Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG player wanting to come back. I need suggestions.

fakepowfakepow Member UncommonPosts: 3
Hi there. I'm an old MMORPG player. I was never a pro player and i mostly always played for fun. Due to some personal issues, i stopped playing long time ago, but now, fortunately, i am able to go back. It has been years since i last played any MMORPG and i was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions regarding what to play. To help with that, i'm going to say what i played, what i usually like on MMORPG and regarding item mall / spending real money:

1) What i played (that i remember): the MMOs i most played where Tales of Pirates, Tera, Rohan: Blood Feud and Scarlet Blade, but i played many others in short bursts that i don't really remember from the top of my head now. I'm thinking on going back either to Tera or Rohan, but i don't know yet.

2) What i usually like on MMORPG: what i like most on MMORPG is to play support roles. I play MMOs to play with other people, and supporting role is the easiest role to find people to play. I really like to play healers and i prefer to play PVE, dungeons with others rather than PVP. When i play PVP, i prefer to play as group PVP, supporting others. I also like to play healers because they are normally the less-played class so you are a bit more rare on the game itself.

3) Using real money: i can use real money on MMORPGs, but only on short bursts. I'm seeking only free-to-play games and i wouldn't spend more than, normally, the minimum once in a while (let's say, 10 or 20 dollars a month, if i really like the game).

Considering all that. ANy of you would have any good suggestion for me?

Thanks in advance =)

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Have you tried Star Wars the Old Republic? It has a free to play model.
    PhryMrMelGibson

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• fakepowfakepow Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I never cared about Star Wars. Never bothered to watch the movies and don't particularly like the universe.
    So, no suggestion? =\
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    fakepow said:
    I never cared about Star Wars. Never bothered to watch the movies and don't particularly like the universe.
    So, no suggestion? =\
    Well, there are a lot of suggestions or "no" suggestions depending on how you look at it. Meaning, mostly older mmo's.

Not a lot of new mmo's. There are a few in development such as Ashes of Creation of Pantheon that might work if/when they are released.

As far as what you can play now, You can be a healer (use a healing staff) in Elder Scrolls Online, you might have to pay an up front fee but then can play without spending money (you may or nay not want to) you can be support/healer in in Lord of the Rings Online which is free to play.

PhryMrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Your best bet is to play Tera or Rohan and see if they still scratch that itch for you. If not, research others while you play or ask about others in game.

These threads rarely turn into anything other than a bunch of suggestions that all get shot down based on some previously unmentioned criteria. Then it all devolves into people arguing as to what is or isn't an MMO, what fits the original criteria, and why their favored game is the best, regardless of whether or not it fits anything you have mentioned.

You say you want to return to MMORPGs. Nobody really wants to return to MMORPGs in general; they want to return to the MMORPGs they already played and have memories of. Everything else will be shot down as too different, already tried and hated, or have no interest. Even if they do fit everything you have stated you are looking for to a T. Your rose colored glasses are still out there running fine. Try them on again. Best of luck and happy returns.
    KyleranAmatheCryomatrixPhryMrMelGibson
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Try Bless, seems like one you might enjoy.
    Phry

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I think LOTRO would fit well
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Leave again, and come back in 5 years or so....

Gut Out!
    Iselin

What, me worry?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Elder Scrolls Online is not exactly free to play but close. You need to buy the game, but the base game can be had for $9.99 if you shop around and any sub is optional after that.

There are a lot of dungeons and it uses the standard trinity makeup with a tank a healer and 2 DPS. I mostly play healer myself and the random queue for a healer is anywhere from instant to 2 or 3 minutes depending on day and time.

The PVP is like Dark Age of Camelot and definitely group based with a lot for healers to do and contribute. And unlike other games of this type, healers get as much credit (maybe even more) as anyone else.

