Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pathfinder Kingmaker So Far So Great

Comments

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    yeah I want to play it ,but I will wait all dlcs launch before anything, I still have pillar of eternity 2 on the back log waiting for that too, for now FF15 and monster hunter will have to do
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Mendel said:
    I'm going to pay more attention to a well written and articulate review, either positive or negative.  Reviews aren't an art form, but i don't have much tolerance for slack writing.  Communicating a opinion is the purpose of a review.  I dismiss the 'DON'T BUY THIS GAME' reviews completely.  I know what kinds of games I like, how much I have to spend and what perceived value I see in a game.

Absolutely.

Remember that PoE2 released with tuning issues, so I can't give Kingmaker a lot of flak for having tuning issues.  But, like Torval, I think that I'll take a wait and see approach for now to see how the encounter tuning thing shakes out.
    MrMelGibson

• mikeb0817mikeb0817 Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Bananable said:
    *Siiiiiiigh*

"So I am playing Pathfinder Kingmaker today and I have to say this is a really good game."
    Its like those steam reviews, kids play for 5 min and shout: AMAZING! BEST GEAM EVA! RECOMEND IT!

How can you tell if its good if you havent finished it? Imagine if that was a book or movie, how can you say anything about it, not only you dunno about the end, you havent even got to the middle of story?

"The lighting is awesome"
    Most important thing for crpg.  >.>

"Gory death lol"
    I agree, LOL!    Is this your first game?

"lots and lots of depth"
    Nope.
    Even first conversation filled with hate. Devs' hate to players.
    One of the questions I can ask give me "stop asking stupid question" reply...LITERALLY.
    Why the flock you give me that option then?
    Also most important thing is...You CANT actually be evil... But the game gives you choise.
    When i said something "bad" my allies (which joined to me automatically) start moaning: "How can you say such awfull things?"
    Um...cuz im EVIL...DUH!

I said that before...DAO isnt the best game, it has alot of ...weird stuff. But even now theres (still) no other game that has different beginnings (personal stories) for your charcter.

This game is 45% from POE 45% - DnD (NVN) and 10% is just new story and decorations.
    Optimization  is awfull...because thats feature these days. Even crpgs requres 1080. Cause crpg needs HBAO , Depth of field and other BS. This game eats 2,5k+ vram ( even witcher 3 and DOS2 use less).  According to steam, recomended : ATI Radeon HD 5770 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M.
    It looks better than POE 2, but still you cant turn camera around.

Combat is weird. Its RT but with CD on basic attack (like in POE but worse)...and INSANE amount of missses. >.>
    AI is dumb, while my char was affected some "fear" spell and run around in the corner they shoot pillar in front of him.

Stats check is wierd, it dont tell you your stats when you have to choose option. So in the first one (I have to go through burning building) i failed all three of them, and all my chars could get through, but got injured. Health apparently doesnt recover after a fight, awesome.    >.>  

So its (another) oldschool (small) game that reqires new $$$$ PC.

I have to agree. It is plagued by bugs and sloppy mistakes, even from character creation... very poorly optimized as well. The character models - horrible, as if from an old PS1 game... very limited portrait picture selection. It clearly wasn't ready for release... I refunded in the first 120 mins. Going to play Divinity 2 this weekend instead of this heaping pile.
    Octagon7711
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I've only watched it on youtube videos, but it looks fun to me......Or is that not an option anymore?
    AlBQuirky
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I'm holding off until I read how patches affect the difficulty level.  A challenge is one thing, but from reading through some Steam posts and reviews, the balance problems can be extremely frustrating at this point.  On normal or even easy mode, some mobs are super OP, even in random and non-boss encounters.  As in, to the point of requiring many reloads, or not being able to be defeated at all.  I don't know, it seems like they let a ton of issues pass through play testing, which I guess isn't that uncommon these days.  The result is a Mixed rating so far on Steam, which isn't going to help sales.  
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I wont continue playing till they fix custom characters from Eight eyes ... Terrible they broke this and worse they didnt fix it with todays patch ..

