Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad first impressions

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Quizzical said:
    YashaX said:
    Quizzical said:

But there's a learning curve, as the game does some unorthodox things.  I'd never seen anything like the game's stamina/magicka split, and their skill point system is certainly unusual.  Having a learning curve isn't necessarily bad, as innovative game mechanics will usually cause one.   The problem is that Zenimax doesn't seem to care to do anything to smooth that learning curve.  That can't possibly be good for player retention.  Most players won't spend several hours reading up on a game before trying it; if I hadn't done so, I'd probably have quit in frustration by now.  Now that the game has been out for more than four years, maybe they should find time to make the new player experience a little friendlier.
    ????? Never played any ES game before?
    That is correct.  I had never played any Elder Scrolls game before.  One hopes that the target audience for a game is not merely some subset of people who played a previous game in the series.  FFXIV was the first Final Fantasy game that I had played since playing the original for a fraction of a day, and they managed not to assume that I was familiar with the previous thirteen installments in the line.
    Is ESO considered an elder scrolls game? If it is it's the worst of the lot except for Arena.
    Well, it is considered an Elder Scrolls game. It might not exactly play like Morrowind/Oblvion/Skyrim but it is as much an Elder Scrolls game as any other as far as it's world.
    [Deleted User]SlyLoKYashaX
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • XImpalerXXImpalerX Member UncommonPosts: 606
    edited August 2018
    Summerset is an expansion (aka chapter), not a DLC. Everything else in your post is just you being ignorant about the game mechanics and a novice gamer, whose only mmorpg experience is WoW. If you click the DLC link on the website, you can tell which are DLC and which are not...I just dont get your point.https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/updates

I just started playing ESO a few weeks ago, and I find it to be an amazing game. All of your problems stem either from ignorance on how to manipulate options and hotkeys or can be solved via addons.... but honestly if you are having that much trouble with the base game, there is no way you will be savvy enough to install addons, let alone configure them lol

The fact that you said you did hours of research before getting the game, makes this even more unbelievable, did you just look at the pretty pictures lol?

I am also wondering why there is no tutorial for you...when I make a new character and start the game, it asks me "You have already completed the tutorial on another character, would you like to replay it?"
    SlyLoKGdemamiYashaXTindale111
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Personally I don't play ESO anymore not because I'm not an Elder Scrolls fan which I am but because I felt the "chapters" were poor value, small and overpriced compared to games like WoW and FFXIV with their similarly priced expansions. The predatory gambling boxes are also a major turn-off.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Sovrath said:
    Quizzical said:
    YashaX said:
    Quizzical said:

But there's a learning curve, as the game does some unorthodox things.  I'd never seen anything like the game's stamina/magicka split, and their skill point system is certainly unusual.  Having a learning curve isn't necessarily bad, as innovative game mechanics will usually cause one.   The problem is that Zenimax doesn't seem to care to do anything to smooth that learning curve.  That can't possibly be good for player retention.  Most players won't spend several hours reading up on a game before trying it; if I hadn't done so, I'd probably have quit in frustration by now.  Now that the game has been out for more than four years, maybe they should find time to make the new player experience a little friendlier.
    That is correct.  I had never played any Elder Scrolls game before.  One hopes that the target audience for a game is not merely some subset of people who played a previous game in the series.  FFXIV was the first Final Fantasy game that I had played since playing the original for a fraction of a day, and they managed not to assume that I was familiar with the previous thirteen installments in the line.
    Is ESO considered an elder scrolls game? If it is it's the worst of the lot except for Arena.
    Well, it is considered an Elder Scrolls game. It might not exactly play like Morrowind/Oblvion/Skyrim but it is as much an Elder Scrolls game as any other as far as it's world.
       Well . its considered one yes , but its inferior to Skyrim for ex.. in every way IMO ,Skills/Builds/Crafting/Questing and Lore and Combat are all better.. ESO is inferior , particularly when you consider that all the lore in its entirity is broken in ESO since T1 , Why as an AD would i want to grovel EP Kings feet to clean his villages in hopes of a trinket for ex.. Worthless useless Lore now ,They have trivialized there entire world to differnet skins ..
    Iselin
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Quizzical said:
    YashaX said:
    Quizzical said:

Well . its considered one yes , but its inferior to Skyrim for ex.. in every way IMO ,Skills/Builds/Crafting/Questing and Lore and Combat are all better.. ESO is inferior , particularly when you consider that all the lore in its entirity is broken in ESO since T1 , Why as an AD would i want to grovel EP Kings feet to clean his villages in hopes of a trinket for ex.. Worthless useless Lore now ,They have trivialized there entire world to differnet skins ..
    You wouldn't grovel. So don't.

You don't have to accept and do every quest.

