2018

Wizardry said:

The CS's as typical in many games go into a sub menu mode,the detail is higher but when the dialogue is done and moves back into the game the detail is much lower.No biggie,just a lazy cheap ways a lot of devs  design their games.

The QUESTS...ummm again obviously not seeing ALL of them but what i saw was again cheesy and weak.Stuff like shoot at the target dummies..ok quest complete,so that is what we call a QUEST?

I see a lot of very typical linear type game design but plays like SWTOR with the 3 choice dialogue but in reality is JUST dialogue as very little ever changes.
    Example WHAT WOOD....special wood,i am designing a new bow,well yeah the quest still remains the same.
    WHERE are the Bandits...how should i know..lol,well obviously they will be somewhat near the special wood...sigh.

To me the game looks boring,it is just a new setting,that intrigues some people with new exploration possibilities,but is that really good,more loin cloths,rocks,desert,swords,water umm yeah your typical boring landscapes.
    I would never give this game even close to a 9/10,way too much room to improve the ENTIRE game design,to me it is a 6/10 and even then the combat is not nearly good enough for me or i would have bought it already so to myself it is not even worth buying,so then i could even say a 4-5/10.if it was a 6 and combat looked fun,i might have bought it,instead i bought Dragon Quest 11.

BTW what happened to all this Monster Hunter talk,GREAT game,almost nobody cares about it ALREADY,this is because the market typically over hypes ALL the games to get people to buy them,the longevity value in these games seems VERY low.2 months later,this game will be collecting dust and this site will be hyping new customers/partners games.

I have to agree with all your points & I'll add at the end of the day its the exact same game as Origins which was the exact same game as Black flag with a different coat of paint of course. And speaking of that coat of paint WOW, This is some serious eye candy, I think they actually topped Origins with this one. Ubisoft got my money last year at launch but i think I'll hold off on this one till i get Steam sale of -40% or more. I do eventually want to play it but i could never justify spending 60 bucks on another assassins creed rehash just out of principle alone.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    never played AC games. 9/10 score seems good reason to buy tis AC... hope its good.
    JeffSpicolialkarionlog
    edited October 2018
    Arskaaa said:
    never played AC games. 9/10 score seems good reason to buy tis AC... hope its good.
    If you have never played a AC game i would highly recommend buying it especially if you have the rig to push ultra graphics, pure eye candy. Its a great first experience but once you have played one you have played them all.
    Arskaaa[Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    There are few games that leave me feeling absolutely nothing, Assassins Creed however is one of them, FarCry another. Wait, scratch the above, all these game series by Ubisoft leave me feeling nothing, that goes for Watchdogs too. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    SadfistalkarionlogJeffSpicoli[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• BernordBernord Member CommonPosts: 6
    edited October 2018
    1v10 everyone while surrounding people waits for you to 1v1 in the early series, climb the tower, reveal the side quests, do side quests, unlock main quest, do main quest -> another zone. Same circle XD

I love the series anyway, because of the other little things. In some of them i loved upgrading stuff, buildings, income. The graphics are beautiful, combat and running is smooth.

I've been waiting for this October release very much so, and i intend in doing the same circle one more time for the sake of completion :P 
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    thunderC said:

Wizardry said:

I have to agree with all your points & I'll add at the end of the day its the exact same game as Origins which was the exact same game as Black flag with a different coat of paint of course. And speaking of that coat of paint WOW, This is some serious eye candy, I think they actually topped Origins with this one. Ubisoft got my money last year at launch but i think I'll hold off on this one till i get Steam sale of -40% or more. I do eventually want to play it but i could never justify spending 60 bucks on another assassins creed rehash just out of principle alone.
    my principles refuse me to pay for any EA and Ubisoft game again, and I only played brotherhood because when I bought my video card I was free in there, even so was.....
    JeffSpicoli
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    lahnmir said:
    There are few games that leave me feeling absolutely nothing, Assassins Creed however is one of them, FarCry another. Wait, scratch the above, all these game series by Ubisoft leave me feeling nothing, that goes for Watchdogs too. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Its funny you say that cause as Gorgeous as the series is graphically i get the same empty feeling as well. Like i said its a great game for a steam sale or if its your very first time playing. But not for 60 bucks... 

Good points about Ubisoft as well, they do have quite the reputation for making some soul less games.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Great review. Now I'm all excited for tomorrow!
    KiwiHype

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

jonp200 said:

Great review. Now I'm all excited for tomorrow!

Awesome! Have fun in there. I really love these cultural immersions it really is like having our own personal animus. Ubisoft has really raised the bar on how to represent cultures in all of its surroundings, languages, quest lines and music hence why they get such high rating from me. Then there is the actual game play - fun, fun, fun - could chat for days about all of it!
    JeffSpicoli
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    edited October 2018
    Arskaaa said:
    It's a good review.

Here's another one from ACG which also thinks it's a really good game. Some negative criticism but it's very positive.

He says it's an absolute "buy" for standard edition.

based on this review I'm buying.

Arskaaa
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Heh, they've got time to post in the thread but not enough time to proofread/edit the article. This one was painful to get past the first few paragraphs. Just copy/paste into Word and let the red squiggles guide you! (not that they are perfect by any means but they can help for sure)
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I've never played an AC game.  What's the combat like?  Really twitchy?  Is it OK on a keyboard and mouse?
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    The

I've never played an AC game.  What's the combat like?  Really twitchy?  Is it OK on a keyboard and mouse?

The combat in Origins and Odyssey is different from the previous AC installments. It's more action oriented and to me just flows and feels better. For me the weakness in the older AC's was the combat. Blackflag wasn't bad however.
    I play on KB&M just fine although it seems controller would work too. I just can't stand trying to aim/look around with a joystick.

On a separate topic: While some people bemoan the 'sameness' of the game, I love it. More AC:O gameplay but now in Greece? Sign me up. Loved Origins. And soulless? What does that even mean? There was life going on all over Egypt and the attention to detail was great.

So as I do, I'll wait until it releases, see how it performs, then buy it if I think the game is GTG. I'm not into the preorder thing any more.
    Arskaaa

Samhael said:

Heh, they've got time to post in the thread but not enough time to proofread/edit the article. This one was painful to get past the first few paragraphs. Just copy/paste into Word and let the red squiggles guide you! (not that they are perfect by any means but they can help for sure)

I appreciate feedback but assumptions on how sites work get a rolled eye response from me over here over my morning coffee. I am not the editor plus this is typed using word in the first place before it goes to the awesome eyes who put this here.

I do however have a habit of typing like I am talking so will take extra care, thank you!

The

The combat in Origins and Odyssey is different from the previous AC installments. It's more action oriented and to me just flows and feels better. For me the weakness in the older AC's was the combat. Blackflag wasn't bad however.

I play on KB&M just fine although it seems controller would work too. I just can't stand trying to aim/look around with a joystick.

On a separate topic: While some people bemoan the 'sameness' of the game, I love it. More AC:O gameplay but now in Greece? Sign me up. Loved Origins. And soulless? What does that even mean? There was life going on all over Egypt and the attention to detail was great.

So as I do, I'll wait until it releases, see how it performs, then buy it if I think the game is GTG. I'm not into the preorder thing any more.

The

This response is pretty spot on so no need to add anything more, cheers.