Aside from that was enjoying the game , but this is gamebreaking for atm

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DethevanDethevan Member UncommonPosts: 60
    edited September 2018
    I'm holding off until I read how patches affect the difficulty level.  A challenge is one thing, but from reading through some Steam posts and reviews, the balance problems can be extremely frustrating at this point.  On normal or even easy mode, some mobs are super OP, even in random and non-boss encounters.  As in, to the point of requiring many reloads, or not being able to be defeated at all.  I don't know, it seems like they let a ton of issues pass through play testing, which I guess isn't that uncommon these days.  The result is a Mixed rating so far on Steam, which isn't going to help sales.  
    I will start off by saying that I am a table top player/GM for Pathfinder and have had times where the enemies will have their moments that will take out party members with just good rolls.  That being said, I do agree that without fine tuning the settings within the mode you choose you will have a bad day.  I mean my group spent more time getting one shotted by the bear in the Temple of the Elk than anything.  But I also agree that for Challenge mode and higher (hadn't seen any issues with it from easy to normal), that Owlcat does need to recalibrate the damage enemies do

The one good thing is that from the door and at any time, you can customize a lot of the difficulty.  Right now I have mine set to Challenge mode so I have normal attacks and criticals, but since seeing how things went with my first trial play through I set the damage the enemies do to slightly lower than normal.  Kept every other setting the same (so no freebie death and so on.)  The only option you can't change after selecting it at the beginning of the game is Last Azlanti mode giving you only one save slot.

Setting my difficulty like that I actually have had no issues going through the game so far when it comes to damage issues.  It still gives me a challenge even with the lesser damage, but I'm not getting one or two shotted now by randoms or bosses.  As an example, in the final tutorial encounter.  My character (Crusader Cleric) and two others lose about 60% health, but I was able to keep up with the healing with either my spells or Horrim to keep us alive through fears.

One thing I have noticed from most of the reviews is that the posters don't neccessarily play around with the settings, or remember that while going through the tutorial area it tells you that all attacks, initiatives, skill checks, etc. are based on a d20 roll like in the actual table top.  So at low levels, you miss...a lot. Although I do believe it would have been nice to at least show a d20 somewhere on the screen when a roll is made to allow the player to see how the hit, skill, etc. is calculated. :-)
    Rockinw311

Currently playing EverQuest 2

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited September 2018
    AlBQuirky said:
    I was reading up on it, and the biggest con I've seen noted is the tuning of some fights.  Werewolves at level 2 were mentioned more than once (as a random encounter), and some other fights.  Reviewers seemed to feel the game throws overtuned monsters at you pretty early on.

Can anyone here elaborate?  Is this overblown hyperbole, or have any of you ran into these kinds of fights?
    I'm not sure, but "the wolves" I saw as a random encounter as Cohh traveled along a road. NOT werewolves, just regular old wolves. I don't know if this what that person was referring to or not.

It is like an old D&D game. You have 1 hit dice for health, so your health ranges from 1d6 to 1 d10  (+/- constitution modifiers). Most weapons can do that damage in one or two hits. Add the possibility for a critical hit and one shots are commonplace.

Unlike old D&D games, there is no DM to "fudge rolls" to help keep players alive ;)

Cohh, as he ventured through the tutorial, died a lot. He had no place to rest or recover but healing potions were abundant. A lot of his deaths came from not knowing the Pathfinder system. Attacks of Opportunity (AoO) are the killers. If you're in melee with someone, shooting a bow warrants an AoO. If you're near three opponents, that's 3 attacks. Casting spells in melee warrants the same. Using items in melee range is the same.

Pathfinder is an unforgiving system. I hope that helps a little? Again, I'm no expert (except the D&D part), but hopefully shed some light :)
    Thanks for the reply!  The reviews seemed to indicate their issue was with powerful mobs showing up so early.  In the Werewolf example, they advised the mobs were extremely resistant to any attack that wasn't made with silver weapons.  They asserted that, at level 2, they had not encountered a single silver weapon yet in the world or at a merchant.

It seemed to me the issue they described was implying the devs set powerful mob types as an option for the random fights right out of the gate, not realizing that if those mobs happened to get selected at random too early in the game for a random encounter, the player will have little to no ability to respond appropriately.
    Ah! OK.

Werewolves are indeed affected only by silver or magical weapons. That's a D&D thing. Other types of undead (vampires) are this way, too.

The settings one can "adjust" in the game is as deep as the rest of the game. A player can set the difficulty of quite a few different aspects on their own merits, random encounters being one of them.