When I come across a quest that has nothing to do with my character, I just don't do it. I would agree that, for my taste, Elder Scrolls Online isn't as good as the other games but it's an mmo so it tries to straddle both worlds. For better or worse depending on your tastes.
    YashaX

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

edited August 2018
    Sovrath said:
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Quizzical said:
    YashaX said:
    Quizzical said:

You wouldn't grovel. So don't.

You don't have to accept and do every quest.

When I come across a quest that has nothing to do with my character, I just don't do it. I would agree that, for my taste, Elder Scrolls Online isn't as good as the other games but it's an mmo so it tries to straddle both worlds. For better or worse depending on your tastes.
      Still bothers me , i should not even be able to walk thru the doors, let alone even be presented with the choice of doing tasks for mortal enemies .. Its a broken world whos lore is meaningless now in every way .. A series of different skins to spam your combat skills at ...

And imo its a hybrid mmo of sorts .. it walks a grey line ,and that is very intentional
  • XImpalerXXImpalerX Member UncommonPosts: 606
    If you cant function in an MMO that doesn't have rails, download the Zygor addon...and all your quest finding issues will be gone.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Sovrath said:
    Quizzical said:
    YashaX said:
    Quizzical said:

I think that we're going to need lawyers to figure out whether it's officially an Elder Scrolls game.  I mean, just because it has Elder Scrolls in the title doesn't necessarily tell you anything.  After all, as many people have explained on this thread, just because some pack of game content is downloadable doesn't mean that it's officially a downloadable content game pack.  It might be a chapter instead, at least until they decide to rebrand it later like they did with Morrowind, which now is officially a DLC game pack after originally being a chapter.
    Gdemami
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Quizzical said:
    YashaX said:
    Quizzical said:

There has always been the ability to do the quest in the other enemy alliance zones since the game launched. It's not a 1T thing. If you ever had finished the main quest you'd know how and why you're doing it.

You are the first person I have ever seen dissing ESO's lore hooks for not enough alliance separation. 99.9% of "ESO broke the lore" horseshit is exactly the opposite as in "why are there these 3 alliances?"

You might have some vague memories of Skyrim fanboys hating on ESO's lore hooks and half-remember that it had something to do with the 3 alliances but you got it backwards lol.
    [Deleted User]YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited August 2018
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Quizzical said:
    YashaX said:
    Quizzical said:

There has always been the ability to do the quest in the other enemy alliance zones since the game launched. It's not a 1T thing. If you ever had finished the main quest you'd know how and why you're doing it.

You are the first person I have ever seen dissing ESO's lore hooks for not enough alliance separation. 99.9% of "ESO broke the lore" horseshit is exactly the opposite as in "why are there these 3 alliances?"

You might have some vague memories of Skyrim fanboys hating on ESO's lore hooks and half-remember that it had something to do with the 3 alliances but you got it backwards lol.
    enjoy ... 

And im gonna stop there , there is literally miles of this shit .. you know how to use your google im guessing

There lore is broken all over the fuggin place , and its like a little kid is coloring the sections hoping noone sees them going outside the lines .. Messy ass shit
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Quizzical said:
    YashaX said:
    Quizzical said:

enjoy ... 

And im gonna stop there , there is literally miles of this shit .. you know how to use your google im guessing

There lore is broken all over the fuggin place , and its like a little kid is coloring the sections hoping noone sees them going outside the lines .. Messy ass shit
    A 2014 thread from 2 years before the One Tamriel change, linked in support of your premise that it was 1T (or T1 as you call it) that broke the lore?

1/10 googling skillz :)
    SlyLoKYashaX[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Quizzical said:
    YashaX said:
    Quizzical said:

enjoy ... 

A 2014 thread from 2 years before the One Tamriel change, linked in support of your premise that it was 1T (or T1 as you call it) that broke the lore?

lmao . none of that has changed it all broken and much more , the Lore in ESO is terribly broken any fan of ES knows that .. 
    Iselin
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Quizzical said:
    YashaX said:
    Quizzical said:

enjoy ... 

lmao . none of that has changed it all broken and much more , the Lore in ESO is terribly broken any fan of ES knows that .. 
    Apparently though, some "know that" for the opposite reason. Most ES lore dweebs have always hated the 3 alliance separation and blame it on a kludge to shoehorn in the DAoC-style PVP system in Cyrodiil.

If anything, One Tamriel appeased some of them, But here you are telling us it's the opposite lol.
    [Deleted User]YashaX[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited August 2018
    Scorchien said:

enjoy ... 

While I'm more supportive of "sticking to lore" I also can understand wanting to make changes as one goes.

The way I play is that "the lore" in one game is x and in another game it's just different.

At some point you just have to accept that there were two Darrens and that Richie actually had an older brother. (I imagine Kyleran will be the only person who gets those references)

Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Quizzical said:
    YashaX said:
    Quizzical said:

enjoy ... 

