Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Level 1(a fictitious story)

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I don't know man, what you described sounds like a quest hub  game to me.  Talk to NPC who tells you what to do, follow glowy light to objective, talk to another npc for instructions, do what you are told to do by npc to get reward.  If that's what you think the typical gaming session will be like I think you are probably wrong.

Also, towards the end of your post you said:

"No obnoxious kill hundreds of monsters along the way to prove there is action"

Hehehe...ya you never played EQ that's for sure.  No killing hundreds of monsters along the way?  Well...maybe not "along the way" but in Pantheon you will most likely spend a LOT of time sitting in one spot killing the same monsters over and over and over and over.  If it's like EQ you will.  Which I would actually prefer to a quest hub type of game but I'm just saying...if you think you won't be slaughtering monsters on an industrial scale I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

You make it sound like a game should have no direction at all, even talking to npc's should yield nothing.
    If you think this is what Pantheon is like you are going to be disappointed ;)
    How do you think the game will be like at level 1 ? 

A party of six doing a castle !
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Amathe said:
    - This story could have gone several different ways

I particularly enjoyed the part where the allegator deftly snatched the girl's doll (as large reptiles are known doll lovers), showing no interest in the girl herself (though she remained in the area).

I also relished the girl saying she had a +1 dagger (because what family doesn't let their little girl carry magic daggers), that somehow morphed into a +2 axe at the end.

A riveting tale. 
    Well, the girl is 10 years old.  Sure that's still young.  But things were different as far as the law is concerned in kids having a +1 dagger, back in the middle ages.  Also her father gave it to her because he can't control the girl from running off and playing even if known alligators are in the area. By the way it was only +1 so it wasn't very sharp  ( it would have been explained in the conversation, but I kept the story short ).

As far as the dispute about the +1 dagger and at the end +2 axe... I had already fixed that, just read it again. 

Oh... and the doll, 
    It was a smart alligator, it seen the girl swing the dagger and could only grab the doll ( that was explained in conversation too).

See it all fits :)

svann
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

I don't know man, what you described sounds like a quest hub  game to me.  Talk to NPC who tells you what to do, follow glowy light to objective, talk to another npc for instructions, do what you are told to do by npc to get reward.  If that's what you think the typical gaming session will be like I think you are probably wrong.

Hehehe...ya you never played EQ that's for sure.  No killing hundreds of monsters along the way?  Well...maybe not "along the way" but in Pantheon you will most likely spend a LOT of time sitting in one spot killing the same monsters over and over and over and over.  If it's like EQ you will.  Which I would actually prefer to a quest hub type of game but I'm just saying...if you think you won't be slaughtering monsters on an industrial scale I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

You make it sound like a game should have no direction at all, even talking to npc's should yield nothing.

I'm sure there will be quests in Pantheon but I'm also reasonably confident that leveling isn't going to involve doing an endless series of quests but rather most quests will be sort of extra, optional things you can do.  If you had spent more time in P99 this would be more clear to you. 

EQ really didn't give players much direction.  The part of your story that rang most true was logging in for the first time with a twig and a potato.  In EQ you logged in with a rusty dagger, some starter food, and a note to take to your guild leader (NPC trainer).  However, you were given no hint whatsoever how to find the guild leader.  You had to just search through your starting town and/or ask other players or just not do it.

After that...you were pretty much on your own in figuring out what to do.  There were some quests you could do if you knew about them or happened to randomly stumble onto them but most people who were new to the game missed most of those quests and just went out and started killing stuff to gain experience.  And that was it. 

Leveling in EQ basically came down to you deciding where to go to kill things to gain experience and/or loot.  NPCs didn't tell you where to go.  You went out and explored the world on your own or other players told you about places to go.  For example I remember other players telling me to go to the Oasis zone around level 14 or so because there were lots of things to kill and always lots of groups going so you had a good chance to get into a group.

