Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CCP Games Acquired by Black Desert Online Creators Pearl Abyss - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageCCP Games Acquired by Black Desert Online Creators Pearl Abyss - MMORPG.com

Pearl Abyss, the creator of the MMO Black Desert Online, have announced that it will acquire Iceland-based CCP Games. CCP Games is well known for being the creators of the insanely popular space MMORPG EVE Online. Through this deal, CCP Games will still operate independently from Pearl Abyss, operating their Shanghai, London and Reykjavik studios.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    I have no idea about how P2W EVE is, but I hope CCP don't end up with "tapered P2W", in the beginning it seems there is not P2W but as you get into the game you realise that unless you want to spend your life grinding buying cash shop items and selling them on is the only way to upgrade your weapons and armour.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited September 2018
    I hope the Icelandic craziness and EVEs unique character survive that deal. 

But hey .... maybe ... walking in stations ?!

Have fun
    Phry
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

ughh Eves....... ... . Eve of Destruction .........................inc ..........Sad Days
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I suppose EVE players can look forward to some great outfits .
    KyleransomeforumguymazutHarikenlaseritwingoodcheyaneTacticalZombehAethaeryn

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Ha Ha lol Game - Over, EVE online gonna become like BDO, but hey in the long run maybe at least we will get good looking characters, and space docks.
    Azaron_Nightblade5CARLLeTT
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    The press release contained some rarely discussed info regarding what firms have invested in CCP over the years. First time I have ever read anything about their financial backers.

"Birgir Már Ragnarsson of Novator Partners and Chairman of CCP commented, “As lead investor in CCP for over 13 years alongside General Catalyst and NEA"
    Phaserlight

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    That's game-changer.
    KyleranScorchienPhryAgent_JosephAlomarPhaserlightanemowingood5CARLLeTT
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited September 2018
    That is terrifying. But I like watching horror stories unfold.
    Kyleran said:
    The press release contained some rarely discussed info regarding what firms have invested in CCP over the years. First time I have ever read anything about their financial backers.

"Birgir Már Ragnarsson of Novator Partners and Chairman of CCP commented, “As lead investor in CCP for over 13 years alongside General Catalyst and NEA"
    About 2 1/2 years ago rumor was they were going to go public , i was primed to buy up some shares .. Then they decided not to............. IMO they should have moved forward with that plan ...

I dont think this is a good option for the Eve player base , PA will squeeze everything you do in Eve to be part of the TediumCash$hop that exists in BDO
    This seems appropriate for the occasion....truly can be marked as "the day the music died."

Scorchien

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    edited September 2018
    Not sure how I feel about this.

Personally I don't dislike Black Desert business model, but I would not like it been applied to EVE.
    On a positive note, I think Pearl Abyss is a decent developer, though BDO could have been so much better, but that's because it has been built for an Asian audience, so I understand the difficulties in adapting it for the western crowd.
    5CARLLeTT
    edited September 2018

Scot said:

I have no idea about how P2W EVE is, but I hope CCP don't end up with "tapered P2W", in the beginning it seems there is not P2W but as you get into the game you realise that unless you want to spend your life grinding buying cash shop items and selling them on is the only way to upgrade your weapons and armour.

Well as it appears CCP was purchased for $425M Pearl Abyss is going to want to find some way to make back their investment.

It certainly won't be off of all the great new games in development in the CCP pipeline.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/09/06/black-desert-online-creator-pearl-abyss-acquires-eve-online-maker-ccp-games-for-425-million/

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Erillion said:

Have fun

I seriously hope not.
    You have other space games if you want to pointlessly walk around.
    I'd rather they fixed Faction Warfare.

..Cake..

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    R.I.P. EVE 
    sgel said:

Erillion said:

Have fun

I seriously hope not.
    You have other space games if you want to pointlessly walk around.
    I'd rather they fixed Faction Warfare.
    Which is partly how we got to today.

Too many years of players asking CCP to "fix" something, not enough actual innovation to draw in new customers or well retain the ones they had.

No one wanted to just walk around in stations, the expectation was it would evolve into more interactive activities.

Instead the first iteration was more of a tech demo for WOD and shamelessly used to add a new layer of monetization; a poor value one at that.

Would have been better off selling "golden ammo," at least it would have been something useful.

;)
    mklinic5CARLLeTT

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Kyleran said:

Scot said:

Well as it appears CCP was purchased for $425M Pearl Abyss is going to want to find some way to make back their investment.

It certainly won't be off of all the great new games in development in the CCP pipeline.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/09/06/black-desert-online-creator-pearl-abyss-acquires-eve-online-maker-ccp-games-for-425-million/
    Agree. The onus will fall on EVE.

Now whilst they may add some "flashy stuff" - and it might prove popular - I don't see that as the plan to recoup $425 + the costs that they will start to incurr. Afterall EVE already allows people to spend what they want.

For me the obvious way ahead will be to translate EVE, check it out for any inadvertent "cultural" references and then launch EVE in Korea, Taiwan, China (with Snail Games maybe) and so on. With regional servers. Parrallel universes! 

That - I believe - could indeed recover their costs and more. Get a whole new set of people playing. And that might have a different payment model but rather than simple skins maybe more along a World of Tanks model.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I always found EVE boring. Maybe they can liven it up some.
    Roin
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    gervaise1 said:

For me the obvious way ahead will be to translate EVE, check it out for any inadvertent "cultural" references and then launch EVE in Korea, Taiwan, China (with Snail Games maybe) and so on. With regional servers. Parrallel universes! 

EVE has had a Chinese server for years already...

However, CCP have always held-back on heavy monetization. That will most probably be changing soon.

I'm sure Pearl Abyss intend to "fully realise EVE's monetization potential", just as they've done in BDO...
    AlomarOctagon7711
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Ominous, to say the least. Kakao managed to restrict a lot of the P2W features that Pearl Abyss normally employs in BDO, which is why the NA/EU version is far less P2W than the 'home' version, although lately it looks like the 'reins' have been loosened quite a bit, if PA is needed to recoup more cash because of their purchase of CCP then that probably explain it. To say that the future of Eve Online is uncertain would not be a stretch, all i can think at the moment is that the best we can probably hope for is that PA will not negatively affect Eve Online too much, for there to be positives is probably too much to expect. :(
    5CARLLeTT
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    gervaise1 said:

I think that's how they will do it.

If this fail, they can always sell spaceship skins....
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    It seems they buy only the games with the best character creation. 
    [Deleted User]PhaserlightwingoodOctagon7711
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    I'm more willing to bet that pearl abyss bought ccp for the programming experience, offices, data center hardware an connections more so then for the eve online IP. They can fairly easily take the CCP teams that are left an intergrade them into working on translations, and content for bdo an return a much bigger buck then putting that into trying to turn eve around. The software backend of eve online an that personal experience if brought into bdo to fix it's lag issues in large scale battles would do wanders for bdo an in the long run be worth the $450mil purchase combined with the dev teams.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    I'm more willing to bet that pearl abyss bought ccp for the programming experience, offices, data center hardware an connections more so then for the eve online IP. They can fairly easily take the CCP teams that are left an intergrade them into working on translations, and content for bdo an return a much bigger buck then putting that into trying to turn eve around. The software backend of eve online an that personal experience if brought into bdo to fix it's lag issues in large scale battles would do wanders for bdo an in the long run be worth the $450mil purchase combined with the dev teams.
    Could well be an element of that. If that was the only reason however I am sure they could have offered CCP some millions to fix/improve BDO. And it would be a lot less than $450M. 

Good point though about the experience that CCP has acquired over the years. 
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    I wonder if they will make Eve fully free to play with optional sub ?