Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

delete

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2018
    What you are proposing is actually the exact OPPOSITE of what others are doing.  Look at Camelot Unchained.  They deservedly get beaten up for the length of their development, but their focus has been on making the actual technology to allow massive amounts of players to be on screen, fighting it out at the same time.  In essence, making sure the MMO part of the MMO game actually works.

When I hear that "CIG has not started work yet on the technology" it is simply stunning and tells me that the actual game release is still... at a minimum... multiple years away.

I can't wait until they use the excuse that they have to go back and re-work stuff to make it compatible with their server mesh system and that's why it's delayed.
    So? There are cases on both, DU or CU as large-scale MP was one of their main pitches so logically gets prioritized as what is being done first, that was quite the opposite case with SC where the scope changed years later on the MP scale of the game to what is now described as the server mesh.

But they still work in order, because unlikely the server mesh would work without the network culling features or object container streaming. R&D/Prototyping and all kinda play in the sidelines to do the necessary figuring out.

It's not what you said but how you said it.  That's pretty much what civil means.  Even this response is telling me a couple of times that I was wrong, I guess just in case I didn't get it the last few times you told me.

I already know that arguments concerning SC tend to end up going around in circles which is pretty much why I don't.  
    As you might have noticed English is not my mother language, the part on how I say or even perceive how someone says something had create some derpy situations, several of those with rpmcmurphy over there.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    MaxBacon said:
    As you might have noticed English is not my mother language, the part on how I say or even perceive how someone says something had create some derpy situations, several of those with rpmcmurphy over there.
    I have to agree with the sentiment. English being the idiosyncratic poo that it is can make these situations quite awkward at times :)
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited December 2019
    Post edited by NorseGod on
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Jamar870 said:
    If it's beta then why do they say Alpha?
    How can it be in alpha (despite what they call it) when it is pretty much open access?
    I was just to the offical site and it says  Alpha 3.2.

edited December 2019
    Slapshot1188someforumguycraftseekerKefo
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    The issue is on you (OP) as you rightfully wrote ("I think I Made a Mistake").
    It seems you went head first into something you don't fully grasp and are now feeling the burn of the bumpy ride that is game development.

Maybe it's time to step aside and go for greener pastures before burn yourself out ;)
    edited December 2019
    craftseeker
    edited September 2018
    NorseGod said:
    Their website is at the core of issues behind both of these threads.

The problem isn't only with what is said on their website, but also what isn't said. There is a lot of important information not on their website, hidden in hour+ videos 3 times a week for the last 6 years.

And if you didn't know something about this game prior to buying into it, then you're a "dummy". Because somebody at CIG made a statement in a 2013 video at the 1:23:45 mark, that may or may not be a real answer. And like, "you should have known better, hater". Or something like that.
    There are several places where backers gather up and organized the design of the game and confirmed stuff 

Such as this one (Economy & Professions):
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/star-citizen-economy-and-employment

And this one (Outposts, land claims and nodes):
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/outposts-land-claims-and-nodes-how-does-it-all-fit

Or this one (Service Beacons):
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/service-beacons-reputation-and-exploits

Now if you want all info you need hand-fed it's not going to be easy because SC is no linear game and looking at details and specifics there's no website that can organize all that, it's a sandbox they just put the mechanics in and you do whatever you want, it's the whole pitch of SC, anything that makes sense on that setting realistically is something SC is overall doing, that obviously, implies the game is OWPVP.
    edited December 2019

edited September 2018
    NorseGod said:
    Show me video of Modules working in game. Or Hired NPCs running ship turrets. These are core mechanics that ships are designed around. Shouldn't they get the core mechanic working BEFORE selling ships that depend upon those mechanics?

At least when I bought the Cutlass Black, my ships' gimmick was in the game, even though they took it out later.

They sold $700 A2 Hercs. The gimmick for the A2 Herc is that it's a gunship the drops MOABs. Show me a demo of bombs working in game.

You see, after 6-8 years, people don't want to be given links from other players, showing them flowcharts or interviews where every question is answered with "We want to have..." as the person is looking up at the ceiling.
    If you are buying into a concept, you should be AWARE you are buying into a concept, anything beyond that is just entitlement... if you want the mechanic working they buy it when it is implemented or don't buy it at all because even after the first implementations of a mechanic, it STILL can change and differ from the concept.

It's not hard, don't want to hear about concepts, ignore them until they are implemented... As many people do.

If a mechanic, ship related or not, has not been implemented and is not actively in that process, then all you'll hear from any developer is "wants & plans" either you like it or not.

NorseGodGrindcoreTHRALL
    Welcome to the unpredictable and bumpy road of crowdfunding and game development.
    Nobody forced you to join the ride but you did so anyway so might as well enjoy the ride because asking the "Are we there yet" certainly won't ease the pain or make it go faster lol
    edited December 2019

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Babuinix said:
    Welcome to the unpredictable and bumpy road of crowdfunding and game development.
    Nobody forced you to join the ride but you did so anyway so might as well enjoy the ride because asking the "Are we there yet" certainly won't ease the pain or make it go faster lol
    I'd counter that as I do not think it describes Star Citizen.