I remember a friend of mine found out about the savants cap that a named mob in unrest dropped (+3 wisdom and +3 intelligence) and he got me to go help him camp it.  That really was about all the "direction" you had in EQ; you heard about places and things from other players and you decided to go check it out....or not.

I have to assume that Pantheon will be very similar to that because they have been pretty clear about not wanting to make a game that tells you what to do all the time.

Mendel
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    OP nailed what I miss.  I don't want to out-level my zone just when I get to know the area and NPCs.  I want to HAVE to explore in different directions etc.  I want to see a goblin that can take me down if I am not careful . . I don't mean fighting him. . I mean avoiding him :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Aethaeryn said:
    OP nailed what I miss.  I don't want to out-level my zone just when I get to know the area and NPCs.  I want to HAVE to explore in different directions etc.  I want to see a goblin that can take me down if I am not careful . . I don't mean fighting him. . I mean avoiding him :)
    This i agree wit hand WANT to see a lot more devs doing it correctly.Too many MMO's are still being designed like a single player game and i don't like that and it is WRONG.
    We don't have to even keep moving in different directions,there can and should be reason to return as been done before by utilizing crafting high level items that still need low level mats.

How about NPC's that have a different AI based on different days,so yoru not clicking that npc once and never going back?How about mobs that have different drops based on the elements,a Water based mob drops better items on water days and or when attacking it with opposite element weapons.So attack some mobs on different days depending on drops you want to attain.

When we do quests,why should they be LINEAR and relegated to your exact level and zone,why can't they have you THINK and perhaps return to old areas or maybe even have to wait for a higher tier zone and on that matter why should zones be tiered,why can't they be multi tiered?

Bottom line....build us BETTER games ,i am tired of WOWesque type garbage.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

I'm sure there will be quests in Pantheon but I'm also reasonably confident that leveling isn't going to involve doing an endless series of quests but rather most quests will be sort of extra, optional things you can do.  If you had spent more time in P99 this would be more clear to you. 

EQ really didn't give players much direction.  The part of your story that rang most true was logging in for the first time with a twig and a potato.  In EQ you logged in with a rusty dagger, some starter food, and a note to take to your guild leader (NPC trainer).  However, you were given no hint whatsoever how to find the guild leader.  You had to just search through your starting town and/or ask other players or just not do it.

After that...you were pretty much on your own in figuring out what to do.  There were some quests you could do if you knew about them or happened to randomly stumble onto them but most people who were new to the game missed most of those quests and just went out and started killing stuff to gain experience.  And that was it. 

Leveling in EQ basically came down to you deciding where to go to kill things to gain experience and/or loot.  NPCs didn't tell you where to go.  You went out and explored the world on your own or other players told you about places to go.  For example I remember other players telling me to go to the Oasis zone around level 14 or so because there were lots of things to kill and always lots of groups going so you had a good chance to get into a group.

I remember a friend of mine found out about the savants cap that a named mob in unrest dropped (+3 wisdom and +3 intelligence) and he got me to go help him camp it.  That really was about all the "direction" you had in EQ; you heard about places and things from other players and you decided to go check it out....or not.

I have to assume that Pantheon will be very similar to that because they have been pretty clear about not wanting to make a game that tells you what to do all the time.

The memories you expressed about early EQ1 are spot on.

However much I agree with your descriptions, I can't agree with your final conclusion.  Pantheon won't be similar in regards to knowing what and where to fight.  There will be ZAM: Pantheon, or some similar spoiler site.  Players won't need to find this information from friends or chat in-game, there will be spoiler sites available from day 1.  I'm pretty sure that there are data miners planning to be involved with Beta testing, if they're not already in Alpha testing.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited September 2018

Ya I admit his post was a tad too soft. No grumbling about the frustration he felt when he couldn't find the old man or was confused by something. Just "First and foremost, it's relaxing." Everyting is what he wants.

