Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOFTW - Big News Galore - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageMMOFTW - Big News Galore - MMORPG.com

This week's MMOFTW is a ton of huge news - from Breach's first testing phases to the shut down of WildStar, and the selling of CCP to BDO's maker, it's been a busy week. Take it in and learn!

Read the full story here

Comments

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    10/10 on the audio. Finally the balance between music and voice is just right for me. I still prefer no background music when am listening to someone talking, but this is the next best thing.
    BillMurphyAlverantBeezerbeez
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    I'm interesting to hear more about the new Lotro mmorpg. I doubt I am capable of hype anymore but at least there's always hope I suppose.
    BillMurphymeonthissite[Deleted User]

You stay sassy!

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I forgot all about that! Probably because there’s not a lot on it yet.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2018
    Well the mobile idea was Smedley's idea before he got to Daybreak,so it was expected.I now know how their smaller team operates,so i wouldn't expect anything good to ever come out of DB games ever again.
    Breach,looks cheap,might be polished sure but i would expect 5% of a complete rpg to be polished.
    Game development seems so easy now that too many devs are getting in,quick to make cheap games,the market is flooded with stuff i have no interest in playing.

I wonder with the current trend in making half assed games,easy to make games ,will i ever see another large "complete" mmorpg. Who is going to build it,there are maybe 2-3 devs that could pull it off ,instead we will keep seeing more stuff that looks like moba's/arpg's.
    The one tidbit that caught my ears was the mention of THQ's acquisition of Amalur.My hunch is the simply want the assets or want to turn it into some superficial cash shop game,basically they saw a price they couldn't refuse.So i wouldn't hold my breathe expecting much good to come of this.

Solancer

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I'm glad you're back to mention the bad Wildstar news. I enjoyed it too but it didn't really pull me in enough to play it daily like other MMOs. Maybe if I found a guild I meshed with (I admit, I didn't really try after my test run of a PvP guild failed) things would have been different. I hope there will be private servers. I'm just not sure how I'd be able to access them if I ever want to go back and play. But I do have to disagree about the speed to get to the level cap. One of my complaints about the game was how quickly I reached 50. When I played CoX it took me months to reach 50, here it took weeks. To me the journey to 50 is more important than actually being there. Wildstar seemed to rush everyone there. Thanks again!
    Blaze_Rocker
  • IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Great Vid!! Can't wait for next Week's News :)
    Rock on!
  • ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Sad news on Wildstar. Very excellent MMO.
    Xarkodrkmgicindyin
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Haha, "Into the Abyss"! Now that's fitting xD
    bcbully

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    I welcome cross platform myself. It's about time!

I cannot wait to hear more about the new LOTR game! I hope it's an mmo and that it goes way beyond what turbine did with the game and then later with the classes. I did enjoy the hell out of my loremaster here's to hoping they bring that class arch-type over to a new platform!
  • Darkkrow13Darkkrow13 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    so when is WILDSTAR going to shut down have they set a date for it yet?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    edited September 2018
    I don’t think we are “lucky” seeing any MMO go mobile, it is a downgrading of the title, taking gaming from its best platforms to its worst.

AoC – I have never seen a spell that makes you go invisible have so much sparkly give your location away lights needed to cast it. :D

More seriously, if AoC has a BR mode before the game is launched the chances it will be there in some form at launch does raise its head. I don’t think I need to go over the problems that occur from having different sorts of PvP and the rewards issues that can spring up. Hey, I am not even going to mention lore, who cares about that in MMO’s these days anyway?

Sad to see Wildstar go, another nail in the coffin for any MMO setting that is not fantasy. Diversity is the spice of anything and without it in setting MMOs become lesser. But was it just pushing the boundaries too far? Sci-Fi plus Western plus the comedy? MMO setting is incredibly conservative, right form the start I questioned if that would be too much.

Kingdoms of Amalur was one of my favourite RPG’s, will it finally become a MMO, we can only hope. The lore (remember that’s the thing nobody cares about in MMOs now) was really nicely done. :)
    Post edited by Scot on
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    sad news about wildstar, good luck to the devs, hopefully they find a better situation soon.
    Chaserz
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• BeowulfsamBeowulfsam Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Lol Wildstar. Our guild was in testing and devs literally listened to none of our complaints, what's more, they were arrogant saying they know stuff and we're just some chumps that play games and in the end wouldn't even discuss things anymore. I guess they just wanted free bug testers. The initial fast player decline to F2P to closure had been pretty well predicted. Well, here ya go, devs, guess who was right. Sorry, not sorry for you.
    jonp200
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    Good entertaining & informative video ... thanks.
  • EvilGamingEvilGaming Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I actually loved wildstar but the community was just toxic i capped out long before the f2p launch and ended up quitting the game due to 0 progression after max lvl couldn't get into raid because people would literally bash you and not let you in because you didn't have a high enough gear score but the only way to get on your feet was to do raids to get the gear for the gear score so i quit and came back after the f2p launch and had a hoot of a time by lvling a separate character to max lvl with a few friends only to run into the exact same situation and everyone stopped playing once again
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Lol Wildstar. Our guild was in testing and devs literally listened to none of our complaints, what's more, they were arrogant saying they know stuff and we're just some chumps that play games and in the end wouldn't even discuss things anymore. I guess they just wanted free bug testers. The initial fast player decline to F2P to closure had been pretty well predicted. Well, here ya go, devs, guess who was right. Sorry, not sorry for you.

Arrogant people, what can you do with them!
    What were your guilds complaints anyway?
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    edited September 2018
    I hope the industry doesn't move toward mobile-only, but if it does I won't play games anymore. That won't be years from now, but I hope to hell that when I can retire in 20-30 years and work on my Steam library, it will be on a big HUD of some kind and not some small shitty screen.

Gut Out!
    Lokero

What, me worry?