Apparently though, some "know that" for the opposite reason. Most ES lore dweebs have always hated the 3 alliance separation and blame it on a kludge to shoehorn in the DAoC-style PVP system in Cyrodiil.

If anything, One Tamriel appeased some of them, But here you are telling us it's the opposite lol.
    It didnt appease anyone , but maybe the low hanging fruit dimwits, Its a mask , the underlying mess is still there and broken and cannot be fixed  .... Enjoy fighting the skins in the broken multi player game ..
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Quizzical said:
    YashaX said:
    Quizzical said:

enjoy ... 

It didnt appease anyone , but maybe the low hanging fruit dimwits, Its a mask , the underlying mess is still there and broken and cannot be fixed  .... Enjoy fighting the skins in the broken multi player game ..
    Whether I enjoy or not is irrelevant to the reason I responded to your post in the first place which is that you can't even get your lore objections right.

It is funny though seeing you try to deflect from your fuck-up about "...all the lore in its entirity is broken in ESO since T1."

You need to get your story straight if you want to be a credible hater. 
    SlyLoKYashaX

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Mikeha said:
    Pay To Win 
    I don't think you've ever played this game.
    [Deleted User]SlyLoKgervaise1YashaX[Deleted User]
    Torval said:
    Quizzical said:
    YashaX said:
    Quizzical said:

I think it's the best one to date by a wide margin. If it were worse it's only due to the horrendous cash shop and loot crates. The gameplay is superior in every way to me compared to other series titles.
    Having played every single one of them starting with Arena 24 years ago, I approve this message.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonSlyLoKgervaise1[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

The TES lore community doesn't have a problem with how a large new story element is being added without having been previously mentioned. That's been a common theme in TES for years. The problem is how Zenimax are choosing to write the lore.

For example, there's the lack of jungle in Cyrod. The community may be upset about how there isn't a jungle in the second era when we were previously told by reliable accounts and primary sources that it was in the time TES:O takes place, but the real issue is how Zenimax dealt with it.

It's blatantly lazy to cover up a subject of much concern to a community that is well known for loving complicated and interesting new information with a "transcription error". That's not a satisfying answer. That's not an answer that justifies anything in-universe. That's not an answer that eliminates the inconsistency. It's like taking a jackhammer to a plot hole and widening it by a few miles and then sticking a wet floor sign next to it. It doesn't resolve any issues.

And although that's just one case, it's a major problem and many fear (rightfully) that it speaks for the general quality of ESO and whatever else that monocled douchebag Lawrence Schick comes up with. You should keep in mind that TES lore is much more complicated than it appears, and for many fans watching ESO's plot unfold is like seeing someone paint dicks on a Picasso.

Argonians are enslaved by the Dunmer, and wouldn't help them. Before Talos changed Cyrodiil's landscape via CHIM, it was a jungle, whereas in ESO which is pre Talos it is a temperate area Bosmer and Khajiit have always been at war, why would they be allies? The Breton's and Redguards had destroyed Orsinuim shortly before the game takes place. Nothing remains in the 3rd/4th era to hint that ANYTHING of this had ever happened. Most of the Towers were active at this time, so a daedra invasion couldent happen, unlike in Oblivion most of the Towers were inactive. Such as Walk-Brass not being on mundus White-Gold missing it's stone (Amulet of Kings) Snow-Throat is "bleeding" Red Mountain still has Lorkan's Heart Crystal-Like-Law has literately been destroyed

That is just to name a few. Whereas in TESO the only inactive towers were the one in Yokuda (I'm not an expert) Walk-Brass is in control by the Tribunal Red Mountain still has it's stone Crystal-Like-Law is still up Snow-Throat isn't "bleeding"

Those are just to name a few.

And the Argonians care nought for the rest of Tamriel, and the Hist would NEVER have told them to pair with the Dunmer. Even more so during the Oblivion Crisis (A MIRROR IMAGE OF THIS) the Argonians used this as an opportunity to INVADE Rysadin, not be allies with them!

The first Aldumeri Dominion has been founded in TESO BEFORE it was founded in the lore established since TES II: Daggerfall.

TL;DR - There were to many active towers harboring Mundus from Coldharbour, alliances make people who have previously been mortal enemies best friends.

EDIT: Also as someone else mentioned, they dismissed the jungle of Cyrodiil as a "Transcription error my MK (who has NEVER MADE ONE BEFORE), and casually ignoring and dismissing the lore.

Also the concept of taking Elder Scrolls from keeps is BS, they can't be stored anywhere, they just vanish in and out of space. With the Exception of those in White-Gold because its a Tower that holds together space, and was made with the purpose of attracting Elder Scrolls for study by the Alyieds.

