Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Star Citizen more expensive than any subscription based MMO?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
In WoW for example I only pay 15 USD a month, but sometimes I have enough gold to just pay someone else to pay my game time for me. Once every 2-3 years is a 50 dollar expansion (if didn't get collectors edition). 

Everquest 2 is only 15 a month, more expensive than WoW with all its expansions, but still not too bad

EVE Online is very free, and only 15 dollars a month if want to unlock more stuff. Plus free expansions

star citizen however, people are spending 10s of thousands, a couple even 100+ thousand dollars on the game. You can buy ships worth 100s and 1000s of dollars. 

A lot of people in the past complained about subscription MMOs being too expensive. But now we have star citizen where its easy to pay for so much for ships. And yes at release you can unlock them for free...but its not even close to release so that isn't going to take into account cause I'm talking about NOW. And NOW if you want to buy ships and stuff, you must pay so much money to get them. 

Its actually a lot more expensive than any subscription MMO I've played, if you want to unlock all the content inside the game. I dont even spend 1000 a year on WoW, yet one ship in Star Citizen can cost more than that.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Kyleran

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    edited September 2018
    Star Citizen costs you 35 bucks

Everything else is voluntary, like in any crowdfunding project. But you do not need it, as you can get all in game after the game has launched, with in game money.

If you want to play with ships you do not have in your pledge package ... just ask another player. Many will let you fly it and you can try it. Join a player org. They recruit new players with the very promise of letting you fly all kinds of org ships, as pilot or crew member.

Or you can do some playtesting, earn in game money called REC and "lease" other ships with REC for a week to test them. I have a few hundredthousand REC ... i have tested quite a lot of ships already.

Have fun

alkarionlogWalkinGlennMaxBaconBabuinixKyleran
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    If you want to get everything, then yes.

Or speaking more generally, MMOs with box price, sub fee, and paid-for expansions are cheaper for those who want to get all the stuff, while MMOs that have microtransactions can be played cheaper but in the end cost more if you want to have everything.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Not a valid comparison, imo.   Erillion is right on there.  

Of course, the others are finished games, and for SC you have to be happy playing the disjointed bits of the game on alpha playtest style servers.  No real permanence yet, and it will be years before you get that.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Arglebargle is right.  An alpha should be compared to other alphas and it is expensive to compete and very hard to fly around in a $35 ship when it looks like a lot of people are talking about putting their 'fleet' together.  If there budget can stand spending thousands on entertainment then good for them.

I do see more alphas having packages that go up to $10,000.  So perhaps it's the new norm, I can't say for sure, time will tell.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    If you have to 'buy everything', it is a personal issue.   

However, Star Citizen would very much like to have you as a client.....   So too would every other game company in the world, I guess.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Sure, some you say you can get said item in game for game money. But really i am lmao.. So how much game money do i need for a person who bought a ship for 1K cash?It will take 3 years (Figure of speech)to grind for that in game money to pay for the 1K Real Money ship! No thanks i will pass on this game..

I retired retroactively..Haha

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    No final decisions should be make anyways during an alpha period IMO, development changes way to much, best wait anyway or start really small if you want to get in early.  For SC wait for another free fly weekend and see for yourself.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    It costs what you want it to.  I don't feel that I have to compete with other players.  Now. . if I am trying to fly around and make money or collect a bounty etc. and someone who bought a ship face rolls me. . .and I can't progress because of that. . then It would cost a lot to keep playing and enjoy it.  I am guessing / hoping that isn't going to be the case.  Also, Squadron 42.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited September 2018
    Star Citizen is B2P, it costs you the price of the base package and that's it.

EVERY MMO that has microtransactions is more expensive than any SUB MMO if you so wish to buy everything you want in cash shops or whatever, it costs you what you want it to cost you, you have the option to play for it or not. 

(that option is to exists here, even though typically F2P/B2P MMO's don't like to let players play for the things they monetize with microtransactions)

And you're talking about now, who cares about now, the game is inconsequential at this stage on purpose, it's not yet one MMO.