Cohh made an observation during his morning cast about seeing a lot "This is too hard!" reviews and thought part of it might stem from expectations differing from the actual game. He went in with no expectations, never playing Pathfinder, and has been hooked on the game all week long. This caused a lot of his deaths, too, not knowing the system as well as he might have.

D&D is a game which simplifies fights. Pathfinder adjusted these rules so that there are "floating modifiers" everywhere. Positioning, buffs/debuffs, lots of things to keep track in the pen and paper version. It slowed fights in tabletop D&D to a crippled crawl, 3 minute (turns) fights taking 30 minutes to an hour or more to resolve. Computerizing this seems to me a great way to handle this.

Anyway, Cohh just reached 4th level and is having a much better time of things. He still dies often (hard difficulty, still), but he now sees the fights in a more well-informed light. He admitted to signing off after the first day and spending an hour or so reading up on Pathfinder rules ;)

This game is difficult. It won't be for everyone :)

[EDIT]
    Just read some other comments so adding an addendum:

The game is balanced at for normal difficulty. Touch the sliders or choose a harder one and it becomes unbalanced in the monsters favor. If I recall correctly, the next toughest difficulty (challenging?) adds a +2 to hit and damage and armor class(?) for mobs. Hard adds a +4, and unfair adds +6 I think. At low levels, this is deadly in the extreme.

Remember, you're rolling a d20 each attack to see if you hit. Adding +10% to +30& to the mobs is insane.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    @blueturtle13 How are you finding the combat from a tactical perspective? I read one steam review that claimed it was terribly flawed because of the initiation system. I'll post a copy of the review below, but do you have any insight on this? 

This is the review I read:
    "So,WHAT IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM?

THE RIDICULOUS INITIATE SYSTEM!

I cant believe Owlcat make this to ruin whole battle system
    That make this game A JOKE!

As a experienced and knowledgeable DM, I know how this system work, which many player that not played TRPG before cant understand easily,so let me explain

this game, have a global timer, which rule the round and turn of all your characters AND ENEMY
    Every character, yours or enemy's, obey this rule: you can only do things at right time, except move
    and the timer and the initiate system rules which time is right

BUT YOU WILL NEVER KNOW THE RIGHT TIME

I belive you often feel stuck, thats because you give the order at wrong time, so battle system make you stuck until initiate system say ok
    So even the timer make just 6 seconds to 1 round, you will easily wait 8 seconds while you miss the right time.
    The truth is: you miss the right time at first round, so you have to wait until the right time at next round
    and here is the bad news: your enemy never make fault like this,because they are computer itself, they know the time!
    It's really ridiculous to make player calculate time as computer
    Did any test player tell Owlcat they were making a bad bad mistake?

IT MAKE ANY TACTICS MEANINGLESS

When I start a battle, I command my fighter move forward , absorb the damage, and the wizard, move right so he can use Burninghand without hurt fighter
    What's the result?
    Initiate system make wizard wait 8 seconds before he can cast the magic ,and my fighter must get more punch!

Also, when i use a bow and enemy use sword, of course i choose run between two shoot.
    What's the result?
    I have to wait 8 seconds before I make every shoot, which I just need to wait 6 second while standing
    SO the truth is moving is meaningless, they can easily approach me if only I want shoot them

ITS RUIN EVERYTHING

You cant play a game which your effort will make things worse!
    That's how you play the game i mean
    You make the order, and your brilliant intelligence bring you the victory, that's how game work
    You can't just DOING NOTHING because your order will make your character miss the right time and waste the whole round stand for the initiate!"

[Deleted User]
    edited September 2018
     Companion update is in ..  along with some other stuff

Gonna jump in check it out....  :)

TokkenMrMelGibson
    @Yasha, I agree with that reviewer. The combat is not turn based yet they shoehorn "initiative" in. I can't tell who goes when. Try to heal a character and the healer stands there until their turn comes up. Their target may, or may not be down by that time.

In D&D, initiative is wonderful mechanic that organizes the chaos of battle. Everyone rolls a d20 and adds their modifiers. The DM keeps track of who goes when. Then, the DM says, "Joan, it's your turn. What does your Rogue do this round?" This is not happening in Kingmaker. It's an event that gores by, almost without notice. It's almost as if they tried to make an action combat game, then threw in initiative as an afterthought. It's very clunky, in my opinion.

