Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Matrix Online: Server Consolidation

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

The nine Matrix Online worlds will be merged into only three. This is probably the first large move in the era of SOE. Unlike typical mergers, all three servers coming together will then enter a brand new world, as named by the community.

The Matrix Online is a game that, ultimately, is about community; for that reason we want to see that players can meet easily and join together in-game for fun and friendship. Recently, members of the community have noted that it can be difficult to find other players in The Matrix: Mega City. The current level of population density can limit opportunities for socializing with other players which are such a key part of our worlds.

You can read all the details here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• jackman11118jackman11118 Member Posts: 399

Its a good move. There just isnt enough people to fill 9 servers.

/clap

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    nighty night MxO.

Joined - July 2004

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383
    Now they need to do this with Star Wars Galaxies. Every 3 servers into 1. Balanced by population of course.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Poor MxO. ::::21::

as far as SWG is concearned.....I don't see where theere's a population problem on the three servers I play on (Bria, Corbantis, and Ahzi...or however it's spelled.) If anything, it's a little over-crowded.

lol....back to one star I see. Sad that one's rating is totally depenant on frequency of posts, and not quantity/quality of posts and length of membership.

• StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263

Consolidtaing the servers is just SOE's way of saying "We aren't going to make the game better to attract more players. Instead, we'll just go with the current playerbase we have left and throw them together."

Like I said before, MxO is going down the same path Planetside went. Consolidate the employees, consolidate the servers, and milk the money earned to support other upcoming games and EQ2.

• necbonenecbone Member Posts: 358
    someone really fucked this game up...
  • JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642
    Originally posted by Stellus

Consolidtaing the servers is just SOE's way of saying "We aren't going to make the game better to attract more players. Instead, we'll just go with the current playerbase we have left and throw them together."
    Like I said before, MxO is going down the same path Planetside went. Consolidate the employees, consolidate the servers, and milk the money earned to support other upcoming games and EQ2.

Agreed!  The only reason MxO is alive at SOE is so they can screw up the DC comic hero franchise the same way they have morphed "Star War" ,which is a Giant Jar of Gelatious Goo.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• QwirkQwirk Member Posts: 136

Originally posted by Stellus

Well, let's take a look at life since the SOE buyout:
    Monolith's 80 employees + unnumbered LET members
    down to 25 employees and "we'll think about Live Events, much less a LET"

From 9 servers to "we only feel like paying for three servers' worth of maintenance".

Anyone else see a trend?
    If MxO survives the year's worth of story Paul Chadwick already has written out, I'll be shocked.
    IF any new content is added, I'll be shocked (and by new I do not mean the 'Combat Upgrade' they already have hinted at. Also, Pandora's Box was in development before the buyout, so that won't count either).

Farewell MxO, we hardly knew ye
    ::::21::

• bobothewizarbobothewizar Member Posts: 56

Originally posted by remyburke
    nighty night MxO.

IS this thing actually any good? Apparently they mis-calculated the amount of popularity this would generate if they are already "downsizing" to 3 servers.

Must not have been good enough to hold peoples attention or most people just didnt like it.

• LasherinoLasherino Member Posts: 10
    I was one of the ones who didn't like it, just played for the first 30 days..... ideas was good, combat was great, but don't know how they could make a game in a so horrible way, lots of bugs, client problems, server problems..... :(
  • TrimiTrimi Member Posts: 2

Where did they hint at a combat upgrade? I'd like to read details on that? Link, perhaps? Thanks

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Wharg0ul
    Poor MxO. ::::21::as far as SWG is concearned.....I don't see where theere's a population problem on the three servers I play on (Bria, Corbantis, and Ahzi...or however it's spelled.) If anything, it's a little over-crowded.lol....back to one star I see. Sad that one's rating is totally depenant on frequency of posts, and not quantity/quality of posts and length of membership.

There isn't, but many just want to keep pumping out that the servers are empty for the sake of doomsaying.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by bobothewizar
    Originally posted by remyburke nighty night MxO.
    IS this thing actually any good? Apparently they mis-calculated the amount of popularity this would generate if they are already "downsizing" to 3 servers.

Must not have been good enough to hold peoples attention or most people just didnt like it.

Its ok, but the only reason I play it now is because its moving to station pass, which means I can play it for free. If that wasn't the case I would not bother playing it.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World