Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The cash shop rip off that both Black Desert Online and Guild Wars 2 both do

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
edited September 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Not sure about other cash shops...but these two games are ones I've personally seen

BDO the value pack is 15 dollars worth of gems
You can't buy 5 dollars worth of gems
You can't buy 15 dollars worth of gems

Nope only 10 or 20 dollars. Which actually means the monthly fee is increased by 20, granted value pack is sorta optional but actually not. Of course the 5 dollars extra worth of gems is an extra...but why can't they let you buy 15 dollars worth of gems like a typical MMO sub?

Which goes right to GW2

You also can't buy 5 dollars worth of gems
You also can't buy 15 dollars worth of gems
Nope exactly the same as BDO

And maybe its a dumb thing to be annoyed at...but that is the biggest annoyance (ignoring pay to win schemes, talking about more annoyances) I've seen come out of these cash shops. They get rid of the monthly fee, and sneakily increase the price by 5 dollars. Sure can buy 10 dollars worth, but that isn't what I want to pay...I personally want to pay 15 dollars worth like I would in a WoW monthly sub or any other monthly subscription MMO. If I can pay 15 a month for WoW, I should be able to pay that much for gems or pearls. Especially BDO with the value pack being a sneaky 15 dollars, but you really can't pay that much for pearls. That makes it more obvious. GW2 is no better here though.

And actually the problem wouldn't be an issue if...

they didn't have items that cost in the range of 11-15...literally they have items between that price. So if you pay 10 dollars worth of gems or pearls, still can't afford the items. So are forced to pay 20 dollars when that isn't what the item costs or even close to what the item costs if its priced low but still higher than 10. 

In fact, it would be fixed if you can just buy the item without junk gems or pearls and pay the straight amount. Let me just buy the item with real money and not go with your stupid gems and pearls conman schemed methods.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

El-Hefe

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Also wouldn't be a issue if you didn't play games with a cash shop :wink:
    [Deleted User]UngoodmrputtsCryomatrixKyleranAmarantharTuor7wingoodlaxieSorilland 1 other.
    --------------------------------------------
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    This is the whole.. Hot dog / Bun ploy.

They sell Hotdogs in Packs of 8. And Buns in packs of 10.

Sop you always have some reason to keep getting more of one or the other.
    Azaron_NightbladeCryomatrixOctagon7711wingoodjimmywolf
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    is this more about your restraint because.
    Month 1 - Buy £20 pack, and have £5 left over
    Month 2 - Buy £10 pack and have £5 from the previous month 

So you need only buy £30 every 2 month. 

so it doesn't really matter unless you only plan on playing 1 month which you would usually get with a starter pack.
    KyleranConstantineMeruswingoodmmolouPhryjimmywolf

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Just about EVERY MMO with cash shop currency does this, Scav... xD

And yes, it's very much designed to:

1) Make you spend extra.

2) Make you spend more in the future so that you're not wasting those few bucks of currency you have left.

Basically what Quazal brought up as a "work around". So that you wind up spending $30 compared to the $15 you would've spent otherwise.
    IselinOctagon7711

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Another thing is that 15 dollars a month started in early 2000. Should be 20 bucks now.
    delete5230
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited September 2018
    Just about EVERY MMO with cash shop currency does this, Scav... xD

And yes, it's very much designed to:

1) Make you spend extra.

2) Make you spend more in the future so that you're not wasting those few bucks of currency you have left.

Basically what Quazal brought up as a "work around". So that you wind up spending $30 compared to the $15 you would've spent otherwise.
    All just a big ole trap to get gamers to keep spending money and that is the one area Pearl Abyss truly excels at.

Making good games...not so much.

;)
    MrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,854
    Ungood said:

Hotdog buns are sold in packages of 8 and cheap Oscar Meyer weiners are sold in packages of 10.
    Wellspring
  • Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982
    edited September 2018
    In GW2, the drop rate for rare materials varies based on its' store price.
    Octagon7711
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Also wouldn't be a issue if you didn't play games with a cash shop :wink:
    Or if you weren't using the cash shop...
    I dont even look at them
    Mikeha[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited September 2018
    Ungood said:

But then... if you buy 5 packs of hotdogs and 4 packs of buns, you can make exactly 40 hotdogs... :p
    Let me know when you do, If I am in the area, I'll swing by your cookout.

