Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fact check: People say WoW is dying and losing players in BFA

124»

Comments

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Rhoklaw said:
    Actually, WoW is dead and has been for a long time. Whatever game I was playing back in 2004-2008 no longer exists.
    The only FACT that doesn't need checking!
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,455
    btdt said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Actually, WoW is dead and has been for a long time. Whatever game I was playing back in 2004-2008 no longer exists.
    Facts pulled out of the darkest part of your opinion aren't facts! ;)
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    btdt said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Rhoklaw isn't wrong either though, the WoW of back then is not really present in todays WoW as things have really changed that much, its not just a matter of there being more content, the Character classes have changed, professions have changed, its all so much that the differences between then and now are total, todays WoW might have some visual similarities but thats pretty much it.
    Of course that is just my opinion, but it is based on observable evidence of what is present in todays WoW and my own memories of what WoW used to be, however faulty that may be. :/
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,455
    Phry said:
    btdt said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Rhoklaw isn't wrong either though, the WoW of back then is not really present in todays WoW as things have really changed that much, its not just a matter of there being more content, the Character classes have changed, professions have changed, its all so much that the differences between then and now are total, todays WoW might have some visual similarities but thats pretty much it.
    Of course that is just my opinion, but it is based on observable evidence of what is present in todays WoW and my own memories of what WoW used to be, however faulty that may be. :/
    WoW isn't dead. That's a fact you can verify without much effort on the official site.
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Phry said:
    btdt said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    WoW isn't dead. That's a fact you can verify without much effort on the official site.
    True, but it doesn't mean both statements cannot be true as they are entirely conditional, although if Classic WoW does 'bring back' a particularly desired version of the game, then the 'dead' version that currently only exists on private servers, might again 'live' in a more legitimate fashion ;)
    Rhoklaw
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    edited December 2018
    Me and my friend from Blizz argue this non stop until we're blue in the face. He says according to the numbers they have available, the game is in fact actually growing.

I say the game has been dying since WoD. At least, in the area of the games I frequent, PvP, outside Durotar/Stormwind/GS for duels/world PvP, that part is 100% dying/dead lol.

There is an argument to be made that old school zones like that are dying because of all the new areas introduced.. but I'm not really buying it.

After WoD dropped, my friends list of about 90-100 people shrunk to about 2-4 active players, literally on launch day. And these are people who I had been playing with since 2010, and some have been playing since Vanilla, to me, that's proof enough.

I was very much an elitist by the end of MoP, raiding about 25 hours a week on two characters, a lot of us were concerned with the changes Blizz made later on to cater to casuals, the skill squish, removal of important ICD trinkets that had to be tracked, snapshotting, forced 20 man Mythics (aka.. Heroics, back in the day) when it was hard enough finding 10 competent players who could pull their weight, and then of course adding another a FIFTH difficulty for raid content, Flex, all of this made the game into a casual joke.

It would make sense if numbers were up, because everybody is able to compete with very little/no research/ involved, hardly any learning curve, and mostly everybody now gets carried by gear in order to clear content, but a lot of hardcore raiders and guild ended up breaking up and quitting for good after all of this went down.

Personally by the last day of MoP my one main Druid had 174 days played at max level, and I had a Rogue at around 60, and Priest around 30. Since MoP my Druid hasn't even ended an expansion at 15 days. I think she's at like 10 right now for this trash xpac, and I won't be resubbing.  :'( :(
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member LegendaryPosts: 7,405
    Phry said:
    btdt said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Currently WoW has some 1.7 million subscribers not counting China. So no, it's not dead. My point is, back in 2008 to 2010, right around when Cataclysm launched, WoW went from it's peak of 12 million subscribers down to 10 million and has slowly declined ever since.

So, when a boss mob has 12 million hit points and is now down to 1.7 million health? Would you say it's dying?