Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think MMO developers dislike player housing?

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    It has never been a draw for me and I honestly don't get why some get so excited about it.

If a game has it and there's some utility to be had from it, I play along with it for the utility. But decorating is the farthest thing from my mind when I fire up an MMO.

I play MMOs to build characters and test my builds against other players or mobs. I get crafting when it's an integral part of building up a character but that's about it for me.

And I feel the same way about fishing :)
    It has to do with the game being "a world" and actully having a place that anchors you to that world.
    ^Very much this.
    I know a lot of people that love decorating their places too, and that will spend hours upon hours hunting down decorations. Or spend sick amounts of money to pimp their crib :P
    BDO is a good example of that.

And of course roleplayers absolutely adore housing for the same reason Sovrath mention; having a place their characters actually live.

I'm very much in favor of instanced housing, or semi-instanced a la BDO's. Open world housing is meh. Even when I was still in awe of UO back in the day, it soon turned more annoying than cool. Constantly running into a house that hadn't loaded yet was a constant nuisance, not to mention finding the damned things everywhere.

Also... lol on those that think that just because you some open world dump, that people are going to be admiring it. I couldn't care less about the vast majority of UO's houses, nor did I bother visiting more than a few.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    @Cryomatrix

There is a massive difference between enjoying a game that was designed with Raids in mind, and there is a group of people that enjoy doing those raids, in those games I will also enjoy raids assuming I care enough about the game to get involved. But I am not talking about that, I am taking about this parasite of the game community that raises ruckus in every game they play that they need to ADD-IN these features to the game no matter what.

Again, in GW2, players made a huge stink about raids. So they got added in, screwed up the whole style and feel of game. Then they cried about Mounts, and they got added in no matter how inappropriate they were to the game set up, and now they are crying for Housing, and I have faith that Anet will cave and there will be some housing system put in that will mirror their guild housing, which IMHO was moronic to say the least. 

On the flip side, in Trove, the Mounts, Corner Stones, Club Words, and the like, fit the game design perfectly and just expanded the game for the better, but they were core features from the start, the game was built with these things in mind.

So, it is not the Raid, it is the incessant crying by some degenerate subset of players that feel that every game needs to have Raids, that is issue, even games that raids would not fit into thematically.
    [Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Hate Raids love housing. Maybe it's like playing house or dolls. Don't care. Love the building. Love the decorating. Love having my own personal corner of the world.
    Azaron_Nightblade
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Amathe said:
    You don't see player housing in most games. It can't be a coincidence. 
    No kidding! From what I've seen on message boards, player housing is no win situation.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    It has never been a draw for me and I honestly don't get why some get so excited about it.

If a game has it and there's some utility to be had from it, I play along with it for the utility. But decorating is the farthest thing from my mind when I fire up an MMO.

I play MMOs to build characters and test my builds against other players or mobs. I get crafting when it's an integral part of building up a character but that's about it for me.

It has to do with the game being "a world" and actully having a place that anchors you to that world.
    A room at an inn anchors me just fine :)
    Ha! Murder Hobo vs Citizen Vigilante :O
    IselinKyleran

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    AlBQuirky said:
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

A room at an inn anchors me just fine :)
    Ha! Murder Hobo vs Citizen Vigilante :O
    You know how most fantasy books start at home and end at home but the story is all about the journey? I live in the journey in those worlds. It's like the song that never ends for me :)
    AlBQuirkyKyleranimmodium
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

t0nyd said:
    Housing is mostly never done right. With a game like Warframe, your ship is your house and your hub for the game. Warframe actually approaches housing somewhat right. Houses need a purpose and it most games they lack one. Mostly they are just adornment.

When you blend survival and MMORPG together, houses should be vital. the problem with a lot of games is the environment isn't an enemy. I prefer a game where the environment is much more than just background graphics. There a lot of things you could do with housing. Temporary shelters should be a thing as well. If we're talkin Scifi, maybe you go from apartment to apartment because you have enemies or you have mobile shelter that you can move around. In fantasy, maybe Orcs have destroyed your village or you live up in some harsh environment and can't survive in the elements for long. 

TLDR: I wish shelter was important...
    Totally in agreement here!

Unfortunately, "survival" has been taken out of MMORPGs, since that just adds "tedium" to this new MMO player. I'm not a fan of "overly survival" mode, where I'm required to make or buy food and water 3 times a day, but carrying it around (ala EQ) is enough for me.