It's also extremely content rich. There are literally years of questing in the game. It  uses level scaling -- all the mobs everywhere are the same level and if you're below their level you get scaled up until you are at their or higher level -- so you can follow the main story breadcrumbs or just go play and quest wherever something interests you.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    If you're looking for an MMORPG experience, I'd definitely suggest LotRO or EQ1/2.  All three have a reasonable FTP model.  None of these games are what they used to be, i.e., grouping at low levels is pretty much a thing of the past.  They're old, yes, but all three are in that category of what I consider 'essential' MMORPGs.

If you really want a group oriented game, then good luck.  Almost all of the games currently running are solo oriented, either through design, boxing, lack of player or level segregation.  If you do find that solo experience today, let us know.  There's a hoard of forum members waiting on games to play next year or year after that.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Kyleran said:
    You are mean.
    KyleranPhryMrMelGibson

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    Kyleran said:
    You are mean.
    You saw right through me eh?
    MrMelGibson

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Why not try a survival game like conan exiles or ark? They are new perhaps you will like it.

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    +1 to LotRO from me as well.

The "real" support classes are not even close to what they were years ago, but that's still more than other games have, since the support role went to the way of the dodo in the new games. Don't get me wrong, cappy and LMstill can CC and buff/debuff, but they are mainly dps classes now.

The two healers are more dps-focused too, but they are still needed in group content. If you like healers "to find people to play. I really like to play healers and i prefer to play PVE, dungeons with others" then you will be in a good place with LotRO, there is always a shortage on heals :wink:  and the players are nice and friendly.

Pvp raids needs healers too, but (the third, money-point) that's not available for free... however, LotRO is mainly a PvE game, and in that dept. the f2p is pretty good.
    If you like the game after the first few weeks, if is advised to sub for a month, that leaves a ton of stuff unlocked after the sub wears off.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Havent played it in awhile but there was some issue with LoTRO f2p and how much money you could have....It was an incredibly small amount...I remember being capped out moneywise at level 10
  • paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Considering how much time playing a mmorpg takes. I would reccomend cashing out to play a proper mmo if you want to have a great time.

WoW just released a new expansion a week'ish ago. So if you can find the cash that would be my recomandation and where I would go if I was going to play a game now. I haven't played Wow since vanilla but I've played a lot of the other mmos over the years but few are as well done as Wow. 

With the purchase of a new wow game you get a high lvl character so you don't have to play through all the old content. 
  • Zeppel80Zeppel80 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Well, if you liked Scarlet Blade (shame on you) it's still up on a private server.  https://sb.vendettagn.com/
    Kyleran
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    paul43 said:
    Considering how much time playing a mmorpg takes. I would reccomend cashing out to play a proper mmo if you want to have a great time.

WoW just released a new expansion a week'ish ago. So if you can find the cash that would be my recomandation and where I would go if I was going to play a game now. I haven't played Wow since vanilla but I've played a lot of the other mmos over the years but few are as well done as Wow. 

With the purchase of a new wow game you get a high lvl character so you don't have to play through all the old content. 
    While you could certainly do that, i wouldn't advise it as with WoW the fun part is as you level up, once you reach max level your stuck with either raids or pvp, or retire the character and start over with a new one. :/
    edited August 2018
    Zeppel80 said:
    Well, if you liked Scarlet Blade (shame on you) it's still up on a private server.  https://sb.vendettagn.com/
    Which is why I suggested Bless.

• fakepowfakepow Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Thank you all for your kind answers. I'm going to answer all of you quickly.
    I'm going to take a look at Ashews of Creation and Pantheon, to see what they are about.
    Lords of the Ring Online is a good suggestion, i'm going to check it out too.
    Thanks a lot for the comment frostymug, you are right on that.
    I'm also going to take a looK at Dark Age of Camelot and Everquest.
    Conan Exiles and Ark are also good suggestions i'm ging to take a look at.
    About Scarlet Blade, yes, i liked it, shame on me. If Bless has more or less the same idea, i am DAMN sure i'm going to check it out too :D
    Thanks a ton about Scarlet Blade private server. If it is good enough, i may stick to that one (shame on me again).