I typically want to feel some frustration in my games. That  means dying a lot or failing a lot or losing things or accidents. Without which I lose interest. Ironically, whilst I immensely enjoyed Everquest--and Project 1999--I start losing interest when the camps become too scientific. It's possible to break Everquest that way. When you know too much and organize everyting just right, Everquest becomes repetitive because it's a neverending camp with perfect execution. No deaths. No surprises. No new sights. No journeys. Rinse and repeat. I love Everquest when it's not a science yet.

Some people killed Everquest by overdoing the science.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

Ya I admit his post was a tad too soft. No grumbling about the frustration he felt when he couldn't find the old man or was confused by something. Just "First and foremost, it's relaxing." Everyting is what he wants.

I typically want to feel some frustration in my games. That  means dying a lot or failing a lot or losing things or accidents. Without which I lose interest. Ironically, whilst I immensely enjoyed Everquest--and Project 1999--I start losing interest when the camps become too scientific. It's possible to break Everquest that way. When you know too much and organize everyting just right, Everquest becomes repetitive because it's a neverending camp with perfect execution. No deaths. No surprises. No new sights. No journeys. Rinse and repeat. I love Everquest when it's not a science yet.

Ya, I remember saying years ago when talking about EQ that it was most boring when everything was going smoothly.  It was the chaos when things occasionally went wrong that kept it interesting.  Of course too much of that wasn't good either.

And to Mendel:  Yes, you're right, there will be third party sites where people will get information so it won't be the same as the old days no matter what the devs do.  Heck, even in the old days there was a lot of info available on third party sites but, I don't know, maybe most of us just didn't spend a lot of time looking at that stuff back then.  I did print off a ton of zone maps though, might even still have some laying around somewhere in a closet.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

I think you may be on to something here.  The whole concept of 'familiarity breeds contempt' seems to jump immediately to mind, but I think that's the basis of what you're suggesting.  Maybe it has to do with the number of people who have 'achieved' this science, causing the whole population to become jaded.  As the players become more jaded, they seem to become less tolerant of those who don't know, and the community begins to degrade, individual by individual.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Mendel said:

I think you may be on to something here.  The whole concept of 'familiarity breeds contempt' seems to jump immediately to mind, but I think that's the basis of what you're suggesting.  Maybe it has to do with the number of people who have 'achieved' this science, causing the whole population to become jaded.  As the players become more jaded, they seem to become less tolerant of those who don't know, and the community begins to degrade, individual by individual.

When I think back to my EQ1 days I don't wax poetic about the hundreds of times I spent a couple of hours camping some mob or kiting frogs.  It is the times when things went wrong and I survived by the skin of my teeth (or had that epic corpse run).

And that is what I miss about current games - the lack of these moments.  I don't know if a game nowadays can be tuned properly for me (and my wife), but the search will continue :)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited September 2018

No, there will be 100 or so solo level 1s running wildly about in an empty landscape outside a city gate struggling to get a kill in when a rat or goblin respawns near them.

That was the real old school experience in first gen games.

If I read correctly the first dungeon isn't until a player is level 30 and even then only if grouped.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Kyleran said:

No, there will be 100 or so solo level 1s running wildly about in an empty landscape outside a city gate struggling to get a kill in when a rat or goblin respawns near them.

Im hoping to see hundreds of L1 corpses freshly killed by L3 bats.
    KyleranAmathe
    edited September 2018
    Kyleran said:

That was the real old school experience in first gen games.

If I read correctly the first dungeon isn't until a player is level 30 and even then only if grouped.

Your actually the "first one" to pick up on the weak part of my story.  I made it with only two players in the starting zone, to make a relaxing environment.

With all mmorpg's, level one is always a hard one to solve, at least on release.  What to do with hundreds logging in at the same time.  The competition for the kills. 

Well, it's actually easy to solve in obnoxious mmos like all of them made now days. Load the zone trash mobs everyplace. 