@OP, wait a month and by $10. Then you have 60 days / $30 spent.......It's not so bad.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Instead of buying 2 package of 15$.  Just buy 3 package of 10$...

If you are a cashshop user, you probably spend so much money the package size dont' matter.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    GW2 has an excellent cash shop and isn't ripping anyone off since it's 100% optional.

BDO is a mess.

Don't include GW2 in this discussion.
    Zalgotas
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I don't really have a problem with BDO cash shop. My problem (when I was playing around launch in NA) was that there was almost no variety in the way your characters gear looked by just playing the game. All mmos have cash shops, almost all have cosmetic gear choices. But unlike most mmos that do offer good looking and a variety of gear looks, you can earn by just playing the game.. BDO forces you to buy from the CS unless you want to look like a vagrant hobo santa.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    My problem with BDO and the reason I quit playing was that the items that was on purchase were character bound and not account bound. When eventually I decided I wanted to alternate my gameplay by starting an alt, I realised that any and all money spent on the game would be wasted if I insisted playing with that alt.

I did keep my cash purchases on the same level as what I would have given to a subscription based game. So as far as I was concerned, they didn't gain any extra money from me via the cash shop. They merely lost me completely when I realised that a game without a subscription option was inferior to other games having that option.

Coming to GW2, the main difference I see is that you can convert your ingame wealth into cash shop gems. I don't know how viable is the conversion rate these days (was viable when the game was new), but it's an option that I don't believe exists in BDO.

On the downside (if you can call it that), I've spent more money in GW2 cash shop buying gems that a subscription system would justify. In fact, the recent developer controversy reignited my interest in the game, which led me to buy the latest expansion at the highest possible offering and spend more than a years worth in subscription fees since then.

My only beef with GW2 so far is that their support is really really slow. Efficient when my turn is up, but takes ages for tickets to be resolved.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Blizzard has the right idea... let players sell currency to each other while making a profit off it. Genius idea actually, since the players that buy gold for money then sell them to players for gold then they buy the player's goods with the gold they bought. Rinse and repeat, filling Blizz's pockets.
    Cryomatrix
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I enjoyed and loved BDO without using the cash shop at all. Never even checked it out.

Ah wait I bought that monthly thing for inventory sorry forgot about that but that is like a subscription so it does not count.
    [Deleted User]Cryomatrix
    Chamber of Chains
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    edited September 2018
    Are the cash shops for GW2 and BDO  just as bad as the one in Archeage though, i mean when it comes to really bad cash shops, its a prime example?  :/
    [Deleted User]
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    jusomdude said:
    Blizzard has the right idea... let players sell currency to each other while making a profit off it. Genius idea actually, since the players that buy gold for money then sell them to players for gold then they buy the player's goods with the gold they bought. Rinse and repeat, filling Blizz's pockets.
    Dont know what the first game to do this was, but EvE have had plex in game for about 10 years they definitely supers-seeded WoW by many years. 
    and the fact is nothing from the cash-shop cant be bought with using ingame cash just buy the plex from market and convert. I believe with WoW its only gametime applied and if you want anything from cash-shop your dipping in wallet.

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    I'm more upset that I have to pay money to get things instantly which should normally be acquired by quests. So for me shops are also a lazy approach to get new items into the game without developing some kind of story around it.
    Paying is fine as I would do with sub's. The missing content from bought items is the real bad thing. 
    I mean instead of just looking like a Pirate I could have gotten a whole quest line where I have to befriend the pirates spy on them or others and in the end earn that costume.

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    edited September 2018
    I still have a year worth of  value packs (BDO).
    And you know what the funny part is?

I DIDN'T SPEND A SINGLE PENNY ON IT!

Such a rip off........