Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the cheaters be the only winners?

124»

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Quizzical said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:
         There will always be cheaters , but i always wonder if they really feel a winner when the finish a session .. One would think that anyone with a conscious would know they really did not Win ..

I remember going and meeting with the Devs of Fallen Earth before its release , was a really good meeting , Game had/has such Potential there really is some great mechainics to the game , And was a very accdictive and fun time , till you hit the PVP zones ... And i enjoy PVP but the cheaters were rampant and spoiled the game for many, seems most that are left is just cheats ...

Real Shame for Fallen Earth , its what drove many away if they could get it under control , there is a game in there that is very good and would attract a strong niche following
    I really wish I could find the article, but studies were done and it does in fact produce the same effect as a "legitimate" win. It's only when they get caught that it has a negative effect.
    You should be aware that a large fraction of studies of that sort are garbage.  They want to examine some question, but it's hard to get at it directly, so they create some proxy for it that is only loosely related to what they want to study, but much easier to measure.  To get people to participate in the study, they require a bunch of college students to do so for course credit.  And then the students know that they're probably being lied to as part of the study, so they don't take it seriously, anyway.
    That may be, but I've seen (and done myself) some mental rationalization doozies. It would not surprise me to find that cheaters actually "lie to themselves to make it right." I'm no expert, but I am observant :)
    It's possible to have a study that is garbage but happens to give a conclusion that is accurate.  It's pretty common for people running a study to have some idea of what conclusion they expect.  Given ambiguous data, it's not terribly difficult to find some way to make it give the conclusion you expected by a statistically significant margin.  You can do this even if your data is purely random noise.  The "expected" conclusion is often accurate, which is why it was expected in the first place.
    So very true!

When one considers that most studies are based on "inferences" and "projections" (taking a small number and "assuming" the patterns hold true when expanded), I don't hold "studies" in much regard :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR