Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saga of Blood is Coming on September 27th to Age of Conan - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageSaga of Blood is Coming on September 27th to Age of Conan - MMORPG.com

Funcom has announced that its next Age of Conan Saga Server (a limited time server) is coming on September 27th. Called Saga of Blood, the limited-time PvP ruleset server where players will create a brand new character, play through a Saga Quest and complete objectives to earn "exclusive cosmetics and high-level PvP gear". Players will also be able to try for a shot on the leaderboards and much more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    This is another limited time server they are becoming nearly as common as a BR mode. :)

Wondering what effect these are having on their games, the population of other servers, the way players see games should be played and so on. For example if you play on a server where progression is greatly accelerated are you going to want just that from now on?
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    i honestly didnt know this game was still active. loved it at launch. havent played in forever.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I just saw Sage of and assumed Saga of Lucima was arriving  :(
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2018
    Didn't the first time limited server die out pretty quick? Like a month into the time frame or something like that. "Easy money" I guess since there's minimal investment for doing stuff like this. All you're doing is re-releasing the game in its prepatched state or with cut off features.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Scot said:
    Wondering what effect these are having on their games, the population of other servers, the way players see games should be played and so on. For example if you play on a server where progression is greatly accelerated are you going to want just that from now on?
    The first Saga server (PvE) actually helped the game's pop.   Yes while it was active Crom (PvE server) was dead, but Saga brought back old players and brand new one's to the game, most of which stayed with the game when it ended and their characters were transferred to Crom.

As far as the acceleration factor goes; yes there were a couple of double XP weeks and everyone got the VIP's extra 30% xp on kills, but all in all it wasn't a zoom fest.  Plus since the goal now a days in most games seems to be to get to max level as soon as possible I'd have to say there were alot of happy lvl 80's that got transferred and those that didn't hit max just picked up on Crom where getting to lvl 80 even without the extra 30% isn't all that hard.
    Scot

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I could only imagine what a ghost town servers must be now. I remembered when this game launched it was pretty dam fun couldn't imagine going back now though
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Albatroes said:
    Didn't the first time limited server die out pretty quick? Like a month into the time frame or something like that.

All you're doing is re-releasing the game in its prepatched state or with cut off features.
    No it ran the entire 3 month period.  While a handful of over-achievers did max out to lvl 80 in less than 1 - 2 day's most didn't until towards the end of the 2nd month / beginning of the 3rd month.  In fact it was only in the last 2 weeks that it got hard to complete the raid portion of the quest requirements.

It wasn't any prepatched version, but the normal game.  Funcom just shut down existing claims account's had and the Vet token vendor to keep items out of the game which normally give a bonus to some players (better weapons, xp potions etc...).  It was an attempt to level the playing field for all same as starting everyone as lvl 1's on day 1.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited September 2018
    Yep, as Nebless said the first Saga was really crowded, almost like the launch just without the bugged missions and without the lack of content in the mid-level range :smile:
    It was active all through the allotted 3 months, not only at the cap with the raid finder, but in the lowbie regions as well - towards the end you still could see plenty of fresh characters running missions in Tortage.

I'm curious how will this one fare, however. I don't like pvp, and that the character will end up on Fury when the Saga is over... not a cheerful prospect. Not to mention Tortage will be a 3 months long slaughterhouse, if the progression questline will need player kills... everyone will farm the low level players there. The late starters will have a really tough time during the first 20 levels.

On the other hand, the rewards look nice.
    thunderC said:
    I could only imagine what a ghost town servers must be now. 
    True for Fury (Pvp server), but Crom's not doing too bad.  I was running a character through Tortage 2 weeks ago just for fun and there were always others there when I was on.   Same for alot of the other regions my other character would be in.

• AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375
    That song in the trailer brings back so much nostalgia , great game for it's time!
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    @Nebless what's your take after the first day?
    The launch was similarly crowded than Zath's, but I think simply due to the pvp (and the pvp players) it will be less popular on the long run. The chat was already more toxic than Crom's on a worse day, and it is just the beginning. But the handful ( :smile: ) of Fury players will have a swell time there for sure.

Unless those packs mess up everything right at the start... (typical Funcom move)
    Po_gg said:
    @Nebless what's your take after the first day?

Unless those packs mess up everything right at the start... (typical Funcom move)
    I dipped my toe into Pvp shortly after the game launched oh so many years ago, got ganked, found out my computer wasn't good enough, left and never went back.

I've Pvp'd in SWG, Vendetta and PotBS, I don't really like Pvp, but with those I've always felt like I had a chance, never got that from AoC.

And it seems like they did mess something up as the servers were taken down shortly after launch for a hotfix!    :)