Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you made any real life connections in game?

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
I hear of people who have met in game and married. Have you made any real life* friends where that relationship started in game? 

Conversely, have you lost any real life friends trying to play games with them?

* Yes I know we could have a discussion about games being real too, or about what "real" means, but that's not the intent of this post.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

[Deleted User]Wellspring

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited September 2018
    Yes, at least a dozen over the years with folks coming to stay at my home with me or where I met up with them. In fact, I'm eagerly -- very eagerly -- awaiting the next one that will happen soon with someone I've known virtually for 6.5 years. :)
    AmatheScot[Deleted User][Deleted User]Wellspring[Deleted User]Agent_Joseph[Deleted User]cheyane

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    In mmorpgs and yes. In other games, no.

My attitude towards other people is that I will never meet them ever. Even that ended up to be false.

I have only positive experiences from the people I did meet and not merely exchanged social media real IRL info.
    SBFord
  • FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    Let's see... I was coming out of the Archmage Tower in Lin one day and I noticed a cute Battlemage standing by a large rock.  We have been together now for 15 yrs.
    AmatheScotSBFord[Deleted User]WellspringAzaron_NightbladeTyranusPrime
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Nah I know alot of people in RL so I don't feel inclined to meeting a total unknown online....I keep the friendships in game and that's good enough for me.
    [Deleted User]
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Playing on the Vanguard PvP server, there were a number of people I met in game and then met in real life. One guy was in a rival PvP guild and happened to go to the same college as me and we became friends IRL. But neither of us changed guilds lol. I also met a number of my guild mates from that game IRL. 

No other game has it happened though. 
    SBFord[Deleted User]
    --------------------------------------------
  • InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    I've met easily over a dozen people that I first met in game.  I never went with the intent to meet them. But if they lived in a place i was traveling to, I often met with them
    SBFord
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Nope never ... at least that's my story and I'm sticking with it. ... Don't look in the basement ... DON'T LOOK IN THE BASEMENT!!! >:)
    That made me laugh unreasonably hard. :D
    [Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    yes, I met some great people in Lineage 2 and we are still in contact today, go out to dinner when they are in town, etc.

SBFord[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I met several people from my guild, we have known each other for years. Two passed away due to illness, one I visited three days before he died.

We are online but we connect with real people, and these people are very much worthy of our time and affection, at least for me they are.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AmatheSBFord[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited September 2018
    SBFord said:
    Yes, at least a dozen over the years with folks coming to stay at my home with me or where I met up with them. In fact, I'm eagerly -- very eagerly -- awaiting the next one that will happen soon with someone I've known virtually for 6.5 years. :)
    Should I infer something from this? Wedding? Running away to Cancun? Some sort of Heist that might be considered "Big?"
    Post edited by Sovrath on
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    yes , i was ,
    but after some case of real life problem cause by in game things , i stop give out real life info .
    Still have some connections , but there are no more new ones .
    [Deleted User]
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I met some, yes. Not that many, but still.
    Sometimes you do forge long lasting connections online :)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Yes... to both questions.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Kind of, but no. I've made "online friends" whom I've never met face to face face, but knew their names and exchanged phone numbers.

Interestingly enough, it was real life people (3 guys I worked with in 2000) that got me playing EverQuest. They were always talking about what they did in the game and one of them had a "Prime Guide(?)" on EQ that he let me borrow. I got hooked and took the dive. Never saw the guys in the game, though :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I dont think ive ever met any one in real life, but kudos to those who have 
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Yep. A lot of my close friends are people I originally met in games. Heck, I met my SO of 13 years in an MMO!
    WellspringUngood
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Well I have had online friends from SWG.  We are facebook friends and a group.  I meet one person in real life.  We have played online games together.
  • mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    yes, quite a few.

Some I see on a weekly basis, and a couple of times a year, at least 30 of us get together for a long weekend.
    TheScavenger
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I have. I met a few on Everquest in 1999 and I have spoken to them on the phone and we keep in touch but none of them play MMORPGs any more. We just talk and keep in touch and mostly talk about our families now and wish each other well and happy birthday and stuff since they are on my Facebook too. But my birthday date is false on Facebook lol.
    Chamber of Chains
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Sovrath said:
    yes, I met some great people in Lineage 2 and we are still in contact today, go out to dinner when they are in town, etc.

What server/guild?  
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I met my father through some gaming site.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkyScotGobstopper3D
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    I met my girlfriend while Team Builder was still a thing in League of Legends. I was the team leader and a random support Ahri popped up and I said "Ahh what the hell!" And we got to talking and one thing led to another now we've been together for over 3 years.  I've met a lot of friends over the years of playing WoW  that's about it.   
    SBFord
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I dont think ive ever met any one in real life, but kudos to those who have 
    No one at all? ;)
    [Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR