Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOTA COO/Founder no longer with Portalarium.

Dallas Snell was one of Portalarium's co-founders in 2009, Chairman, the COO (usually the second in command in a firm), provided operational management and was the second major stockholder after Richard Garriott.
He was also the co-founder of Origin, Austin in 1986, together with Garriott.
He is not listed on the team page which finally has been updated after 2 years

Found on the SotA Reddit sub. https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar/comments/9e38os/did_dallas_snell_leave_portalarium/

It looks like he's gone, but  nothing is known as to why.

JamesGoblin

Comments

• DracSchniderDracSchnider Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Thought that was old news.  He was gone along with the Staff reductions I believe.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,049
    Fierce name.
    JamesGoblin
    Chamber of Chains
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    Thought that was old news.  He was gone along with the Staff reductions I believe.
    No.  The COO leaving was never disclosed.  When they reduced their team by half the only executive that was confirmed gone was the Senior Community Manager.  This guy leaving would have been a bigger deal than when Berek left.
    JamesGoblin
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    SOTA was a failure of a game.  I am not surprised by this.   This game lacked a direction.  It tried to be 4 different type of games in 1.  
    JamesGoblin
    Considering they have a CEO usually you don't need a COO they often put both positions into one. So if one was right sizing that would be a position that should be eliminated if there is an acting CEO.
    JamesGoblin
    danwest58 said:
    SOTA was a failure of a game.  I am not surprised by this.   This game lacked a direction.  It tried to be 4 different type of games in 1.  

I disagree with this Danwest58.   They have a long term direction for all chapters.  However because this is a player backed game the players often request changes which they sometime alter some of the current systems to meet player demands.  Since R53 Release they have been working a lot with the remaining player base as well listening to those that had / have concerns and fixing the issues that have been mentioned since the beginning. 

Ep1 was to build the core systems they have said that since day 1.   now that core systems are in place along with the tools they now are expanding the systems to meet what players asked for as well to bring in other options.
    MightyUnclean[Deleted User]Aragon100JamesGoblin
    edited September 2018
    Considering they have a CEO usually you don't need a COO they often put both positions into one. So if one was right sizing that would be a position that should be eliminated if there is an acting CEO.
    Considering the CEO is Richard Garriott, and he doesn't even work in Austin this creates even more cause for concern.  Their CEO is hardly involved, the only person that is leading in Austin is Darhkstarr and he's only a Producer.

Three people founded Portalarium, and now two of them are gone?  The first founder to leave was the first CEO. I think Snell has been the COO for Portalarium since the company was founded in 2009 and you think his leaving quietly either right before or right after the game launched commercially is "right sizing"?   That's pure insanity.
    jimmywolfHluill
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    don't crowdfund games they always lie about how the game is going to turn out and Richard Garriot lied to the supporters and changed the combat system in the end and it made the game suck!
    JamesGoblin
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Abandon ship!
    DracSchniderJamesGoblin
    Raquis said:
    don't crowdfund games they always lie about how the game is going to turn out and Richard Garriot lied to the supporters and changed the combat system in the end and it made the game suck!
    I don't see where there was lies.  I see where some of the Kickstarter's had a different vision of the game then the creators.   In another Thread blorpkins pointed out a few parts of the goals that were not done or were changed.  That does not make the game a lie.  as to combat what was changed in the end?  they offer both ways to play the old method and the card method.  Both are very effective.  Most play with locked skills since they added charged skills.  Heat is not really an issue as its the same as not having a skill available in a deck.  You can tab target or use cross hairs for more RT combat.  So not sure what is missing or that I see as a combat change.  The original design was just locked glyphs which are still there.   

If you are referring to skills that lead into new abilities unlocked is the only things that currently supports that, however you can mix a locked deck with a single unlocked spot and have your combo skills flick through or lock in the combo skill to the locked using up one of the spaces and you can still do the same as a combo..
    Hluill
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Abandon ship!
    Old news, it sank in 2016. The sad remains of the ship boat are forever sleeping deep beneath, among whales.
     W...aaagh?
    Abandon ship!
    Old news, it sank in 2016. The sad remains of the ship boat are forever sleeping deep beneath, among whales.
    haha not sure what boat you are watching, last numbers show that 

100 new pots for EP2 are sold out, 89 Pot transfers for ep2 almost sold out, and 80 POT nested to map almost sold out.  sure a lot of selling for something that a few think its going down.