YashaX

As you say, when Talos turns it into the forests and plains we see in Oblivion, that's direct proof that he achieved CHIM. I adore the concept of CHIM, I think it's one of the coolest parts of the Elder Scrolls lore. It's disappointing to see it ignored.

What's even more disappointing is that the "Cyrodiil is jungle" bit isn't some obscure bit of trivia from Daggerfall back in the '90's. There was an NPC in the main city in Skyrim literally SCREAMING about it. In the most recent game released.

But finally I'm disappointed because making Cyrodiil a jungle would have been cool and interesting. It would have been a neat departure from the stereotypical fantasy forests and plains. Of course, they also decided to make Altmer architecture look generic as hell, despite having various examples from Morrowind on how to make unique magical structures. Oh, but "you can't make buildings out of poetry." Screw you, this is a world where magic is common. You didn't even try.

@Scorchien

I just play the fucking games. Lore reconciliation is a fanboy OCD issue. :)
    gervaise1MrMelGibsonYashaX

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Also that these "cat people" have 26 sub speciese. And that whiich one any given Khajiit is is dependent on the Lunar Lattice of the day they where born. These range from mammoth sized battle tigers to simple intelligent house cats. Even more so there are more complex and interesting speciece like the mane who is born when Masser and Secunda eclipse (and is also neutral leader of the 16 kingdoms), or the Dagi.
    edited August 2018
    Scorchien said:

But finally I'm disappointed because making Cyrodiil a jungle would have been cool and interesting. It would have been a neat departure from the stereotypical fantasy forests and plains. Of course, they also decided to make Altmer architecture look generic as hell, despite having various examples from Morrowind on how to make unique magical structures. Oh, but "you can't make buildings out of poetry." Screw you, this is a world where magic is common. You didn't even try.

I personally get turned off of jungles so I guess I'm glad it's not a jungle.

Also the "magical structures" in Morrowind were Telvanni. They took what was around and worked with it.

Could the altmer been different? Sure I suppose but sometimes I think some players just have ADD and unless everything is made as different as it can be, they just lose interest.

Again, I'm all for lore but I also acknowledge that it's "their" lore. They can change it, redact it, add to it as they see fit.

So if I played an Elder Scrolls game where Cyrrodiil was a desert then "so bit it, it's a desert." if I play an Elder Scrolls game where it's an ash field then "so be it, it's an ash field."

I think it would be different if they took an author's work and translated it and then made changes. But again, it's their game lore to change.

IselinSlyLoKMrMelGibson

edited August 2018
    It is obvious we have very different views on this, and again after about 250 hours into ESO it feels like we must be from different universes to have such a stark different view on the game. For me I have never been able to take anything that have happened in the game seriously at all. It all just feels comical. And that is not even taking into consideration the actual gameplay with enemies that stand around just waiting for you and "Reset" when you walk to far away from them. It all feels so extremely artificial in the same way other MMO:s are where everything is just a grind and nothing is really immersive at all. The goal has not been to not cut corners to make the best game possible, but to cash in on an already predefined genre and formula. Sure previous TES games have also been a bit condensed, but here it is on a whole new level where you do one "epic" important thing after another in such a rapid pace that it just becomes comical after a while. 

As for the books though I can't really say, perhaps they are of the same quality as the previous games. Hopefully they are actually made by the same people and they have a core team in charge of that part so it is possible the same level of love and passion has gone into those. I am more generally speaking of the whole game. It is just painfully mediocre and unoriginal in every area. It is basically just a clone of other MMO:s, but with the TES IP slapped on. When I play Arena, Daggerfall , Morrowind, Oblivion and Skryim I really can feel there was a deeply passionate team behind these games that really cared about what they where doing, down to the tiniest detail, and doing that thing as best they could and not really looking what other people where doing. There are some games that really oozes of that quality to them where you really feel they where made with great love. I don't get that feeling anywhere when I play ESO, it just feels purely made from a business angle to cash in on the franchise. I have honestly felt this seems to be the case overall now and that things are going in a slightly wrong direction, from ESO, to mobile games and card games with the TES and Fallout ip on them (all with microtransactions). (And that is not not to even mention the latest news of the paid mods). To me Bethesda have always been one of those companies that I have had a deep respect for that really cares deeply about what they are doing and had great integrity in the quality of the products. I don't feel that about many other gaming companies, maybe CD project red and Rockstar Games. However things look more and more like EA or something instead. From the look of the general fanbase it does not seem like it is going by unnoticed though, which is a good thing.    

How many things that are supposed to be a bit mysterious and important are just slapped in very sloppy. Like the reskin of a normal spider enemy for when you are actually talking to Mephala for the first time. They did not even bother to make a proper unique model for this god. Just slap in a normal spider enemy and make it slightly transparent, and done. Another questmission done to tick off and collect and you are a bit closer to the 1000 quest completed achievement. Because quantity over quality..yeah.