Star Citizen is more like:

Your friend planned a trip from NY to LA and asked everyone to chip in for it.  It started out as 5 friends that were going to take a week to drive there.  After the car left, your friend decided to stop and visit every state.  He also made it a caravan that now has 300 vehicles. As time went on, the $250 bucks you each put in is dwarfed by the size of "donations" he now collects from new people. Some of them pay $20,000 to join. He no longer tells you when you can expect to get to LA.  He's now talking about adding side trips to visit parts of Canada and Mexico because he polled 6 guys in car 32 and they all liked the idea. 

Telling your friend to get back on track and get to LA might actually help get there faster...
    Sure, I can get out and find my own way home I suppose... but I'd really rather my friend ditch the crazy extra stuff and just get us to LA.  See, we actually had a friendship when this thing started.  We had trust.  I'd hate to throw that relationship away... it's lasted for nearly 30 years and we took many trips together in the past which went well.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited September 2018
    Sigh... again with the armchair dev'ing... giving dumb and simplistic analogy's with zero insight.

That only reinforces that you have no clue about game development lol...

Do yourself a favour and read the book Blood, Sweat & Pixels , thank me later.
    Babuinix said:
    Sigh... again with the armchair dev'ing... giving dumb and simplistic analogy's with zero insight.

That only reinforces that you have no clue about game development lol...

Do yourself a favour and try to get the hold of the book Blood, Sweat & Pixels , thank me later.
    Ahh the oft disproven “You must be a Dev in order t say anything about game developing” defense.  I’ll simply point to Ashes of Creation.  A game being created by a guy with zero development experience but lots of gaming and business experience.  I may not like the guy and his game may or may not flop but he’s shown more aptitude for actually developing a game, in the time he said he would, than all these industry vets.
    NorseGodKyleran

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

It's not about "being" a Dev , it's about knowing about what you are talking so you don't make dumb ass comparisons.

I'll try to put it simple.

How many road-trips from NY to LA have been accomplished since 2012?

How many games with the scope, scale and visual fidelity of Star Citizen/Squadron42 have been accomplished since 2012?
    Babuinix said:
    It's not about "being" a Dev , it's about knowing about what you are talking so you don't make dumb ass comparisons.

I'll try to put it simple.

How many road-trips from NY to LA have been accomplished since 2012?

How many games with the scope, scale and visual fidelity of Star Citizen/Squadron42 have been accomplished since 2012?
    Since 2014 we have had the release of not one, not two... not 3... but 4 Star Wars films with all the requisite ground breaking special effects.  Think about that for a minute. It will take less time to create and release an entire trilogy of Star Wars films, plus at least 2 anthology films... than Star Citizen is taking.

So yeah... I do not need to be a developer to know how silly that is.  Don't live in a bubble.

I love Chris Roberts.  I really do... but he's demonstrated a need to have someone else running things.  He's a creative genius but stinks at project management. If these crowdfunded MMOs have taught us one thing, it's that maybe just giving creative people free reign to do whatever they want is not the best way to develop games...

You just go from full on armchair dev comparing army boots with parrots with a straight face lol

Oh and btw why isn't there a Star Wars mmorpg game with similar scope of Star Citizen after all these years?

Oh boy you must love those Battlefronts lol
    Babuinix said:

Oh and btw why isn't there a Star Wars mmorpg game with similar scope of Star Citizen after all these years?

Oh boy you must love those Battlefronts lol
    Need I point out that there isn't an actual Star Citizen game with the scope of Star Citizen either?

Kefo

edited December 2019
    Slapshot1188
    edited September 2018
    Slapshot1188 said:
    Need I point out that there isn't an actual Star Citizen game with the scope of Star Citizen either?
    There isn't one MMO like SC; nuf said.

It's not even its big scope, it's just the fact after games like Freelancer and SWG there has not been any worthy successor.
    edited December 2019
    craftseeker
    NorseGod said:
    You're right...

because they released. 
    No little NorseGod, because there isn't, neither released or unreleased known title.
    edited September 2018
    Yet none of them have similar scope, scale and visual fidelity of Star Citizen and Squadron 42 lol

Have you wondered why you are so engaged in discussing Star Citizen when you could be playing ED, NMS, the FPS in the top charts or any other released game for that matter?

I think I can tell why:

- Because it's the only hope for this type of ambitious game on the horizon.

Everything pales in comparison and you get frustrated because you keep seeing all these weekly updates and news popping out of cool stuff but all you want to is to play the damn finished game, well that's not how it works lol

You succumb to the frustration and simple turn into the typical Angry Gamer.

So you come to the forums and unleash that frustration trying to ease the pain by holding on to any kind of theory that can make sense in your head and give you some kind of comfort of mind lol

I can understand where that frustration comes from but I have no sympathy for silly arguments or uninformed rambles.

Game Development takes time, the more complex and ambitious the game is the longer it takes. Quite straightforward.

Chris Roberts games always pushed the envelop, they always went over-budget and always suffered delays. They were also always great games who not only helped shape the game scene of of space-games but also cinematic story-telling, because of that they garnered such appreciation from many nostalgic fans.

With that said, I never played any of his games and I didn't knew about Chris Roberts before I discovered Star Citizen around 2013.

I learned all this because I did the same any adult would (should) do before investing money in anything. I did my research accessed the risks and decided accordingly.

I knew that most likely the game wouldn't be all that was aiming for but I liked the idea and saw the determination of doing something that other studios frown upon, take risks in a (at the time) dead genre game.

So excuse me if I call out people throwing a tantrum because a video-game is taking longer than they would like to lol
    Post edited by Babuinix on
    craftseeker
    edited December 2019
    MaxBacon