Monthly stretch goals are still bringing in the average same as always even with less of a team.  So with half the contract developers gone and the COO etc with the same monthly cash flow coming in seems to show this boat is still moving on water just fine.

Sale on port store are up over all.  New players every day showing up in game.  https://shroudoftheavatar.net/topLocations shows transactions are going up.

I think there are a few chickens running around with heads off stating the sky is falling :) 
    Abandon ship!

100 new pots for EP2 are sold out, 89 Pot transfers for ep2 almost sold out, and 80 POT nested to map almost sold out.  sure a lot of selling for something that a few think its going down.

Monthly stretch goals are still bringing in the average same as always even with less of a team.  So with half the contract developers gone and the COO etc with the same monthly cash flow coming in seems to show this boat is still moving on water just fine.

Sale on port store are up over all.  New players every day showing up in game.  https://shroudoftheavatar.net/topLocations shows transactions are going up.

I think there are a few chickens running around with heads off stating the sky is falling :) 
    Preselling POT to resale speculators that exploit SotA for RMT isn't exactly the bellwether you think it might be.  There are whale speculators in game that will buay anything Port shows them.  For all anyone knows a single RMT trader could be responsible for all those purchases.  Player numbers aren't going up, they're rapidly going down.

Steamcharts has been posting massive losses since the game launched, and right now shows 133 people playing.
    [Deleted User]JamesGoblin
  • mikeb0817mikeb0817 Member UncommonPosts: 76
    What ever happened to Tracy Hickman (Dragonlance author) They hyped him big in the early days as a writer for the game and it was half the reason I bought in at the beginning, regretfully I may add.
    JamesGoblin
    Abandon ship!

Preselling POT to resale speculators that exploit SotA for RMT isn't exactly the bellwether you think it might be.  There are whale speculators in game that will buay anything Port shows them.  For all anyone knows a single RMT trader could be responsible for all those purchases.  Player numbers aren't going up, they're rapidly going down.

Steamcharts has been posting massive losses since the game launched, and right now shows 133 people playing.
    That could be true , but that is still all profit either way for them as the code for placing them already exists so its only a few minutes of a devs time to add them.  and at 900 a pop.  that's 90k along just for the new POTS not to mention all the other stuff.  They still are making a lot of money.

I still don't care about steam charts,  I go based on my in game friend lists which is how I know there are new players.  Last dance party on Friday 23 people I added to my friends list that were not on it from the crowed there.   Every event I find new people and on the map.  Now one could say they were alts but my online friend list still grows daily so I know it can't be all alts unless they are multiboxing :)

mikeb0817 said:
    What ever happened to Tracy Hickman (Dragonlance author) They hyped him big in the early days as a writer for the game and it was half the reason I bought in at the beginning, regretfully I may add.

He still working with them.  There was an update last week he is working on completing some of the EP1 side stores as well working on the main story for Ep2 which is about the masters of the Cabalists. 
  • Xee2018Xee2018 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    @Dracschnider I bought one of the new POTs for EP2.  Silverdale will also be moving over in Ep2 so I bought a transfer ticket as well.  so one of those were mine.  in Ep2 the new POT will not be a town for people it will be solely a new adventure zone with quests and dungeon. 
    blorpykins
  • Xee2018Xee2018 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Dallas Snell was one of Portalarium's co-founders in 2009, Chairman, the COO (usually the second in command in a firm), provided operational management and was the second major stockholder after Richard Garriott.

Found on the SotA Reddit sub. https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar/comments/9e38os/did_dallas_snell_leave_portalarium/

Confirmed he retired which is why he is no longer with Port. 
    Xee2018 said:

Confirmed he retired which is why he is no longer with Port. 
    Where is it confirmed that he retired?  There was nothing, no mention of a retirement.  Only this that was posted by a player:

JamesGoblin