Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel 9900K and 9700K will Be Soldered

TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 20,639
Intel is pushing the 9 series hard. I've wondered about heat issues and this tiny bit of news signals that Intel isn't taking any chances. A few years ago they moved away from soldering the CPU to the IHS.

There are a few implications here. Intel is pushing their CPUs so hard they want to ensure known cooling. It also inhibits or confines modding because it voids the warranty if the soldered IHS is removed/replaced. So if you delid you CPU this may be something to consider.
Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

blueturtle13

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,146
    In all fairness - pretty much every die will have the warranty voided if delidded; it is a rather violent mechanical process.

It is telling to see they are going back to it now after so many generations of cheapening out.

As far as imperfect and messy... I once had a GF who said the same thing about chicken wings. It was just more wings for me.
    Torval[Deleted User]Quizzicallaserit
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 20,639
    It could imply a few things.

- Intel wants to more heavily discourage custom OC modding. This is one small, very inconvenient, way to do so. Why would they want to do that only on their K series HEDT CPUs?

- These are going to run hot and solered IHS will provide a more consistent cooler part out of the box.

- Non-soldered IHS is acceptable in lower end parts but has a higher failure rate in more extreme configurations. This is stretching it because an enthusiast will more likely build custom cooling than anyone else. This supports the idea that they want to stick with out of the box preconfigured vendor OC solutions.
    blueturtle13
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,677
    I think it means that they're feeling more competitive pressure from AMD than they were a few years ago.  Next year, AMD will almost certainly be a process node ahead for the first time ever.  That means that Intel can't cut corners to save money without losing sales.
    rojoArcueidTorvalGorwe
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,146
    edited September 2018
    Torval said:
    It could imply a few things.

- Intel wants to more heavily discourage custom OC modding. This is one small, very inconvenient, way to do so. Why would they want to do that only on their K series HEDT CPUs?

- These are going to run hot and solered IHS will provide a more consistent cooler part out of the box.

- Non-soldered IHS is acceptable in lower end parts but has a higher failure rate in more extreme configurations. This is stretching it because an enthusiast will more likely build custom cooling than anyone else. This supports the idea that they want to stick with out of the box preconfigured vendor OC solutions.
    I tend to agree with Quiz, this is more likely just a result of more direct competition from AMD, it's something Intel has done in the past, and can easily return to without significant cost. It doesn't mean a lot to a layperson, but to an enthusiast who is building out a HEDT they will know the difference and it makes for a cheap marketing point. But you to make some good points and point out some possibilities.

Also, in the FWIW department - you can still delid a soldered IHS, and it will still have better cooling that with the IHS installed. It's just that the difference between lidded and delidded is a lot smaller with solder than with TIM, so it's not nearly as "worth the risk" to delid on soldered IHSs.

For the acronymally-challenged, since I just realized in this one post alone the number of acronyms is approaching a staggering number (and I've been writing grants lately where I've had to be very conscious of using acronyms without definition):

FWIW - For What It's Worth
    IHS - Integrated Heat Spreader
    TIM - Thermal Interface Material
    AMD - Advanced Micro Devices
    HEDT - High End Desk Top
    CPU - Central Processing Unit
    OC - Overclock
    Torval