Since "downtime" has been mostly done away with, housing is even less important now.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Nyctelios said:
    Player housing is one of the biggest challenges to make. It is not that it is difficult to do it is a challenge for it to make sense. 
    The amount of work involved is immense compared to the fraction of a player base that will use it and for actual relevance within the game. 
    Not only that but it creates tremendous server load for little pay off. 
     it is just not worth developing for unless you know the type of game you are making it makes sense to do so. 
    Yeah. It's a content that people might not touch. So, in a sense, is development time over something that might not get return - money wise or just apreciation.
    So is raiding for the most part, yet it is required high end group content. Required because it becomes something to look forward to, even if people end up not joining a raid in the end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Xasapis said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Player housing is one of the biggest challenges to make. It is not that it is difficult to do it is a challenge for it to make sense. 
    The amount of work involved is immense compared to the fraction of a player base that will use it and for actual relevance within the game. 
    Not only that but it creates tremendous server load for little pay off. 
     it is just not worth developing for unless you know the type of game you are making it makes sense to do so. 
    Yeah. It's a content that people might not touch. So, in a sense, is development time over something that might not get return - money wise or just apreciation.
    So is raiding for the most part, yet it is required high end group content. Required because it becomes something to look forward to, even if people end up not joining a raid in the end.
    Raiding serves as a content distributor though. Housing is generally a static server load component that offers no service to the player. 
    Not the same thing at all.
    Eh, housing can be like achievements for a lot of people.
    Some very much enjoy hunting down the decorations they can get from various other activities. Like on SWTOR some would farm certain flashpoints to get a specific drop to put in their houses. It can definitely serve a purpose, or give incentive to do other content.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    I know little to non about MMO developing , but housing seem like one hell of works for me .
    If i was non AAA developers , i would never dare to touch the player housing
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    As player I am dislike players housing . If it is  in game , I am mostly ignoring it.
    I am ok with bank storage ,  only 
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    i don't think they dislike it. they probably just recognize it for the small niche it is and just don't think it's worth the effort.

if it really was as popular as some players would have you believe i'm sure it would be present int most games in some form or other.
    Kyleran

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387
    Loved housing in UO & SWG .. sure it was open world but there is ways around houses scattered everywhere as players no longer subbed.  Don't allow months of rent to be stored and make it known that after 3 months of the account no longer subbed .. the house and contents gets stored for retrieval upon resubbing.  At which point you'd need to locate a new plot if yours had been taken.

That should solve the problem UP & SWG had of properties all over the shop as people had stopped playing but left houses up.

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    DAoC has useful and fun housing that was an "shoehorned" in after release, so it can be done properly if a developer wanted to. 

Sadly, most housing I see is either halfarsed or a money grab... or both.
    DeddmeatKyleranAlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited September 2018
    Is housing a "fun" money spinner? How does anything which is not seen in that light getting into a modern MMO?
    AlBQuirky
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    ikcin said:
    As kids we built tents in the yard, made snow castles in the forest, wood houses on trees. Housing is part of the human nature - everyone wants a safe place to hide from the big world.
    Yeah,  but why did you build them? For me the snow castles were fortresses to be used as defense for our snowball fights, we pretended the treeforts kept us safe from bears, Indians and bandits, and the tents were just a great excuse to sleep outside and get away from the parents. (And roam the neighborhood at all hours of the night getting into trouble)

Pretty much what housing should be used for in video games, and we certainly spent no time back in the day "decorating" our tents, tree and snow forts, so no desire to do so now.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]AlBQuirkyScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    edited September 2018
    Kyleran said:
    ikcin said:
    As kids we built tents in the yard, made snow castles in the forest, wood houses on trees. Housing is part of the human nature - everyone wants a safe place to hide from the big world.
    Yeah,  but why did you build them? For me the snow castles were fortresses to be used as defense for our snowball fights, we pretended the treeforts kept us safe from bears, Indians and bandits, and the tents were just a great excuse to sleep outside and get away from the parents. (And roam the neighborhood at all hours of the night getting into trouble)

Pretty much what housing should be used for in video games, and we certainly spent no time back in the day "decorating" our tents, tree and snow forts, so no desire to do so now.
    Bhaa ! no tents, sleeping bag and all of us would bring our Daisy BB guns. We would look for satalights UFO's and shoot our BB guns straight up in the air and see who would pull up there sleeping bag first. WoW that's been awhile ago. Or go down to railroad track and try to put out the train locomotive light . 
    Kyleran
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Even though i like the idea of housing its never been a reason to play an mmo for me. I loved logging out in bars or inns. Specially if they were in area's i was questing in. Wow was good for this because they had inns every where.
    AlBQuirky
    Elsabolts said:
    Kyleran said:
    ikcin said:

Bhaa ! no tents, sleeping bag and all of us would bring our Daisy BB guns. We would look for satalights UFO's and shoot our BB guns straight up in the air and see who would pull up there sleeping bag first. WoW that's been awhile ago. Or go down to railroad track and try to put out the train locomotive light . 
    Growing up in the West sure sounded fun :/ 
    It was, forget BB guns, I remember my first Crossman pump air rifle, then my first 22 rifle but I didn't shoot living things, targets,  cans and bottles were more my style. 

Same with online games, shooting stuff is more fun than building.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

ikcin said:
    Kyleran said:
    It was, forget BB guns, I remember my first Crossman pump air rifle, then my first 22 rifle but I didn't shoot living things, targets,  cans and bottles were more my style. 

Same with online games, shooting stuff is more fun than building.
    Here we have only AK-47, boring yeah.
    Ah, now you are talking about grown up toys....

Prefer the AR-15 myself.

;)

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    edited September 2018
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    edited September 2018