My understanding is Pantheon will be making replica's of zones or shards or what ever you call them.  "I hate that".  Despite many reasons this is a good idea, their is a big one I hate.  I like to see all players for potential friends !
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I, for one, am thinking that magic loot is way too common and easy to get in Delete's fantasy world.  There's more magic items in his story than in a Diablo session :p

I noticed that even in a world with more magical gear than Forgotten Realms, the "green orc guy" is trying to gouge him for a crummy club >:)
    Even little 10 year old village girls have magic weaponry, but they are trying to take the poor, lost foreigner for a ride with an overpriced club. 
    Ah, the old past-time of scamming tourists out of their raw potatoes.

One thing old games did better than new games is limiting fancy, magical gear early on.  I mean, there was still entirely too much magic loot dropping all over the world, but at least you didn't get your hands on it until later.
    I remember how all the low levels were desperately trying to get their hands on magical weapons in old EQ, so that they could damage willowisps and undead, etc.

This is something I miss in games.  I think valuable gear should be hard to attain, not drop like candy from a piñata.  Especially in a game where gear doesn't decay and can be traded around.

I personally think every MMO economy needs item decay, but that's another subject B)
    Amathe
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I may be in the minority on this, but what I want at level 1 is to be left in peace.

For me, level 1 is a time of quiet learning. I want to get the hang of the UI and all its controls. I want to test out the movement and the combat systems. I like to explore my starting city and learn my way around at my own pace and for my own undirected, unguided purposes. 

I don't want to be spammed with guild invites. I don't want to find myself in a tutorial with some NPC yelling hurry! hurry! at me. I don't want a fetch quest or similar nonsense. 

After I get my bearings maybe I will try out my newbie sword on a bat or other lesser creature. 

I usually spend a lot of time at level 1 learning as much as I can about the game. 
    MendelsvannKyleranLokerokitarad

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Gutlard said:
    Well, I just hope there's good lore to explain the 100k+/- lost confused souls arriving in loin clothes, holding a twig in one hand and potato in another (giggity), at however many starting areas there are....

Gut Out!
    You show up naked, confused, with only a twig in hand:

A:  You are an amnesiac.
    B:   You've just been raised from the dead/reanimated.
    C:  You are an albino Orc who has just sprung from some fungus dropping.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

edited September 2018
    Amathe said:
    I may be in the minority on this, but what I want at level 1 is to be left in peace.

For me, level 1 is a time of quiet learning. I want to get the hang of the UI and all its controls. I want to test out the movement and the combat systems. I like to explore my starting city and learn my way around at my own pace and for my own undirected, unguided purposes. 

I don't want to be spammed with guild invites. I don't want to find myself in a tutorial with some NPC yelling hurry! hurry! at me. I don't want a fetch quest or similar nonsense. 

After I get my bearings maybe I will try out my newbie sword on a bat or other lesser creature. 

I usually spend a lot of time at level 1 learning as much as I can about the game. 
    I joined arguably the most recognized Guild out their for Guild Wars 2 not too bad, but then I used them for opening day of FF14. 

From the second the servers went on line they were prepared complete with ranks of captions and sergeants and such.  They insisted that everyone be on Team Speak and connected to voice.  They controlled the channel and overpowered everyone.  

They had the game mapped out on how everyone should play exactly ! 

Their had to be at least 50 if not 100 excited players trying to speak at once and they "insisted everyone shut up"..... as they controlled the action.  It was so annoying people were going to off channels including me..... Soon I got a /tell asking " don't you like us ?..... I had to back peddle and explain " just trying to figure out the game".  So I guess he was ok with that.  

Weeks later a new Woman's voice I couldn't recognize come on, all the official ranks were welcoming her as she must have been on vacation.  Loud squeaky voice and all she dominated everything, yet they loved her.  

Since most new players to the Guild were getting sick of the domination and quitting like crazy, I still decided to hang in their...… So she decided to key on me..... Asking me questions if I belong to the Guild and prove it !.... I'll admit, I tried hard with a few people backing me up that I'm a member.  Still she wouldn't let up !..... After over 10 minuets of this I say F%$# YOU !... And quit. 