The old Temple of Elemental Evil cRPG handled this much better, as have other games.

I'm not looking for great combat in the game and will probably play on normal, if that difficult. I want to see the story and kingdom building ;)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

AlBQuirky said:
    @Yasha, I agree with that reviewer. The combat is not turn based yet they shoehorn "initiative" in. I can't tell who goes when. Try to heal a character and the healer stands there until their turn comes up. Their target may, or may not be down by that time.

In D&D, initiative is wonderful mechanic that organizes the chaos of battle. Everyone rolls a d20 and adds their modifiers. The DM keeps track of who goes when. Then, the DM says, "Joan, it's your turn. What does your Rogue do this round?" This is not happening in Kingmaker. It's an event that gores by, almost without notice. It's almost as if they tried to make an action combat game, then threw in initiative as an afterthought. It's very clunky, in my opinion.

The old Temple of Elemental Evil cRPG handled this much better, as have other games.

I'm not looking for great combat in the game and will probably play on normal, if that difficult. I want to see the story and kingdom building ;)
    Yeah, I have watched a couple of people playing the first few fights on youtube and noticed they had a lot of trouble with that mechanic. I'm not totally sure, but from what I could tell it seems that your round gets reset whenever you take an action, including changing weapons. So these players would start a fight, but then be put on a several second cooldown because they changed weapons or something.

I did like how the game shows you the exact number of seconds you have to wait before you perform an action, I have never seen that before. I kind of see the potential for some good tactical combat there, I wonder if someone who has got a hang of how it works could chime in?
    AlBQuirky
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Damn, to many games for me to play this fall I can't keep up.
  • InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    I kickstarted this game, yet forgot I did. I've been playing a bit. And there is a good game hidden under everything.

The combat can be a mess at times. The AI can be idiotic. I've caught my tank pacing back and forth instead of taking hits like I told her to. That's forced me to micromanage even more because i have to make sure they are doing what i tell them when I pause it.

I had a character die, and apparently they can't be rezzed? The NPC cleric sells scrolls to rez at a whopping 6000 gold. One character already had a scroll but her use magical device was too low, as was all my other characters. So basically I have a character I can't use until I level up enough which has been slowed down by me missing a character.

And maybe I'm an idiot. But I kept trying to use the overhead map to go back to the start. That's how you move about.  I was repeatedly annoyingly told that I couldn't leave because I hadn't finished everything yet. I assumed this was the side quests i didn't finish. No. That wasn't the case. It's because I told a NPC that I wasn't finished yet in that area. I had to go back to the NPC and tell him I was ready to back.  The entire time I had been moving around through an overhead map. But when I want to finish, I have to talk to a NPC because reasons.

I really want to like this game, but it has some terrible choices in UI and gameplay. I appreciate that it doesn't hold my hand, but there is a lot of information thrown at you, constantly. And I wish there was a better way to understand it all.

I've given up for now, I'll come back and try it out in a month or so. It's fun, but it also is highly frustrating. So I'll wait until they polish some more, and maybe add some quality of life changes and then get back to it.

[Deleted User]AlBQuirkymikeb0817
  • RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445
    I have been playing it too much to come up for air.  I am an old school D&Der (really old school since the 70's) and I love the ways in which it adheres to the spirit and dont get too po'ed by those things that dont (especially stat inflated mobs).  I wish they had a difficulty slider to reflect the actual rule set.  Other than that I am loving it.
    [Deleted User]YashaX
    I wanted to jump in here and relay what I've heard about the game. It's a buggy mess right now. Multiple players report losing saves mid and late game. The beginning seems pretty good, but some are finding game-ending bugs before the end of the game. Some patches have reportedly caused more bugs than they fixed.

The common advice right now is wait before buying. See if Olwcat studios can fix this.

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

Torval said:
    I've learned a little bit about Pathfinder, surprisingly, in this thread. I wasn't expecting that. It reminds me why I like AD&D 1st and 2nd Eds so much.

I'm still watching this game to see how they polish it up. If it ends up like Pillars/Pillars 2 then I'll probably pass. That style just doesn't click with me. If game play, especially combat, ends up feeling more like Divinity:OS then I'll probably pick it up.

I feel like "Early Access" has affected the quality of polish for release titles. Games are released much less polished now and the studios continue to polish them up until their community stops barking loudly. That's bothering me.

