Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for EQ1 players

12346»

Comments

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,286
    Darksworm said:
    EQ is from a different era, and you weren't given *no* direction.  That's what other players were for - the expectations were different back then.  You logged in, and if you needed help you asked.  Friendly players would help you.

The issue with EQ is that they made it almost impossible for the average person to become invested in the IP.  They scattered lore across the map, and they made players go on massive treasure hunting time sinks, talking to every NPC to find them - then piece together the lore nuggets.

This meant that the game was very open to attack by other games that delivered content in a better way, which the next generation of MMORPGs did (WoW, EQ2, L2, etc.).

It also hurt EQ2 and EQNext, as it limited the impact of any marketing they would do for those games.

I don't think that kind of game is viable in the West, unless developed with quite low expectations.  Most people simply don't want to play a low-value gaming experience like this; and I don't expect Vanguard to be any better.  You don't need to log into a game to socialize.  You can run discord and do that while playing any game.  Sitting in front of a computer progressing at snails pace pressing the same buttons over and over while paying for it and getting very little out of your time investment is simply not a good deal.

This is why faster paced leveling experiences with better PvP and more brisk content releases have taken over the market.
    One thing in particular I'd like to comment on.  The 'developed with quite low expectations' thing seems incredibly insightful, but as we can see on these forums, once the players learn of a game they form expectations.  Often these initial expectations are far beyond anything the developers intend or are capable of delivering.  This immediately escalates into a hype train, and the players are ultimately disappointed when (and if) the product ever appears.

In a nutshell, players indulge in a flurry of self-delusion that is unchecked by the developers -- they're too busy building a game to monitor and guide expectations (ideally).  By the time the development team does hire community managers, it is rarely to help tune the player's expectations with concise facts.  Instead, they develop elaborate web pages designed to market the game, hiding features behind prose, which only leads to more incorrect assumptions and misunderstandings.

My conclusion.  There isn't going to be a new MMORPG that won't come without a significant set of preexisting expectations and a cloud of product misinformation.  It's just the way the business works, and how the customers react.

P.S. - I do like your observations about EQ1.  Unlike almost every game since, EQ1 just appeared on the scene with little-to-no preformed expectations.  I suspect that is partially why is succeeded.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.