This is "Grievance Guild" Good luck to anyone who joins :(
    Post edited by delete5230 on
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Amathe said:

I joined arguably the most recognized Guild out their for Guild Wars 2 not too bad, but then I used them for opening day of FF14. 

From the second the servers went on line they were prepared complete with ranks of captions and sergeants and such.  They insisted that everyone be on Team Speak and connected to voice.  They controlled the channel and overpowered everyone.  

They had the game mapped out on how everyone should play exactly ! 

Their had to be at least 50 if not 100 excited players trying to speak at once and they "insisted everyone shut up"..... as they controlled the action.  It was so annoying people were going to off channels including me..... Soon I got a /tell asking " don't you like us ?..... I had to back peddle and explain " just trying to figure out the game".  So I guess he was ok with that.  

Weeks later a new Woman's voice I couldn't recognize come on, all the official ranks were welcoming her as she must have been on vacation.  Loud squeaky voice and all she dominated everything, yet they loved her.  

Since most new players to the Guild were getting sick of the domination and quitting like crazy, I still decided to hang in their...… So she decided to key on me..... Asking me questions if I belong to the Guild and prove it !.... I'll admit, I tried hard with a few people backing me up that I'm a member.  Still she wouldn't let up !..... After over 10 minuets of this I say F%$# YOU !... And quit. 

This is "Grievance Guild" Good luck to anyone who joins :(
    Grievence is actually a pretty good guild, not sure why you had such issue with the officer validating your membership, perhaps you had not registered properly on the website which was a requirement to verify your standing in a particular game.

But....and this is a big reason why I don’t join them anymore, they are fanatical on people joining their voice coms, and like you said, if you hide in another channel they hunt you down asking what’s up?

Like you, I abhor large voice channels, everyone yammering on endlessly about stuff I don’t care about, distracts me from playing the game and watching Netflix at the same time.  ;)

So I don’t join them or anything guild which requires mandatory voice coms when it’s unnecessary.  I am fine with raid or PVP coms as they tend to be focused on in game events, which again, is all I care about when online.  

I don’t want to be to know my guildmates personally, I’m not looking for a bunch of new friends.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited September 2018
    Kyleran said:

But....and this is a big reason why I don’t join them anymore, they are fanatical on people joining their voice coms, and like you said, if you hide in another channel they hunt you down asking what’s up?

Like you, I abhor large voice channels, everyone yammering on endlessly about stuff I don’t care about, distracts me from playing the game and watching Netflix at the same time.  ;)

So I don’t join them or anything guild which requires mandatory voice coms when it’s unnecessary.  I am fine with raid or PVP coms as they tend to be focused on in game events, which again, is all I care about when online.  

I don’t want to be to know my guildmates personally, I’m not looking for a bunch of new friends.

This was one of my issues with them. Plus I didn't really like the guild leader of the particular guild/game I was in.

They are a good guild as far as guilds go, but unless you are "all in" then that could be a problem. And they feel a bit "cliquey" as well.

But I'm like you, I don't want to ever be in voice chat unless it's a raid or large pvp thing.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    What does your bad experience with a particular guild have to do with the thread?
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Other things I enjoy at level 1 are pausing to bask in the fact that I am finally able to play the game (as I usually follow them for years in advance).

I listen to the background music. I take in the local scenery and the distant panorama. I find some water and look at how it has been rendered. The same for grass and wildflowers. 

I am in no hurry at all. This is a big moment for me. I will remember it for what I hope are the many years of play to come. 
    delete5230

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• mmorpg_1000mmorpg_1000 Member CommonPosts: 3
    Pantheon is vaporware
  • Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Pantheon is vaporware
    Everything is vaporware until it is released.  It appears that it is being worked on so it isn't a scam :)
    Kyleran
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Pantheon is vaporware
    Good, I needed a new steam cooker for my vegetables.
    Amathedelete5230