These studios are charging a premium for their games. That is reasonable for a niche boutique title like this - Pathfinder ruleset in a modern single player CRPG, just like old D&D games. It is also reasonable that players get a polished product for the AAA price tag. I'm not sure that is a realistic expectation to place on studios given the economics of this type of game, but the consequences of that reality will start to haunt them.

One of my main criticisms with the recent Bard's Tale 4 release is the lack of polish. No Man's Sky, a game I love and have hundreds of hours in, took over a year post launch to polish properly. I could say that about every indie game I've reviewed this year and most have been good games. However, they all needed more time to bake. This game needed that too.
    I agree with this Torval 100% and altho the released another big patch today im gonna sit back and not play it till after the holidays , just to many problems that makes me wish they had taken more time with before release , Fighting thru bugs is ruining the experience i know is under the hood
    [Deleted User]
    Torval said:
    I've learned a little bit about Pathfinder, surprisingly, in this thread. I wasn't expecting that. It reminds me why I like AD&D 1st and 2nd Eds so much.

I'm still watching this game to see how they polish it up. If it ends up like Pillars/Pillars 2 then I'll probably pass. That style just doesn't click with me. If game play, especially combat, ends up feeling more like Divinity:OS then I'll probably pick it up.

Combat is much more like Pillars/Baulders Gate etc than Divinity:OS. However, for some reason I am liking it a lot more than Pillars, and to some extent even Divinity.

That said, the most frustrating part of the game so far for me is the lack of a character builder or solid information about the game mechanics. I have spent hours pouring over the pnp pathfinder rules because not much is explained in game. It took me two days of research before I felt ready to start up a game ;)
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    If Obsidian did one thing well in Pillars, it was including intuitive tooltips that helped explain and inform the players about the underlying mechanics at work.

In a game as complex as these, the way information and feedback is delivered to the player is essential.
    [Deleted User]YashaX

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    YashaX said:
    Torval said:

Combat is much more like Pillars/Baulders Gate etc than Divinity:OS. However, for some reason I am liking it a lot more than Pillars, and to some extent even Divinity.

That said, the most frustrating part of the game so far for me is the lack of a character builder or solid information about the game mechanics. I have spent hours pouring over the pnp pathfinder rules because not much is explained in game. It took me two days of research before I felt ready to start up a game ;)
    Yes I tend to do that for most games. I think I spent 2 weeks reading builds before I even attempted to play Path of Exile. Same with Dungeons and Dragons Online I read and read stuff until I was convinced I would never play if I kept reading and quite honestly I am one of those people who rely heavily on reading about a game and then feel confident enough to play it.

When a game lacks materials to read online I get nervous I may encounter something I have no way to solve. I know I sound cowardly but I am like that about everything even in real life.
    YashaXAlBQuirkymikeb0817
    Chamber of Chains
    Oh my, I'm having a love/hate relationship with this game. It draws me into its world and ruleset far more powerfully than some of the other recent cRpgs do, but the bugs and balancing are frightfully bad.

I don't think I have ever played a supposedly fully released game with this many bugs/issues. I haven't personally encountered anything "gamebreaking" yet, but for example one bug has totally gimped my main character's build, there are quests that don't seem to resolve (even after completing them), and encounter balance is all over the place.

Then there are weird things like a cooking system that requires you to carry around heaps of food, but when you set up camp you still have to hunt for food?? which takes up to 18+ game hours at times. 

They have this great overland map that makes it feel like you are really exploring a vast world, and a quest system that makes time actually matter. However, then they throw things in like permanent debuffs that can only be removed by high level spells or by resting in town ... which can be a long way away!

And the rng, omg. I've had my party of 6 players miss an easy target for rounds on end because I keep rolling 1-5 or something on the d20. Or getting owned by a mob that seems to be able to chain cast hold person and everyone fails their saves; meanwhile that mob is immune to control spells, haha. Its very funny at times.

The game is so close to being brilliant. When it hits its groove I feel like I've finally found a dream rpg; but that feeling only comes in spurts, hmmm a diamond in the rough perhaps.

AlBQuirky
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    I'm really enjoying the hell out of this, despite not really caring for D&D PnP style game design.  Guess I have to give them two thumbs up.
    YashaX

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.